Author Topic: Getting straight ollies again  (Read 12150 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Getting straight ollies again
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2018, 10:18:08 PM »
Use your other hand for a bit....

dragonblade

• Rep: -12
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2018, 03:25:27 AM »
I had another ollie practise session today but with very mixed results - just like the last time. And once again, I tried doing ollies on the move on hard ground. And just like the last time, I had to overcome the fear factor. Many times I would simply jump without popping the board. The other thing I find really weird is that if I concentrate really hard on keeping straight and parallel with the board, I also just jump without popping. This also happens while stationary too while concentrating hard on keeping parallel. And it happens if I go too slowly also. Though I can't ollie if I go too fast - it's got to be just the right speed.

Just like last time, there were a number of times when I turned frontside unfortunately. I think sometimes that happened as a fear response - turning to land one foot on the ground so I wouldn't fall from an unbalanced landing causing immense pain. Really bad I know and I hope that doesn't develop into a habit. Other times, I would ollie straight but just like last time, I would often land with my weight too far forward on the nose during the straight ollies. And other times I would land with too much weight on my heel side edge during straight ollies.

I hope I get more consistent tomorrow and improve those landings.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 06:25:17 AM by dragonblade »

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2018, 07:38:03 AM »
Holy shit, this fuckin' guy is writing a novel about how he can't ollie.

dragonblade

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2018, 08:39:43 AM »
By the way, my left leg is killing me. Think I strained a muscle there - probably abductor. Took a break from skating yesterday but persevered with the pain today. Hurts if I do a wide arcing kickturn. Though wasn't too bad during ollies. However now, I can't even lift that leg on it's own (I have to move it with my hand.) I'll see how it is tomorrow.

Fredonskateboard

• Rep: -5
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2018, 09:38:19 AM »
Pro tips:
Timing is essential - the timing between your pop, and when your start to slide ur front foot.
Actually slide ur foot - Ur ancle/foot should be rather sideways. Ive seen some noobs slide with their bottom sole.
Jump with the board, not against it - Typical noobs is to ollie, then they kinda... push their feet down so that they dont flow in the air. Again, jump with the board, not against it.
Bend properly at the knees. Many noobs bend in their back. Jump like you would without a board...
Proper down and up movement, not bend ur knee's, stay bended, and then jump...

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2018, 11:16:45 AM »
it really sounds like you just arent ready for ollies yet. it seems like you arent comfortable enough on the board in general to worry about getting off the ground. just ride around until you feel confident going fast. then you should worry about leaving the ground or board.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2018, 03:12:08 PM »
I have some thoughts that this guy is a troll fucking slap in the ass right now.   Or he's for real.  I respect and enjoy both options.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

dragonblade

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2018, 07:03:02 PM »
Well no skating today. Ive enough trouble walking on this bad leg, let alone skating. I wonder if yesterday's session aggravated it.

Nopes, I'm fine on the board. When I got back into skating, I spent at least a week riding around and refamiliarising myself with the basics which I'm doing okay with. I didn't attempt one single ollie during that time period. And when I started practising ollies, I didn't do them at the beginning of the session. I'd ride around and do kickturns etc for a fair while and then try ollies later on at the end of the session (stationary ollies to begin with.) Though I do admit there is a fear factor doing ollies while moving but I expect that will go away with time. Actually, what I really should do is spend more time rolling off steps with the front wheels raised. Ive done that with a step around the back a few times but can't do that there anymore as it's slate and really fragile - crumbles really easily. There are some gutters almost a km away that I could practise on (there's no proper footpath or sidewalk close to where I live.)

Overall, I think Ive made some progress towards straight ollies. To recap - back in the late 80s and early 90s, my ollies were straight while stationary but when I did them while moving, I'd turn frontside automatically - I just couldn't help it. Couldn't do rolling straight ollies anymore.

Currently, in 2018 - when I do ollies stationary, I turn frontside over 95% of the time - I wasn't expecting that. And when I try ollies while moving, I can do them straight roughly about a 1/3 of the time more or less.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2018, 08:13:31 PM »
i suggest not even worrying about your ollies being straight right now. get to the point where you can ollie easily and without fear while rolling slowly. once you know you can ollie every time start working on getting them straight.

since this thread started ive made a conscious effort to improve my ollies. i try to do 100 every session and after a few days i already notice an improvement. 

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2018, 07:05:47 PM »
Get it strait ride krooked

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 732
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2018, 05:31:24 AM »
This thread needs to be adapted into a screenplay.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2018, 07:27:29 AM »
So this guy quit skating for another 30 years I assume based on the lack of updates?

boogs

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2018, 03:29:58 PM »
do a boneless instead

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2018, 01:38:53 PM »
Well no skating today. Ive enough trouble walking on this bad leg, let alone skating. I wonder if yesterday's session aggravated it.

Nopes, I'm fine on the board. When I got back into skating, I spent at least a week riding around and refamiliarising myself with the basics which I'm doing okay with. I didn't attempt one single ollie during that time period. And when I started practising ollies, I didn't do them at the beginning of the session. I'd ride around and do kickturns etc for a fair while and then try ollies later on at the end of the session (stationary ollies to begin with.) Though I do admit there is a fear factor doing ollies while moving but I expect that will go away with time. Actually, what I really should do is spend more time rolling off steps with the front wheels raised. Ive done that with a step around the back a few times but can't do that there anymore as it's slate and really fragile - crumbles really easily. There are some gutters almost a km away that I could practise on (there's no proper footpath or sidewalk close to where I live.)

Overall, I think Ive made some progress towards straight ollies. To recap - back in the late 80s and early 90s, my ollies were straight while stationary but when I did them while moving, I'd turn frontside automatically - I just couldn't help it. Couldn't do rolling straight ollies anymore.

Currently, in 2018 - when I do ollies stationary, I turn frontside over 95% of the time - I wasn't expecting that. And when I try ollies while moving, I can do them straight roughly about a 1/3 of the time more or less.

Pretty sure anybody who's made it this far in the thread is invested enough that a recap is unnecessary. The mental image of you holding onto the fence trying to Ollie has brought me great joy and your absence has me a little worried. I just hope your ollies straightened out and you flew the coop that is SLAP, terrorizing manhole covers and two stairs wherever you roam. If you are a troll then you are truly a poet. God bless.
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2018, 06:51:26 AM »

at this point maybe it would be like that movie where the guy had to saw his own arm off to free himself from a rock. all i can picture is him getting trapped in the fence after a disastrous ollie attempt and thats why we havent heard from them since. 

dragonblade

« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2018, 07:07:00 AM »
I had to take a long break from skating due to straining my abductor in my left leg. It took ages to heal. I had a lot of trouble just lifting that leg up while in a sitting position. I got back into skating a few days ago but for now, I'm just getting used to riding around again with 0 tricks. But soon, I'm going to roll off some gutters - hoping that will make the transition to ollies easier.

And lol holding on to that fence was only a temporary affair. Glad I didn't need a knife in any case.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2019, 05:55:27 PM »

Go back to the fence. I gotchu bro.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2019, 08:32:58 PM »

Haha. 

In all honesty, I hope this dude starts posting again.  I think it’d be cool to see him progress.  All joking aside, I like his earnestness: a trait that is becoming increasingly elusive these days.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 08:35:59 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2019, 08:34:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Haha. 

In all honesty, I hope this dude starts posting again.  I think it’d be cool to see him progress.
Reminds me of when my dad started skating again.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2019, 12:49:02 PM »
Ah, the classic 30 year layover sandboard-induced anticipatory shifty ollie no tailguard shock syndrome.  Seen it a million times.
Haha  :)

Brguy

« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2019, 01:50:31 PM »
Just remember to say "no homo".

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 732
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2019, 08:34:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

at this point maybe it would be like that movie where the guy had to saw his own arm off to free himself from a rock. all i can picture is him getting trapped in the fence after a disastrous ollie attempt and thats why we havent heard from them since.

128 Ollies
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Front Blunt

• Rep: -4
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2019, 11:49:26 AM »
Fences will write a song for the opening credits

Dorknerd

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2019, 01:19:24 AM »
Like on ea skate on Xbox - land back wheels first. Momentum will straighten the front out. Hopefully before you eat shit.

Also you could learn front foot control by trying on flatbank fun boxes. Don’t need to pop properly that way but can get the front foot sorted.

Personally I got Ollie’s dialed on a crack in the footpath. Kicking the back wheel into the crack bonks it up without popping.

It’s really about the timing and pulling your back foot up. IMO.