Author Topic: Mark suciu show middle finger to palace  (Read 88829 times)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1374
Re: Mark suciu show middle finger to palace
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2018, 09:54:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Gotta side with Suicune on this one.
[close]

ive always been more of an entei fan myself
[close]

Caught a shiny suicune last week. Hands down the highlight of my Pokemon career.
[close]
Are you playing crystall? My heart skipped a beat at this comment. I hope it's crystal and not fire red. This motherfucker suicine I put him to sleep, use false swipe, and then hammer him with masterballs and it just never works. 15 mother fucking pokeballs didn't work. Do you remember if you have to tap anything on Gameboy color while it's in the actual ball? It takes time to acquire all the pokeballs and then they go instantly. I remember it not taking that long for me as a 10 year old. I wonder if im doing something wrong. If not disregard me.

Saturated

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2018, 10:05:00 AM »
Someone in this thread actually said "selling out is just proof that it worked".

Skateboarding is really starting to bum me the fuck out. When did integrity become a dirty word?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2018, 10:31:46 AM »
Someone in this thread actually said "selling out is just proof that it worked".

Skateboarding is really starting to bum me the fuck out. When did integrity become a dirty word?

He works for adidas you aren't supposed to listen to him

Dima

• Rep: -6
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2018, 12:01:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that was quite a few heated responses. I don’t like palace. that’s all. if I were an old curmudgeon I would be riding anti-hero’s dick but I criticize them and all the old guys like 10/10 who refuse to change. I like polar and northern co. and theories and state and other smaller skate brands so I really don’t think being close minded or old is the issue. btw I wasn’t backing supreme - I was lumping them and palace together. they both have some good riders whose skating is good but so does numbers. I’m not into the brands that are too chummy with nike, addidas, polo, etc. shit’s wack. just my opinion.
[close]

Without Meaning to be a pedant, you say you back Polar but hate brands that are chummy with Nike etc. Nearly their whole team rides Nike and they did a collab shoe with Cons so your argument makes no sense.

As for people hating Palace for getting big, tbh most of it has been an accident that they're just rolling with, it's not some great masterplan. They got good money from doing the Adidas and Umbro collabs and got some fashion attention from and used it to grow the brand. As for the fashion thing being a problem, you have to realise that that's just who Lev and a lot of their mates are, East London is a melting pot where everyone knows each other and stuff like fashion just rubs off, doesn't make them any less of a skater just cos you think they're too trendy, same for the Supreme team.

It's a bunch of mates who started a tiny board company that's gone on to do collabs with Adidas, Reebok, Umbro, Polo etc, got their gear on the women's Wimbledon winner, main billboards in Tokyo all whilst giving loads of coin to Southank, building Mwadlands and sorting all their riders out big time. Also, they still sell product to skate shops rather than being direct to customer which they could easily do. If you can't back that cos it's not "core" then you can keep on waiting for skating to die again so it's like it was back in your days.

As for Palace dying a death in the next coupe of years, I think Supreme has shown that skate/fashion brands can have longevity and that there's not really a limit to how big they'll get. Personally I don't see Palace as anywhere near as hype as Supreme which is probably good for the brand, if they're lucky they can find a space in the market similar to Stussy where they start out super hype but can stay at a level afterwards where they're never the coolest thing on the market but are always seen as decent, Stussy were doing incredible volume of product in Britain a couple of years ago but always managed not to get so blown out that they weren't cool anymore.

Personally they're not my favourite brand but what they do is sick for skating when they could easily just cash in totally and not give a fuck.
[close]

I support Polar, the board company, not the shoe company that sponsors a lot of its riders. That's two different things.

So, let's see, I don't like this overhyped brand that you like so I must be a "core" kook who wants skateboarding to be underground again. Haven't heard that one before. Most of your argument relies on projection and straw manning. So, does that mean you're a conformist normie who only feels secure liking things that have majority approval? If I'm an old crank are you one of the bandwagon jumpers who hopped on once you saw everyone else doing it? Shit, I kinda like this way of thinking. It requires very little thought and reinforces my worldview. Or, maybe Palace is not my cup of tea? Just 'cause it had humble beginnings doesn't mean it's not pumping out crap now.

You know right that Polar was started with aprox 75k of Nike money?

SubCurban Commando

• Rep: 16
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2018, 12:19:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that was quite a few heated responses. I don’t like palace. that’s all. if I were an old curmudgeon I would be riding anti-hero’s dick but I criticize them and all the old guys like 10/10 who refuse to change. I like polar and northern co. and theories and state and other smaller skate brands so I really don’t think being close minded or old is the issue. btw I wasn’t backing supreme - I was lumping them and palace together. they both have some good riders whose skating is good but so does numbers. I’m not into the brands that are too chummy with nike, addidas, polo, etc. shit’s wack. just my opinion.
[close]

Without Meaning to be a pedant, you say you back Polar but hate brands that are chummy with Nike etc. Nearly their whole team rides Nike and they did a collab shoe with Cons so your argument makes no sense.

As for people hating Palace for getting big, tbh most of it has been an accident that they're just rolling with, it's not some great masterplan. They got good money from doing the Adidas and Umbro collabs and got some fashion attention from and used it to grow the brand. As for the fashion thing being a problem, you have to realise that that's just who Lev and a lot of their mates are, East London is a melting pot where everyone knows each other and stuff like fashion just rubs off, doesn't make them any less of a skater just cos you think they're too trendy, same for the Supreme team.

It's a bunch of mates who started a tiny board company that's gone on to do collabs with Adidas, Reebok, Umbro, Polo etc, got their gear on the women's Wimbledon winner, main billboards in Tokyo all whilst giving loads of coin to Southank, building Mwadlands and sorting all their riders out big time. Also, they still sell product to skate shops rather than being direct to customer which they could easily do. If you can't back that cos it's not "core" then you can keep on waiting for skating to die again so it's like it was back in your days.

As for Palace dying a death in the next coupe of years, I think Supreme has shown that skate/fashion brands can have longevity and that there's not really a limit to how big they'll get. Personally I don't see Palace as anywhere near as hype as Supreme which is probably good for the brand, if they're lucky they can find a space in the market similar to Stussy where they start out super hype but can stay at a level afterwards where they're never the coolest thing on the market but are always seen as decent, Stussy were doing incredible volume of product in Britain a couple of years ago but always managed not to get so blown out that they weren't cool anymore.

Personally they're not my favourite brand but what they do is sick for skating when they could easily just cash in totally and not give a fuck.
[close]

I support Polar, the board company, not the shoe company that sponsors a lot of its riders. That's two different things.

So, let's see, I don't like this overhyped brand that you like so I must be a "core" kook who wants skateboarding to be underground again. Haven't heard that one before. Most of your argument relies on projection and straw manning. So, does that mean you're a conformist normie who only feels secure liking things that have majority approval? If I'm an old crank are you one of the bandwagon jumpers who hopped on once you saw everyone else doing it? Shit, I kinda like this way of thinking. It requires very little thought and reinforces my worldview. Or, maybe Palace is not my cup of tea? Just 'cause it had humble beginnings doesn't mean it's not pumping out crap now.
[close]

You know right that Polar was started with aprox 75k of Nike money?

Don't bother arguing with him, he knows trendy internet arguing terms like straw manning.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2018, 12:29:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Caught a shiny suicune last week. Hands down the highlight of my Pokemon career.
[close]
Are you playing crystall? My heart skipped a beat at this comment. I hope it's crystal and not fire red. This motherfucker suicine I put him to sleep, use false swipe, and then hammer him with masterballs and it just never works. 15 mother fucking pokeballs didn't work. Do you remember if you have to tap anything on Gameboy color while it's in the actual ball? It takes time to acquire all the pokeballs and then they go instantly. I remember it not taking that long for me as a 10 year old. I wonder if im doing something wrong. If not disregard me.
[close]

I remember as a kid I'd hit Up+B at the height of the throw and then A+B when it hit and had a pretty great success rate. Could catch Ho-Oh with one Ultra Ball with it's health in the red.

CoMpLeMeNts4U

« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2018, 12:31:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I remember as a kid I'd hit Up+B at the height of the throw and then A+B when it hit and had a pretty great success rate. Could catch Ho-Oh with one Ultra Ball with it's health in the red.
Hmm I will try this

playemright

« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2018, 12:46:33 PM »

Selling out of product dumbass. You could say they sold out though, but I would say they sold up. One thing I learned is that skateboarders fucking hate blatant success, really activates their almonds.

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2018, 12:56:42 PM »
One thing I learned is that skateboarders fucking hate blatant success, really activates their almonds.

nothing bothers losers more than seeing someone win.

The Mess

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
  • please don't kill me jesse.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #159 on: November 14, 2018, 12:57:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Gotta side with Suicune on this one. To take shots at other brands for no reason is lame af.
[close]

yeah i hate when companies diss other companies man

yeah, except this ad was made as a specific response to Powell talking shit on Blind and "small companies". It wasn't just an unprovoked diss a la Palace. Am I wrong, did Habitat fuck with Palace? If so this is all fair. But if not, kook move.
i have nothing to fear but jesse himself.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Re: Mark suciu show middle finger to
« Reply #160 on: November 14, 2018, 01:16:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't get how doing a collab Polo is considered cool.
[close]

That same collab that sold out in a couple seconds. You are probably the one who’s out of touch here.

Who thinks that Palace will be hurting anytime soon must be living a shell. They just opened a new Tokyo Shop that looks insane, and their hype was boosted a lot by the POLO collab.
Their best move was to not rely only on skateboarding and cash in with all the hype stuff, and they’ve been milking it really well.
As I said once in here, Palace is the Robbin Wood of skateboarding, selling stuff to rich kids to then give back to skateboarding (well, they also get mad rich along the way).

Alien and habitat tho, what was the last relevant thing they did? They used to be my favourite brands, I spent my whole high school years in a Habitat hoodie, I watched Mindfield a trillion times, but damn, right now I’m more excited about Foundation than those two combined. It’s sad but Palace just stated the facts here...
[close]
oh nice, its cool because it sells out..... you're dumb as hell. robbin wood? hahahahha fuck you
[close]

You idiot, doing a collab with Polo is a no-brainer, whether you like it or not.
Selling out its just the proof that it worked.

Slap:
Habitat does a bob's burger collab: iT's nOt tHaT bAd, i LiKe tHe sHoW!
Palace does a Polo Collab: i dOnT gEt wHy iTs cOoL.

You guys are just mad because they called out your holy cows, and you all just entered full denial mode.
[close]

I understand that selling shit to fuckboys has always been the backbone of skateboarding. The people paying $30 for thrasher t-shirts allow them to give Evan Smith 20,000 for that 540 over a car. That's how etnies and DC built parks too.

To me this PalaceXPolo collab is on the same tier as Tony Hawk RC cars, CKY trucks, Diamond x Adventure time, Lakai hello kitty shoes, Dragonball Z decks, Nike SB x NBA and supreme pinball machines. Some that shit I liked.

I have Santa Cruz star wars decks on the walls in my house.

Polo is as relevant to skateboarding as bob's burgers is, which is to say that it isn't. It's fine to like the Palace Polo collab but it's no better or worse than anything else. Would wear the polo bear sweater if it wasn't too expensive

Well, with this answer I guess you actually understand why the collab was cool, at least to someone (skaters inclueded).
I appreciate what you wrote tho, because I agree with most part of it.
I think all those collabs and products are part of the fun.
Even if they have nothing to relate with skateboarding they resonate with skaters from a non skater point of view, because there are skaters that also liked Dragonball, others that love NBA, like a regular joe. Because yeah, guess what, you are allowed to like other stuff out of skateboarding, and there's no problem when that crossover between worlds happens.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -218
« Reply #161 on: November 14, 2018, 01:17:50 PM »
God, I hate Habitat/AWS

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2018, 01:18:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He works for adidas you aren't supposed to listen to him

It's true, I'm a corp bot.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2018, 03:42:44 PM »
It was in Crystal - Full odds soft reseting. Under 1000 SRs.

Happened while I was at work (slacking). It was so hard to contain my excitement!

I'm running a full shiny team. Absolutely love shiny hunting in older gens.

CoMpLeMeNts4U

« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »

Happened while I was at work (slacking). It was so hard to contain my excitement!

Fuck that is a dope Gameboy advance.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:53:19 PM by CoMpLeMeNts4U »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #165 on: November 14, 2018, 04:03:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is that an ebay rebuild or is that stock?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #166 on: November 14, 2018, 04:12:24 PM »
Crystal is my shit, best pokemon game imo. Did anyone realize that when you pick your starter Pokemon you're actually choosing the difficulty level of the game? That being said, Cyndaquil will forever and always be my favorite.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2018, 04:16:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Is that an ebay rebuild or is that stock?

I built it myself - AGS 101 screen, and a reshell. I do a ton of console modding. Video games (Mainly Pokemon) are my shiz.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2018, 04:23:28 PM »
Crystal is my shit, best pokemon game imo. Did anyone realize that when you pick your starter Pokemon you're actually choosing the difficulty level of the game? That being said, Cyndaquil will forever and always be my favorite.

Yeah it's always been like that. They even akcnowledge it in the cartoon; saying Bulbasaur is best for beginners, Squirtle for intermediate and Charmander for skilled trainers.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #169 on: November 14, 2018, 04:32:01 PM »
Expand Quote

Talking about 'the culture', thanks to such collabs they do things along the likes of saving South Bank and building free skateparks in London where it rains like half the year. If it weren't for them, those locations might as well be glorified Starbucks right now and hundreds of local skateboarders would be struggling right now. Their collabs make them so powerful they go as far as getting to influence local politics, now in their position I'm really curious (and down to shoot the shit), what would you do?

[close]

That is a very good question and one to which I don't have very thought out answer to. I mean I get that they can do good stuff for skateboarding with the money they make from those lame streetwear people. But is it worth it in the end? I don't know. For me, I'd say no. Staying true to yourself is very important to me. What that is varies a lot between people and who am I to say other people are wrong in doing something I wouldn't?

Would I do something immoral or against my views to get money to use for something I deem to be a good purpose. I hope not. But then again I do have a job and sometimes do things I'm not 100% stoked on there. So it is a grey area for sure. At what point have we crossed the line and are doing something "too wrong" just for money? That also varies a lot between people. I just think Palace is lame with their bullshit products and image and targeting trendy fashion streetwear people or what ever those people are and it has nothing to do with skateboarding and isn't the kind of culture I want associated with skateboarding. IMO it's a lot different compared for example to when skate shoes were popular among non skaters. I don't think the companies tried to pander to the non skaters to use that money towards skateboarding, at least as much as what Palace is doing.

Fuck, this is just an incoherent ramble cuz I haven't got a straight answer/opinion on this and I've been interrupted too many times when typing this. What I wanted to say is that what Palace is selling and what kind of an image they are pushing is not what I want associated with skateboarding and even though they are giving back to skateboarding with the money they make from non skaters I don't think it's ultimately worth it. Yet they are free to do as they wish. I'm just not gonna buy their stuff.

I don't think you're rambling, I think I totally get what you're trying to say fundamentally because I'm not really the demographic for Palace's whole shtick image-wise either, throughout the past twenty years I've seen enough immaturity in skateboarding (from Big Brother, which was sick, to the Piss Drunk thing, which sucked) to put me off that kind of vibe as my go to. I'm not going to buy their stuff either (it doesn't look like my money would make a difference anyway). But damn, not trying to put words in your mouth but the part I put in bold feels like you're basically saying you wish Southbank were a bunch of Starbucks and London didn't have a skatepark for all the locals to enjoy on the sole basis that the guys who saved the spot also happen to be successful in the fashion scene? When London is where Palace is run, so I'm pretty sure that qualifies as staying true to yourself as opposed to (random inconsiderate example) Vans running Pro Series or Downtown Showdowns? (Which Palace was invited on in Amsterdam by the way, the ramp they designed was a giant ashtray). Pretty sure the guys are just having a fucking good time enjoying their position literally hi-jacking the superficial streetwear scene, I mean the whole idea just sounds like a skateboarder's dream come true, just giving the finger to the giants and stealing their loot to build fucking ramps for fellow rats to skate. All shticks aside, how more real does one get than this?

What do you think about all the other indie brands who were equally funded with Adidas or Nike money (and there are more than you think)? I don't know if you skate those but if yes, does it bother you when you buy one that you're supporting a company who's essentially doing the same thing Palace is doing with their collabs, taking money from the big groups, just not officially? Because if that's evil to you, by purchasing those products you're fueling it just the same. But then what are the other alternatives really? Big established brands that have been around for so long they don't know how to reboot themselves and don't do shit for your local scene? What other "image" is left for you to wish skateboarding could be popularly associated with? Thrasher? (My stance is to learn to stop giving a shit how skateboarding is portrayed in the mainstream and just do it).

I don't mean my tone to sound like I'm confronting you, again I like the discussion so sorry in advance if this post feels pretty intense, that's just how I am. I'm actually intrigued by your logic on the matter, but you don't have to reply anymore if that's annoying.

Also if you've ever bought at least one Traffic board or skate any other indie board brands that actually are grassroots, you're welcome to just disregard everything I just said.

I built it myself - AGS 101 screen, and a reshell. I do a ton of console modding. Video games (Mainly Pokemon) are my shiz.

Unrelated but that's sick, I don't play video games anymore but when I was a kid I always wished I could do that type of stuff.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:38:37 PM by silhouette »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #170 on: November 14, 2018, 04:50:39 PM »
So did Habitat do a Charmander collab is that what this thread is about?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #171 on: November 14, 2018, 04:51:31 PM »
So did Habitat do a Charmander collab is that what this thread is about?

This but you have to mod the board yourself.

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #172 on: November 14, 2018, 04:53:19 PM »

jesus i was expecting an ultra sun/moon shiny which are relatively easy compared to the og games
congrats on that i wish i had the patience

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #173 on: November 14, 2018, 05:03:47 PM »

You did a super nice job. Very cool.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2018, 05:07:11 PM »

TMNT Krux - not shocked
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

thot juice

• Rep: -54
« Reply #175 on: November 14, 2018, 07:22:14 PM »
i only sk8 in silk lanvin pyjamas & white hotel slippers from la ritz so wasnt feeling polo collab but i still hate habitat & austyn gillette

Viktor Tsoi

• Rep: -32
« Reply #176 on: November 14, 2018, 07:33:20 PM »
>dwindle

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #177 on: November 15, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »
so wait hold up, Mark Suicune flipped off some cops?  NYC dun changed him.
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

feedmeseymour

« Reply #178 on: November 15, 2018, 11:26:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Alien Workshop is dead

and Bob's Burgers isn't funny
start stacking those Reward Points while you still can.

[close]

Yeah, what a riot of a post. Half the time your shit is written in crayon so this one I can actually read. This might be the most creative thing you've ever done in your life.

I won't buy Quasi boards because they back your dumb ass.

EDIT: And hey you dumb fucking vulture, when was the last time you actually supported a company with a dollar instead of begging for free shit all the time?

salt level over 9000.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2018, 12:00:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Talking about 'the culture', thanks to such collabs they do things along the likes of saving South Bank and building free skateparks in London where it rains like half the year. If it weren't for them, those locations might as well be glorified Starbucks right now and hundreds of local skateboarders would be struggling right now. Their collabs make them so powerful they go as far as getting to influence local politics, now in their position I'm really curious (and down to shoot the shit), what would you do?

[close]

That is a very good question and one to which I don't have very thought out answer to. I mean I get that they can do good stuff for skateboarding with the money they make from those lame streetwear people. But is it worth it in the end? I don't know. For me, I'd say no. Staying true to yourself is very important to me. What that is varies a lot between people and who am I to say other people are wrong in doing something I wouldn't?

Would I do something immoral or against my views to get money to use for something I deem to be a good purpose. I hope not. But then again I do have a job and sometimes do things I'm not 100% stoked on there. So it is a grey area for sure. At what point have we crossed the line and are doing something "too wrong" just for money? That also varies a lot between people. I just think Palace is lame with their bullshit products and image and targeting trendy fashion streetwear people or what ever those people are and it has nothing to do with skateboarding and isn't the kind of culture I want associated with skateboarding. IMO it's a lot different compared for example to when skate shoes were popular among non skaters. I don't think the companies tried to pander to the non skaters to use that money towards skateboarding, at least as much as what Palace is doing.

Fuck, this is just an incoherent ramble cuz I haven't got a straight answer/opinion on this and I've been interrupted too many times when typing this. What I wanted to say is that what Palace is selling and what kind of an image they are pushing is not what I want associated with skateboarding and even though they are giving back to skateboarding with the money they make from non skaters I don't think it's ultimately worth it. Yet they are free to do as they wish. I'm just not gonna buy their stuff.
[close]

I don't think you're rambling, I think I totally get what you're trying to say fundamentally because I'm not really the demographic for Palace's whole shtick image-wise either, throughout the past twenty years I've seen enough immaturity in skateboarding (from Big Brother, which was sick, to the Piss Drunk thing, which sucked) to put me off that kind of vibe as my go to. I'm not going to buy their stuff either (it doesn't look like my money would make a difference anyway). But damn, not trying to put words in your mouth but the part I put in bold feels like you're basically saying you wish Southbank were a bunch of Starbucks and London didn't have a skatepark for all the locals to enjoy on the sole basis that the guys who saved the spot also happen to be successful in the fashion scene? When London is where Palace is run, so I'm pretty sure that qualifies as staying true to yourself as opposed to (random inconsiderate example) Vans running Pro Series or Downtown Showdowns? (Which Palace was invited on in Amsterdam by the way, the ramp they designed was a giant ashtray). Pretty sure the guys are just having a fucking good time enjoying their position literally hi-jacking the superficial streetwear scene, I mean the whole idea just sounds like a skateboarder's dream come true, just giving the finger to the giants and stealing their loot to build fucking ramps for fellow rats to skate. All shticks aside, how more real does one get than this?

What do you think about all the other indie brands who were equally funded with Adidas or Nike money (and there are more than you think)? I don't know if you skate those but if yes, does it bother you when you buy one that you're supporting a company who's essentially doing the same thing Palace is doing with their collabs, taking money from the big groups, just not officially? Because if that's evil to you, by purchasing those products you're fueling it just the same. But then what are the other alternatives really? Big established brands that have been around for so long they don't know how to reboot themselves and don't do shit for your local scene? What other "image" is left for you to wish skateboarding could be popularly associated with? Thrasher? (My stance is to learn to stop giving a shit how skateboarding is portrayed in the mainstream and just do it).

I don't mean my tone to sound like I'm confronting you, again I like the discussion so sorry in advance if this post feels pretty intense, that's just how I am. I'm actually intrigued by your logic on the matter, but you don't have to reply anymore if that's annoying.

Also if you've ever bought at least one Traffic board or skate any other indie board brands that actually are grassroots, you're welcome to just disregard everything I just said.

I don't wish skate spots going away and I'm all for new spots and parks popping up. But does the end justify the means? To me that is rarely the case. I'm not saying that Palace is doing something horrible like selling guns to terrorists to fund cool stuff. They're just pushing an image & culture I don't like therefore I can't fully back what they're doing. Also slagging off Habitat for no apparent reason didn't exactly improve their image in my eyes and I'm not a big Habitat fan at all. Never had a Habitat board and probably won't but I think they're alright.

I get your point about Palace "playing the game" of streetwear and using the "wins" for what they deem good. Is that good? Not 100% at least. Where would you draw the line? What if it were junk food instead of streetwear? Or guns? Or something else that's not according to your values? I don't know why they are doing what they're doing. They might actually be really into that shit, which makes them lame in my eyes. And if they're just "playing the game" and having a laugh doing it I don't still see it as a good thing as that's just dishonest and pushing some shit you yourself think is lame. 🤔

I have to admit that I'm a bit of a purist, maybe less and less the older I get but still by no means ok with everything. I am not a fan of Nike, Adidas & Cons being in skateboarding but it's hard to argue against the shit they're doing even if their motives possibly aren't as pure as those of skater owned companies. Truth be told, I have no idea how shady Sole Tech or Lakai or other skater owned brands are. I tried to avoid supporting the sport brands in skating but I caved in and bought a bunch of Cons cuz I absolutely love how Chucks look. Got rid of them all after the nazi debacle though. Also been considering not buying pro models of guys on Nike, Adidas, Cons or NB but that just makes things way too fucking difficult.

Smaller brands "funded" by the big sport brands. I don't like it. I don't know what exactly has happened but I've heard Polar getting money from Cons (Nike) to start. Pontus used to be anti corpo while on Emerica but then went to Cons and shut up. I still like Polar. It's not so black and white, sadly. It's all grey like all things in life. 😊

I also want to say that I see no inherent value in skateboarding being big or being inflated with Nike, McDonalds and whatever money and the Olympics and all that. The Olympics might give us some more skate parks but I doubt any of that shit will improve skateboarding for the average skater in any way.

There's a whole bunch more I wanted to say on the subject but this is everything that came out of my brain for now. 😊

I'm in no way offended by anything you've posted. I think you're a great poster and seem like a good person and a genuinely nice chap. I also appreciate that you're up for an actual discussion. That is something that's getting rarer and rarer these days, especially on forums. So no reason to be sorry or anything like that cuz I enjoy this discussion. 😊