Author Topic: Jerry kicked of emerica  (Read 36512 times)

trolli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
Re: Jerry kicked of emerica
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2018, 04:47:59 AM »
Sponsorship wise, Jerry should still be coasting off the Made 2 part through 2019 even though the song/edit did him no favors. Shit was comparable to what AVE did in Propeller if you consider career length/industry status.

Corporate or core brand…
If the rider is lazy and don't promote the brand, which is his job, he can get fired.

Maybe point the finger on Jerry instead of blaming the companies trying to run a business.

EmilioBestevez

• Rep: 71
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2018, 06:56:10 AM »
I think it's kinda crazy that Jerry would get the boot, all the while Spanky has another shoe on the way.  I like both skaters but an aging Jerry Hsu is still a far better skater than Spanky.  He was still getting covers and everything.

d0rk

• Rep: -21
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2018, 07:24:58 AM »
Emericas are shit shoes anyways so I'm happy for him

Little Debbie

« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2018, 07:52:24 AM »
I find it hard to believe that Emerica did him dirty or whatever. they gave him a ton of chances to try to fulfill his contractual obligations for them, and he was pretty much over it. just sucks that he's kind of throwing shade on them, when in reality they kept him on as long as they could justify.

like if you're really depending on Emerica checks to finance your life but you don't want to play the whole social media game for them, at least work with the TM or brand manager to work out a schedule of the "bare minimum" they expect you to do.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2018, 09:34:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Someone needs to tell Jerry to quit being so Yellow because This Is Skateboarding and you just can't Stay Gold forever and fuckin Kids in Emerica too and fuck it Made 1 and 2 I'm regular.
[close]
All puns aside you have been reported
[close]
Jerry just lives life like it's a bag of suck
[close]

probably knows his career path is subject to change.
[close]

i just hope he can weather the storm
[close]
Depends how many black cats cross his path
[close]

In good times or bad, Jerry will always stay gold.

I already said that dude

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2018, 09:43:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Someone needs to tell Jerry to quit being so Yellow because This Is Skateboarding and you just can't Stay Gold forever and fuckin Kids in Emerica too and fuck it Made 1 and 2 I'm regular.
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I already said that dude
well damn it, another Man Down that i liked over at emerica, after Bryan Herman.
i hope Jerry gets to Tweak The Beef and comes back with a carrer Bonus Round.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1191
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2018, 09:44:22 AM »
Hope when he dies, no one says welcome to hell
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

ungzilla

« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2018, 09:46:26 AM »
wow you would rather he just go to hell without even a friendly welcome before he burns for eternity thats fucked up

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2018, 09:48:11 AM »
wow you would rather he just go to hell without even a friendly welcome before he burns for eternity thats fucked up

No dude I want him to go to sk8 heaven after a long and healthy life brah
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2018, 09:50:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I already said that dude

Ah, shit. The writing was too small in the quote.

TITANIUM NIPPLES

• Rep: -5
« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »
It looks like they have already found his replacement.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2018, 10:28:48 AM »
people always say certain pros deserve to get paid to not do a whole lot because of their legacy. why not jerry hsu? what about someone like ba who rides for anti-hero and nike but barely puts out footage these days?

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2018, 10:35:50 AM »
people always say certain pros deserve to get paid to not do a whole lot because of their legacy. why not jerry hsu? what about someone like ba who rides for anti-hero and nike but barely puts out footage these days?

Isn’t the only deciding factor if people want to buy stuff with their name on it?  Capitalism kind of takes the “deserve” out of the equation.

Pavs323

• Rep: 13
« Reply #133 on: October 09, 2018, 12:25:25 PM »

Because BA’s name alone brings those companies enough revenue to justify paying him. Emerica looked at the numbers, and must have saw that Jerry’s name doesn’t. Therefore if he’s not going to film or promote anything, and his name alone isn’t bringing you that much revenue, then there’s no real financial reason to keep him around and pay him.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2018, 12:44:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Because BA’s name alone brings those companies enough revenue to justify paying him. Emerica looked at the numbers, and must have saw that Jerry’s name doesn’t. Therefore if he’s not going to film or promote anything, and his name alone isn’t bringing you that much revenue, then there’s no real financial reason to keep him around and pay him.

another slap clairvoyant.

Pavs323

• Rep: 13
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2018, 01:39:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

another slap clairvoyant.

Well yeah, should have said “BA’s name probably brings enough revenue”

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2018, 07:26:39 PM »

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2018, 12:34:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Sponsorship wise, Jerry should still be coasting off the Made 2 part through 2019 even though the song/edit did him no favors. Shit was comparable to what AVE did in Propeller if you consider career length/industry status.
[close]

Honestly, one or two fillers aside, that part was probably the best thing Jerry did since bag of suck, does not get the credit it deserves.
[close]

Completely forgot his part in Made 2 existed. Just rewatched and holy shit the song/edit doesn't do his skating any justice. I long for the days before music rights became an issue.
[close]

Doesn't he have a Mogwai track?

On this note, how is it possibly in the interest of a brand like Emerica not to put their videos online? Is it a music licensing issue? I'd be super keen to watch Made 2 but it doesn't seem to be online. If I were running a company, I would want all our video productions easily available online in HD (or good quality). Whats the point of making a video if its not accessible? No one is buying hard copies these days.
[close]

iTunes paywall homie. It's where a lot of the bigger budget videos go and yeah keeping it there forever is so fucking stupid that it's probably a contractual thing with Apple.

Ah I totally forgot that iTunes is even a thing. I've always been access for free or hard copy purchase.

Maybe it is contractual to keep it on iTunes? It would make a lot more sense to put it up for sale for the first 6 months if they're looking to recoup some costs (seems a bit unrealistic for a brand like Emerica) and then put it up online for free as a promotional tool. I wonder how many people have actually purchased Made 2 in the last 6 months? You'd think anyone who was going to do so would do so in the period immediately after the release.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

ratherwatch

« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2018, 01:33:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Honestly, one or two fillers aside, that part was probably the best thing Jerry did since bag of suck, does not get the credit it deserves.
[close]

Completely forgot his part in Made 2 existed. Just rewatched and holy shit the song/edit doesn't do his skating any justice. I long for the days before music rights became an issue.
[close]

Doesn't he have a Mogwai track?

On this note, how is it possibly in the interest of a brand like Emerica not to put their videos online? Is it a music licensing issue? I'd be super keen to watch Made 2 but it doesn't seem to be online. If I were running a company, I would want all our video productions easily available online in HD (or good quality). Whats the point of making a video if its not accessible? No one is buying hard copies these days.
[close]

iTunes paywall homie. It's where a lot of the bigger budget videos go and yeah keeping it there forever is so fucking stupid that it's probably a contractual thing with Apple.
It's here:
https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/video/AP-1QVDTV2DS1W11/made-chapter-two?playlist=AP-1QVQ996DN1W11

no life

• Rep: -31
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2018, 01:42:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Corporate or core brand…
If the rider is lazy and don't promote the brand, which is his job, he can get fired.

Maybe point the finger on Jerry instead of blaming the companies trying to run a business.
youre joking right?

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2018, 02:05:03 AM »

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2018, 02:42:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Corporate or core brand…

[close]
youre joking right?

there's no joke.
In your opinion what is Jerry's job ?

He's one of my favourite but i don't see what's wrong with letting him go if he doesn't do what he's paid for...

no life

• Rep: -31
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2018, 03:42:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Corporate or core brand…

[close]
youre joking right?
[close]

there's no joke.
In your opinion what is Jerry's job ?

He's one of my favourite but i don't see what's wrong with letting him go if he doesn't do what he's paid for...
skateboarding =/= promoting

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2018, 05:44:05 AM »
The real crime here is that Chocolate let him go via a fucking Instagram story 😤

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

redux

• Rep: -5
« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2018, 05:56:05 AM »
Didn't he say that he quit Chocolate a year ago?

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2018, 06:50:24 AM »
Thanks for the Red bull link. I thought watched Made2 when it first came out, but definitely didn't. Half way through it this morning.  Sad watching Herm and Jerry's parts though.
Did emerica not want Jerry doing his own clothes? With SciFi Fantasy seeking to gain popularity, you'd think they'd way to be attached somewhat to Jerry, but maybe that's small potatoes to them

cloudy

« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2018, 07:59:54 AM »
Did emerica not want Jerry doing his own clothes? With SciFi Fantasy seeking to gain popularity, you'd think they'd way to be attached somewhat to Jerry, but maybe that's small potatoes to them

i don't think that was the issue, as when asked by the interviewer about whether or not jerry's emerica contract had any sort of non-compete clause, jerry said that smaller companies like sole tech wouldn't really consider those types of things. those types of contracts are typically reserved for the bigger corporations (which is why i think we see a lot of the nike dudes decked out in the swoosh from head to toe).

as a side note, i kind of liked how the interviewer only slightly knew how things worked in the skate industry. it made for what i thought were some awkwardly funny moments. like when he was genuinely surprised that a majority skaters eventually lose all their sponsors - that was pretty funny. he's like, what? really? why don't people just do like cab and age gracefully into skateboarding throughout their 40s and 50s? and jerry was like, yeah, :o, let's just all have an iconic shoe and an untouchable legacy.

also liked the anecdote from the interviewer about how, as a little kid, he and his friends once bumped into marc johnson and asked him if they could film him say a little something for an intro to their homie vid. and mj was just like straight up - "no." lol. and jerry was like, yeah, marc has many different moods.

edit: was also bummed to hear jerry say that he could have gone into a lot more detail on the stories he told during his nine club interview, but that the dudes never really asked any follow up questions. that's stephanie tanner-ish.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:18:00 AM by cloudy »

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2018, 08:47:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i don't think that was the issue, as when asked by the interviewer about whether or not jerry's emerica contract had any sort of non-compete clause, jerry said that smaller companies like sole tech wouldn't really consider those types of things. those types of contracts are typically reserved for the bigger corporations (which is why i think we see a lot of the nike dudes decked out in the swoosh from head to toe).

as a side note, i kind of liked how the interviewer only slightly knew how things worked in the skate industry. it made for what i thought were some awkwardly funny moments. like when he was genuinely surprised that a majority skaters eventually lose all their sponsors - that was pretty funny. he's like, what? really? why don't people just do like cab and age gracefully into skateboarding throughout their 40s and 50s? and jerry was like, yeah, :o, let's just all have an iconic shoe and an untouchable legacy.

also liked the anecdote from the interviewer about how, as a little kid, he and his friends once bumped into marc johnson and asked him if they could film him say a little something for an intro to their homie vid. and mj was just like straight up - "no." lol. and jerry was like, yeah, marc has many different moods.

edit: was also bummed to hear jerry say that he could have gone into a lot more detail on the stories he told during his nine club interview, but that the dudes never really asked any follow up questions. that's stephanie tanner-ish.

i thought this was really interesting too. it really puts into perspective why we need other interview podcasts besides 9 club. i like 9 club well enough but this was way better.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2240
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2018, 09:34:40 AM »
I think being a pro then not having any sponsors would be awesome. No pressure to one up yourself and all the kids. Wear whatever you want. I respect Jerry for not chasing and begging for new sponsors.

In my opinion if you have that much free time and are getting paid to skate and aren't smart enough to save money and use your time to learn useful skills, then you deserve to start a GoFundMe to pay your electrical bill.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2018, 12:19:38 PM »
That podcast was great. The poster above me saying that the host knew *just* enough about skating nailed it.
wash uffize drive me to firenze