Author Topic: Dan Magee + halfwaybrooks beef with Swift Blazer  (Read 3414 times)

suckmadeck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
Dan Magee + halfwaybrooks beef with Swift Blazer
« on: November 08, 2021, 11:19:19 AM »

« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 05:06:48 PM by suckmadeck »

Heywood Jeblowme

• Rep: -23
Re: Dan Magee beef with Swift Blazer
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 11:26:24 AM »
I can’t tell if either is in the right. But they both sound like they stunted their emotional development with skateboarding at about 15 years old

drewdown

• Rep: -30
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 11:56:08 AM »
I back Dan 100%, dude is as standup and cool as they come not to mention in and around skateboarding for a long ass time.   

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 12:43:18 PM »
yeah im iffy on the repost accounts if anyone should be able to make these accounts it should be the filmers/people involved. its not cool that these dudes are monetizing off of other peoples work.

suckmadeck

Re: Dan Magee + halfwaybrooks beef with Swift Blazer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 05:08:31 PM »
UPDATE:

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 08:20:05 PM »
what a dipshit that swift dude is.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 08:59:37 PM »
Skate filmers already don't get the respect or pay that they deserve for everything they do. Fully backing Magee and Brooks on this one. Disappointing to see Swift Blazer be like that.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1372
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 09:46:53 PM »
There was the Saggy Clips meltdown, the Blatant Nostalgia gofundme cash grab, and now this dude not giving any credit. Soon we’ll find out Muckmouth has been running an international flat earth cabal. I hope that’s not the case @cousinharold

suckmadeck

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2021, 12:29:35 AM »
Skate filmers already don't get the respect or pay that they deserve for everything they do. Fully backing Magee and Brooks on this one. Disappointing to see Swift Blazer be like that.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2021, 03:07:23 AM »
If anything this is just going to give the repost accounts a bad name. Just fucking credit people who put in the time and work for clip/s you want to use for a remix or whatever AND ask for permission, it's really not that hard. If the local kids around here who run these local scene pages can simply be cool and just ask me when crediting and using clips, then so can someone running a page that solely reposts old skate media.

Also this is spot on;

Also Magee did mention this, too. I don't see the point in using a track that was already on the OG one? I mean it's a remix, right? Also just re-using a track that's already used on something by the same person if it wasn't on the OG edit, that's just weird too.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

SpruceCone

• Rep: -1
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 04:40:14 AM »
Who is Matt Swift aka @swiftblazer?
Is/was he someone in a skatescene somewere?
Or just some random dude?

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 07:36:29 AM »
If anything this is just going to give the repost accounts a bad name. Just fucking credit people who put in the time and work for clip/s you want to use for a remix or whatever AND ask for permission, it's really not that hard. If the local kids around here who run these local scene pages can simply be cool and just ask me when crediting and using clips, then so can someone running a page that solely reposts old skate media.

Also this is spot on;

Expand Quote
[close]

Also Magee did mention this, too. I don't see the point in using a track that was already on the OG one? I mean it's a remix, right? Also just re-using a track that's already used on something by the same person if it wasn't on the OG edit, that's just weird too.

Yes, yes and yes. I enjoy some of swiftblazer edits as a homage to the original videos - but he’s way out of line here. Fancy using someone elses video footage to make a compilation...and then saying “I wasn’t asked if my stuff could be used”. So silly, really kooking himself hard.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 07:58:53 AM »
Who? + who? and who?

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 11:27:18 AM »

He made Lost and Found, man.

Lost and Found.

Edit:
Also, just because you’re a big fan of the skate videos that someone, or a group of someones, created does not mean you own it or are entitled to repackaging it in your own little way. Especially when it’s something as generally fruitless as filming skating. You’re more than likely not getting paid (and if you are, it’s certainly not enough). An hour or two of one more always turns into you missing your dinner date for the last time in that relationship and you got a ticket because the parking meter expired. The real pay off you get is the fruits of your labor (or labour, what up Magee) being packaged in a hopefully iconic video that is brought up and referenced for years and years to come. Sometimes, that makes it all worth it. But your clip is probably going in a Capix Helmets ad in between a Nilton Neves part and a montage prominently featuring Woleni Dos Santos in a Digital video.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 11:36:35 AM by Allen. »
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2021, 11:45:09 AM »
Speaking as someone who reposts images and articles from skateboarding magazines... always, always, always give as much credit as you can. Think about all of the different people involved in getting that piece of media into your hands. Filmers, photographers, writers, photo editors, etc. all played a part and you should recognize it when appropriate. If you didn't tag a filmer of a clip because you were "too busy", then don't post the clip.

Edit: as a follow-up, another benefit of handing out regular credit is that people who worked on those products will really appreciate it (crazy, I know) and will occasionally reach out and comment or add some insider perspective to what you reposted. I've had a few conversations with Jaime Owens about the BTS of Skateboarder, and with Chris Bywater about being a photo editor there, just from regularly crediting images I've posted from Skateboarder.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 11:59:57 AM by blurst_of_times »
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Massivebellend

• Rep: -12
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2021, 12:39:53 PM »
Everyone’s correct, not giving credit to the OG filmer/editors is whack as hell, shame on you Swift Blazer.

Dan Magee can be a wee prick though & I’m really not keen on people airing their dirty laundry out on social media, but I guess these are the times we live in

KDP

• Rep: 12
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2021, 02:52:02 PM »
Who is Matt Swift aka @swiftblazer?
Is/was he someone in a skatescene somewere?
Or just some random dude?

Total random.

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2021, 06:43:44 AM »
Its really not that hard to give the time to look up who filmed something.   And then type a few characters and camera emoji to give them their credit.