Author Topic: Set-up OCD  (Read 14803 times)

Tally810

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -9
Re: Set-up OCD
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2018, 01:09:12 PM »
Mob grip is the worst it's too thick so it doesn't fit as nicely into the concave as Jessup and Jessup cuts so much cleaner. Also mob always lifts up at the corners on the nose and tail especially if it's cold.
Strange, in my experience jessup has always frayed off and has even melted off in hot weather and didn't stick well in cold weather.  Move seems to work fine for my needs.  To each his own tho

CoMpLeMeNts4U

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2018, 01:31:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Mob grip is the worst it's too thick so it doesn't fit as nicely into the concave as Jessup and Jessup cuts so much cleaner. Also mob always lifts up at the corners on the nose and tail especially if it's cold.
[close]
Strange, in my experience jessup has always frayed off and has even melted off in hot weather and didn't stick well in cold weather.  Move seems to work fine for my needs.  To each his own tho
Naw come fight me there's only room for one opinion.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2018, 01:37:33 PM »
It would cut better if you used a razor instead of that pocket knife! Anyway I like Mob too, M80 if I'm skating vulcs. Jessup is way too slippery for me but maybe I just suck at skating and have no control because most people on here seem to prefer Jessup

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2018, 01:47:05 PM »
Mob is far too grippy and also a shoe murderer. Jessup for life.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2018, 01:52:47 PM »
Mob if the deck is 8.5 or over.  Jessup if under.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1192
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2018, 01:52:57 PM »
I feel like m80 has the same level of grip as new jessup but it keeps the same level of grippiness for a lot longer.  It’s like 2-3x the price though, so most times I just go with jessup.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2018, 02:51:27 PM »
Mob for sure, I havn't skated jessup in so long I can't remember, I'm scared to try it now, I feel like I'd slip around

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2018, 02:58:37 PM »
Expand Quote
When changing boards, I never rotate my trucks. Front truck will always be the front truck from one board to another.
[close]

What kind of monster would rotate their trucks?

A few of my friends swear by this. I'm at a loss for words.

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2018, 03:07:37 PM »
Never rotate my trucks unless my rear truck goes to the axle so then my front truck becomes my back and ill use old front truck off an old setup. But even if it gets to that point Ill just buy a new set of trucks

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2018, 01:16:42 PM »
I don't mind red tops, in fact some of my favorite boards ever have been red tops but you'll never catch me skate a green or yellow top.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2018, 01:25:32 PM »
i can't set up a board without wheels. i just go crazy if my board doesn't have wheels on it

CoMpLeMeNts4U

« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2018, 01:34:47 PM »
i can't set up a board without wheels. i just go crazy if my board doesn't have wheels on it
Okay princess do you need your calves massaged too after every kickflip

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2018, 07:08:35 AM »
Black grip only.
White or black wheels.
Something small on the grip with silver marker. Never unmarked.
I'd love to try Thunder but OCD.
Eight black bolts (never over) or no deal.

And most important: never allow any one set up your board. I'll fight you.

Arto Saari

• Rep: 33
  • hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2018, 03:46:13 PM »
-Top and bottom ply must be colored, added bonus if top ply is a dark color to give the illusion that the grip isn't wearing away around the edges
-Raw colored hangers only, colored baseplates are fine
-White bones STF wheels, graphics IN
-Phillips head hardware only. Much better chance of finding someone with a screwdriver rather than a specific allen key
-Used to do 3 horizontal grip lines. 1 behind each truck and one in the middle. Now I do really intricate grip art with colored and clear grip.
-Always write something with a white paint marker/ silver sharpie
-First tricks I do every session are a nollie, followed by a switch ollie

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:48:15 PM by Arto Saari »

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2018, 03:33:31 AM »
I don't rotate my trucks on purpose, but since I don't keep tabs on which is which when setting up they might get switched, I dunno.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2018, 04:30:15 AM »
I don't rotate my trucks on purpose, but since I don't keep tabs on which is which when setting up they might get switched, I dunno.

Mine are actually labeled, usually 'front' and 'back' or 'F' and 'B' on the baseplates or anywhere that's not really visible to help me save time whenever I need to fly somewhere but can't bring my whole set-up with me because the deck qualifies as 'oversized luggage', 'sports equipment' or whatever it is low-cos Euro airlines like to try and fuck you over with. I used to be able to tell from the bushings, but I've fucked that up before so I can't seem to do that anymore.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2018, 06:24:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mine are actually labeled, usually 'front' and 'back' or 'F' and 'B' on the baseplates or anywhere that's not really visible to help me save time whenever I need to fly somewhere but can't bring my whole set-up with me because the deck qualifies as 'oversized luggage', 'sports equipment' or whatever it is low-cos Euro airlines like to try and fuck you over with. I used to be able to tell from the bushings, but I've fucked that up before so I can't seem to do that anymore.

can you not differentiate between the grooves? unless you're super well rounded and skate ledges switch as well as you do regular then the grooves are a dead giveaway.

CoMpLeMeNts4U

« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2018, 02:47:15 PM »
I dunno where to share this. Definitely don't wanna make a new thread about it. There's no groundbreaking information but it's nice to see a pro being so detailed about their preferences and talking about the b16. When he tries to compare the two tails how one is more pointy; he's staring at it wondering if others can notice the difference or is he just being crazy. It reminded me of this thread,

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2018, 03:50:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

can you not differentiate between the grooves? unless you're super well rounded and skate ledges switch as well as you do regular then the grooves are a dead giveaway.

I do skate ledges switch a lot and then the switch tricks I do are essentially the same four ones that I also do regular a lot (crooked grinds, nosegrinds, noseslides and tailslides), so even without being well-rounded that doesn't help. Trucks tend to last me years too so after a while they just look equally fucked up.

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2018, 04:44:10 PM »
I can always tell from Crooked grind grooves and smith grind grooves

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2018, 05:21:18 PM »
I can always tell from Crooked grind grooves and smith grind grooves
For me it’s crooks on the front and feebles on the back, I still write f or b under the baseplate when I get a new set

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2018, 06:46:41 PM »
I dunno where to share this. Definitely don't wanna make a new thread about it. There's no groundbreaking information but it's nice to see a pro being so detailed about their preferences and talking about the b16. When he tries to compare the two tails how one is more pointy; he's staring at it wondering if others can notice the difference or is he just being crazy. It reminded me of this thread,

I’ve always wished that the nine club did something where each guest would give a rundown of their whole set-up.  Maybe 15 seconds at the beginning or end of the episode; they don’t have to write a novel about it.  That kind of thing is interesting to a skate nerd like myself.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Tally810

• Rep: -9
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2018, 06:51:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’ve always wished that the nine club did something where each guest would give a rundown of their whole set-up.  Maybe 15 seconds at the beginning or end of the episode; they don’t have to write a novel about it.  That kind of thing is interesting to a skate nerd like myself.
I've thought the same thing.  Not talking about sponsored driven bs or even what brands they are riding.  Stuff like set-up ocd, board shapes, how often they set up new decks or other parts.  Reynolds said in his 9 club that he sets up a fresh deck each time he gos out to skate and wants black grip only when he really needs to focus.  Small stuff like that would be dope.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2018, 07:02:44 PM »
Bet you’d learn all kinds of weird shit like Daewon’s bushingless front truck or kader’s 9” dick.

I can’t lie, I’d be kind of hyped if someone had my exact same set-up.  You could also descend into the 9th ring of dorkdom by assembling your own board to be the same as your favorite skater.

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2018, 07:14:34 PM »
 Mismatched thunder base plates, lighting bolt on the front truck, flag on the back. 2 kingpin threads showing on both.