Author Topic: Modern Mongo  (Read 10701 times)

Bigwheelbite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -162
Re: Modern Mongo
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2021, 02:22:24 AM »
Expand Quote
welp, looks like after these street sweepers do their rounds ill be pushing non-mongo switch all over the neighbourhood... hopefully dont eat too much shit doing little manuals up curb cuts and shit...

it actually might help a lot to push switch now that I think about it... using your switch foot to stabilize the board and balance while pushing sounds like itll take a lot of energy and build up some kinda switch comfort idk
[close]

i was just about to say skating switch mongo helps. its good for stabilizing your position on pop foot skating switch and teaches you to balance and keep the weight on the back truck like you should when trying higher popped switch tricks.

also it looks great so fuck off who can stand it. legends have done it and im doing it two

"it looks great..." - definitely doesn't, pls stop lying to yourself ;)

It's good if you can't push switch more like! Just makes u fools look like you can't skate! lol

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2021, 03:37:40 AM »
I’m gonna keep it 100, I cant be bothered to learn how to push switch, my switch push is weak and I can’t get any speed off it

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2021, 04:57:23 AM »
I’m gonna keep it 100, I cant be bothered to learn how to push switch, my switch push is weak and I can’t get any speed off it

WHy not though? It will improve your skating so much more and you'll end up loving it way more. Plus one of the main benefits is if your pushing somewhere from A to B and your front leg gets tired then you can just push switch and give your front leg a break.

Instead of looking like a person by pushing switch mongo ;)

Anyone who thinks pushing mongo or switch mongo is stylish because so and so used to do, all say that cuz they can't push switch or as you said, cba to learn. Why wouldn't u want to learn how to switch push well? Its such a great feeling being able to push switch as well as regular!

MareVitals

• Rep: -39
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2021, 06:21:20 AM »
The return of mongo is just people trying way too hard to pretend that it's the 90s (you know, when switch was invented and they didn't know better like we do now). Once this trend dies (and it will) everyone caught up in it will be marked with some dumb ass footage.

It's not that hard to push switch regular yall.

biggietoms

• Rep: 8
  • take acid
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2021, 08:47:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Danny Brady
AVE
Heitor

- End Thread
[close]

Yeah and all their beautiful lines are simple ruined by pushing switch mongo. We know its switch guys - now just push switch and make it look beautiful instead pls...

Fine example:

Lol you guys are tripping.

I kinda feel sorry for the ones who dont "get" the nuance of finely executed sw mongo.

If ur not fuckin w the lines from the above mentioned guys, then that shits just not for you.

veritas

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2021, 08:53:50 AM »
Can't fault the older heads like AVE, Gino, Stevie etc who've been doing it for 30 years, but it does look ridiculous to see the Kalis impersonators going out of their way to do it just because it rounds out their early 2000's outfit

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2021, 09:05:50 AM »
Caring about swongo is so last century...

Popshuvyamoma

• Rep: -2
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2021, 09:57:16 AM »
Agreed, mongo / swongo both look shite no matter how sick the skater is! Learn how to push switch!

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2021, 11:22:07 AM »
I’m a big proponent of knowing how to switch push both regular and mongo. 

snowballz

• Rep: -12
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2021, 12:48:32 PM »
Aesthetically, it helps me realize when lines are switch.  Kinda gives you like a little kid style or like an underprivileged "I never learned to skate right and I'm proud of it" vibe.  Still trips me out that AVE pushes switch mongo.

That said, I learned how to push switch during long pushes to the park.  You're really missing out if you aren't switching legs.  It also helps prevent getting muscle imbalances.  Totally worth it to learn and helped my switch game out a ton.

Just rewatched his dancing on thin ice part, he does both switch mongo and normal switch push (in diff clips) which tripped me out

valuecommonsense

• Rep: -69
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2021, 06:08:25 PM »
I fucking love switch mongo. Maybe my favorite way to push. I appreciate a proper switch push, and I'm resigned to never having one, but you gotta realize, all your favorite skaters who have a perfect switch push (Guy, Busentiz, Dill) started mongo. Not hating whatsoever, mongo is legit. I think if you didn't start mongo, your switch push will always be a bit half-assed, in which case, fucking push switch mongo ferchrissakes.

This is dumb as hell, you have any proof Everyone with a good switch push started mongo or are you just taking out of your ass?

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2021, 06:45:02 PM »
nick jensen
Nick Jensen and Danny Brady have been around long enough that they aren't part of this new wave. They just arrived near the end of the time before every new pro pushed switch.

FROGGY

• Rep: 0
  • honk if you're horny
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2021, 08:48:04 PM »
yucky guy push with wrong foot yucky
"Here to fuck spiders"

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2021, 08:58:18 PM »
Anyone else just not know what to do with their arms when they push switch regular? I always feel like an idiot.

I would rather see a solid switch mongo than a forced, bad looking switch push, but don't actually care much. If they can get speed, all the power to 'em.

And to every thread that brings this up, Alex Carolino rules.

Grip Jobs

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2021, 09:16:33 PM »
Piss peddlers galore lol

You can’t push a little skateboard switch?

Bahahahahaha

Never do it either way, not one time.
Gotta push both ways in every line.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2021, 09:42:02 PM »
Expand Quote
I fucking love switch mongo. Maybe my favorite way to push. I appreciate a proper switch push, and I'm resigned to never having one, but you gotta realize, all your favorite skaters who have a perfect switch push (Guy, Busentiz, Dill) started mongo. Not hating whatsoever, mongo is legit. I think if you didn't start mongo, your switch push will always be a bit half-assed, in which case, fucking push switch mongo ferchrissakes.
[close]

This is dumb as hell, you have any proof Everyone with a good switch push started mongo or are you just taking out of your ass?

can you just go yell into a mirror or something

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2021, 02:50:19 AM »
Photosynthesis is SLAP’s favorite skate video and it is loaded with swongo

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 41
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2021, 03:00:05 AM »
Absolutely not interested in this discussion, just here to suggest that "Modern Mongo" should be the name of the next Polar Video.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2021, 05:50:26 AM »
Surprised that at this juncture of inclusiveness on SLAP no one has noted that using the word mongo probably isn't cool. Sure its accepted terminology for a style of pushing, but the contemporary root of the word is absolutely bigoted.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2021, 08:46:39 AM »
Surprised that at this juncture of inclusiveness on SLAP no one has noted that using the word mongo probably isn't cool. Sure its accepted terminology for a style of pushing, but the contemporary root of the word is absolutely bigoted.

never had any clue about the alternative meaning - im guessing it means gay or something?

I think it is definintely worth learning because we learned that rodney mullen fucked himself by only skating regular all the time, theres probably an army of 1000s just like that right behind him. i am getting a jump on it now at 35 and i have spent good chunk of this year working on it and theres certain speeds i still cant hit with a proper switch push but i think ill get there in time. i have to use switch mongo at some spots just cause im not comfortable enough yet too and its super rough ground. but it definitely has helped round out my switch skating.

i feel like its not really excusable anymore if you are under 30 because that is the era where really no one was doing it anymore, so it is kind of weird to me these guys who are like 24 doing it cause i feel like they would have had to go out of their way to see someone pushing like that (i guess maybe if mind field was their first vid then i kinda understand if they are a kalis stan but even that doenst really line up, youd only be like 10 when that vid came out still idk)

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2021, 08:55:27 AM »
Or you skate good or you is a nerd that complain about swongo.

Whe need some therapist here to threat and cure some of these psicos who want cancel everything even swongo.

This same behavior happened in absolutist governments.

pro club blanks

« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2021, 09:05:29 AM »
I cant think of anything id like to see less than a weird stilted, unnatural looking switch push.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2021, 09:09:23 AM »
I cant think of anything id like to see less than a weird stilted, unnatural looking switch push.

mine looks like that still sadly but shit doesnt happen overnight. lol ill probably keep it out of my footage for now til i clean it up a bit

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2021, 10:05:38 AM »
The gatekeeping in skateboarding is so weird. Nothing is wrong with pushing mongo but I'd say it is strange to push mongo switch if you know how to push regular switch.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2021, 10:29:37 AM »
switch pushing is one of nicest feeling 'tricks' out there

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2021, 10:38:07 AM »
Ironically enough, switch mongo originated from an era where people actually took style seriously and skated like it.

Also, it’s just more efficient.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

pro club blanks

« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2021, 10:58:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
mine looks like that still sadly but shit doesnt happen overnight. lol ill probably keep it out of my footage for now til i clean it up a bit
Its all good dog, do what makes you happy its dope to have goals

On the flipside I cant really hate on switch mongo if its how people feel comfortable

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2021, 11:11:42 AM »
Certain folks get a pass for it, but it's wild to me how some skaters who are very very good at switch cannot push switch.

Mullen made the best comment about having "No-Stance"  and after you hear his argument you kind of have to stop pushing mongo.  As a 90s skater, i only did it because it made switch tricks like fakie tricks to me

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -101
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2021, 11:15:19 AM »
The solution is to not skate switch at all and just go faster.

Grip Jobs

« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2021, 01:14:47 PM »
In the 90s swongo was invented to signify that you are doing a switch trick
Its show off shit that makes you look like a mongo