Author Topic: Set-up OCD  (Read 14802 times)

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Set-up OCD
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 08:45:55 AM »
Theeves and F4s and 14.125" wb

el chino

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -376
  • ants suck!
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 09:07:19 AM »
I once had the classic baker board set up with some white indy's and black wheels, it looked good even when flipping
But then i changed my board and they looked stupid, so i had to sand them down.
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 09:31:53 AM »
No colored trucks
White wheels (graphics in)
Black griptape
Thin line down grip, left side of board so I know which way my board is facing

For the past few years I only skated Thunder trucks, Spitfire F4 conical wheels, red bearings and Jessup grip. I will never change that setup. Just works perfect for me

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 10:21:44 AM »
Solid black grip, no cut outs or graphics
Wheel graphics facing in, white or black wheels only; can't do any other weird colors
Bearing shields have to be popped
Raw Indys only
Back truck always a bit tighter than the front

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2018, 11:24:06 AM »
Expand Quote
White wheels graphics in, black bolts, no red top plys, never kickflip within first 15mins of skating new board.
[close]

Interesting detail. What's the reason?
Just broke way too many brand new shitty quality boards as a kid and now I’m stucked with it🙄😄
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

thespacewolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 13
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »
First and foremost I gotta love the board graphic, I get bummed whenever i look down and not like the board graphic
No colored trucks or wheels
g striped grip job
wheel graphics in
(if i decide to put stickers) Stickers gotta compliment the board graphic in some kind of way, not just randomly slapped

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2018, 12:02:09 PM »
Gaps in grip.  i can't hold the tail. Can't stand it up on the nose.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2018, 01:10:19 PM »
I'm a bit picky with my board and it gets worse I get older!

- 1 Silver (or colored) bolt on the bottom right corner of the nose. (I'm goofy, to kickflip I usually put my foot over that bolt).

- On the griptape I used to do a thin vertical cut on the left side, in between the bolts and edge of the board, but now I started doing a crooked one instead just to play with my OCD about parallel lines. I'm fine with any top ply color other than natural color. Never had colored grip.

- Trucks with the same tightness, raw polished (but I'm fine with colored baseplates). 3 speedrings on the inside, 1 outside, to make the nut flush to the axle.
I also just started using spacers.

- I turn 2 wheels out and 2 inside, but turned in oposite directions on both trucks so you always see 1 wheel graphic in either side of the board.

- I always have trouble putting stickers because I usually like the graphic and dont want to cover it. I put some stickers regardless and try to make them fit the graphic somehow.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2018, 05:19:59 PM »
Black grip only unless I'm stuck with something shitty and even then I'll cut around the designs and try to rearrange something plain. Then for years once I'm done gripping a board I've been using the sharp end of the skate tool to just scrape three thin, straight horizontal lines across the griptape, one where the nose and tail start and one near the middle slightly closer to the tail. When I was a kid I used to just have one line over the back bolts to be able to tell which was my board was facing but I always thought it looked stupid, but somehow three lines kind of balances it out and doesn't look as distracting. I never really thought about any of this prior to this post.

Board has to be 8.125 / 8.25 and have short wheelbase, wheels must be 101A or anything B. I must at least kind of like the graphic and if I really don't, then I'll cover it up with stickers of local shit I back; the less I like the graphic, the more stickers. Bolts have to be tightened to the max. Front truck slightly looser than back truck.

Then my decks all get the same treatment, a couple of sessions at the park or a clean, safe spot while they still retain their pop then as soon as they start getting a bit soggy or I get the first chip I no longer give a fuck about them and start only going to the crustiest spots with the shittiest ground I have on my list in mind, because there's no way I'd skate shitty spots with a brand new deck, as long as it's good I'm trying to save that shit. Chips have become such a pet peeve of mine they're almost an obsession and I constantly double check my nose and tail if my board runs into something or if I hit a crack.

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -3
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 05:25:10 PM »
Four bolts in the front, three in the back.

Wheels turned in. Always white.

Trucks never coloured.

I’ll write something on every board. Went through a D.R phase for obvious reasons after he died.

I used to freak out about yellow wheels. Not as anal about it now but still bothers me.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2018, 05:35:02 PM »
Oh yeah, since you guys keep mentioning raw trucks it reminded me of how if I have a pair of raw or all black trucks I like colored wheels, there’s an obvious exception for the black trucks with white wheels but idk, white wheels and raw trucks is too bland for me
yes

Tally810

• Rep: -9
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »
Black grip only unless I'm stuck with something shitty and even then I'll cut around the designs and try to rearrange something plain. Then for years once I'm done gripping a board I've been using the sharp end of the skate tool to just scrape three thin, straight horizontal lines across the griptape, one where the nose and tail start and one near the middle slightly closer to the tail. When I was a kid I used to just have one line over the back bolts to be able to tell which was my board was facing but I always thought it looked stupid, but somehow three lines kind of balances it out and doesn't look as distracting. I never really thought about any of this prior to this post.

Board has to be 8.125 / 8.25 and have short wheelbase, wheels must be 101A or anything B. I must at least kind of like the graphic and if I really don't, then I'll cover it up with stickers of local shit I back; the less I like the graphic, the more stickers. Bolts have to be tightened to the max. Front truck slightly looser than back truck.

Then my decks all get the same treatment, a couple of sessions at the park or a clean, safe spot while they still retain their pop then as soon as they start getting a bit soggy or I get the first chip I no longer give a fuck about them and start only going to the crustiest spots with the shittiest ground I have on my list in mind, because there's no way I'd skate shitty spots with a brand new deck, as long as it's good I'm trying to save that shit. Chips have become such a pet peeve of mine they're almost an obsession and I constantly double check my nose and tail if my board runs into something or if I hit a crack.
The chip thing really bothers me too.  The second I get a chip or any razor tail I'm swapping decks.  I feel like a snob saying but I always keep a few decks in the car ready to swap in case it happens

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1192
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2018, 05:59:02 PM »
Skating with only 7 bolts would mind fuck me so bad.

Thought about some more little things:

If I get new trucks, I always have to my little low curb spot to do nothing but slappies to break them in.  I then do slappy crooked grinds until I get at least a little indentation.  I feel naked without it.

If I switch shoes or decks, I do nothing but switch and nollie tricks for the first 20 min or so.  I think I got it from a Dragonball Z episode when goku was training to take on frieza or someone and he mentioned how he was training in harder conditions than what he would be fighting in.  That way I can get comfortable with the board or shoes skating switch.  Then when I go back to my regular stance, I effectively enter Super Saiyan mode.

I might actually be just a tiny bit mentally ill, haha

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2018, 06:14:46 PM »
1. Solid black/plain grip but with a line etched into it using a metal ruler as a guide in line with the inside bolts of the rear truck.
2. As with SkATAN  I have "2 wheels out and 2 inside, but turned in oposite directions on both trucks so you always see 1 wheel graphic in either side of the board."
3. Sharpie the initials of my two kids on the deck in the "angle" under the hangar so they don't get slid off.
4. Smallest rubber risers possible. Can't go wood on metal ever since I started with plastic risers in the late 80's.
5. Hardhat sticker from my company.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2018, 06:27:49 PM »
1. Solid black/plain grip but with a line etched into it using a metal ruler as a guide in line with the inside bolts of the rear truck.
2. As with SkATAN  I have "2 wheels out and 2 inside, but turned in oposite directions on both trucks so you always see 1 wheel graphic in either side of the board."
3. Sharpie the initials of my two kids on the deck in the "angle" under the hangar so they don't get slid off.
4. Smallest rubber risers possible. Can't go wood on metal ever since I started with plastic risers in the late 80's.
5. Hardhat sticker from my company.

That’s the first set-up post that I could describe as “touching”.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2018, 02:42:18 AM »
THANK GOD FOR THIS THREAD. I'm not the only super particular one.

1) I tighten some bolts on before gripping, to countersink the wood a little. Doing this before gripping means less puckering of grip around the holes when trying to get the bolts as flush as possible while setting up.

3) Grip can't be solid. Has to at least have some writing or small cutout, weighted towards the rear but usually restricted to the end of the wheelbase by the rear truck holes.

4) Stickers are mandatory. But have to compliment the graphic, or otherwise work as some sort of graphic design element. I usually use multiples of the same sticker somewhere on the deck.

5)Put wheels graphic in (eventually put graphics out to even out wear and avoid coning) onto trucks before mounting them.

6) Put front truck on first, tightening in the aforementioned X pattern.

7) I always use Grindking or other "inverted" kingpins. I've used Krux, currently on some old stock Kreper kingpins (which are just rebranded GK kingpins). Throw back to actually skating a set of Krepers when I was 10!! But I'm now OCD about GK kingpins... won't ever have regular kingpins in my main setup ever again. I've even devised a way to tap a threaded insert into my baseplate as a conversion to keep it nice and solid. I might post a tutorial sometimes, in these days of splined kingpins, you can't just flip the kingpin like with the old Stage 8 and prior Indys. So you gotta be resourceful.

8 ) No black wheels. Usually only white, but will mess with light blue and pink wheels.

9) Silver phillips bolts, silver Thunder trucks (on my main setup for the past 15 years, outside of one pair of indys. I also have to switch the bushings to a translucent frosted blue after market set that Thunder sells. I don't know why, I just always prefered the look of blue bushings on Thunders). If the Thunders have black nuts and bushing cup washers, I switch them to silver.

Aaaaand, I think that's the end of my neurosis with my setup? I always mess around with graphics and shapes, but always sprinkle in normal popsicles and never go toooo crazy on the shapes. I've got to at least mildly like the graphic, and the size has to be between 8.38 and 8.8.

Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

bigstevefitnessmodel

• Rep: 0
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2018, 03:05:31 AM »
-I always set my wheels up with graphics out on the toe side and graphics in on the heel side
-Plain mob grip with an "X" drawn between the bolts over the front truck with a tool
-And I always have to have at least one, sometimes up to three stickers underneath my wheels so as not to be ground off
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:11:55 AM by bigstevefitnessmodel »

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2018, 03:57:20 AM »

1) I tighten some bolts on before gripping, to countersink the wood a little. Doing this before gripping means less puckering of grip around the holes when trying to get the bolts as flush as possible while setting up.

this one is natty, will try

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2018, 05:35:27 AM »
I don’t believe in the red ply thing, I just like my setup simple
Black grip
Black bolts
Silver trucks with no graphic
Wheels graphic inside.
Sometimes a sticker is ok, as long as it’s in a no slide area

I remember seeing a video where ba said he uses a razor blade to take the graphic off and I tried it once and decided it too much time

LegitDude

• Rep: 6
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2018, 08:18:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
White wheels graphics in, black bolts, no red top plys, never kickflip within first 15mins of skating new board.
[close]

[close]
Just broke way too many brand new shitty quality boards as a kid and now I’m stucked with it🙄😄

On flat?? that's crazy. I guess I'm lucky to be skeletal

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2018, 09:52:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

On flat?? that's crazy. I guess I'm lucky to be skeletal
Yep,on flat. Those boards were shitty as fuck, you had to ”flex” them by putting them on ground upside down and jumping on them or otherwise they snapped on first session... they were local pressed and I think there was some birch in the mix.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:54:29 AM by Krooked antihero »
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Fredonskateboard

• Rep: -5
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2018, 10:55:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This might be a really good idea indeed. Ive actually cracked the wood around the bolts duo to tighting them too much with griptape on.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2018, 03:34:41 PM »
  • no graphic griptape, ever
  • no graphic trucks, ever
  • wheel graphics facing in
  • always Allen hardware
  • some type of colored bolt in upper left
  • no stickers on nose or tail cause that with fuck with noseslides/tailslides

nosneb

• Rep: 90
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2018, 04:29:10 PM »
Deck must be very mellow concave and medium kicks non full shape
Must have top, middle, bottom ply stained. Hate getting yellow tops mentally I think they break easier.

Jessup griptape always laid crooked exposing the right corner of the deck all the way down. When I grip my board I peel off all manufacturer stickers. After cutting out the grip I score the edges with a screw driver never sand the edges.

Allen hardware one colored on the bottom left corner. Tighten trucks down X pattern in small equal increments till bolt head almost completely flush and during the sesh breaking in the deck I tighten the rest down.

Ventures only in raw silver with all hardware flush to threads, top bushings sanded down. Front truck slightly looser than the rear.

Spitfire Classics F4s natural color with graphics facing in.
Bearing shields depends if new Ill keep em on but lose em if they fall out.

I have a set up for depending where Im skating or what mood Im in "park board, tech board, crusty spot board, old skool board, loaner board, beer getter board" All different set up exactly the same trucks and wheels just different sizes.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 04:31:18 PM by nosneb »

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2018, 06:38:54 PM »
I have a set up for depending where Im skating or what mood Im in "park board, tech board, crusty spot board, old skool board, loaner board, beer getter board" All different set up exactly the same trucks and wheels just different sizes.

I’m like that too kind of.  I generally have three boards set up at any given moment.   

-the go-to, normally with thunders and 53mm classics
-park/tranny/crusty spot one with indy’s and conical full 54’s
-cruiser with aces and big ol bouncy wheels

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2018, 12:17:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

This might be a really good idea indeed. Ive actually cracked the wood around the bolts duo to tighting them too much with griptape on.
that's why I just grip over the bolts

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2018, 01:46:18 AM »
  • no graphic griptape, ever
  • no graphic trucks, ever
  • wheel graphics facing in
  • always Allen hardware
  • some type of colored bolt in upper left
  • no stickers on nose or tail cause that with fuck with noseslides/tailslides
this. plus: always 8 bolts. always.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2018, 01:49:38 AM »

Oh man, I was just talking about this with my coworker the other day. I just personally CAN'T cosign the practice of gripping over your bolts. That would be an absolute mindfuck for me. I need bolts showing to know where my feet are at setting up for most tricks. You are a beast if you can pull that grip-over-bolts madness!!
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

nosneb

• Rep: 90
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2018, 06:13:01 AM »
What if your ocd is so bad you just rip your grip off to tighten your trucks or set up a new deck everyone you need to adjust your trucks

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2018, 06:18:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh man, I was just talking about this with my coworker the other day. I just personally CAN'T cosign the practice of gripping over your bolts. That would be an absolute mindfuck for me. I need bolts showing to know where my feet are at setting up for most tricks. You are a beast if you can pull that grip-over-bolts madness!!
yes, but once you break through that barrier you don't have 8 little bolts worth of space on top of your board without grip-tape. You can also punch through the Allen key section only to give you an idea of where your bolts are ;)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year