Author Topic: Modern Mongo  (Read 10700 times)

Brguy

Re: Modern Mongo
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2021, 01:29:16 PM »
The only reason you would learn how to push switch is because you live somewhere you can push comfortably and want to have better balance(some places pushing regular is already a hassle) or you're simply too scared about what other people think.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2021, 03:26:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Surprised that at this juncture of inclusiveness on SLAP no one has noted that using the word mongo probably isn't cool. Sure its accepted terminology for a style of pushing, but the contemporary root of the word is absolutely bigoted.
[close]

never had any clue about the alternative meaning - im guessing it means gay or something?

I think it is definintely worth learning because we learned that rodney mullen fucked himself by only skating regular all the time, theres probably an army of 1000s just like that right behind him. i am getting a jump on it now at 35 and i have spent good chunk of this year working on it and theres certain speeds i still cant hit with a proper switch push but i think ill get there in time. i have to use switch mongo at some spots just cause im not comfortable enough yet too and its super rough ground. but it definitely has helped round out my switch skating.

i feel like its not really excusable anymore if you are under 30 because that is the era where really no one was doing it anymore, so it is kind of weird to me these guys who are like 24 doing it cause i feel like they would have had to go out of their way to see someone pushing like that (i guess maybe if mind field was their first vid then i kinda understand if they are a kalis stan but even that doenst really line up, youd only be like 10 when that vid came out still idk)

Mongo is the root of mongoloid which was a slang term used for mentally regular folks. In that case, pushing mongo is the equivalent of something like "person pushing."
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

DannyDee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2021, 04:53:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Surprised that at this juncture of inclusiveness on SLAP no one has noted that using the word mongo probably isn't cool. Sure its accepted terminology for a style of pushing, but the contemporary root of the word is absolutely bigoted.
[close]

never had any clue about the alternative meaning - im guessing it means gay or something?

I think it is definintely worth learning because we learned that rodney mullen fucked himself by only skating regular all the time, theres probably an army of 1000s just like that right behind him. i am getting a jump on it now at 35 and i have spent good chunk of this year working on it and theres certain speeds i still cant hit with a proper switch push but i think ill get there in time. i have to use switch mongo at some spots just cause im not comfortable enough yet too and its super rough ground. but it definitely has helped round out my switch skating.

i feel like its not really excusable anymore if you are under 30 because that is the era where really no one was doing it anymore, so it is kind of weird to me these guys who are like 24 doing it cause i feel like they would have had to go out of their way to see someone pushing like that (i guess maybe if mind field was their first vid then i kinda understand if they are a kalis stan but even that doenst really line up, youd only be like 10 when that vid came out still idk)
[close]

Mongo is the root of mongoloid which was a slang term used for mentally regular folks. In that case, pushing mongo is the equivalent of something like "person pushing."
I think it's actually specific slang for a type of mental retardation which is Downsyndrome, not a catch all.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2021, 05:46:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I think it's actually specific slang for a type of mental retardation which is Downsyndrome, not a catch all.

You're right, for sure.

Grip Jobs

« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2021, 08:09:29 PM »
Mongo and swongo have always been offensive this is not a new concept

fortunecattlesteakhouse

• Rep: 91
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2021, 04:11:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

mongoloid is an archaic offensive term against asians. its belittling/implying that those of eastern descent have retardation -to the point where its synonymous. its basically cringe prince charles type of talk thats been casually integrated into society

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2021, 05:21:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
mongoloid is an archaic offensive term against asians. its belittling/implying that those of eastern descent have retardation -to the point where its synonymous. its basically cringe prince charles type of talk thats been casually integrated into society

That just made me think of this 😁
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2021, 09:40:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Its most definitely morphed into an offensive term for folks with downs syndrome. Devo had a track called Mongoloid in 1979. All I'm trying to get at is that if folks are calling out and delegitimizing other slurs that have been casual parlance in the skateboard world, it makes sense to drop "mongo" or at least let people know why it's not cool. I guess the advocacy or representation of folks with downs isn't too strong on SLAP or in the skateboard world period.

valuecommonsense

• Rep: -69
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2021, 02:03:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

K so it's literally the perfect name, if anyone wants to cry about it that's on them.