Author Topic: Tyshawn Jones SOTY 2018  (Read 57067 times)

Velvet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -41
  • pat duffy
Re: Tyshawn Jones SOTY 2018
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2018, 06:06:57 AM »
As long as Strokbek isn't filming the SOTY trip, I think it will be alright. I wonder where they will go

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2018, 06:25:09 AM »
Expand Quote
As long as Strokbek isn't filming the SOTY trip, I think it will be alright. I wonder where they will go
[close]

A tennis court, somewhere exotic.

thebacker

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2018, 06:27:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

How funny would it be if the SOTY trip was in NYC

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2018, 06:33:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Waybetter if it was in SF and we got to watch Swan try to bomb a hill.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2018, 06:37:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Waybetter if it was in SF and we got to watch Swan try to bomb a hill.

Here, here ! Or even better watch him try to do a difficult skateboard trick.

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2018, 06:52:02 AM »
Phelps looks so out of place in NYC, like he inadvertently wandered out of a retirement home.

Youskate?

• Rep: 1
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2018, 06:54:43 AM »
I feel like the hype surrounding supreme fa etc almost out weighs anything anyone else has put out this year purely due to the fact that is what’s popular and what’s cool. No doubt tyshawn is a great skater, but he could of won soty in the years to come of his career. he put out a great part but really for amount of hype I would of expected more footage from him this year. the amount of cringy posts that strobeck does almost makes these things feel like a popularity contest, dude needs to chill out on that.. and for blessed, tyshawn and rowans parts felt like the only real skating the whole 80 mins, watching ppl smoking weed with a fisheye is fucking lame, 40 year old men should realise this. assuming it was Evan who turned down soty, that is a true sign of character of a humble human who doesn’t need such accolades next to his name, I respect that. Not taking anything away from tyshawns win cos he’s killing it, I just feel hype outweighs hard work sometimes

cloudy

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2018, 07:05:11 AM »
pleasantly surprised by the decision. definitely thought that the powers that be would have made it worth thrasher's while for going an alternate route.

posting a pic with zion's dad in a thrasher hat as a last-ditch campaign effort? i see you clements.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2018, 07:14:59 AM »
Milton got robbed.

SIMPLY

• Rep: 32
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2018, 07:23:50 AM »
milton didn't get robbed
even is gimmicky
nobody fucking turned SOTY down

jesus christ

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2018, 07:24:39 AM »
Cool.

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2018, 07:27:43 AM »
TJ winning is a good move for all of skateboarding

The guy oozes style and works with a lot of basics and fundamentals, which really is what makes great skateboarding.
He can do mind-blowing stuff but he can also make a 5-0 on a ledge look super gnarly.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2018, 07:31:54 AM »
Everyone was calling him SOTY 2 months before Blessed came out.  Then it was released, had 2 minutes of him skating and they had to stick to their guns.  He's a great skater, tons of style, great trick selection but that 2 minutes of skating does not warrant SOTY.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2018, 07:44:45 AM »
Brian Clemens gives off the creepiest vibes.

Kinda cool to see a young kid getting it 2 years in a row like back-in-the-day. Seems silly that someone needs to wait until they're 25 to win a skateboard award or 37 or whatever AVE was.

Rudie Weatherman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2018, 07:46:28 AM »
Other than temporal proximity, there's no reason to think Andrew Reynold's was referring to this year's SOTY, as opposed to a past year's, but I'd like to know the truth. TJ seems like a clear second place to Evan, at least in terms of output. Did Evan turn down Thrasher? Did he not want people to think he won partially for eating a turd? On the other hand, the business/fashion angle works in TJ's favor. Cool factor goes to the guy who didn't eat a turd.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:22:09 AM by Rudie Weatherman »

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2018, 07:49:33 AM »
Everyone was calling him SOTY 2 months before Blessed came out.  Then it was released, had 2 minutes of him skating and they had to stick to their guns.  He's a great skater, tons of style, great trick selection but that 2 minutes of skating does not warrant SOTY.
I agree. What did TJ even do for Thrasher this year, his cover says January 2019 on it? And why is Thrasher assuming everyone even saw the video. I didnt buy it. It wasnt on the Thrasher website. Where the fuck should i have seen this video. At the last moments he drops a video thats not even for the mag and gets the award? Thrasher is sucking Supreme FA dick really hard on this choice.

If you cant beat 'em, join 'em. Im buying a durag.

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2018, 07:54:03 AM »
I back it, first SOTY since AVE that didn’t skate a kink rail all year?

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2018, 07:56:58 AM »
Can't take SOTY seriously when someone wins putting out far less footage and coverage then other deserving skaters. Seems like a random East Coast marketing thing this time around. Not Even counting Evan guys like Joslin who I don't even really care for put out quadruple the footage and hammers this year never mind the last few years which is like 10x the footage.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2018, 07:59:20 AM »
Appreciate the fresh move on from the rail chompers

Tyshawn wasn't my first pick, but you can't deny he's done some incredible shit this year.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2018, 08:00:09 AM »
tiago should have won.
, tj is good, but he's a modern day Kareem, and Kareem was never close to soty.
seems like thrasher is just trying to get in with the cool guys at supreme.
that Instagram video with phelps presenting the award was cringe, Phelps has Aspergers

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2018, 08:04:58 AM »
Dude it was awkward because Tyshawn is 19 and grew up skating in a city where if someone who looks like Phelps approaches you in a park they are about to expose themselves to you.

sms_b

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2018, 08:09:28 AM »
Hyped.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2018, 08:10:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
As much as I remember it being gnarly, I can't recall a trick from TJ's part in blessed due to the shitty "product placement" filming fat bill does these days
[close]
I think that just speaks more to your inability to pay attention
[close]

ollie into courthouse? switch tre that double? fakie flip a fucking street?

I haven't really seen it mentioned but his back tail on that huge rail going mach 10 was crazy as fuck
Gentleman ninja warlock

pinkbananastatus

• Rep: 10
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2018, 08:14:54 AM »
milton didn't get robbed
even is gimmicky
nobody fucking turned SOTY down

jesus christ

This.

Also does anyone even remember literally any SOTY award in the 2010's, before Instagram became a thing? Quality >> Quantity. I'd honestly rather see someone kill themselves for one fucked up video part than be desensitized to their footage based on how much has been put out.

Plus Even ate dog shit.
I don't really understand what's going on and I haven't read this thread yet, but I can tell I'm angry.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2018, 08:17:31 AM »
Poor joslin.

Skated 37 hours a day, films 800 parts and puts out w minutes of gnarly footy every week and hes not evan in the running.

Hes destined for a transworld award in 20 years.

Stoked for tj but evan should a got it IMO, or joslin. But that doesnt make sense, business wise.

Thrasher just cashed in on supreme. I hope supreme doeant bite and makes fuck you thrasher hoodies for $800
Gentleman ninja warlock

Merlin

• Rep: -52
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2018, 08:17:58 AM »
I voted for Nyjah

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2018, 08:23:30 AM »
Since everyone seems to have selective memory when it comes to Tyshawn's output this year, here's what he did beyond his Blessed part:

All of this was top-notch, real street skating in one of the most hectic cities in the world, all of these Instagram clips really stuck in people's memory (a rarity in 2018), and all of this was accomplished while running his own brand and opening up a restaurant in the neighborhood where he grew up.

No one has to like the dude, he doesn't have to be your first pick, but everyone acting like he hasn't done anything this year is showing how painfully out-of-touch they really are.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

FROST YOUR TIPS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2018, 08:26:33 AM »
What if TJ originally turned down SOTY because he’s one super fucking classy dude? But didnt check with his sponsors first so when they heard they were like “Dude you cant turn this down, we already have a whole product/marketing line for next year”. Maybe thats why the IG vid looks so faked and forced because Thrasher, Supreme, FA, and Adidas knew they would collectively make a fuckload of money collabing/repping him in 2019.
He does have a shoe coming out summer next year

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2018, 08:29:52 AM »
i love that tyshawn won simply because of how many feathers its ruffled here. in reality phelps ruins everything for me so i wish he wouldnt have picked him.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2018, 08:31:19 AM »
Just rewatched his Blessed part to see if I was missing anything.  It was 39 tricks, 1/4 of which were flatground.  Roughly 2 minutes of actual skating.  SOTY? Ok....

And no wallrides, no-complys, or double flips. Makes no sense I know...

On a postive note at least we get more Who Kid footy and Supreme/Thrasher collabos.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:35:02 AM by Style Police »