Author Topic: 917 blowing it  (Read 31136 times)

Bitchardo Scantron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -92
Re: 917 blowing it
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2020, 05:45:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^ heard from an LA homie who knows him that he didn't like being marketed as like an insane drunk
[close]

sounds the same as Twuan getting mad at O'Dell for portraying him as a mess in his epicly later'd, even though that was all Twuan's actions speaking for him
[close]

Jesus Christ. It's fucking 2020 and people still getting this twisted up. Dell knew that Twuan had his demons and wanted to make his doc spicy so he brought Twuan to bars and places that he knew would bring out the worst in him. He was full aware of what he was doing and it's honestly fucked up if you know someone has addiction problems and then go exploiting that shit for your own personal gain which is exactly what happened.
[close]
That's a nice theory but Twaun's EL is basically him in his own backyard, a hotel room with Ellington and B Herm and then an appearance at a skate event. I'm a big fan but his struggles with his demons were his own thing.

O’Dell talked about this exact thing on Skate Talk Live. I think in the beginning of Lenoce’s episode

Little Debbie

« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2020, 10:48:51 AM »
Logan seems like that kinda dude who got an Xtreme fisheye for his HPX, knew a few mother fuckers who got picked up by 917 and immediately was like "making you a video". Aidan is a fucking kook who took his shit way to seriously. If he doesn't wanna look like that, maybe stop binge drinking at the fucking spot. Jesus Christ.

AO had some existing relationship with Logan, maybe through Supreme? and he wanted to do a company with him specifically. i'm still not clear on how both of them moved to NY and met Johnny and his crew. i've always thought that Jesse and Chris were probably part of that process. key parts of the old Welcome team really set the tone for what 917 would be

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2020, 10:52:46 PM »
AO mocked up a Fucking Awesome Talent Scout business card in his IG stories.  He wins

switchmongojazzpush

• Rep: -2
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2020, 05:42:32 AM »
They just better not lose Max, seen a few pics of him riding a Baker board recently which is fine, probably just a homies board, shit I'm riding a baker currently, but I don't think that would fit right at all.

Yeah, I think 917 even posted a photo of Max holding a Baker board - definitely nothing to it.

thefriscokid

• Rep: 6
« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2020, 06:57:34 AM »
I love 917, Alex went out on a limb and made a conceptual skate company , at least more so of a concept compared to Numbers or most teams

I dont really know the inner workings of their staff but it seems to me AO is struggling wearing too many hats in his role as owner, TM, team rider, graphics department, probably does help w sales and who know what else even though Robin Fleming was working w him it seems like his team is smaller
He does a good job keeping it afloat but hes spread too thin compared to Dill who seemingly sits in his house and works on his art career to keep emulating Dash , hands over the graphic to Benny or someone else and they translate it into a board graphic
Kinda like Gonz and Tommy G, gonz cant run a company and neither could Dill so he assembled a good team to help

With two consecutive good videos AO knows what hes doing, he just needs a helping hand   

Also Irony is not a good theme for a graphics department, i agree all that fake retro shit has grown tired quickly
two times

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2020, 06:59:45 AM »
I dunno what everyone is getting upset about. It's pretty normal to have some beers on a session. It doesn't mean it's binge drinking or that you're an alcoholic.
In the 917 video the first one he pulls out a flask and downs what’s in it. I’m cool with beer but whiskey/liquor at the spot? Does skating on its own bring any fun to him?

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2020, 07:17:56 AM »
I love 917, Alex went out on a limb and made a conceptual skate company , at least more so of a concept compared to Numbers or most teams

I dont really know the inner workings of their staff but it seems to me AO is struggling wearing too many hats in his role as owner, TM, team rider, graphics department, probably does help w sales and who know what else even though Robin Fleming was working w him it seems like his team is smaller
He does a good job keeping it afloat but hes spread too thin compared to Dill who seemingly sits in his house and works on his art career to keep emulating Dash , hands over the graphic to Benny or someone else and they translate it into a board graphic
Kinda like Gonz and Tommy G, gonz cant run a company and neither could Dill so he assembled a good team to help

With two consecutive good videos AO knows what hes doing, he just needs a helping hand   

Also Irony is not a good theme for a graphics department, i agree all that fake retro shit has grown tired quickly

Not sure how you can paint AO as some guy with this huge work ethic more so than Dill, while Dill clearly puts in a lot of work with FA. Before Covid, he was working and greeting everyone who would come into the shop. I don't think anybody bar him does the graphics for FA, Dill is all about control, so I'm sure he see's through the whole process from when he first find's something to cut out and paste to when the boards first come in. Alex has said numerous times he doesn't really care about the graphics. The last few drops have had Cyrus' artwork and he didn't really have anything to do with both 917 videos, he also isn't the TM. Not even close to being a suitable comparison.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2020, 08:03:06 AM »
The big difference is that Dill has used his connection with his "friends in higher places", also thank fuck he's not paying another weirdo like him to do shitty collages and yearbook boards.

The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2020, 09:12:37 AM »
The big difference is that Dill has used his connection with his "friends in higher places", also thank fuck he's not paying another weirdo like him to do shitty collages and yearbook boards.

but he does, weirdo dave.

thefriscokid

« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2020, 09:24:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not sure how you can paint AO as some guy with this huge work ethic more so than Dill, while Dill clearly puts in a lot of work with FA. Before Covid, he was working and greeting everyone who would come into the shop. I don't think anybody bar him does the graphics for FA, Dill is all about control, so I'm sure he see's through the whole process from when he first find's something to cut out and paste to when the boards first come in. Alex has said numerous times he doesn't really care about the graphics. The last few drops have had Cyrus' artwork and he didn't really have anything to do with both 917 videos, he also isn't the TM. Not even close to being a suitable comparison.

Even if his graphics arent masterpieces, they still require effort they just dont magically appear onto wood

The comparison is they both own and operate a company?
My lord you must have Dills dick deep down your throat its clogging your ability to think, why do you give Dill all the credit?? Seems like you spend way too much time down at the FA shop lurking around

Do you bring your horsies down there too? Or that reindeer in your weird little santa outfit??
two times

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2020, 09:43:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Even if his graphics arent masterpieces, they still require effort they just dont magically appear onto wood

My lord you must have Dills dick deep down your throat its clogging your ability to think, why do you give Dill all the credit?? Seems like you spend way too much time down at the FA shop lurking around

Do you bring your horsies down there too? Or that reindeer in your weird little santa outfit??

Alex has gone on record saying graphics are dumb, and that he doesn't care and even just cuts and paste stuff from clip art. How much effort could he possibly be putting in?

The comparison stops and starts there. They are going it at completely different ways. One is floundering, the other isn't.

Not sure why you're melting so hard, I've bought maybe 2 things from FA and they were both Dylan boards. Never been to the store.

thefriscokid

« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2020, 10:07:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Alex has gone on record saying graphics are dumb, and that he doesn't care and even just cuts and paste stuff from clip art. How much effort could he possibly be putting in?

The comparison stops and starts there. They are going it at completely different ways. One is floundering, the other isn't.

Not sure why you're melting so hard, I've bought maybe 2 things from FA and they were both Dylan boards. Never been to the store.

Its impossible to argue that the 917 graphics are better, I do agree the FA aesthetic is far more cohesive and successful .

I just dont see how you could paint AO as a lazy bum
Maybe Dill has a midas touch but I was trying to say his team and business structure are stronger
two times

McJagger

• Rep: 1
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2020, 10:09:35 AM »
AO mocked up a Fucking Awesome Talent Scout business card in his IG stories.  He wins

Good thing Jimi Britches isn't around anymore

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2020, 10:14:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Its impossible to argue that the 917 graphics are better, I do agree the FA aesthetic is far more cohesive and successful .

I just dont see how you could paint AO as a lazy bum
Maybe Dill has a midas touch but I was trying to say his team and business structure are stronger

I never painted him as a 'lazy bum'. I painted him as someone who clearly isn't involved as you seem to think he is, which he isn't. Alex has more or less said he isn't interested in skateboarding all the time, he even said so on a live chat with Aaron Meza a few weeks and good on him for being honest, but that does mean 917 as a company takes a hit.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2020, 10:55:29 AM »
End of the day I gotta hand it to AO. He didn't become a crailtap leach. Took risks with his career and didn't really pander to anyone or latch onto the supreme image too much.

He's changed and has always been pretty honest with it whether it's kinda cringe or what. To most people it's more interesting than an average pro staying the same guy his whole career, or who's only arc in their story is an injury or alchoholism.

I'm just not sure if he's got the stamina to do a brand anymore, hope i'm wrong though

Ocelot

« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2020, 11:03:41 AM »
End of the day I gotta hand it to AO. He didn't become a crailtap leach. Took risks with his career and didn't really pander to anyone or latch onto the supreme image too much.

He's changed and has always been pretty honest with it whether it's kinda cringe or what. To most people it's more interesting than an average pro staying the same guy his whole career, or who's only arc in their story is an injury or alchoholism.

I'm just not sure if he's got the stamina to do a brand anymore, hope i'm wrong though

he's 34.... and healthy

he's fine

Slicing.up.eyeballs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2020, 10:47:28 AM »
Expand Quote
I dunno what everyone is getting upset about. It's pretty normal to have some beers on a session. It doesn't mean it's binge drinking or that you're an alcoholic.
[close]
In the 917 video the first one he pulls out a flask and downs what’s in it. I’m cool with beer but whiskey/liquor at the spot? Does skating on its own bring any fun to him?
Yeah I don’t know, one time I went to G park and was really excited to see Aidan Mackey there, especially since I watched his 917 part that day, but he just sat there for an hour and smoked an entire pack of cigarettes. Pretty disappointing.

RapedByRepublicans

• Rep: -17
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2020, 11:20:19 AM »
Thread title is misleading. Thought AO was gonna come out

Yeah that's pretty fucking funny and all but I think it would be mighty unlikely to be the progeny of Steve Olson penis and not be all about the bitches...

Just saying, still fucking hilarious though.

And seriously they do whatever to fuck up and lose two riders, put out the video that Alex can't be arsed to film for and the last fucking time I went to try to buy something from them every single product on the website was sold out.... That's one helluva good business model.  People would like, for whatever cracked out drunken reason that was in my head, tried to support this shit and got cock blocked...  So I went and dropped 200 bucks at Black label instead got a badass Jason Adams cowgirl in the crescent Moon deck, Omar Hassan of the dead (my high school early adulthood favorite beer and all time second favorite film) not to mention some killer stickers and a signed by Lucero himself elephant logo blue and yellow t shirt that the ladies (read my mommy) just love!

So yeah... Blowing it is about right.

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Rep: 126
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2020, 11:30:13 AM »

So good.
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

RapedByRepublicans

« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2020, 11:35:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Yeah I don’t know, one time I went to G park and was really excited to see Aidan Mackey there, especially since I watched his 917 part that day, but he just sat there for an hour and smoked an entire pack of cigarettes. Pretty disappointing.

Yeah, the problem is people that booze and aren't productive, some can handle it some can't, that crazy fuck Dustin Dollin is still doing crazy ass shit, best trick and best slam in spinning away, even if it was only one shit he landed...

I like fa, and I've bought some of their shit, been a fan of Dill since Black label days, but I hated to see first Aidan and now Vincent and Nik leave... It's kind of funny when you think about it that all this New York skating revival shit that's happened in the last few years (I think in Dill's epicly later d they had a few seconds with Chris senn or some other old school dude saying there was like five pro's in all of NYC and that was maybe 2007) has been so largely influenced by a bunch of California fuckheads... Gonz Dill and AO are all California kids I think.

RapedByRepublicans

« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2020, 11:40:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So good.

I'm with you that it's funny as fuck but the team is still hemorrhaging talent...  That can't last unless they come up with flameboy and wet Willy and then just sell the fucking... Oh what the fuck am I talking about, I'd erase that but everyone needs to see me for the r-tard I am be...

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2020, 02:15:00 PM »
As long as max and Cyrus are there it’ll be okay
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2020, 03:10:46 PM »
I ordered product from them for the first time, went months without any confirmation, had to hit em up in email and insta several times before they got back to me. Turns out they were trying a new order fulfillment system and it has been sucking. Both the shirts I was ordering had long since sold out. I couldn't find anything of the equal amount that I wanted so they ended up sending me a long sleeve, a hat and one of the shirts they thought they sold out of. Thanks 917!

P.s. Max is the best
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

Spunkchild

• Rep: 38
  • Big gal
« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2020, 03:21:48 PM »

yeah, this guy
I have bad taste and I smell like fetta cheese

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2020, 03:44:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

So good.
[close]

I'm with you that it's funny as fuck but the team is still hemorrhaging talent...  That can't last unless they come up with flameboy and wet Willy and then just sell the fucking... Oh what the fuck am I talking about, I'd erase that but everyone needs to see me for the r-tard I am be...

Please don’t agree with me.  By your user name and use of a certain r-word, I can tell I’d hate you.   

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2020, 03:49:41 PM »
I like 917. I’ve skated a few of their boards and they were great. Some of their graphics are better than others. Their videos are always good too. I hope Max and Cyrus stay. It would be cool to get some AO footage too. I might be in the minority but I always like his footage. He can be a little yoga enlightened but seems aware of it and genuinely into what he’s into.

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2020, 04:33:15 PM »
Expand Quote
917 has been lukewarm at best for a while, dudes should get on krooked
[close]

Yeah, these guys should leave their friends to go on tour with sebo fucking walker and get knockoff keith haring characters drawn on their griptape when they arent looking.

I'm so happy that you typed this

StrictlyBiznas

• Rep: 2
« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2020, 04:37:21 PM »
I totally agree.
I like 917. I’ve skated a few of their boards and they were great. Some of their graphics are better than others. Their videos are always good too. I hope Max and Cyrus stay. It would be cool to get some AO footage too. I might be in the minority but I always like his footage. He can be a little yoga enlightened but seems aware of it and genuinely into what he’s into.