Author Topic: Any of you ever managed to take your skate on board of EasyJet for free?  (Read 4475 times)

yeshua

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
Title

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Re: Any of you ever managed to take your skate on board of EasyJet for free?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 01:45:10 AM »
Yes.

Board taken apart and deck strapped to side of the backpack inside of an ikea bag. I'm not sure if they just didn't care or thought it was one bag. Image below that shows my packing shit. I probably have one with me actually wearing it but am too lazy to search for it right now.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 04:01:06 AM »
I usually just take my trucks off with the wheels still on and bring them along with the hardware in my carry-on luggage, then once I land I just try to find a new deck first thing.

EasyJet, RyanAir etc... is hit or miss, I don't think they have specific rules besides trying and fucking with the customers as much as possible in order to make up for the originally low fares. When I'd still try to bring it I've had my board labeled as 'sports equipment', other times as 'oversized luggage', sometimes before security, sometimes after just prior to boarding and then if you're not prepared with a tool you either have to leave it at the airport or pay 60 euros (I had one especially bad experience with an agent asking me to spell my credit card number, expiration date and code out loud whilst in the middle of the crowd of boarding passengers). Maybe a handful of time I made it through with no questions asked, including one time when just prior to boarding the plane a security agent suddenly ran for me on the tarmac (and eventually just gave me a gigantic plastic bag that smelled like shit for the board).

I think checked luggage is around 30 / 40 euros which is a little cheaper than the 60 euro extra risk, and may or may not beat buying a new deck for the duration of your stay once you land (still a scam). Every once in a while, security will ask about the trucks (or skate tools) in your carry-on, make sure you store them away in a little box or bag that shows you don't plan on using them on the plane maybe, or stuff each truck in the bottom corners of your bag so when it gets scanned the agents just assume it's some of system with wheels that's part of the bag. If confronted just explain them it's 'skateboard wheels' and most will find it cute and let you go (but don't look too stressed out because technically then can take them away, never happened to me in 10 years though, I did get my tool taken away once but that was just after the friend I was flying with had thrown a tantrum about how his 16mm film shouldn't be scanned and held the line for 15 minutes, so I guess after they were done with him they just wanted to fuck with me).

Also another tip, sometimes when you're carrying a backpack on board as your hand luggage and it's slightly bigger than the average handbag (whilst still small enough to fall under the regulations), more often than not if the flight is packed they will still try and put a label on your shit and tell you to give it to an agent at the gate for them to check it in just prior to boarding. It seems super arbitrary (in the same line I've seen people with big bags successfully get on board with them and people with smaller ones having to check them in at the gate) so if your shit gets labeled and you still want to take it with you in the cabin just find a discreet corner and rip the label off. The next agents you'll encounter probably won't give enough of a shit to bug a customer who's just about to board his plane at the very last minute.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 04:13:32 AM by silhouette »

yeshua

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 04:12:37 AM »
yeah I've been taking my trucks for a few years now, wrapped in a plastic bag sealed with tape and never had any issues but I was wondering how a deck would do because a friend said he never had any issues. I just assumed he was lucky. I think im not gonna risk it, cant really afford to be paying these fees just for a deck

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 11:46:45 AM »
Did it many times until about 2005ish when airport security started being OTT about everything, like skateboards being weapons.

These days I usually pay for a checked luggage and put all my gear in a big bag or, preferably, travel by train. It sounds weird at first but with security controls taking forever at airports, traveling by train doesn't take much longer than flying and it's far more comfortable (I'm not afraid of flying at all but I'm a big guy and can't get any leg room in planes). You're obviously not going to do that from Sweden to Spain but if you're staying in continental Europe it can be pretty cool. I've done it from Switzerland to London and it was great too.

gllm

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 07:04:39 PM »
feels like it's a 50/50 gamble game really, beware if you have a transfer with two different companies though,
had my board stripped to my backpack with the trucks off inside it, was allowed to carry my deck in the plane on the first flight but then after transit on the second flight the cabin crew just went crazy on me, had to put it with the checked luggage for no extra fee + got a cool bar code sticker slapped on it, guess I got lucky on this one

yeshua

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 07:08:46 AM »
Ended up taking my board with me. Surprisingly no one cared about it, but my spanners got taken at security because apparently I need a license for tools. They were just a cheap set from Poundland so no harm done.

Heres how I took it:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 04:33:34 PM by yeshua »