Author Topic: prepping/disaster preparedness  (Read 7778 times)

Eggie Vedder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
Re: prepping/disaster preparedness
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2021, 11:18:21 AM »
Expand Quote
I understand prepping for a natural disaster if you live in tornado alley or some other area that is prone to wildfire, hurricane, earthquake, etc. but genuine question: what do other preppers think is going to happen? Like is it a Zombie Apocalypse or WWIII? Even if the internet goes out, it would be disorienting but I don’t think people would go out in the streets and start killing each other. Societal norms don’t break down that easily. Likely people would be compelled to work together if shit hit the fan because evolution has really drilled social interaction into our brains. I can’t think of a logical situation that would get society to a point where people are going every man for himself. It’s just so outside of our nature.
[close]

i really don't want to be a dick here, but your comment just radiates myopic privilege and although it's subtle, your smugness leaves a bad taste...but at least you're being "logical" bruh...the rest of us can only hope and aspire to be so logical.

first, are you going to try to act like the vast and varied social, economic, and geographic landscape of the US is some kind of monolithic thing that can be defined by and adheres to a single set of "Societal norms," and that even if one was to humor you in this, that these norms  would "break down" in some uniform way in urban centers, versus inner-ring suburbs, versus affluent suburbs/exurbs, versus rural areas? which isn't even to get into the specifics of the wide variety of potential "disasters" that have occurred and could occur again.

so, in your life, you've never experienced desperate people on the street "going every man for himself"? must be nice.

finally, are you suggesting that some of us at least aspiring to be modestly prepared for completely feasible "disasters," somehow equates to us operating in a every-human-for-themself way? when/if things get bad in a certain place, won't people need resources in the first place, to share with others?

I did not have the intention of being smug when I said that I don’t see a logical path for society to be upended. I meant following my logic from my personal experiences. Logic and reason are not objective so I am not saying my logical process is better than someone else’s. I was genuinely asking what other people’s drive is to prep for something like that out of very real curiosity. If someone is willing to spend large sums of money for months worth of non-perishable foods and ammunition, there has to be a possible outcome where they see that being necessary. I was just asking for an explanation on what that would look like.

My only reason for explaining why I currently do not see it as necessary was to potentially have someone answer to those thoughts. I have lived in Alabama, Texas, Florida, California, Maryland, Utah, and New York so I am aware of how vastly different Americans can be even within the same city. I also don’t think guns are bad. Shooting for sport is fun and I don’t think people are weird for enjoying that or needing out about it.

I also do prep myself to some extent. I backpack so I have a good water filtration system. I have a handy grab and go first aid kit and I keep a small store of food in case there is any natural disaster.

Lebanon was in pretty intense civil war for 25 years but hotels and super markets still ran normally. Even in Cambodia when it wasn’t clear that there was any government at all during the Khmer Rouge, communities still formed little mini governments with markets and policing. From what I have seen, people really want to work together and live normally even during war or hardship. It’s very much in our nature so I was just wondering what would break that down. I’m not asking that to be a dick, I genuinely want to know. I fully except that there may be a reason that I don’t know and I don’t think I’m smarter than someone else. The closest thing I can imagine would be like full on nuclear fallout but solely in my opinion, the areas that are not bombed would remain largely stable and people from bombed areas that survive would move into those areas. I think Mutual Assured Destruction makes nuclear war unlikely though. Governments seem to like to funnel money into poor countries and watch them fight it out instead of fighting on their own soil.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2021, 08:17:00 PM »
I mostly agree with the above sentiment.

By all means, be prepared for a spasm of unrest or time of scarcity but anything beyond that (say you anticipate any situation that requires more then 1000 rounds) then you best learn to be entirely self sufficient off the land or at sea and be prepared to get yourself there and peace out from humanity at large.

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -480
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2021, 02:00:44 AM »
i have some cool stuff for camping...  ::)
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2021, 12:08:57 PM »
No one mentioned toilet paper. I guess that kind of makes you not prepared. Amateurs.

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2021, 06:34:05 PM »
I understand prepping for a natural disaster if you live in tornado alley or some other area that is prone to wildfire, hurricane, earthquake, etc. but genuine question: what do other preppers think is going to happen? Like is it a Zombie Apocalypse or WWIII? Even if the internet goes out, it would be disorienting but I don’t think people would go out in the streets and start killing each other. Societal norms don’t break down that easily. Likely people would be compelled to work together if shit hit the fan because evolution has really drilled social interaction into our brains. I can’t think of a logical situation that would get society to a point where people are going every man for himself. It’s just so outside of our nature.

But natural disasters happen everywhere. And many would say the last year was a good example of a natural disaster that was worth prepping for.

The fact that toilet paper was worth fighting over for so many people, reached hoarding levels and was even mentioned several times in this thread is pretty funny. You won't die if you don't have your paper squares to wipe lol.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2021, 06:52:21 PM »
I like talking about it like hypotheticals and stuff but I reckon if stuff proper happened like mad max type stuff we’d all be fucked anyway there would be bandits and shit you wouldn’t wanna meet new people at all it would be savage as, fuck that
listen to cosmic psychos

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2021, 08:57:40 PM »
I live near a river and there are lots of deer nearby. The deer are so accustomed to people that I'm often pissing in my backyard with one watching me 10 feet away.

I specialize in non-lethal and close combat with a healthy collection of knives sharpened and scattered all over my house. I'm good at appearing harmless until I'm not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk59imFr6yI
Don't mess with @layzieyez unless you want that smoke folks.  If you're within 21' and hear him say, "Just hanging out." and he's in the jorts you better mind your P's and Q's. 8) 

In regards to firearms, one thing that I encourage people (in America) to consider is human nature.  Look at what people do on Black Friday for $5 dollar toasters or other things they want.  Imagine what people will do for things they need for survival, like food and water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xL8rE9DT4g

Access to water is actually the most important thing to consider in my opinion.  I stocked up on waterbricks just in case. https://www.waterbrick.org/shop/

All of the shelf stable food I have requires hot water alone for cooking.

Because of this I wanted the ability to heat water in a worst case scenario, like if there is a power grid issue for an extended period of time.
https://4patriots.com/products/sun-kettle-solar-cooker?variant=23130116128853&AFID=ACQ_GO_SHP_SKT_Sr-11&utm_campaign=ACQ_GO_SHP_SKT_Sr-11&utm_medium=u&utm_term=cid-9521486856&utm_content=agid-94021099141_adid-421670863866&source=cid-9521486856_agid-94021099141_ad-421670863866_gclid-Cj0KCQjw8vqGBhC_ARIsADMSd1CJtDsvQEt5VqIWwDq0H_HJ81UZfWNZfFFSCQX-nR6yrUsGNFn9orAaAoUaEALw_wcB&utm_source=youtube_gclid-Cj0KCQjw8vqGBhC_ARIsADMSd1CJtDsvQEt5VqIWwDq0H_HJ81UZfWNZfFFSCQX-nR6yrUsGNFn9orAaAoUaEALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8vqGBhC_ARIsADMSd1CJtDsvQEt5VqIWwDq0H_HJ81UZfWNZfFFSCQX-nR6yrUsGNFn9orAaAoUaEALw_wcB

This is enough for me. I bought another one as a back up.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 09:05:16 PM by pugmaster »
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

mushroom slice

« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2021, 07:37:53 AM »
I’m saving a vial for when it all goes down. I’ll trip my way through it all. No zombies gonna get me.
Why is the water on fire? The end is near
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zcN1U7zJjVc

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2021, 08:43:46 AM »
I live near a river and there are lots of deer nearby. The deer are so accustomed to people that I'm often pissing in my backyard with one watching me 10 feet away.

I specialize in non-lethal and close combat with a healthy collection of knives sharpened and scattered all over my house. I'm good at appearing harmless until I'm not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk59imFr6yI
Don't mess with @layzieyez unless you want that smoke folks.  If you're within 21' and hear him say, "Just hanging out." and he's in the jorts you better mind your P's and Q's. 8) 

Awesome vid had me laughing hard. Thanks for that.

If I have to, I'm willing to burn out someone's retinas with my high power green laser pens to render them practically blind before I quietly flank them like a velociraptor with one of these -

You can practically decapitate someone with these quite easily because of the weight on the blade end.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2021, 09:01:20 AM »
That’s crazy man
listen to cosmic psychos

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2021, 09:43:54 AM »
Here's a couple of names to start you on your search for knife and self defense competency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeZCFtR61AQ

My other favorite knife is the karambit.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karambit

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2021, 02:34:10 PM »
I’m saving a vial for when it all goes down. I’ll trip my way through it all. No zombies gonna get me.

fuck

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2021, 09:58:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

fuck

Fires in the hills. Fires in the sea. Tee hee hee.
Seriously, fire is scary as can be. There have been a few small ones popping up all around me lately. Always waiting for that small one to get out of control. And we've got dipshits firing off fireworks tonight...

Ffwiw, there are a significant amount of fire/climate refugees all over the west coast.  Its bleak. It won't be as smooth a way of living at first, but I've got to get myself back to Vermont. But then its Lyme's I've gotta look out for.  :-\
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2021, 07:12:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

i really don't want to be a dick here, but your comment just radiates myopic privilege and although it's subtle, your smugness leaves a bad taste...but at least you're being "logical" bruh...the rest of us can only hope and aspire to be so logical.

first, are you going to try to act like the vast and varied social, economic, and geographic landscape of the US is some kind of monolithic thing that can be defined by and adheres to a single set of "Societal norms," and that even if one was to humor you in this, that these norms  would "break down" in some uniform way in urban centers, versus inner-ring suburbs, versus affluent suburbs/exurbs, versus rural areas? which isn't even to get into the specifics of the wide variety of potential "disasters" that have occurred and could occur again.

so, in your life, you've never experienced desperate people on the street "going every man for himself"? must be nice.

finally, are you suggesting that some of us at least aspiring to be modestly prepared for completely feasible "disasters," somehow equates to us operating in a every-human-for-themself way? when/if things get bad in a certain place, won't people need resources in the first place, to share with others?
[close]

I did not have the intention of being smug when I said that I don’t see a logical path for society to be upended. I meant following my logic from my personal experiences. Logic and reason are not objective so I am not saying my logical process is better than someone else’s. I was genuinely asking what other people’s drive is to prep for something like that out of very real curiosity. If someone is willing to spend large sums of money for months worth of non-perishable foods and ammunition, there has to be a possible outcome where they see that being necessary. I was just asking for an explanation on what that would look like.

My only reason for explaining why I currently do not see it as necessary was to potentially have someone answer to those thoughts. I have lived in Alabama, Texas, Florida, California, Maryland, Utah, and New York so I am aware of how vastly different Americans can be even within the same city. I also don’t think guns are bad. Shooting for sport is fun and I don’t think people are weird for enjoying that or needing out about it.

I also do prep myself to some extent. I backpack so I have a good water filtration system. I have a handy grab and go first aid kit and I keep a small store of food in case there is any natural disaster.

Lebanon was in pretty intense civil war for 25 years but hotels and super markets still ran normally. Even in Cambodia when it wasn’t clear that there was any government at all during the Khmer Rouge, communities still formed little mini governments with markets and policing. From what I have seen, people really want to work together and live normally even during war or hardship. It’s very much in our nature so I was just wondering what would break that down. I’m not asking that to be a dick, I genuinely want to know. I fully except that there may be a reason that I don’t know and I don’t think I’m smarter than someone else. The closest thing I can imagine would be like full on nuclear fallout but solely in my opinion, the areas that are not bombed would remain largely stable and people from bombed areas that survive would move into those areas. I think Mutual Assured Destruction makes nuclear war unlikely though. Governments seem to like to funnel money into poor countries and watch them fight it out instead of fighting on their own soil.

Yeah I'm interested too what possible expected outcome could happen.

Especially needing that quite frankly insane amount of guns and ammo.

Some of those guns are seriously nuts.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2021, 07:27:00 AM »

These are pretty much my thoughts/questions on the subject. Good post.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2021, 07:54:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

regarding "what would break that down"...are you serious? well shit man, first thing that comes to mind is when there's only 6 of the hottest new video game at WalMart on "black Friday." but if that doesn't do it for you, how about the acute poverty and desperation, like we see in most big cities right now, for instance back here in Detroit...of course, the parts of the cities that aren't heavily policed and gentrified, right?

ok, i'm not trying to become the spokesperson for "prepping" in this, but since this thread has began, people have discussed everything from MREs to IFAKs, guns and ammunition to dehydrated food, MIRA gas masks to storing rice, etc.

so, aspiring to be as logical as Eggie is, what specifically out of all of the things are you fine people curious about? most things have specific applications, and when people purchase them and store them they have various scenarios in mind in some cases, and specific ones for others. for instance, i mentioned looking into MIRA gas masks and filters, and--of course, if you actually read my post--i mention being within 20 to 30 miles of a nuclear power plant. in addition to that, i can say, that in the near 50 years my family has lived in this home, we've been evacuated twice, and the last time was for a chemical spill.

but as predictable as people are in here, i assume that this all boils down to guns and ammo. Richard says, "Some of those guns are seriously nuts," and i'd love to know what this means...what exactly does "nuts" mean and what are your criteria for deciding one gun is "nuts" and one gun is--one guesses--acceptable?

my ammo surplus is actually at around 9,000 rounds total these days (for the various calibers in my gun safe), and one of the main reasons for this, is because i have the resources (including to store it long term in air-tight ammo cans), and my friends and family and i shoot together regularly and--luckily--we all started purchasing it up and storing it way before ammo prices doubled, trebled, and beyond in the past year or so. but i still assume that's not what people are looking for, so if you want to have some picture regarding why i feel the need to be armed to this degree, actually read above in the thread fellas...

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2021, 08:00:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

regarding "what would break that down"...are you serious? well shit man, first thing that comes to mind is when there's only 6 of the hottest new video game at WalMart on "black Friday." but if that doesn't do it for you, how about the acute poverty and desperation, like we see in most big cities right now, for instance back here in Detroit...of course, the parts of the cities that aren't heavily policed and gentrified, right?

ok, i'm not trying to become the spokesperson for "prepping" in this, but since this thread has began, people have discussed everything from MREs to IFAKs, guns and ammunition to dehydrated food, MIRA gas masks to storing rice, etc.

so, aspiring to be as logical as Eggie is, what specifically out of all of the things are you fine people curious about? most things have specific applications, and when people purchase them and store them they have various scenarios in mind in some cases, and specific ones for others. for instance, i mentioned looking into MIRA gas masks and filters, and--of course, if you actually read my post--i mention being within 20 to 30 miles of a nuclear power plant. in addition to that, i can say, that in the near 50 years my family has lived in this home, we've been evacuated twice, and the last time was for a chemical spill.

but as predictable as people are in here, i assume that this all boils down to guns and ammo. Richard says, "Some of those guns are seriously nuts," and i'd love to know what this means...what exactly does "nuts" mean and what are your criteria for deciding one gun is "nuts" and one gun is--one guesses--acceptable?

my ammo surplus is actually at around 9,000 rounds total these days (for the various calibers in my gun safe), and one of the main reasons for this, is because i have the resources (including to store it long term in air-tight ammo cans), and my friends and family and i shoot together regularly and--luckily--we all started purchasing it up and storing it way before ammo prices doubled, trebled, and beyond in the past year or so. but i still assume that's not what people are looking for, so if you want to have some picture regarding why i feel the need to be armed to this degree, actually read above in the thread fellas...

I mean nuts as in they seem to be OTT

But it's none of my business, if someone wants to prep for every possible outcome then so be it. I just don't see what possible scenario would justify having that arsenal.

I will say if I moved into a house and found out my neighbor had that kind of setup in his house it would make me uneasy.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2021, 08:22:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

But it's none of my business, if someone wants to prep for every possible outcome then so be it. I just don't see what possible scenario would justify having that arsenal.

I will say if I moved into a house and found out my neighbor had that kind of setup in his house it would make me uneasy.

really? interesting, but fair enough, we all have our own lives and experiences that form our perspectives. for me, most of my neighbors are responsible people, with gun safes, etc., and i trust most of my neighbors and the families around me, who are hard-working, and look out for one another, and most of them have CPLs, which you can not get if you have any kind of record. that being said, there's no reason you should know what your neighbor possesses anyway, unless you're tight enough with them to know this kind of info.

yeah, regarding certain firearms being "OTT," and others not, i guess that's just something we can agree to disagree about. there still aren't any fully automatic weapons anywhere around me or anyone i know, unlike the criminalized desperate people some of us are in closer proximity to on the daily than others, and of course, unlike that state in its various forms...and being in Michigan, unfortunately we're surrounded by plenty of Trump-loving far-right militia wingnuts. when the FBI went to arrest the first asshole in the Whitmer kidnapping shitshow, it was in a Texas Roadhouse parking lot just a couple of miles from me, and there was a shootout right there in the fucking parking lot, and they had to shoot and kill that guy...just a couple of miles away...

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2021, 02:57:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

really? interesting, but fair enough, we all have our own lives and experiences that form our perspectives. for me, most of my neighbors are responsible people, with gun safes, etc., and i trust most of my neighbors and the families around me, who are hard-working, and look out for one another, and most of them have CPLs, which you can not get if you have any kind of record. that being said, there's no reason you should know what your neighbor possesses anyway, unless you're tight enough with them to know this kind of info.

yeah, regarding certain firearms being "OTT," and others not, i guess that's just something we can agree to disagree about. there still aren't any fully automatic weapons anywhere around me or anyone i know, unlike the criminalized desperate people some of us are in closer proximity to on the daily than others, and of course, unlike that state in its various forms...and being in Michigan, unfortunately we're surrounded by plenty of Trump-loving far-right militia wingnuts. when the FBI went to arrest the first asshole in the Whitmer kidnapping shitshow, it was in a Texas Roadhouse parking lot just a couple of miles from me, and there was a shootout right there in the fucking parking lot, and they had to shoot and kill that guy...just a couple of miles away...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NriOZ6ofj_Q

Never forget:

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2021, 03:49:33 PM »
I suppose another way to explain why someone may want to have multiple guns and lots of ammunition directly ties to the 2000 rap anthem "EI" by Nelly.

In his song, Nelly states, and I quote,
"Uh I'm a sucka for corn rows and manicured toes, (hey)
Fendi capri pants and Parasucos, (alright)"

In essence, there are certain things that Nelly has a preference for.  In this case, specific women’s hairstyles, grooming habits, and high-end clothing brands.

Regrettably, none of us are Nelly.  :'(

And yet, we share one thing in common: we too have our own preferences. 

Taking a look at some of the other threads that pertain to different hobbies, such as music equipment and board setups, we can readily identify that when people delve into certain hobbies that they big into have a deeper understanding of the equipment that is used in a particular hobby. For example, a skateboarder may have a quiver of various setups. Some different ways that these setups may vary from one another can include, but are not limited to: board size, board length, wheelbase, board shape, manufacturer or woodshop, graphic, trucks, wheel brand, wheel size, wheel shape, etc.  Some people prefer a single board for all terrain, whereas other people prefer to have a “slappy board”, a “cruiser”, a “street board”, a “vert board”, etc.

A car aficionado may want to have a muscle car, a truck, an RV, etc.

Caption: A satisfied customer

The individuals who possess an interest in firearms can find themselves in a similar type of a situation. Various types of guns exist which have specific applications. Similar to skateboarding, there are many different features of a gun that could be modified. For example, altering the components of a shotgun by changing the barrel can improve the performance for hunting with a specific type of shell.  Some different “setups” could be: Handgun, revolver, rifle, shotgun, etc.  As a person becomes more familiar with manufacturers, bullet types that they prefer, and aftermarket upgrades, l can imagine it is quite easy to amass a collection.

I only have 1 handgun right now, but I completely understand why someone could have many more. 

In regard to the storage of ammunition, I think it is not very well known that ammo is quite easy to go through if you go to a shooting range.  I could easily go through 150-200 rounds when I would go to the range by myself.  If you go with multiple guns, it is easy to go through many more rounds as you can let one gun cool off while you shoot the others.  Additionally, bullets/ammo can differ in terms of the “grain”, the tip type, and the shell type.

Caption: Man asks himself, "What am I doing with my life?"

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but basically I keep water on hand and food because.... I am going to need it and use it anyway.  Buying in bulk is cheaper and it never hurts to have extra in case things are not going well.  I don't think it is crazy to imagine a scenario where a more potent virus comes along.  If the death rate was 20% for people that are similar to myself, I would prefer to stay at home as much as possible when there was a high infection rate in my area. 

But even when times are not bad, I still use the items in my collection.  Beans, rice, pasta, canned food I can incorporate into my weekly food planning, cycling in new items to replenish used items so that I don't have to throw anything else.

Caption: Texas Roadhouse, Oh boy!

To end with a brief illustration: Pugmaster visits Texas Roadhouse.

As the pandemic begins to come to an end, I decide that I want to treat myself out to a night on the town, and by town I mean Texas Roadhouse.  I go alone, being that I have no wife, girlfriend, or any dating prospects whatsoever. I am looking forward to getting one of those waiting vibrators that they give you while they clear tables so that I can do one thing and one thing only: Eat as many salted peanuts as possible without upsetting others in the waiting area.

I arrive at 6:30 expecting a sizable dinner rush, only to find a mostly empty parking lot. I walk in and the hostess is able to seat me immediately. Thinking quickly on my feet, I tell her that I am a party of two and am going to wait for the other person.  I reach into my pocket to retrieve a Ziplock seal top sandwhich bag.  I fill my baggie halfway full with peanuts so that I may complete my primary objective: Eat those God Damn peanuts.  After filling my bag, I let the hostess know that I am ready to be seated.

End scene.

In this example I came prepared with a baggie.  I had it in case that I needed it, but it would have been just fine if I didn't require the baggie.  I could definitely use it in the future for other snacks, sandwiches, extra screws that come with IKEA furniture, etc.

There is no way I am going to look like an idiot in the waiting area of Texas Roadhouse ever again.  Not after last time.

Never forget:

dofrenzy

« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2021, 06:16:23 AM »

In regards to firearms, one thing that I encourage people (in America) to consider is human nature.  Look at what people do on Black Friday for $5 dollar toasters or other things they want.  Imagine what people will do for things they need for survival, like food and water.

This right here REALLY brought this whole thread home for me.  People be nasty.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2021, 07:59:10 AM »
I suppose another way to explain why someone may want to have multiple guns and lots of ammunition directly ties to the 2000 rap anthem "EI" by Nelly.

In his song, Nelly states, and I quote,
"Uh I'm a sucka for corn rows and manicured toes, (hey)
Fendi capri pants and Parasucos, (alright)"

In essence, there are certain things that Nelly has a preference for.  In this case, specific women’s hairstyles, grooming habits, and high-end clothing brands.

Regrettably, none of us are Nelly.  :'(

And yet, we share one thing in common: we too have our own preferences. 

Taking a look at some of the other threads that pertain to different hobbies, such as music equipment and board setups, we can readily identify that when people delve into certain hobbies that they big into have a deeper understanding of the equipment that is used in a particular hobby. For example, a skateboarder may have a quiver of various setups. Some different ways that these setups may vary from one another can include, but are not limited to: board size, board length, wheelbase, board shape, manufacturer or woodshop, graphic, trucks, wheel brand, wheel size, wheel shape, etc.  Some people prefer a single board for all terrain, whereas other people prefer to have a “slappy board”, a “cruiser”, a “street board”, a “vert board”, etc.

A car aficionado may want to have a muscle car, a truck, an RV, etc.

Caption: A satisfied customer

The individuals who possess an interest in firearms can find themselves in a similar type of a situation. Various types of guns exist which have specific applications. Similar to skateboarding, there are many different features of a gun that could be modified. For example, altering the components of a shotgun by changing the barrel can improve the performance for hunting with a specific type of shell.  Some different “setups” could be: Handgun, revolver, rifle, shotgun, etc.  As a person becomes more familiar with manufacturers, bullet types that they prefer, and aftermarket upgrades, l can imagine it is quite easy to amass a collection.

I only have 1 handgun right now, but I completely understand why someone could have many more. 

In regard to the storage of ammunition, I think it is not very well known that ammo is quite easy to go through if you go to a shooting range.  I could easily go through 150-200 rounds when I would go to the range by myself.  If you go with multiple guns, it is easy to go through many more rounds as you can let one gun cool off while you shoot the others.  Additionally, bullets/ammo can differ in terms of the “grain”, the tip type, and the shell type.

Caption: Man asks himself, "What am I doing with my life?"

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but basically I keep water on hand and food because.... I am going to need it and use it anyway.  Buying in bulk is cheaper and it never hurts to have extra in case things are not going well.  I don't think it is crazy to imagine a scenario where a more potent virus comes along.  If the death rate was 20% for people that are similar to myself, I would prefer to stay at home as much as possible when there was a high infection rate in my area. 

But even when times are not bad, I still use the items in my collection.  Beans, rice, pasta, canned food I can incorporate into my weekly food planning, cycling in new items to replenish used items so that I don't have to throw anything else.

Caption: Texas Roadhouse, Oh boy!

To end with a brief illustration: Pugmaster visits Texas Roadhouse.

As the pandemic begins to come to an end, I decide that I want to treat myself out to a night on the town, and by town I mean Texas Roadhouse.  I go alone, being that I have no wife, girlfriend, or any dating prospects whatsoever. I am looking forward to getting one of those waiting vibrators that they give you while they clear tables so that I can do one thing and one thing only: Eat as many salted peanuts as possible without upsetting others in the waiting area.

I arrive at 6:30 expecting a sizable dinner rush, only to find a mostly empty parking lot. I walk in and the hostess is able to seat me immediately. Thinking quickly on my feet, I tell her that I am a party of two and am going to wait for the other person.  I reach into my pocket to retrieve a Ziplock seal top sandwhich bag.  I fill my baggie halfway full with peanuts so that I may complete my primary objective: Eat those God Damn peanuts.  After filling my bag, I let the hostess know that I am ready to be seated.

End scene.

In this example I came prepared with a baggie.  I had it in case that I needed it, but it would have been just fine if I didn't require the baggie.  I could definitely use it in the future for other snacks, sandwiches, extra screws that come with IKEA furniture, etc.

There is no way I am going to look like an idiot in the waiting area of Texas Roadhouse ever again.  Not after last time.

now this is a post, and a sobering warning to all of us, to never go without at least one reliable baggie (preferably zip-lock?) when traversing our "Empire Wilderness."

you are of course absolutely right above Pug, regarding simply being a "gun enthusiast," as it were, and the analogy with the kind of obsession and fanaticism that skating engenders is apt. i didn't really go there with it on this page, because i already mentioned that on an earlier page when i talked about how many of us really just love to shoot--for one reason, because it is as hard to consistently do effectively and accurately as learning tricks on a skate board can be--and we are tech nerds about the infinite varieties of calibers, configurations, and platforms of firearms. there is so much to know...

...but, that would have been turning this thread into another thread on guns, and there's another thread for that specifically. they have a place in this thread obviously, but they are but one element of the conversation, and although it's obvious that's really all a number of people in this thread care about, i'll save the nerd-out stuff for the "anybody shoot guns" thread.

far less "sexy," is putting together IFAKs, and learning to safely and correctly use things like chest seals, tourniquets, clotting agents, etc., which has been a big part of all of this. a number of my close friends really had my back last October when we lost my mom to COVID and i had COVID too, so i recently put together really solid IFAKs for all of them, to keep in their cars and homes, which does get expensive at points, but is something everyone should be able to agree is essential, even if you're not preparing for any one thing.

i did not include the Benchmade Adamas fixed blade of course (or the ferro rod), but these are the epitome of practicality...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 08:06:33 AM by Deputy Wendell »

mushroom slice

« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2021, 07:59:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This right here REALLY brought this whole thread home for me.  People be nasty.
o

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2021, 07:20:45 AM »
i came across this brand recently and figured i'd share a link

https://nutrientsurvival.com/

almost everything is vegetarian, has shelf-lives of 18 to 25 years, and from what i've read, it's all pretty tasty--seems like a promising alternative to MREs. i just ordered one of a bunch of different items to try it out...