Author Topic: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock  (Read 371240 times)

Makaveli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
Re: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock
« Reply #450 on: January 04, 2019, 06:48:44 PM »
Expand Quote
I worked on the trauma floor of a hospital for a few months last year and many of my patients were there due to a recent traumatic brain injury (usually as a result of a motor vehicle accident or fall of some kind). These injuries are life changing not just for the person injured, but family members as well. Some people would give up everything (social life, hobbies, job) and go completely broke to take care of their loved one. It was super heartbreaking to see. 

Sounds like Mr. Jansen is making pretty good progress so far though. We use a 1-10 level scale (called the Rancho Los Amigos if you're interested) to measure brain function/activity during recovery from a brain injury and from what they said in the video it sounds like Jansen is around Level 5 now (out of 10 levels). Progression to the next Level 6 includes being able to recognize loved ones again, so hopefully that is not too far off in the future for him and his family.

The rate of recovery for brain function is fastest and most significant in the initial weeks/months after the brain injury. After that, the rate of recovery slows down significantly and improvements in ability to do "new" things are fewer and farther between. Unfortunately Mr. Jansen is pretty up there in age and his brain isn't as likely to adapt/fully recover as a person in their 40s or 30s that experienced the same injury, so the odds of a full recovery are already against him. Hopefully he is able to make it to a point where he is able to live on his own with only periodic help from a caregiver that checks in on him. Even in the best case scenario though, this injury significantly reduces his lifespan.

With all that said, screw these dudes so much. The entire situation was completely avoidable. Even if Jansen did throw the first punch and "start it", there was nothing keeping the GX guys there or requiring them to engage with him. They had several opportunities to skate away and diffuse the situation, such as when Jansen was first knocked to the ground. Instead they stuck around and continued to hit him while he was down, and then skated away leaving him knocked out without checking to make sure he wasn't critically injured and needing emergency assistance. That's cold man...
[close]

This is the part I find most disturbing and why I think every one of the skaters involved are pieces of shit who should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Then call SFPD and tell them suspect 2 is Ryan Garshell and suspect 7 is Brian Delatorre.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

billy.pepperidge

• Rep: -17
« Reply #451 on: January 04, 2019, 06:49:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
TKP again big difference between how real authority like police treat POC and some low wage earning security guard.

You are grasping for straws.
[close]

What? I'm confused. Police kill POC and get away with it. I'm going off of actual video evidence here. How is that grasping for straws?
[close]
Bro I couldn’t agree with you more... but describing non-caucasian people as people of color is ultimately rooted in white supremacy. The term POC is derived from the racist term colored people. Although the term POC is not technically racist or a microaggression, some minority groups might be offended. Check your privilege Bro.
[close]

Straight up the worst account on slap, and that's coming from me, who has a pretty bad one.
[close]
You want to go bro?! Because I’ll go!? Btw I was looking at your picture and have you ever heard of cultural appropriation?
[close]
I’m backing PC Principal, not that he needs a spotter. He’s not the hero slap wants, but he’s the hero that slap needs.
Amen to that. He is Slap's conscience and soul. As to walking away after knocking out the guard, maybe they called 911 but they most likely were unaware of the extent of his injuries. If they'd stuck around, likely all of them would be held without bail until they turned against the one with the longest record and testified against him for their freedom.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #452 on: January 04, 2019, 06:50:52 PM »
Expand Quote
I worked on the trauma floor of a hospital for a few months last year and many of my patients were there due to a recent traumatic brain injury (usually as a result of a motor vehicle accident or fall of some kind). These injuries are life changing not just for the person injured, but family members as well. Some people would give up everything (social life, hobbies, job) and go completely broke to take care of their loved one. It was super heartbreaking to see. 

Sounds like Mr. Jansen is making pretty good progress so far though. We use a 1-10 level scale (called the Rancho Los Amigos if you're interested) to measure brain function/activity during recovery from a brain injury and from what they said in the video it sounds like Jansen is around Level 5 now (out of 10 levels). Progression to the next Level 6 includes being able to recognize loved ones again, so hopefully that is not too far off in the future for him and his family.

The rate of recovery for brain function is fastest and most significant in the initial weeks/months after the brain injury. After that, the rate of recovery slows down significantly and improvements in ability to do "new" things are fewer and farther between. Unfortunately Mr. Jansen is pretty up there in age and his brain isn't as likely to adapt/fully recover as a person in their 40s or 30s that experienced the same injury, so the odds of a full recovery are already against him. Hopefully he is able to make it to a point where he is able to live on his own with only periodic help from a caregiver that checks in on him. Even in the best case scenario though, this injury significantly reduces his lifespan.

With all that said, screw these dudes so much. The entire situation was completely avoidable. Even if Jansen did throw the first punch and "start it", there was nothing keeping the GX guys there or requiring them to engage with him. They had several opportunities to skate away and diffuse the situation, such as when Jansen was first knocked to the ground. Instead they stuck around and continued to hit him while he was down, and then skated away leaving him knocked out without checking to make sure he wasn't critically injured and needing emergency assistance. That's cold man...
[close]

This is the part I find most disturbing and why I think every one of the skaters involved are pieces of shit who should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Well according to TKP he needs to see the other angle of the footage and more sides of the story before he makes his final decision regarding his "friends" who didn't start it.......He thinks its a bad situation all around but lets look at all the facts first you know because that's what everyone here cares about ....not the victim.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:38:39 PM by Monkey_Mcpott »

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #453 on: January 04, 2019, 06:58:00 PM »
https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Security-guard-left-with-brain-injury-after-fight-13509942.php?t=909d895844

But Doug Rappaport, Vieira’s defense attorney, said in court Friday that he has bombshell evidence that proves his client was defending himself in the incident.

High-definition video taken by a skateboarder from inside the fracas, he said, shows another man initially striking Jansen, who fell to the ground. Jansen then got up and started throwing punches at Vieira, Rappaport said.

That’s when Vieira defended himself, first swinging his skateboard toward Jansen before the two exchanged punches and Jansen fell to the ground unconscious, Rappaport said.

“Jesse was only defending himself here,” he said. “The security guard fell to the ground and hit his head. It’s tragic. It’s tragic for everybody. But for the second video, an innocent kid would be doing a lot of time.”

Judge Coffese, though, disagreed with Rappaport’s assessment, saying Vieira “chose to interact and assault the victim and then give a statement that he wasn’t involved.”

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #454 on: January 04, 2019, 07:18:30 PM »
https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Security-guard-left-with-brain-injury-after-fight-13509942.php?t=909d895844

Expand Quote
But Doug Rappaport, Vieira’s defense attorney, said in court Friday that he has bombshell evidence that proves his client was defending himself in the incident.

High-definition video taken by a skateboarder from inside the fracas, he said, shows another man initially striking Jansen, who fell to the ground. Jansen then got up and started throwing punches at Vieira, Rappaport said.

That’s when Vieira defended himself, first swinging his skateboard toward Jansen before the two exchanged punches and Jansen fell to the ground unconscious, Rappaport said.

“Jesse was only defending himself here,” he said. “The security guard fell to the ground and hit his head. It’s tragic. It’s tragic for everybody. But for the second video, an innocent kid would be doing a lot of time.”

Judge Coffese, though, disagreed with Rappaport’s assessment, saying Vieira “chose to interact and assault the victim and then give a statement that he wasn’t involved.”
[close]
So they were trespassing and told to leave, repeatedly removed the barricades, some dude who was skating there punched the guard, he got up trying to defend himself around 8 people hit the wrong dude, and the person who threw him to the ground isn't liable even though they chose to stick around and fuel the incident? That doesn't sound like a great defense.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #455 on: January 04, 2019, 07:53:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Then call SFPD and tell them suspect 2 is Ryan Garshell and suspect 7 is Brian Delatorre.

I'd assume SFPD probably figured out the identities of who they needed to by now, especially since dude's lawyer is talking about the footage from  Garshell's camera. Pro skaters and a filmer that are known around the world - there's no way they could remain anonymous.

labor

• Rep: -39
« Reply #456 on: January 04, 2019, 09:27:35 PM »
I've been skating for 25 years and have had run ins with security and cops. You leave and keep it moving.

People on this thread defending the actions of these adult children are pathetic. Despite your best attempts to create hypotheticals, it does not appear the judge agrees. Of course the defense attorney is going to say his client is innocent, but the judge does not appear to buy this.  The reality check all of the arm chair tough guys here need is that the court of law doesnt give two shits.

While we still need to process more information, and im willing to continue evaluating, its quite clear that there is literally no reason for this to happen. The idea that a 57 year old overweight man is a threat to a group of young men is a lie. That these fucking kids surrounded and fought a security guard who probably makes minimum wage is disgusting. And they chose to leave him their to die.

This took place in 2018. SF is a very safe city and most of these kids are not tough guy gangsters or probably even raised in the city. They were living an edgy fantasy. A guy whos shoes they probably think they are filling is James Kelch. Kelch had this to say on Mackenzie's post: "I hope they get attempted murder. Fuck them. Cowards."

Fighting poverty wage security guards over access to a spot is pathetic. Apparently, it is also a way to end up in the fucking joint for a long time. The legal system is not going to care if the grossly outnumbered security guard used bad words. These dudes days are numbered.

Trickflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #457 on: January 04, 2019, 09:36:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'd assume SFPD probably figured out the identities of who they needed to by now, especially since dude's lawyer is talking about the footage from  Garshell's camera. Pro skaters and a filmer that are known around the world - there's no way they could remain anonymous.
Any closer angle would show more of what happened in the situation and if RG filmed it then I'm sure the footage will prove who really attacked the security guard and who put him in the hospital. No matter what, someone is getting fucked even if the security attacked first
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 09:38:25 PM by Trickflip »

billy.pepperidge

• Rep: -17
« Reply #458 on: January 04, 2019, 09:36:57 PM »
I've been skating for 25 years and have had run ins with security and cops. You leave and keep it moving.

People on this thread defending the actions of these adult children are pathetic. Despite your best attempts to create hypotheticals, it does not appear the judge agrees. Of course the defense attorney is going to say his client is innocent, but the judge does not appear to buy this.  The reality check all of the arm chair tough guys here need is that the court of law doesnt give two shits.

While we still need to process more information, and im willing to continue evaluating, its quite clear that there is literally no reason for this to happen. The idea that a 57 year old overweight man is a threat to a group of young men is a lie. That these fucking kids surrounded and fought a security guard who probably makes minimum wage is disgusting. And they chose to leave him their to die.

This took place in 2018. SF is a very safe city and most of these kids are not tough guy gangsters or probably even raised in the city. They were living an edgy fantasy. A guy whos shoes they probably think they are filling is James Kelch. Kelch had this to say on Mackenzie's post: "I hope they get attempted murder. Fuck them. Cowards."

Fighting poverty wage security guards over access to a spot is pathetic. Apparently, it is also a way to end up in the fucking joint for a long time. The legal system is not going to care if the grossly outnumbered security guard used bad words. These dudes days are numbered.

Not justifying anyone's violence but that's rich from Kelch. Next what? Novak wishing overdoses on younger junkies?

labor

• Rep: -39
« Reply #459 on: January 04, 2019, 09:57:57 PM »
Sure. Or maybe Kelch didn’t beat up 57 year old security guards with the help 7 other people. Sure he fought, but I’ve heard he was much more the square up type. Fighting is bad. But gang beating an old man is a different level.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #460 on: January 04, 2019, 10:19:42 PM »
The media coverage hasn't missed an opportunity to label the attackers "skateboarders." Sure, they were skaters but after that's mentioned 3 or 4 times it becomes irrelevant.

cloudy

« Reply #461 on: January 04, 2019, 10:21:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not justifying anyone's violence but that's rich from Kelch. Next what? Novak wishing overdoses on younger junkies?

templeton saying "it's justified when a security guard assaults a skater"?

the security guard forum finally starting to chime in?

https://forums.securityinfowatch.com/forum/on-guard-security-guard-services-discussion/general-discussions-area/246932-skateboard-attack-leaves-san-francisco-security-guard-with-brain-damage

Trickflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #463 on: January 04, 2019, 10:36:34 PM »
That's such a heavy photo. No fucking skateboard trick is worth ruining someone's life. This makes me feel fucking ashamed for riding a wooden toy. God damn.

Bruh what? Just say fuck this kid or GX1000 and keep pushing. Unless you’re the type of fuckhead who acts like this you shouldn’t be saying you’re ashamed to skate.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #464 on: January 04, 2019, 10:45:57 PM »
Arguing/pleading with cops and security is part of the culture and will always be. This is a reminder that it’s not worth swinging on them no matter how much of an annoying dweeb they are.

SOTY 2018 and others take notice. Tyshawn is my favorite new skater after Ishod and he approached the line of fighting security in Blessed. Honestly if it wasn’t for this story I wouldn’t have gave af, but it’s not worth it, we need like a decade more TJ parts no court cases.

euro tm

« Reply #465 on: January 04, 2019, 10:56:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

templeton saying "it's justified when a security guard assaults a skater"?

https://forums.securityinfowatch.com/forum/on-guard-security-guard-services-discussion/general-discussions-area/246932-skateboard-attack-leaves-san-francisco-security-guard-with-brain-damage

i think you're taking ed's comment out of context. if you look at his previous comments in that post you'll grasp what he meant. i'm not justifying anything that happened in this situation but i've definitely had security guards get out of hand while my friends and i were being polite and leaving. it's happened to everyone (almost everyone) in this thread. i'm just glad a majority of us haven't used out board as a weapon. that's fucking insane to me. i've met jesse. he was a really nice kid so this comes as a huge shock to me. there's a lot of speculation and bullshit arguments coming out of this that shouldn't be mentioned. this man currently has half of a goddamn head. we as a community need to show some goddamn sympathy instead of arguing.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #466 on: January 04, 2019, 11:07:15 PM »
I haven’t read the whole thread, was the rest of the crew there mostly GX1000 or who were they?

Lord Viper Scorpion

« Reply #467 on: January 04, 2019, 11:11:43 PM »
what's really sad about this whole situation, is that this guy will never be the head of a major corporation

markerman666

• Rep: 0
« Reply #468 on: January 04, 2019, 11:33:54 PM »
I was reading up on this and it was Jesse Vieira from pizza who was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon 
What I can't figure out is why anyone would ride black wheels. Gross!

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #469 on: January 04, 2019, 11:36:26 PM »
The one person who hit him with the trucks is in the wrong and should pay for it.

This is not a GX issue, this is an isolated incident involving a guy affiliated with them who rides for pizza, he was fucked from the start.

Delatorre, RG did nothing wrong.
If they had called for help they probably would have been the first ones arrested. I Just don't think this should ruin GX, this could happen to any crew, just one person takes it to far.

I really hope he heals, it makes me super sad watching the video of him, the fact that he can't remember his family hits so hard.

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
« Reply #470 on: January 04, 2019, 11:45:52 PM »
I think GX is somewhat at fault too because you know damn well if the security guard wasn't injured and they all walked away from the scuffle (security included) GX would use the footage in their next video.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 12:06:10 AM by RIDEFLANNELV2 »

Here Come The Lame Jets

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #471 on: January 04, 2019, 11:52:23 PM »
Expand Quote
The one person who hit him with the trucks is in the wrong and should pay for it.

This is not a GX issue, this is an isolated incident involving a guy affiliated with them who rides for pizza, he was fucked from the start.

If they had called for help they probably would have been the first ones arrested. I Just don't think this should ruin GX, this could happen to any crew, just one person takes it to far.

I really hope he heals, it makes me super sad watching the video of him, the fact that he can't remember his family hits so hard.
[close]
Hey Daryl - watch the fucking video or read a little bit. No one hit him in the head with a truck.

Because my sig is making fun of Daryl "retiring" makes me him.
I watched the video and read, there were a lot of comments about him getting hit with a truck or a board, in the video you can see someone hitting him with something that isn't a fist.

Also you joined after the JJ issue, you didn't go through so many pages of Daryl being deleted for his abuse.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:54:14 PM by expired »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #472 on: January 05, 2019, 12:16:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Hey Daryl - watch the fucking video or read a little bit. No one hit him in the head with a truck.
[close]

Because my sig is making fun of Daryl "retiring" makes me him.
I watched the video and read, there were a lot of comments about him getting hit with a truck or a board, in the video you can see someone hitting him with something that isn't a fist.

Also you joined after the JJ issue, you didn't go through so many pages of Daryl being deleted for his abuse.
We've only seen a cut video of it. But, even Jesse's attorney admits a board was swung at the guy by Jesse and that it was him who threw him to the ground. The statement also seems to make it clear that it was another skateboarder and not the security guard who started the fight.

But Doug Rappaport, Vieira’s defense attorney, said in court Friday that he has evidence that proves his client was defending himself in the incident.

Video taken by a skateboarder from inside the fracas, he said, shows another man initially striking Jansen, who fell to the ground. Jansen then got up and started throwing punches at Vieira, Rappaport said.

Vieira defended himself, first swinging his skateboard toward Jansen before the two exchanged punches and Jansen fell to the ground unconscious, Rappaport said.

“The security guard fell to the ground and hit his head,” he said. “It’s tragic for everybody. But for the second video, an innocent kid would be doing a lot of time.”

As for the others, they left a dude critically injured. If you did nothing, then call a fucking ambulance. That's better than leaving right away because you can't deal with a day of being arrested til being cleared by security tapes.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 12:39:15 AM by DannyDee »

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #473 on: January 05, 2019, 12:38:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They left a guy for dead because they were afraid to get arrested. They are cowards.

DROP THEM OFF AT THE BERRICS AND LET CHASE GABOR AT THAT ASS WITH A SCREWDRIVER
where is home?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #474 on: January 05, 2019, 01:18:18 AM »

Well, this guy sure knows statistics!

On the topic as a whole:
This is 100% fucked. I know that resorting to violence in a heated situation can be way too easy, especially if you fail to think that the consequences might be really serious, like they are in this case. I'm pretty much always against violence and yet I've done it myself (edit: not towards a security guard but a crazy dude attacking me with a knife). That doesn't make it any more right. I'm saying it because I think it's something everyone should think about. No matter how peaceful you are in your mind.

Running away like cowards is definitely shameful too.

I personally never liked cops or security guards but the best solution is to just get the fuck out and not throw punches and then flee.

I hope a full recovery for the security guard and that the people responsible for doing this will pay for what they did. I hope skateboarding as a whole condemns all sort of violence glorification. All sort of confrontational in your face shit too. Sure you can tell a guard to fuck off if he's being a total fucking asshole while skating away but that's it. Everything above that is too much and not something our culture or the world needs at all.

edit 2: I would also like to see skateboarding as a community supporting this guy in his recovery. Probably easiest through donations. Making it clear as a group that this is not who we are and that we are very sorry some shitbags in our culture did this.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 01:27:03 AM by Roisto »

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #475 on: January 05, 2019, 01:43:02 AM »
Expand Quote
That's such a heavy photo. No fucking skateboard trick is worth ruining someone's life. This makes me feel fucking ashamed for riding a wooden toy. God damn.
[close]

Bruh what? Just say fuck this kid or GX1000 and keep pushing. Unless you’re the type of fuckhead who acts like this you shouldn’t be saying you’re ashamed to skate.

I know what you mean, but if you realize that they basically ruined this man's life for a skateboard trick....

Arguing and pleading is fine. Tyshawn got my vote.

Assaulting and nearly killing a man for doing his job is another story

she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #476 on: January 05, 2019, 02:01:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I know what you mean, but if you realize that they basically ruined this man's life for a skateboard trick....

Arguing and pleading is fine. Tyshawn got my vote.

Assaulting and nearly killing a man for doing his job is another story

Magnifying Tyshawn's behaviour is at fault too

it's just acting dumb (whatever it means) for a trick

blaming jesse is fine (he probably regrets not taking 5 sec to question the possible consequences of  hitting the guard)
but it only makes sense if you blame those who act similarly or show "violent" security altercations like it's part of skateboarding or like it's fun.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 02:12:34 AM by BALARGUE »

feedmeseymour

« Reply #477 on: January 05, 2019, 04:56:20 AM »
Damn "worried in sf" made an account just to post that too

I made an account a few weeks ago and still can’t figure out how to post on that forum. It’s set up so weird.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #478 on: January 05, 2019, 05:15:03 AM »

All of this is a certified hot take, but saying the dude who had first and last trick in their latest video isn't GX is my favorite stretch of logic in this post. As for saying Dela, RG did nothing wrong, that's debatable, but they definitely didn't do anything right in this scenario.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #479 on: January 05, 2019, 05:18:31 AM »
I wouldn’t have been surprised at all is Na-kal had been the one to do this.
Someone needs to have a real talk with that guy about how he treats people kicking him out of spots.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.