Author Topic: Cleaning bearings tips  (Read 8986 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: Cleaning bearings tips
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 09:12:19 AM »
I'm not recommending this but I cleaned my  6Ball Swiss with gas recently and then added one drop of lube. (just popped out the plastic cages and shields and soaked overnight) Been great. Smell great.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 90
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2021, 10:54:21 AM »
With our bearings, we recommend 99.5 IPA in a spray bottle.  You can even leave them in the wheel if you’re running them shieldless.  Hit each bearing a couple of sprays and then spin them to let the dirt/debris fly out.

Then, after they dry, hit them with a couple drops of lube or just run them.

As mentioned, acetone breaks down some materials.  And anything lower grade than 99% ipa will leave residue and or water in the bearing.

If you’re using one of those shake cleaning methods or containers or whatever, you need to start fresh before each cleaning.  Otherwise you’re sending the debris and crud right back into the bearings. That’s probably common sense but you’d be surprised.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 03:37:07 PM by Quantum_Bearing_Science »
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2021, 10:57:59 AM »
Expand Quote
I clean mine with a cloth, the put them in a jar/bottle of acetone give them a good shake. After that I let them air dry.

I've tried various brands of lube/cream and I swear that it's not as effective as just letting them dry and sticking them back in. So no lube for me.
[close]

for what its worth, all bearings will roll slower with lubricant, no matter how fancy. but without lubricant, you run the risk of heating up your bearings and having them seize/puke.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I think I will just continue to run no lube. I don’t mind having to buy a new set bearings every few years, if that’s the case.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2021, 10:59:07 AM »
I use the bones bearing cleaning kit + 99% isopropyl.

Remove the shields (I clean them too), one drop of lube done.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2021, 12:17:07 PM »
I’ve been running regular bones Swiss for about 2 and half years. I remember they weren’t that fast in the beggining, kind felt similar to reds tbh and I wasn’t impressed. Then there was this day they started making a hiss and spinning slow, maybe after half a year of use. I had bought the cleaning kit when I got them so I took them off and did the whole cleaning thing. I did use Acethone to clean (thought it was ok), but then lubed them with the speed cream. Took the shields off, which I never did before, but I wanted to try. After that it’s like they flourished. They felt faster and that dry sound was great. I was hyped and didn’t had complains for 2 years basically.
Then last week I got new wheels and when taking one of the bearings off the old wheel it just exploded.  The cage broke and the balls came off. I wanted to cry  :'( I got those things thinking they would last a lifetime.
Anyway, I got a bunch of old reds so I just grabbed one and did the cleaning again. They felt good skating last week. Just hope they don’t start breaking on me  :-\

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Quantum_Bearing_Science

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2021, 12:28:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I clean mine with a cloth, the put them in a jar/bottle of acetone give them a good shake. After that I let them air dry.

I've tried various brands of lube/cream and I swear that it's not as effective as just letting them dry and sticking them back in. So no lube for me.
[close]

for what its worth, all bearings will roll slower with lubricant, no matter how fancy. but without lubricant, you run the risk of heating up your bearings and having them seize/puke.
[close]

Thanks for the confirmation.

I think I will just continue to run no lube. I don’t mind having to buy a new set bearings every few years, if that’s the case.

Not to toot our horn, but all three series of our bearings have the same ceramic coating on them (even the cheapest series, “Metallics”... they just have steel balls where our other two have ceramic).  Very little friction and very little heat.

It’s crazy how fast ceramic cools.  When we take them out of the oven, they cool down, so quickly, that they’re almost too cold to touch.

Instagram
@quantumbearings

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2021, 12:57:00 PM »
I’ve been running regular bones Swiss for about 2 and half years. I remember they weren’t that fast in the beggining, kind felt similar to reds tbh and I wasn’t impressed. Then there was this day they started making a hiss and spinning slow, maybe after half a year of use. I had bought the cleaning kit when I got them so I took them off and did the whole cleaning thing. I did use Acethone to clean (thought it was ok), but then lubed them with the speed cream. Took the shields off, which I never did before, but I wanted to try. After that it’s like they flourished. They felt faster and that dry sound was great. I was hyped and didn’t had complains for 2 years basically.
Then last week I got new wheels and when taking one of the bearings off the old wheel it just exploded.  The cage broke and the balls came off. I wanted to cry  :'( I got those things thinking they would last a lifetime.
Anyway, I got a bunch of old reds so I just grabbed one and did the cleaning again. They felt good skating last week. Just hope they don’t start breaking on me  :-\

You can get bones to send you replacement cages. It might cost a couple dollars, but if you email them, tell them what you want and where you live, it’s like a couple of dollars since they can send it through regular mail.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2021, 03:11:17 PM »
I'm not recommending this but I cleaned my  6Ball Swiss with gas recently and then added one drop of lube. (just popped out the plastic cages and shields and soaked overnight) Been great. Smell great.

Gas leaves behind a residue, even though you might not be able to tell. I’d recommend acetone, 99% alc, or mineral spirits next time

Quantum_Bearing_Science

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2021, 03:36:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Gas leaves behind a residue, even though you might not be able to tell. I’d recommend acetone, 99% alc, or mineral spirits next time

Yeah, I should’ve mentioned mineral spirits, as well.  We’ve been known to mix 99% IPA and mineral spirits.

Instagram
@quantumbearings

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2021, 04:49:19 PM »
Ayo Quantum, what are your thoughts on using white/clear meths? Does it eat into the cages or leave residue?

Regarding the bones cleaning device, you can just make one yourself with a big ass bolt, a plastic screwtop container, some washers to seal the hole in the lid, and bearing spacers. Save yourself the money they charge for the same thing. I made one a while back, it worked great but i can't find it atm, probably lent it to someone
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2021, 05:36:19 PM »
Ayo Quantum, what are your thoughts on using white/clear meths? Does it eat into the cages or leave residue?

Meths?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 06:03:03 PM by Quantum_Bearing_Science »

Instagram
@quantumbearings

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2021, 06:34:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Meths?
Methylated Spirits
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2021, 07:09:17 PM »
Ok.  I thought we were really about to go off topic. 😂

Methylated spirits (Denatured ethyl alcohol or DEA) don’t evaporate as quickly as IPA so the preference is to use 99% IPA.  If you do use DEA, I would recommend immediately hitting it with 2 drops of lube while the bearing is still wet with the DEA and then spin it. 

Instagram
@quantumbearings

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2021, 10:42:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You can get bones to send you replacement cages. It might cost a couple dollars, but if you email them, tell them what you want and where you live, it’s like a couple of dollars since they can send it through regular mail.

I had terrible luck with BONE CS when it came to bearings. I somehow cracked a race (outer) and they never responded to multiple emails.

Wheels, they replaced in a hot minute.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2021, 06:00:46 PM »
Remove shields, spray with wd40 (or similar grit remover), wipe down with rag, two drops of speed cream in each bearing, replace shields, ROLL!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2021, 07:27:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I had terrible luck with BONE CS when it came to bearings. I somehow cracked a race (outer) and they never responded to multiple emails.

Bummer! My experiences have been positive, though. I successfully replaced shields and cages through skateone a few times over the past few years.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2021, 08:41:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Bummer! My experiences have been positive, though. I successfully replaced shields and cages through skateone a few times over the past few years.

If there’s one thing that doesn’t work is costumer service for European costumers. Every time I had a quality problem with any skate product and tried to contact the brands they either push it to the European distribution (which never comes back to me) or tell me to mail the defective product to their base in the US. Sure, I’m gonna mail this thing, pay a shit load of money and wait a eternity to get my stuff sorted. Might aswell just buy new stuff. ::)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2021, 02:21:40 PM »
is there a better way to take bearings out than reefing on them with a skate tool? im always hesitant to clean my new-ish bearings cause i feel like it fucks the cages up and adds a bunch of slop

sketchyrider

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2021, 02:25:51 PM »
is there a better way to take bearings out than reefing on them with a skate tool? im always hesitant to clean my new-ish bearings cause i feel like it fucks the cages up and adds a bunch of slop

bearing press.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391754288350?epid=1273730866&hash=item5b36600cde:g:4GYAAOSwTr9eZsPy

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2021, 04:20:41 PM »
oh jesus christ i have one i just didnt realize it had a puller on the back

Quantum_Bearing_Science

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2021, 04:49:50 PM »

I cringe when I see people torquing their bearings on their truck axle or using some similar method.

We’ve got a little something coming soon.  Stay tuned.  😉

Instagram
@quantumbearings

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2021, 08:08:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I cringe when I see people torquing their bearings on their truck axle or using some similar method.

We’ve got a little something coming soon.  Stay tuned.  😉

I saw this post and asked myself why I never bought a bones bearing puller. Has anyone ever used one?

I’ll wait and see what @Quantum_Bearing_Science shows us before I buy one

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2021, 02:17:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

If there’s one thing that doesn’t work is costumer service for European costumers. Every time I had a quality problem with any skate product and tried to contact the brands they either push it to the European distribution (which never comes back to me) or tell me to mail the defective product to their base in the US. Sure, I’m gonna mail this thing, pay a shit load of money and wait a eternity to get my stuff sorted. Might aswell just buy new stuff. ::)
This 100%. I’ve been trying to contact bones (same problem you had, broke outer ring from week old set swiss), nhs you name it, and only one ever replied was dlx but they couldn’t help me either after hearing me being in EU…
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2021, 08:51:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
This 100%. I’ve been trying to contact bones (same problem you had, broke outer ring from week old set swiss), nhs you name it, and only one ever replied was dlx but they couldn’t help me either after hearing me being in EU…

I’m genuinely bummed out to hear they are unhelpful to the EU brothers and sisters.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2021, 09:28:40 AM »
any remedy for squeaky bearings? cleaned them a couple times (acetone/bones unit), they run good but still squeak. worth it to remove the cages/balls and deep clean?

Quantum_Bearing_Science

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2021, 10:33:20 AM »
Lube?  That cures most squeaks.

How old are the bearings you’re running?

Instagram
@quantumbearings

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2021, 11:22:27 AM »

Regarding the bones cleaning device, you can just make one yourself with a big ass bolt, a plastic screwtop container, some washers to seal the hole in the lid, and bearing spacers. Save yourself the money they charge for the same thing. I made one a while back, it worked great but i can't find it atm, probably lent it to someone

Made one too! Used an old juice bottle, and a screw as mentioned. Had spacers at home

Kinda like this. Works well!

from r/NewSkaters

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2021, 11:06:56 AM »
Listening to Foys stop and chat and he talks about popping shields and just putting windex in them to get grease out and then never re lubes them and runs them dry no shield. Anyone try this? It’s got me interested.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2021, 11:35:37 AM »
Quote from: Murge  :'(link=topic=102131.msg3586126#msg3586126 date=1624385216
Listening to Foys stop and chat and he talks about popping shields and just putting windex in them to get grease out and then never re lubes them and runs them dry no shield. Anyone try this? It’s got me interested.
Hell no, unlike him I have to pay for my stuff hence I want it to last.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2021, 05:44:49 PM »
Quote from: Murge  :'(link=topic=102131.msg3586126#msg3586126 date=1624385216
Expand Quote
[close]
Hell no, unlike him I have to pay for my stuff hence I want it to last.

Ha yeah the reality of normal people vs the "free product" and sometimes curious ways of the other side can be two different things entirely.

I still cannot comprehend how some people I know do things to their bearings on purpose which reduces the life and the speed of them - no shields and as noisy as they possibly can is how they like them.

Not to worry, I keep my shields on and my bearings quietly running how they should and all is good in my world.

Each to their own though.

No worries there.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.