Author Topic: Tyshawn Jones SOTY 2018  (Read 57065 times)

stephop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
Re: Tyshawn Jones SOTY 2018
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2018, 09:34:19 PM »
Thrasher picks whoever they feel like winning. Nobody in their right mind could possibly think he put out the best and most consistent footage this year.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2018, 10:14:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Best rider I've seen...best rider I've seen.
[close]
Did you especially like the flip of the board?
Is your vertical leap about an inch, if that high?

Tortoise

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2018, 10:20:09 PM »
lots of things I think people are thinking rn:
The east coast has been snubbed for years by thrasher

The East Coast skateboarders, or the East Coast skateboarding scene?

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2018, 10:25:08 PM »
stoked as long as bill doesn't film the soty trip

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2018, 11:03:37 PM »
Thrasher picks whoever they feel like winning. Nobody in their right mind could possibly think he put out the best and most consistent footage this year.

Thought I was wilding for a sec. I love TJ and what he brings with his skating but Evan has been a machine the last 2 years.

I haven't seen blessed so maybe that might just change my mind for whatever reason but I doubt it. I just don't get how someone can drop part after part of elite level ATV skating and get snubbed TWICE.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2018, 11:06:51 PM »

I must not be in my right mind.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

PeggyHillsShittySpanish

• Rep: 2
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2018, 12:24:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thought I was wilding for a sec. I love TJ and what he brings with his skating but Evan has been a machine the last 2 years.

I haven't seen blessed so maybe that might just change my mind for whatever reason but I doubt it. I just don't get how someone can drop part after part of elite level ATV skating and get snubbed TWICE.

I am baffled by this as well. I could see Evan turning it down. That dude does not need a trophy. He can do whatever he wants on a skateboard.

meadowsoprano

• Rep: -4
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2018, 12:34:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I just don't get how someone can drop part after part of elite level ATV skating and get snubbed TWICE.

Because he's a stinking hippie.

ArtVandelay

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2018, 12:48:00 AM »
Good to see someone on the east coast get it. Just a question - is there any footage of Tyshawn skating tranny? Can he? I’d like to see a King of The Road style challenge before he can get the trophy. He has to do a backside air and an invert.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2018, 12:53:23 AM »
Very good, he is worthy. Youngest SoTY ever?

Dernpop1

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2018, 01:10:37 AM »
Well deserved. Kid shreds

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2018, 01:11:19 AM »
Cool for him, but that was probably more of a statement: " we are with the cool guys ".

Any of the 8 dudes who were on the running up were absolutely amazing and crushed it this year
( Oski and Milton especially in my eyes ) but it's down to what does Thrasher needs right now.

As much as I remember it being gnarly, I can't recall a trick from TJ's part in blessed due to the shitty "product placement" filming fat bill does these days.

Like someone mentioned in another thread the ollie over the can into the courthouse is fucked and hardly understandable. Hopefully they'll get someone else to film the SOTY trip.

The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2018, 01:28:59 AM »
As much as I remember it being gnarly, I can't recall a trick from TJ's part in blessed due to the shitty "product placement" filming fat bill does these days
I think that just speaks more to your inability to pay attention

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2018, 03:01:49 AM »
Expand Quote
As much as I remember it being gnarly, I can't recall a trick from TJ's part in blessed due to the shitty "product placement" filming fat bill does these days
[close]

ollie into courthouse? switch tre that double? fakie flip a fucking street?

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2018, 03:07:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Not knocking off the skateboarding, it's fucked up and incredibly good.

The editing? yeah, it sucked and I feel that the combination of filming and editing didn't do it for me.

I would have loved to see that part not after an hour of slo-mos on Sean Pablo's face and edited by someone else.

That's all, TJ talent is undeniable.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2018, 03:52:56 AM »
Knockin on Heavens Door was such a good hammers track
wash uffize drive me to firenze

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2018, 04:04:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Switch 360 flip there is the most fucked up thing. For decades people had to resort to tow-ins to exceptionally try and huck themselves down that shit and the best, most legendary trick done there was a frontside nollie (Florentin Marfaing I believe? I'm tired and need more coffee). Walking up that set you'd literally laugh to yourself in disbelief about the idea of someone trying and making a frontside nollie down it. It's doesn't even feel like a possible double set when you stand at its top, the second part feels as unattainable and foreign as some lone island in the horizon. People have been slaying that spot over the past years now but sw 360 flip or really any sw / nollie flip trick down that shit is something else.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 04:07:06 AM by silhouette »

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2018, 04:06:51 AM »
What if TJ originally turned down SOTY because he’s one super fucking classy dude? But didnt check with his sponsors first so when they heard they were like “Dude you cant turn this down, we already have a whole product/marketing line for next year”. Maybe thats why the IG vid looks so faked and forced because Thrasher, Supreme, FA, and Adidas knew they would collectively make a fuckload of money collabing/repping him in 2019.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -677
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2018, 04:41:51 AM »
What if TJ originally turned down SOTY because he’s one super fucking classy dude? But didnt check with his sponsors first so when they heard they were like “Dude you cant turn this down, we already have a whole product/marketing line for next year”. Maybe thats why the IG vid looks so faked and forced because Thrasher, Supreme, FA, and Adidas knew they would collectively make a fuckload of money collabing/repping him in 2019.

Nothing says class like a nice durag
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

Velvet

• Rep: -41
  • pat duffy
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2018, 04:46:45 AM »
Who knew there were so many old white men who hate durags.

Googan Christmas

• Rep: 25
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2018, 04:53:21 AM »

Dude it was awkward because Tyshawn is 19 and grew up skating in a city where if someone who looks like Phelps approaches you in a park they are about to expose themselves to you.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2018, 04:55:58 AM »
As long as Strokbek isn't filming the SOTY trip, I think it will be alright. I wonder where they will go

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2018, 05:02:29 AM »
Just rewatched his Blessed part to see if I was missing anything.  It was 39 tricks, 1/4 of which were flatground.  Roughly 2 minutes of actual skating.  SOTY? Ok....

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2018, 05:05:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What does a mythological race from Salvatore/Forgotten Realms have to do with this? Durags live in the Underdark dude.

Obscure jokes aside: You arent serious are you? Thats a lame ass hill to choose to die on. TJ has more class rocking a Du-Rag then I do rocking my work hat to keep my hair from burning at my job.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2018, 05:24:09 AM »
Just rewatched his Blessed part to see if I was missing anything.  It was 39 tricks, 1/4 of which were flatground.  Roughly 2 minutes of actual skating.  SOTY? Ok....
Loved these calculations, can we get some more data to compare? Maybe like, cumulative stair count or number of degrees rotated and we can compare it to everyone else's video parts? Only than will we know who truly deserves to be SOTY...

Good to see someone on the east coast get it. Just a question - is there any footage of Tyshawn skating tranny? Can he? I’d like to see a King of The Road style challenge before he can get the trophy. He has to do a backside air and an invert.
I, too, would like to see some KOTR challenges before I'm convinced Tyshawn's footage output this year was top-notch. Maybe we can get him to smear shit on his leg and film a trick, so we know he's really down for the mag?

Expand Quote
[close]

Hey, Surf-Goth, you didn't answer my question in the other thread, so I'll ask it here: what's wrong with du-rags?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 05:29:34 AM by heckler »
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2018, 05:32:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Loved these calculations, can we get some more data to compare? Maybe like, cumulative stair count or number of degrees rotated and we can compare it to everyone else's video parts? Only than will we know who truly deserves to be SOTY...

Expand Quote
[close]
I, too, would like to see some KOTR challenges before I'm convinced Tyshawn's footage output this year was top-notch. Maybe we can get him to smear shit on his leg and film a trick, so we know he's really down for the mag?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Hey, Surf-Goth, you didn't answer my question in the other thread, so I'll ask it here: what's wrong with du-rags?

They're super classy

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 173
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2018, 05:36:44 AM »
It was a perplexing choice, there's no other way to put it.

Speaking for myself, the award feels a lot less special now.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2018, 05:39:02 AM »
Somebody wrote on this thread that Dylan r was the "best skater of the decade"  and that "thrasher snubbed him".  First of all fuck thrasher and also Dylan isn't the "best skater" of a whole decade of skating on planet earth.   Sorry.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 05:45:26 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2018, 05:50:34 AM »
Can somebody give a rundown on how Tyshawn actually did this year as whole? How much and what did he put out?

Usually I can agree with SOTY picks, however this year it seems simple availability bias comes into play. Just happened that Tyshawn was able to put out bonkers footy most recently and he is vivid in our memory.

Speaking for myself, the award feels a lot less special now.

Yep. :(

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2018, 05:54:37 AM »
Wow. Another controversial shot from this fuckhead.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.