Author Topic: Sam Smyth | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 116  (Read 10098 times)

Abyss1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
Re: Sam Smyth | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 116
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2018, 09:07:03 AM »
Wasnt a bad listen

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2018, 09:29:58 AM »
There was some interesting info to be gleaned about what the folks behind the scenes at crail think/are in denial about their fall from the top spot.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

quadcuff

• Rep: -6
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2018, 10:59:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The way this guy laughed at him sending his graff buddies to jump and rob unsuspecting kids really rubbed me the wrong way. The more stories I hear about the 90's EMB scene, the more I think it was incredibly toxic and overrated as fuck.
[close]

what's worse is future generations of skaters that looked up to these guys took this attitude all over north america
[close]

I like how they talk about themselves like they were fucking MS13

yeah for some reason i doubt they were that intense

quadcuff

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2018, 10:59:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Honestly I was expecting more insights or stories from the recent departures (Mariano/Koston/MJ/Hsu/Elijah) . It's obvious that Chris rides for them but sometimes he could ask some bitter questions.
[close]

oh, that sort of stuff will absolutely, never be discussed on the nine club

like never

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2018, 11:35:28 AM »
It sucks because between Chris, Rog and Kelly, they collectively know pretty much everyone and can get all the guests, but don't deliver on much juicy info or interesting stories. I still like the show and listen almost every week but a lot of it can be seen as a missed opportunity.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2018, 11:40:30 AM »
Kinda funny how every skater and their mom is thanked in the "Doll" credits. Chris Roberts (of course) & Roger Bagley got shout outs in the credits. Feel bad for Kelly Beans Hart.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2018, 11:41:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Least friendly mid-90s plaza between EMB/Love /Brooklyn Banks?
[close]

Seems like every major spot had its bullies/kooks.

EMB had Kelch, Love had Ricky. Who was running the Banks?

Funny how Both those guys are still living in the past, like most bullies. Also damn I didn't realize the dude was 48, over here looking like doc brown:

Holy Shit! Fuck, my hair would look like that if I let it grow out too. Dude needs to run a short cropped hairstyle and a hat so he doesn't look like grandpa skateboarding. It just looks so pathetic with the 100% Adidas suit.

quadcuff

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2018, 11:46:32 AM »
It sucks because between Chris, Rog and Kelly, they collectively know pretty much everyone and can get all the guests, but don't deliver on much juicy info or interesting stories. I still like the show and listen almost every week but a lot of it can be seen as a missed opportunity.

yeah it's a pretty big bro-fest overall

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2018, 06:05:42 PM »
"you know what I mean?"

Did this rub off on Guy from Sam? Or the opposite?
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1192
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2018, 06:24:30 PM »
Anyone else notice that roger is almost completely silent nowadays? 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2018, 08:15:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The way this guy laughed at him sending his graff buddies to jump and rob unsuspecting kids really rubbed me the wrong way. The more stories I hear about the 90's EMB scene, the more I think it was incredibly toxic and overrated as fuck.
[close]

what's worse is future generations of skaters that looked up to these guys took this attitude all over north america
[close]

[close]

It was the wild west. I grew up about 100 miles away but visited many times, I was lucky enough to have folks that knew folks from around the way but if you were an outsider and didn't have anyone looking out for you - good luck. SF is/was very grimy and this was the big city skate culture. Things were different before skaters grew up at skate parks and learned to get along with everyone. You put yourself at risk just rolling up with a new set up and fresh kicks. Sam was not too far off from what I saw/heard. As a 14/15 year old kid it was very intimidating but I would not trade those experiences for anything. Toxic - yes. Overrated - never!

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1192
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2018, 08:30:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
It was the wild west. I grew up about 100 miles away but visited many times, I was lucky enough to have folks that knew folks from around the way but if you were an outsider and didn't have anyone looking out for you - good luck. SF is/was very grimy and this was the big city skate culture. Things were different before skaters grew up at skate parks and learned to get along with everyone. You put yourself at risk just rolling up with a new set up and fresh kicks. Sam was not too far off from what I saw/heard. As a 14/15 year old kid it was very intimidating but I would not trade those experiences for anything. Toxic - yes. Overrated - never!

Joking aside, I bet it was pretty fucking awesome.  Were you able to watch any of the heavy hitters like Mike and Henry skate?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2018, 08:33:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Funny how Both those guys are still living in the past, like most bullies. Also damn I didn't realize the dude was 48, over here looking like doc brown:

[close]

Holy Shit! Fuck, my hair would look like that if I let it grow out too. Dude needs to run a short cropped hairstyle and a hat so he doesn't look like grandpa skateboarding. It just looks so pathetic with the 100% Adidas suit.

this video is a grim look into the future for us slap pals.

ralf_

• Rep: -36
  • yo
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2018, 10:36:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

this video is a grim look into the future for us slap pals.

dont half the people here already look that way?
fun fun fun

quadcuff

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2018, 07:58:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

skaters get along with everyone?

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2018, 09:53:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Comparing the 90s to present day - yes. It was skaters v. everyone else. Now you have safe places/skate park on every corner and a skate mom to monitor that little billy doesn't get snaked and that all the bladers, scooters,bikes and skaters get along. The soul of skating was sold(xgames,thps,bam/rob etc). I'm not saying that everything that took place at a EMB, Love, Pulakski, Courthouse, Banks etc was Ok but it served as guardian for true street skating.

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »

Yeah he hasn’t said much for the past couple episodes

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2018, 12:07:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Comparing the 90s to present day - yes. It was skaters v. everyone else. Now you have safe places/skate park on every corner and a skate mom to monitor that little billy doesn't get snaked and that all the bladers, scooters,bikes and skaters get along. The soul of skating was sold(xgames,thps,bam/rob etc). I'm not saying that everything that took place at a EMB, Love, Pulakski, Courthouse, Banks etc was Ok but it served as guardian for true street skating.
Add it to the list

everythingisgreat

• Rep: -130
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2018, 02:41:18 PM »

I feel the exact same way- it’s almost a waste of all that production as well- this podcast could be part of skateboarding history, as in a comprehensive skateboarding journal of events and people but instead it’s just a place where Chris is launching his comedy career, roger drinks beer and jelly laughs

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2018, 11:03:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

some have a face for the radio.  roger has a voice for a still life painting

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2018, 01:27:26 PM »
I wonder if Kelch ever got checked. Dude seems like a prick.
i'm pretty sure he got life-checked at this point

bo bice

• Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2018, 02:17:38 PM »
back then we didn’t bomb hills, we had to push it uphill both ways

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2018, 04:26:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nah roger and to a certain extent Kelly for Crobs being a relatively straight laced host. Roger would add a lot to the history and add good questions and Kelly had that 411 knowledge and it added a good depth to chris’ Whole timeline in skating questions. I miss that format really. Now rog doesn’t even seems like he wants to be there. The most engaging he’s been in 6 months is the experience clip when they skate Boston . I like roger. He’s very much a slap pal type haha.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

noninjasinstreetfighter

• Rep: 19
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2018, 04:44:10 PM »
I’m assuming Kelly never got on crailtap due to being a corny Stan.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2018, 06:18:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nah roger and to a certain extent Kelly for Crobs being a relatively straight laced host. Roger would add a lot to the history and add good questions and Kelly had that 411 knowledge and it added a good depth to chris’ Whole timeline in skating questions. I miss that format really. Now rog doesn’t even seems like he wants to be there. The most engaging he’s been in 6 months is the experience clip when they skate Boston . I like roger. He’s very much a slap pal type haha.

I’m referring to his marble mouth voice

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2211
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2018, 09:43:49 PM »
back then we didn’t bomb hills, we had to push it uphill both ways
In the rain on dirt roads!

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2018, 10:33:57 PM »
This one has a lot of Chris's favorite topic: how Kelly would be treated at EMB.

It's weird that he's so fascinated by that.

quadcuff

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2018, 11:49:54 AM »
This one has a lot of Chris's favorite topic: how Kelly would be treated at EMB.

It's weird that he's so fascinated by that.

translation: kelly's fakie tre fakie manny at the courthouse is better than my whole career

froufroufox

• Rep: 31
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2018, 12:15:58 PM »
K so who would win in a brawl: Love Park dudes vs. EMB?

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2018, 01:08:07 PM »
K so who would win in a brawl: Love Park dudes vs. EMB?
tough call...but EMB did have Henry(not sure if he can throw but nobody would be more pumped).