Author Topic: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock  (Read 371263 times)

euro tm

Re: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock
« Reply #420 on: January 04, 2019, 01:30:58 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsOjYbnlMqw/

mackenzie isehour of transworld just posted this. i wasn’t aware of how bad it was until i saw this. so fucked up.

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #421 on: January 04, 2019, 01:31:54 PM »
I'm old as fuck and have little understanding of media shit but after just a cursory glance at this crew after reading this garbage why isn't their various IG accounts getting bombed with comments like "great clip, thankfully no one was beat up and left in a coma for it!" by everyone here? If the pressure was ramped up for others in that fashion (j.j, and no not saying they are the same) to get their sponsors thinking about supporting them, then why is it "business as usual" as someone mentioned for these guys?
And no not trying to start an argument just thinking out loud here as a guy who is wondering what shit is coming to.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 50
« Reply #422 on: January 04, 2019, 01:43:31 PM »
Kudos to Mackenzie for speaking out about it. I think it's ironic that Tony Vitello was just on the cover of the San Francisco Chronicle and showed up for the bail hearing for Jesse a couple weeks ago. In the video from the courthouse Tony sure did look to be avoiding that news camera. Maybe because he was listed as an executive producer for the last GX video.

Here Come The Lame Jets

Get the strap

« Reply #423 on: January 04, 2019, 01:45:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Industry better talk about it
[close]

Hah, good one
[close]

Ha, yeah I know, long shot...The industry at seldom times has spoken out in the past about community involvement, racial diversity, sexual diversity/awareness, cancer, drugs, excessive drinking, drinking and driving, life in 3rd world countries, health, environment...I'm sure there are other subjects...it's not too far of a stretch to bring up violence (can't believe I'm typing violence) . Only platform I can see anything remotely mentioned would be on Skateline NBD.
[close]
I agree that I could see Gary offering some actual level headed advice along the lines of "chill the fuck out before you spend years in prison", but the minute anyone talks about skateboarding as a single thing "what's good for skateboarding" or "the image of skateboarding" you will instantly lose everyone who is actually out there skating.
[close]

lol

Your lol made me lol...A segment would be cool but I was thinking a quick statement on the screen and the end of the video.

I just remembered didn't Josh Kalis at Love Park bribe police and security with product? Boy have times changed...I wonder if pros from other regions did something similar...

I remember 90s code of conduct was not to blow up spot and ruin it for others. So really the industry should have zero tolerance, but I guess they've changed.

My honest opinion, the gx1000 videos are cool, but I've never seen them as authentic hill bombers. They've always seemed like skate park jocks putting a skate park jock effort into skating hills. That's how it aesthetically looks to me anyways. I'm in my mid 30's so a hill bomber traditioanlly imo is kind of its own genre like street or vert. Just my personal observation.

Chapingro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #424 on: January 04, 2019, 01:54:07 PM »
I just watched the video in this news link. Skateboard to the head? A half dozen (or more) dudes against a rent a cop? What a bunch of bitches. I've been a GX fan but this is some bitch ass shit. I'm gonna bring this up to as a discussion point with every skater i know. This should never have happened and should never happen again. I hope that all the kooks who were involved with this have trouble sleeping at night and face repercussions that are appropriate for their level of involvement. I'm open to changing my mind but that's how I see it now. Will keep reading the thread to see other perspectives. Fuck this bitch ass shit.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Skateboard-Attack-Leaves-San-Francisco-Security-Guard-With-Brain-Damage-503888341.html

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 02:09:03 PM by Chapingro »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #425 on: January 04, 2019, 01:56:32 PM »
I'm gonna bring this up to everyone I see from now on

Do you really think the old lady behind you in line at the grocery store is going to want to hear about this?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Trickflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #426 on: January 04, 2019, 01:59:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you really think the old lady behind you in line at the grocery store is going to want to hear about this?
"Sorry that you didn't find the cereal you were looking for but did you hear about GX?"

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #427 on: January 04, 2019, 02:01:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Even if the security guard was saying some nasty shit it seems clear, at least to me, that the retaliation went way over the line
[close]

I just rewatched the security footage and noticed something I missed. At 1:43 you see the guard near the skaters making a lunge / kick at them and attempting to grab them. If we are going by the time lime of the footage, this was the first act of violence. He is then pushed to the ground.

For most, this would be when the crew left. Unfortunately a skater then comes up and punches him while he is down / getting up.

Yes, the skaters should have left quicker and not gotten into an altercation / retaliated.

However, this video does prove they did not start the fight.
Old guy swinging his foot or shaking his fist is 100% irrelevant to the situation.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Chapingro

« Reply #428 on: January 04, 2019, 02:06:40 PM »
Expand Quote
You do realize your sources could also be extremely biased, making their opinion worthless right?
[close]

I do. I initially doubted them and probed them for more information. Once I saw this video I immediately reached out to them again and they stuck by their initial statement.

If they are lying to me, then that is a friendship ruined. I do not think that is their goal in this case.

Zoom out a little bit and think about what type of environment lead to the security guard initiating a physical confrontation. Whether he kicked or lunged or whatever "first" that wasn't really the "first" thing to happen. I guarantee these bros contributed to a hostile environment overall. Was Dan wrong to lunge/kick/whatever? Sure, of course. Does that matter? Hell fucking no. Nothing justifies what these fools did. If you're in a position to check these dudes on this and contribute toward their anxiety about and questioning of their actions, then fucking do it. Don't be a dick rider.

Chapingro

« Reply #429 on: January 04, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
"Sorry that you didn't find the cereal you were looking for but did you hear about GX?"

I already brought it up to my social worker when I was in line getting my EBT form updated and they were outraged. #smallvictories

Trickflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #430 on: January 04, 2019, 02:10:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Even if the security guard was saying some nasty shit it seems clear, at least to me, that the retaliation went way over the line
[close]

I just rewatched the security footage and noticed something I missed. At 1:43 you see the guard near the skaters making a lunge / kick at them and attempting to grab them. If we are going by the time lime of the footage, this was the first act of violence. He is then pushed to the ground.

For most, this would be when the crew left. Unfortunately a skater then comes up and punches him while he is down / getting up.

Yes, the skaters should have left quicker and not gotten into an altercation / retaliated.

However, this video does prove they did not start the fight.
[close]
Old guy swinging his foot or shaking his fist is 100% irrelevant to the situation.
I've never experienced a security at black rock being a dick. They all would give us last tries or even time to skate and turn their head the other way, which is why it was a hot spot, even during the week while it's lunch hour. No matter who did what first, security there have done so many favors for skaters and it's fucked that it got taken for granted like that

History Buff

• Rep: 3
  • Skateboard Shuffle
« Reply #431 on: January 04, 2019, 02:17:30 PM »
Kudos to Mackenzie for speaking out about it. I think it's ironic that Tony Vitello was just on the cover of the San Francisco Chronicle and showed up for the bail hearing for Jesse a couple weeks ago. In the video from the courthouse Tony sure did look to be avoiding that news camera. Maybe because he was listed as an executive producer for the last GX video.

Maybe he is avoiding news cameras because his father built a skateboard empire on drug money

PC Principal

« Reply #432 on: January 04, 2019, 02:23:49 PM »
Expand Quote
TKP again big difference between how real authority like police treat POC and some low wage earning security guard.

You are grasping for straws.
[close]

What? I'm confused. Police kill POC and get away with it. I'm going off of actual video evidence here. How is that grasping for straws?
Bro I couldn’t agree with you more... but describing non-caucasian people as people of color is ultimately rooted in white supremacy. The term POC is derived from the racist term colored people. Although the term POC is not technically racist or a microaggression, some minority groups might be offended. Check your privilege Bro.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #433 on: January 04, 2019, 02:41:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Maybe he is avoiding news cameras because his father built a skateboard empire on drug money

Drugs are awesome nobody cares

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #434 on: January 04, 2019, 03:15:12 PM »
The NBC video states that Jesse has video footage that would show he is not the instigator of the incident and it would be displayed in court on Friday (today). Did anyone go down to the court house to see what was shown in court today?

(This seems like it could have been an interesting story for a skate media publication to follow.)

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

billy.pepperidge

• Rep: -17
« Reply #435 on: January 04, 2019, 03:21:29 PM »
The NBC video states that Jesse has video footage that would show he is not the instigator of the incident and it would be displayed in court on Friday (today). Did anyone go down to the court house to see what was shown in court today?

(This seems like it could have been an interesting story for a skate media publication to follow.)
There must have been a 2nd skateboard smasher on the grassy knoll. The only way to exculpate Jesse is by pushing someone else in front of the bus.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #436 on: January 04, 2019, 03:28:57 PM »

After the whole Jason Jesse nonreporting debacle, it's painfully obvious that current skate media is solely focused on hero worship rather than publicizing a story that makes skaters look bad. Speaking out gets you blacklisted and ostracized.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #437 on: January 04, 2019, 04:06:58 PM »
This is terrible, I hate the fact a group of grown men that are skateboarders choose to gang up on a security guard double their age, doing his job.

Also in the video posted by the news they quickly showed 8 other skateboarders being looked for, I couldn't make anyone out but hopefully no other skaters that are part of GX

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
« Reply #438 on: January 04, 2019, 04:14:38 PM »
Brian Delatorre is suspect seven on the flyer. Which we've known for weeks now but no one is really talking about him.

Here Come The Lame Jets

billy.pepperidge

• Rep: -17
« Reply #439 on: January 04, 2019, 04:15:51 PM »
Brian Delatorre is suspect seven on the flyer. Which we've known for weeks now but no one is really talking about him.
He should hide out here, he'll be safe for sure.

OwlGreen

• Rep: -127
« Reply #440 on: January 04, 2019, 04:16:10 PM »

OwlGreen

• Rep: -127
« Reply #441 on: January 04, 2019, 04:19:30 PM »

GX machismo ruinin' fuckin' lives...  :o :o

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #442 on: January 04, 2019, 04:20:53 PM »
Expand Quote
TKP again big difference between how real authority like police treat POC and some low wage earning security guard.

[close]

What? I'm confused. Police kill POC and get away with it. I'm going off of actual video evidence here. How is that grasping for straws?

Sure minorities can be treated unfairly by the police but that doesn't make it okay for skaters to maim someone who is working a minimum wage job or anyone else for that matter grow the fuck up.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

whaaaaat

• Rep: 49
« Reply #443 on: January 04, 2019, 04:25:30 PM »
Damn, I haven't opened this thread since it started and have had "Roll Up" on repeat all the while.  What a bummer of a situation.  Definitely makes me not hyped on the GX stuff.  Count me among the people who've street skated (for 20 years, many of them in SF) and have never had to get physical with a security guard.  And I'm sure I've encountered every type - from the cool "hate to do this but it's my job" type to the rambo dude just dying to put some kid in a headlock.  But who the hell wants to get in a fight when you could just go skate another spot?  A bunch of lives ruined over a skateboard clip. 

Get the strap

« Reply #444 on: January 04, 2019, 04:30:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

After the whole Jason Jesse nonreporting debacle, it's painfully obvious that current skate media is solely focused on hero worship rather than publicizing a story that makes skaters look bad. Speaking out gets you blacklisted and ostracized.

Thats because skate media is selling a brand which is selling a lifestyle more or less. Can you imagine if the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, MLS manipulated all non amateur and non professionals athletes/participants to behave a certain way when they play basketball, throw a football, or kick a soccer ball? So why is skateboarding like that? I feel there is a big difference between skateboarding/skateboarder than the skate industry, especially nowadays. Back in the day not so much because the amount of skateboarding and skateboarders was comparable in size to the skate industry.

Now the skateboard industry is tiny compared to the amount of skaters and skateboarders, so it's really two different worlds, I think the current and new generation needs to recognize that...Support the industry but don't let them tell you how to ride your skateboard, thats up to you...On that note I think this incident can be linked in a weird way that there are too many and a growing number of participants in skating...as the populations grows it will bring in other shit, good and bad...So to attack a company or business for this behavior probably isn't the best thing to do, but voices from the skate industry being silent is not good...and back to mainstream sports those pro athletes, probably because they are paid so much aren't afraid to stand up to their industry and call them out either, or speak out about whats going on politically or globally. But our guys with millions of followers on social media, it's just posting another trick and selling a t shirt. I'm glad I got to skate when I did, the present and future look shitty. Hopefully this is a wake up call.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 04:33:09 PM by Get the strap »

jakedilla

• Rep: 12
« Reply #445 on: January 04, 2019, 05:56:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Bro I couldn’t agree with you more... but describing non-caucasian people as people of color is ultimately rooted in white supremacy. The term POC is derived from the racist term colored people. Although the term POC is not technically racist or a microaggression, some minority groups might be offended. Check your privilege Bro.

Straight up the worst account on slap, and that's coming from me, who has a pretty bad one.

PC Principal

« Reply #446 on: January 04, 2019, 06:06:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Straight up the worst account on slap, and that's coming from me, who has a pretty bad one.
You want to go bro?! Because I’ll go!? Btw I was looking at your picture and have you ever heard of cultural appropriation?

Sidewalk Funk.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #447 on: January 04, 2019, 06:18:44 PM »
I worked on the trauma floor of a hospital for a few months last year and many of my patients were there due to a recent traumatic brain injury (usually as a result of a motor vehicle accident or fall of some kind). These injuries are life changing not just for the person injured, but family members as well. Some people would give up everything (social life, hobbies, job) and go completely broke to take care of their loved one. It was super heartbreaking to see. 

Sounds like Mr. Jansen is making pretty good progress so far though. We use a 1-10 level scale (called the Rancho Los Amigos if you're interested) to measure brain function/activity during recovery from a brain injury and from what they said in the video it sounds like Jansen is around Level 5 now (out of 10 levels). Progression to the next Level 6 includes being able to recognize loved ones again, so hopefully that is not too far off in the future for him and his family.

The rate of recovery for brain function is fastest and most significant in the initial weeks/months after the brain injury. After that, the rate of recovery slows down significantly and improvements in ability to do "new" things are fewer and farther between. Unfortunately Mr. Jansen is pretty up there in age and his brain isn't as likely to adapt/fully recover as a person in their 40s or 30s that experienced the same injury, so the odds of a full recovery are already against him. Hopefully he is able to make it to a point where he is able to live on his own with only periodic help from a caregiver that checks in on him. Even in the best case scenario though, this injury significantly reduces his lifespan.

With all that said, screw these dudes so much. The entire situation was completely avoidable. Even if Jansen did throw the first punch and "start it", there was nothing keeping the GX guys there or requiring them to engage with him. They had several opportunities to skate away and diffuse the situation, such as when Jansen was first knocked to the ground. Instead they stuck around and continued to hit him while he was down, and then skated away leaving him knocked out without checking to make sure he wasn't critically injured and needing emergency assistance. That's cold man...

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #448 on: January 04, 2019, 06:43:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
You want to go bro?! Because I’ll go!? Btw I was looking at your picture and have you ever heard of cultural appropriation?
I’m backing PC Principal, not that he needs a spotter. He’s not the hero slap wants, but he’s the hero that slap needs.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #449 on: January 04, 2019, 06:46:23 PM »
GX5000