Author Topic: Skating big rails in their 30s  (Read 3170 times)

roomservice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Skating big rails in their 30s
« on: November 24, 2018, 12:31:54 PM »
How much longer will Leo and Dane ride the bars?

Jemp83

• Rep: -7
Re: Skating big rails in their 30s
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 12:41:20 PM »
When their bodies will no longer allow them to do so. /thread

ratherwatch

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 01:50:49 PM »
I've been wondering about this recently - if people box on too late, everyone is praying for them to quit.
When skaters slow down, they've gone soft.
Most boxers love their game first of all and many stay involved after they retire, but it is only for the headstrong at the rough end and only for a short window.
Not that many people skate big rails just for the thrill of it.
Some do and God bless them, but there is a lot of misery involved so the answer I would have thought is 'until it is not part of the job'.
In both fields, retirement tells you when its time and if you are smart you listen to it.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 02:18:27 PM »
Jamie Thomas in Cold War was 39 wasn’t he, legit tails and impossible 50-50 on Clipper no less. That part was inspiring.

The old Zero heads are in their 30s and still hitting big shit AFAIK. Brockman and Burman for instance.

Reynolds goes big, Ellington and Greco in the Deathwish vid are hitting alsorts of rails and big shit.

There are more...

I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 07:40:54 PM »
The effect of impact gets so much worse with age. Going off a curb feels like jumping down a 10-stair after 40

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1192
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 08:05:34 PM »
The effect of impact gets so much worse with age. Going off a curb feels like jumping down a 10-stair after 40

Not looking forward to that.  I started skating way more after I turned 30 and realized that I don’t have an infinite amount of time left on the board.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

76CTA

• Rep: -7
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 08:26:02 PM »
Not being an academic person I had to do manual labour for an income and hurt my lower back. I’ve never been the same since. Look after yourself and skating beyond your mid 30’s will not be an ordeal. Stretching and diet are also keys.

fs overkrook

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 08:45:54 PM »
Hopefully Dane just quits I can’t stand watching him skate

rubbery vagina

• Rep: -51
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 06:30:09 PM »
How could you hate on this?

FLstrange

• Rep: 324
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 06:58:36 PM »
skating as a whole wasn't evolved. board technology was limited to people finding a old rollerskate and nailing it to a scrap 2x4. people didnt have a way to watch videos to learn tricks from and nobody knew how to ollie yet. i really doubt many big rails got skated in the 1930's. the 2030's on the other hand all skate hardgoods will be considered contraband and will require a permit and have serial numbers, only those competing in the olympic qualifiers will be granted access to them so any big rails skated will be of competition regulation size only.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 07:31:55 PM »
skating as a whole wasn't evolved. board technology was limited to people finding a old rollerskate and nailing it to a scrap 2x4. people didnt have a way to watch videos to learn tricks from and nobody knew how to ollie yet. i really doubt many big rails got skated in the 1930's. the 2030's on the other hand all skate hardgoods will be considered contraband and will require a permit and have serial numbers, only those competing in the olympic qualifiers will be granted access to them so any big rails skated will be of competition regulation size only.
Orwellian shredding is the future.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 07:42:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 07:44:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Yes.
Most fitting bladerunner sig ever haha.

ArtVandelay

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 12:59:32 AM »

Do you think skateboarding would exist without rollerskating? I mean I guess eventually someone would’ve figured it out, but without those clunky skates and their temptuous clay wheels just begging to be to ripped off and nailed to a 2x4, skateboarding could be decades behind where it is now. Is it time we give rollerskates and roller skaters (bladers) their proper due? Shall we tip our hats and be more respectful to our blading brothers - err pioneers - if you will?