Author Topic: 917 blowing it  (Read 31153 times)

thogiwan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: 917 blowing it
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2018, 10:18:41 AM »
All I know that Aaron Loreth guy is the best.
THIS

ManMelt

« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2018, 02:32:57 PM »
Vincent will turn pro. They should just say fuck it, and turn the whole team pro, just like FA did. Why even have ams anymore, skill is irrelevant in 2018, it’s all about who’s hot. They just bumped-up that Spanish dude Pedro, he rips, give him a board. Aaron Loreth rips, give him a board. You get a board, and you get a board, and you get a board....

t3lm_0G

• Rep: -2
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2020, 03:44:09 PM »
I still can't believe Aidan Mackey left less than a year after opening the first 917 video. That part (with an absolutely stunning execution of music supervision via Rundgren's "I Saw the Light") played a big part in how good that video was. Easily one of the best releases of the later half of this decade.

I mean its not surprising considering his friendship with the FA guys but I don't get why he just didn't go with them from the get-go. Maybe he had to prove himself? Idk

I heard in an interview with olson he had beef with the filmer (which I thought was Jhonny or Logan who are good friends of him) anyone knows?

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2020, 05:13:43 PM »
^ heard from an LA homie who knows him that he didn't like being marketed as like an insane drunk
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2020, 06:03:29 PM »
he didn't like being marketed as like an insane drunk

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2020, 06:41:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

for me, he came across more like a drunk brat

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2020, 09:16:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Weird cos in Candyland he looks like a mess drinking a giant beer at the spot and the wind knocks his hat off. It's very funny.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2020, 09:27:54 AM »
^ heard from an LA homie who knows him that he didn't like being marketed as like an insane drunk

sounds the same as Twuan getting mad at O'Dell for portraying him as a mess in his epicly later'd, even though that was all Twuan's actions speaking for him

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2020, 10:18:03 AM »

Didn't Alex speak on this at some point? I have a vague memory of him saying something along those lines on video, that Aidan was bummed on his first graphic and that 917 portrayed him like a wild child drunk basically.

Edit: 51:30ish in here:

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2020, 11:16:26 AM »
mackey sure seems like a rich spoiled teenager to me

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -423
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2020, 12:31:25 PM »
Aiden Mackey is seriously lame idk how anyone enjoys his footage.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2020, 12:37:21 PM »
He doesn’t have much trouble giving off that image all on his own.

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2020, 01:47:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
He doesn’t have much trouble giving off that image all on his own.

For someone who can't skate for shit he sure takes himself very seriously.

Little Debbie

« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2020, 01:56:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Didn't Alex speak on this at some point? I have a vague memory of him saying something along those lines on video, that Aidan was bummed on his first graphic and that 917 portrayed him like a wild child drunk basically.

Edit: 51:30ish in here:

i had started that interview but had given up before getting to that point. sounds like there was some resentment from Aidan towards Logan, who I assume filmed most of his footage and edited that first promo. i remember the first time watching it thinking "what is the obsession with him?". then the pro graphic that Olson did for him bummed him out even more. but Olson also says somewhere, i think 9 club, that no one really got to see their parts before that video dropped. Logan just edited it himself despite Alex wanting to be involved.

Safariferrari

• Rep: 42
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2020, 03:04:38 PM »
i had started that interview but had given up before getting to that point. sounds like there was some resentment from Aidan towards Logan, who I assume filmed most of his footage and edited that first promo. i remember the first time watching it thinking "what is the obsession with him?". then the pro graphic that Olson did for him bummed him out even more. but Olson also says somewhere, i think 9 club, that no one really got to see their parts before that video dropped. Logan just edited it himself despite Alex wanting to be involved.

I wonder if thats maybe also why Touzery and Nik Stain left. I can't help but feel that their parts would have been put together much better by Johnny Wilson instead of Logan.

suckmadeck

• Rep: 28
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2020, 03:13:55 PM »
Logan seems like that kinda dude who got an Xtreme fisheye for his HPX, knew a few mother fuckers who got picked up by 917 and immediately was like "making you a video". Aidan is a fucking kook who took his shit way to seriously. If he doesn't wanna look like that, maybe stop binge drinking at the fucking spot. Jesus Christ.

Logan probably lurks here and I'm sure Aidan has one of his fake Warner Ave friends lurk on here too so if that is the case: Aidan, pace yourself mate, and it's not like that promo was the ONLY video 917 was gonna put out. And besides, you dipped over to FA. Fair enough. But why didn't you talk to Alex about the graphic AND the video for fuck sakes. You're an adult right?

I honestly think some of the new gen pros are fucking autistic (not to say the older pros are immune to this idiocy)

kook1234

• Rep: 128
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2020, 04:03:45 PM »
Aidan's first graphic was so sick. Surprised he could be bummed that his first pro board is an homage to Donny Barley. I definitely see how he wouldn't like his "image" but the onus is on him to change that. You're marketed based on what people know about you, and if that's being a new age Piss Drunk then stop acting like a new age Piss Drunk.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2020, 05:39:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

sounds the same as Twuan getting mad at O'Dell for portraying him as a mess in his epicly later'd, even though that was all Twuan's actions speaking for him

Jesus Christ. It's fucking 2020 and people still getting this twisted up. Dell knew that Twuan had his demons and wanted to make his doc spicy so he brought Twuan to bars and places that he knew would bring out the worst in him. He was full aware of what he was doing and it's honestly fucked up if you know someone has addiction problems and then go exploiting that shit for your own personal gain which is exactly what happened.

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -423
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2020, 06:45:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Jesus Christ. It's fucking 2020 and people still getting this twisted up. Dell knew that Twuan had his demons and wanted to make his doc spicy so he brought Twuan to bars and places that he knew would bring out the worst in him. He was full aware of what he was doing and it's honestly fucked up if you know someone has addiction problems and then go exploiting that shit for your own personal gain which is exactly what happened.

How do you know for sure that's what happened?

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2020, 07:56:04 PM »
"Logan's video" never coming out was a running joke on Skate Wise, ao's old podcast in like 2014. It wasn't clear that it was going to be the 917 video until he put out that janky sean/sage thing in 2016.
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2020, 08:21:54 PM »
the first 917 was one of the best videos in the past decade. johnny wilsons great too but i never heard anyone say negative shit about logan lara before.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2020, 09:57:57 PM »
the first 917 was one of the best videos in the past decade. johnny wilsons great too but i never heard anyone say negative shit about logan lara before.

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2020, 10:14:01 PM »
They just better not lose Max, seen a few pics of him riding a Baker board recently which is fine, probably just a homies board, shit I'm riding a baker currently, but I don't think that would fit right at all.
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2020, 11:57:27 PM »
Aidan's first graphic was so sick. Surprised he could be bummed that his first pro board is an homage to Donny Barley. I definitely see how he wouldn't like his "image" but the onus is on him to change that. You're marketed based on what people know about you, and if that's being a new age Piss Drunk then stop acting like a new age Piss Drunk.

Always thought his first graphic would be Mackey done in the Dookie album cover font.  Loved the Barley homage.  Have it and Vincent’s first one on the wall

disintegration

• Rep: -114
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2020, 03:23:26 AM »
I dunno what everyone is getting upset about. It's pretty normal to have some beers on a session. It doesn't mean it's binge drinking or that you're an alcoholic.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2020, 04:43:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Always thought his first graphic would be Mackey done in the Dookie album cover font.  Loved the Barley homage.  Have it and Vincent’s first one on the wall

If the Vincent graphic is the one with weird spaceship looking thing on it, then shiit im jealous. Massively regret not getting at the time, it's clean af

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2020, 08:44:23 AM »
917 = ultra whack

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2020, 09:18:30 AM »
917 = ultra whack

While I most certainly do approve of your ability to stay in character with the spelling, I cannot agree with your sentiment.

917, great.

I’d like to see it go on, but I think one of the failings of the skateboard industry is to keep throwing good after bad. Sometimes there are these great moments, people/crews come together, document their scene, lovely. Trying to artificially recreate that for the next 10 years is just....less good. Maybe companies should really only last 5 to maybe 10 years. Maybe some go beyond that, but that should be the exception imo. Freshen it up

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2020, 04:27:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's a nice theory but Twaun's EL is basically him in his own backyard, a hotel room with Ellington and B Herm and then an appearance at a skate event. I'm a big fan but his struggles with his demons were his own thing.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2020, 04:31:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

probably too afraid to.