Author Topic: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock  (Read 371265 times)

stokedtrout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock
« Reply #570 on: January 06, 2019, 03:43:08 PM »
Expand Quote
The GX vid was a banger--best vid of the year IMHO. But I can't help but think the popularity of the vid emboldened them to escalate shit. It would have been nice if skateboarding collectively would have called out the fucking with security/homeowners. There were some posts here and there calling it out skateboarding as a whole as embraced the fuck yeah hellride 1-8. Those foos are in for a hell ride no doubt.
[close]

With you on this, a bunch of posters in this thread were hailing the video as a pure representation of skateboarding and saying how great it was that a video like this came out in 2018 but there's a lot of bullshit in there that rubbed me the wrong way - knocking over that security guard on the bs lipslide is fucked.

It was a game of chicken where no one backed down, and the security guard came off second best. There's nothing fucked about it.

geturfaxstraight

« Reply #571 on: January 06, 2019, 03:43:48 PM »
Maybe instead of sitting on your technology and gossiping you people should instead use your brainpower to realize you're being spoon fed information through what you read online and see in the news. Seriously, everyone here is talking like they are certain of what happened and are so quick to boycott a group of people and spread negativity. All the information you're working off of is what is being debated in the court room, how the news interprets it into an "interesting" story, and peoples reactions from those news stories, and so on and so forth.  No one here knows what actually happened.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #572 on: January 06, 2019, 03:45:56 PM »
Expand Quote
The GX vid was a banger--best vid of the year IMHO. But I can't help but think the popularity of the vid emboldened them to escalate shit. It would have been nice if skateboarding collectively would have called out the fucking with security/homeowners. There were some posts here and there calling it out skateboarding as a whole as embraced the fuck yeah hellride 1-8. Those foos are in for a hell ride no doubt.
[close]

With you on this, a bunch of posters in this thread were hailing the video as a pure representation of skateboarding and saying how great it was that a video like this came out in 2018 but there's a lot of bullshit in there that rubbed me the wrong way - knocking over that security guard on the bs lipslide is fucked.
What else rubbed you the wrong way? I don't think there's a lot in there in terms of being dicks to people compared to a lot of their others. I think the security guard was more at fault with that back lip though. Not very smart to stand in front a skater going fast on some stairs when he clearly can't/won't slow down.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #573 on: January 06, 2019, 03:52:29 PM »
Maybe instead of sitting on your technology and gossiping you people should instead use your brainpower to realize you're being spoon fed information through what you read online and see in the news. Seriously, everyone here is talking like they are certain of what happened and are so quick to boycott a group of people and spread negativity. All the information you're working off of is what is being debated in the court room, how the news interprets it into an "interesting" story, and peoples reactions from those news stories, and so on and so forth.  No one here knows what actually happened.

Ah, the "Wake up, sheeple!" guy has logged on.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

MKULTRA

• Rep: -18
« Reply #574 on: January 06, 2019, 04:12:31 PM »

thebaggy

• Rep: -14
« Reply #575 on: January 06, 2019, 04:24:56 PM »
      I've skated everyday for the past 16 years of my life. I've ran a security company for the past 3. I've experienced both sides of the conflict therein. What I've never done is subscribed to jock mentality, been a bully, or participated in gang violence; therefore I willl never understand what it meant to have acted the way these skateboarders did. 

I find it sad that skateboarding as a culture is becoming the very thing that we distanced ourselves from in the first place: That is, a culture of ignorance. Our Identity as simply "those who ride skateboards" is often subjugated by the peripheral influences of violence, narcissism, and fantasy that the media propagates throughout the mainstream. We ought to remain autonomous. Fuck the berrics. Thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

Rotate your wheels regularly.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #576 on: January 06, 2019, 04:31:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It was a game of chicken where no one backed down, and the security guard came off second best. There's nothing fucked about it.

This. I’ve seen multiple comments about that one. Dude was mid way through a lengthy backside lipslide, not exactly the easiest trick to begin with cause of the blind spot. I can’t fault dude for running into her. That was clearly a case of the guard getting a little to psyched and the kid being focused on the trick and not much else.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #577 on: January 06, 2019, 04:32:21 PM »

There's a fucking video of what happened you idiot.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Skateboard-Attack-Leaves-San-Francisco-Security-Guard-With-Brain-Damage-503888341.html

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -16
« Reply #578 on: January 06, 2019, 04:57:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
What else rubbed you the wrong way? I don't think there's a lot in there in terms of being dicks to people compared to a lot of their others. I think the security guard was more at fault with that back lip though. Not very smart to stand in front a skater going fast on some stairs when he clearly can't/won't slow down.
She's clearly stood on the steps as he's rolling up, he had plenty of time to stop before popping onto the steps. She had time to jump out of the way too I guess but doesn't look as mobile as him. It's not as bad as their previous videos but just filming homeless people and giving that guy weed was wack.
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #579 on: January 06, 2019, 05:04:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
She's clearly stood on the steps as he's rolling up, he had plenty of time to stop before popping onto the steps. She had time to jump out of the way too I guess but doesn't look as mobile as him. It's not as bad as their previous videos but just filming homeless people and giving that guy weed was wack.
Yeah fuck giving people free weed

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #580 on: January 06, 2019, 05:08:19 PM »
Filming homeless people is played out as fuck and pretty exploitative.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #581 on: January 06, 2019, 05:16:34 PM »
the video:

I see an altercation (not clear who started it)

security guard falls/gets pushed down 1st time

he gets back up and rushes the skateboarders

then he gets pushed/ hit/ falls down 2nd time and appears to hit his head, stops moving

anybody see anything different?

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
« Reply #582 on: January 06, 2019, 05:18:30 PM »
Hate to say it but skateboarding needs to consider a code of ethics. I think it's possible if we held individuals accountable. Magazine editors, photographers, and filmers need to agree on what's okay and what isn't crossing the line....Eventually it would trickle down to everyone.

I know skateboarding "has no rules" but it does. What's wrong with adopting a certain amount of rules like climbers and hikers have adopted?

Seriously, as a community we all know we are better than this. 

Here Come The Lame Jets

anontechnician

• Rep: -9
« Reply #583 on: January 06, 2019, 05:24:21 PM »

Hard to let this one go, don’t see a problem with filming street

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #584 on: January 06, 2019, 05:33:39 PM »

What? While filming street people certainly has the *potential* to be exploitative, it is not inherently so. Skateboarding is a street activity and is intertwined with street culture, of which homeless populations are a huge part of. Pretty much every time I skate in an urban environment I interact with street dwellers...it’s just documenting your environment. Christ, Ocean Howell basically wrote his fucking dissertation on the subject.

In fact I would say most of the time skate videos actually function as one of the only mediums in which homeless populations are provided with any visibility whatsoever. You’re talking about basically the most vulnerable and neglected populations which most people don’t even acknowledge as human, whereas skaters constantly talk, share with, and hang out with them on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:36:41 PM by mattchew »
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #585 on: January 06, 2019, 05:36:28 PM »
Hate to say it but skateboarding needs to consider a code of ethics. I think it's possible if we held individuals accountable. Magazine editors, photographers, and filmers need to agree on what's okay and what isn't crossing the line....Eventually it would trickle down to everyone.

I know skateboarding "has no rules" but it does. What's wrong with adopting a certain amount of rules like climbers and hikers have adopted?

You see we have this for humanity in general. Almost every single person should/would look down on what these dudes did.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

hamisonrye

• Rep: -17
« Reply #586 on: January 06, 2019, 05:37:46 PM »
the video:

then he gets pushed/ hit/ falls down 2nd time and appears to hit his head, stops moving

I re-watched it today and that's what I see as well.  Well he got punched the first time he fell, maybe trying to get back up?  Otherwise yeah.  He got up rushed em, got hit, fell and hit head and that's what effed him up was the concrete. 

I have seen much worse beatdowns at punk shows in the 80's, I think the issue is he hit his head on the concrete. 

Some FSU dude knocked someone out with one punch, guy fell hit head on concrete and FSU dude got convicted of murder.  If I remember correctly that is. 

RIDEFLANNELV2

« Reply #587 on: January 06, 2019, 05:49:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You see we have this for humanity in general. Almost every single person should/would look down on what these dudes did.

No doubt. I agree with you 100% anyone with a moral compass would agree. I'm suggesting a conversation as to what is and isn't okay regarding street skateboarding. Some climbers don't believe in using bolts, do we believe in cutting off knobs or kinks?, interacting with security guards?. Most climbers wouldn't take a route if it was detrimental to the surrounding (public) land, as skateboarders should we take a destructive route on private (at least after we have gotten asked to leave) property. When is it okay to bondo a crack, cut a kink, etc.?

I think we need to recognize for better or for worse we belong to a larger community.

Here Come The Lame Jets

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #588 on: January 06, 2019, 06:09:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What? While filming street people certainly has the *potential* to be exploitative, it is not inherently so. Skateboarding is a street activity and is intertwined with street culture, of which homeless populations are a huge part of. Pretty much every time I skate in an urban environment I interact with street dwellers...it’s just documenting your environment. Christ, Ocean Howell basically wrote his fucking dissertation on the subject.

In fact I would say most of the time skate videos actually function as one of the only mediums in which homeless populations are provided with any visibility whatsoever. You’re talking about basically the most vulnerable and neglected populations which most people don’t even acknowledge as human, whereas skaters constantly talk, share with, and hang out with them on a regular basis.
What are you talking about? I didn't say anything against interacting, talking with, or sharing space with homeless people. That's obviously a part of street skateboarding - shit, that's a part of living in any metropolitan environment. However, filming them playing a very particular role (and don't kid yourself, it's always a certain role, and it doesn't do a good job at humanizing them) and putting them in your video without their consent to show how "rough" or "street" your environment is a weak move (not to mention a trite skate video cliche). Huge difference.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

rapscallion

• Rep: -3
« Reply #589 on: January 06, 2019, 06:11:27 PM »
No doubt. I agree with you 100% anyone with a moral compass would agree. I'm suggesting a conversation as to what is and isn't okay regarding street skateboarding. Some climbers don't believe in using bolts, do we believe in cutting off knobs or kinks?, interacting with security guards?. Most climbers wouldn't take a route if it was detrimental to the surrounding (public) land, as skateboarders should we take a destructive route on private (at least after we have gotten asked to leave) property. When is it okay to bondo a crack, cut a kink, etc.?

I think we need to recognize for better or for worse we belong to a larger community.
I don't know what your big moral dilemma is here but personal injury and property damage aren't even in the same ballpark. You want magazines to blackball skaters for using bondo on a crack?

Let's just not injure or kill anybody and leave it at that... if someone cuts your rail that you own then you can take them to small claims court.

BehindTheLens

• Rep: 0
« Reply #590 on: January 06, 2019, 06:12:35 PM »
This whole situation is fucked and what really bothers me is how they all ran off so quick after bashing this dudes head in. I filmed the surveillance on my phone in slow mo from my computer and watched it frame by frame. A few things I noticed.

1.) It does look like the security guard lunges/takes a kick first but we also don't have much footage before that moment.

2.) Someone clearly takes a shot at his head with a punch when he is down on the ground that first time.

3.) He gets back up and looks to approach the group of skaters again which is dumb, but I get it after someone took a shot at his dome. He's probably not thinking to straight at this point (fight or flight).

4.) The video gets really hard to depict here due to everyone standing so close together, but its pretty clear at some point a skateboard comes flying in pretty quick by the security guards head. Whether it hit him or not is impossible to tell, but it seems likely.

5.) He falls straight back and hits his head on the concrete, but it's pretty much impossible to tell if it was the skateboard or fall that caused the traumatic injury.

If I have time I will edit some footage together with frame by frame shots this week. But as I see it right now these guys can go fuck themselves and deserve to do some time.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #591 on: January 06, 2019, 06:13:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think most people know when you alter a spot like that, you're opening yourself up to legal problems and stuff. The conversation is always going to end with 'if you're down to go cut the kink/knob off, bondo something, etc., go for it but be careful.' Obviously I've done some of these things and sleep well at night knowing most people wouldn't even notice as it doesn't effect the quality of life of anyone using the rail/ledge/stairs/ground etc... obviously within reason, don't burn a building down so you can build a slab spot on it. Don't leave a security guard lying motionless directly due to your actions - and try not to set events in motion that can cause that to go down.

These guys know better. Just leave and come back, don't even let the security talk to you. Just fucking dip and come back the next day.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Trickflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #592 on: January 06, 2019, 06:22:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There's a fucking video of what happened you idiot.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Skateboard-Attack-Leaves-San-Francisco-Security-Guard-With-Brain-Damage-503888341.html
Geturfaxstraight  doesn't even havehisfaxstraight

RIDEFLANNELV2

« Reply #593 on: January 06, 2019, 06:31:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I don't know what your big moral dilemma is here but personal injury and property damage aren't even in the same ballpark. You want magazines to blackball skaters for using bondo on a crack?

Let's just not injure or kill anybody and leave it at that... if someone cuts your rail that you own then you can take them to small claims court.

Maybe? Climbers and through hikers do hold other participants to strict regulations regarding their efforts. Don't pick up your trash, plant a bolt, etc...doesn't count. There is something to be said about NOT modifying a spot to make it "easier".  Not injuring or killing anyone should go without question.

Here Come The Lame Jets

rapscallion

• Rep: -3
« Reply #594 on: January 06, 2019, 06:49:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Maybe? Climbers and through hikers do hold other participants to strict regulations regarding their efforts. Don't pick up your trash, plant a bolt, etc...doesn't count. There is something to be said about NOT modifying a spot to make it "easier".  Not injuring or killing anyone should go without question.
Are you for real? How can hiking or climbing not "count"?

However I fully agree, there is certainly something to be said about pushing through the cracks and crust and getting a trick anyways. I would just add that kinks and bondo are only a small piece of the puzzle when doing something worth the modification in the first place

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #595 on: January 06, 2019, 06:58:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
What are you talking about? I didn't say anything against interacting, talking with, or sharing space with homeless people. That's obviously a part of street skateboarding - shit, that's a part of living in any metropolitan environment. However, filming them playing a very particular role (and don't kid yourself, it's always a certain role, and it doesn't do a good job at humanizing them) and putting them in your video without their consent to show how "rough" or "street" your environment is a weak move (not to mention a trite skate video cliche). Huge difference.

Glad you agree all of those things are a part of street skating. If you’re a good filmer, you’re recording all of them and using them in your edits because they are a part of the story and experience. It’s not hard to do and many people do it well.

I can list off more than a dozen examples of skate videos, multiple by GX even*, in which homeless people are in no way shape or form exploited and are rather portrayed positively and integral to the video itself. You’re a good poster and skate nerd, I’m sure you can think of more than I can.

You made a blanket statement and it’s simply not true. Context is absolutely everything.

*(for the record GX also uses them in exploitative manners as well, volleys being the worst)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:01:50 PM by mattchew »
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Get the strap

« Reply #596 on: January 06, 2019, 07:05:04 PM »
Expand Quote
the video:

[close]

I re-watched it today and that's what I see as well.  Well he got punched the first time he fell, maybe trying to get back up?  Otherwise yeah.  He got up rushed em, got hit, fell and hit head and that's what effed him up was the concrete. 

I have seen much worse beatdowns at punk shows in the 80's, I think the issue is he hit his head on the concrete. 

Some FSU dude knocked someone out with one punch, guy fell hit head on concrete and FSU dude got convicted of murder.  If I remember correctly that is.

Maybe someone should take still frames of the skateboard being violently flung towards the right side of his head where moments later he falls backwards and doesn't try to break his fall or move because he's out cold before he falls down. Notice how the picture after his surgery it was the right side of his brain and skull that were removed which is the direction the board was coming towards. The dude with khakis, and a black hoody with a white t shirt hanging below the hoodie ran towards the scuffle with his board, punched him on the ground, swung his board at his head, and then punched him one more time before he fell over and his crew was holding him back.

I've been googling on the subject of head and brain injury and a Traumatic Brain Injury can be caused by a fall, but I'm not buying it based off of the victim's injury that it was only caused by falling back and hitting his head. I think it was a combination of punches, the board, and falling backwards. Falling abruptly and hitting your head happens to people everyday, just think of people slipping on ice. They don't have to be rushed to the hospital, induced into a coma, and have their skull removed to remove parts of their brain. Instead they have a bump on the head and a concussion, usually. I actually completely forgot I slipped and fell on my head onto concrete when I was maybe 5 and I just threw up everywhere and had a concussion. I'm sure there are other posters on here that have also hit their head and ended up being completely fine.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:08:20 PM by Get the strap »

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #597 on: January 06, 2019, 07:08:30 PM »
TBI1000
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

Salad farmer

• Rep: 21
« Reply #598 on: January 06, 2019, 07:12:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I agree with heckler. I can't remember any clips of street people where it is integral to any story or anything like that. It is always a cheap laugh or some fake look how wild it is out here in the streets. It might not be intentionally exploitative or anything but it's almost always lame.

hamisonrye

• Rep: -17
« Reply #599 on: January 06, 2019, 07:12:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the video:

[close]

[close]

Maybe someone should take still frames of the skateboard being violently flung towards the right side of his head where moments later he falls backwards and doesn't try to break his fall or move because he's out cold before he falls down. Notice how the picture after his surgery it was the right side of his brain and skull that were removed which is the direction the board was coming towards. The dude with khakis, and a black hoody with a white t shirt hanging below the hoodie ran towards the scuffle with his board, punched him on the ground, swung his board at his head, and then punched him one more time before he fell over and his crew was holding him back.

I've been googling on the subject of head and brain injury and a Traumatic Brain Injury can be caused by a fall, but I'm not buying it based off of the victim's injury that it was only caused by falling back and hitting his head. I think it was a combination of punches, the board, and falling backwards. Falling abruptly and hitting your head happens to people everyday, just think of people slipping on ice. They don't have to be rushed to the hospital, induced into a coma, and have their skull removed to remove parts of their brain. Instead they have a bump on the head and a concussion, usually. I actually completely forgot I slipped and fell on my head onto concrete when I was maybe 5 and I just threw up everywhere and had a concussion. I'm sure there are other posters on here that have also hit their head and ended up being completely fine.

That would be helpful for my blind ass to see that part. 

On the other stuff, you can definitely die from slamming your head on concrete, we are all built different and different angles and etc. 

6 feet = 13 mph for example.