Author Topic: Skaters who purchase Instagram followers  (Read 7934 times)

bo golden

Re: Skaters who purchase Instagram followers
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2019, 11:38:42 AM »
i blocked Furby and his stupid company on my Insta.

Donkey Lips

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1001
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2019, 11:50:36 AM »
I've been thinking about the follower/view count thing how it really has no value, unless you have signed a contract where a company has established a value to a following and view count, and will pay you if you meet that criteria. Or your online sales are a direct result of your following and view count.

Until you get paid or establish a dollar amount value to your followers or view count then it's worthless.

Which is why most of them use referral/affiliate codes to track conversions.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2019, 12:34:02 PM »
I work for a company that pays musicians and the IG following was explained to me very simply:

Followers, comments and likes are all quantifiable things to measure value and impact, especially for social impressions. Bots kind of fuck that up but I believe it's been proven that someone is more likely to follow a "celebrity" with 1m followers over the "celebrity" with 11k followers.

Call them sheeple, whatever, but the fact remains there's enough idiots left with a smartphone that think they're following a megastar if they have more followers.

Regarding people following the hashtag #skateboarding and liking/commenting on anything they can, makes complete sense as to why they would for traction. I have a friend who's a professional fighter and absolutely hates social media, really values his privacy. His sponsors pushed back and essentially said "We're going to pay you and keep you sponsored if fans have somewhere to follow you", so he started an IG page. Every post he has contains almost 100 hashtags related to fighting and if he's resting or injured, he's following hashtags and liking/replying to posts. Sponsors are happy and he's doing what most professional athletes do, whether by themselves or paying someone else to - marketing their product... them being the product.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2019, 12:53:26 PM »
I work for a company that pays musicians and the IG following was explained to me very simply:

Followers, comments and likes are all quantifiable things to measure value and impact, especially for social impressions. Bots kind of fuck that up but I believe it's been proven that someone is more likely to follow a "celebrity" with 1m followers over the "celebrity" with 11k followers.

Call them sheeple, whatever, but the fact remains there's enough idiots left with a smartphone that think they're following a megastar if they have more followers.

Regarding people following the hashtag #skateboarding and liking/commenting on anything they can, makes complete sense as to why they would for traction. I have a friend who's a professional fighter and absolutely hates social media, really values his privacy. His sponsors pushed back and essentially said "We're going to pay you and keep you sponsored if fans have somewhere to follow you", so he started an IG page. Every post he has contains almost 100 hashtags related to fighting and if he's resting or injured, he's following hashtags and liking/replying to posts. Sponsors are happy and he's doing what most professional athletes do, whether by themselves or paying someone else to - marketing their product... them being the product.

Thanks for putting it into words. It's not that complicated : brands sponsoring people = more or less buying advertising space. Of course you want your ad to be seen as much as possible

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -300
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2019, 01:49:58 PM »
Expand Quote
I know of a few companies that have bought followers for their riders' Instagram accounts as well as the company's Instagram account. First time I heard of a skateboard company doing this was in 2014. Seems to be a fairly common practice.
[close]

I have a friend who was hanging out with a really well-known American pro in Sydney around this time. He was injured and spent most of the day browsing #skateboarding liking pictures. My friend asked him what he was doing to which he replied "I'm working."

Why not just say who it was?

Get the strap

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2019, 01:55:11 PM »
Expand Quote
I've been thinking about the follower/view count thing how it really has no value, unless you have signed a contract where a company has established a value to a following and view count, and will pay you if you meet that criteria. Or your online sales are a direct result of your following and view count.

Until you get paid or establish a dollar amount value to your followers or view count then it's worthless.
[close]

Which is why most of them use referral/affiliate codes to track conversions.

Had to Google those marketing terms...but it's still someone assigning value to an Instagram page or post.

It's not like currency, where $10 USD is $10.00, and anybody who has $10 owns it for the same value as anyone else, $10.00

If I make a post that gets 50,000 views, it has no value until someone assigns a value to it. If Nyjah makes a post with 50,000 views and if his Instagram has all the shit you mentioned then he gets paid.

Me 50,000 views = $0.00
Nyjah 50,000 views = $10,000

Therefore who gives a fuck about followers and view counts, except the people who get paid, and they're going to manipulate you to enjoy Instagram more and you'll fiend for the likes, views, and follows because that's how the app is designed.

Every influencer is encouraging everyone to really engage to Instagram when all of us regular users is just mindless entertainment and excessive use can cause anxiety, depression, real life social detachment, loss of human to human social skills, memory loss, etc

I guess the question is what are the odds of becoming a paid influencer, and how many people with hella followers are getting paid nothing.

Syhr

• Rep: 11
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2019, 02:07:17 AM »
My friend is still stoked that Greg Lutzka commented "rad" on one of his pictures.  Greg was just spamming shit on every #skateboarding post to get followers and I think it's funny as shit.

One of my friends left a comment on something Dane Burman posted. Dane liked the comment, you know, like he likes literally every comment.

My friend then screenshotted that and posted it himself, as he was beyond hyped Dane liked his comment.

The internet is weird...

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2019, 03:25:56 AM »
Mikey Taylor is that money guy yeah?

papo

• Rep: -191
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2019, 04:11:48 AM »
Newsflash:

EVERYBODY buy followers. And those who are smart also buy likes. A simple way to tell is the engagement rate/ratio of followers to likes and comments. In the skateboard industry you are more likely to gain comments, which can be considered as real engagement.

Summary: followers and likes are irrelevant.

Bagelskate

• Rep: 62
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2019, 04:20:33 AM »
If anyone or any company wants to buy my follow, I’m bought very cheap. I take payment in forms of merch and sticker packs.

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 10
    • HH avatar image
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2019, 08:05:39 AM »
Funny history: a friend of mine who is a good skater, IDK is a OK skater, si not pro, know or anything went to brazil for vacations and suddenly start having 1500 likes per post, in his Ig and in her girlfriends ig too,  like nothing when normally had like 100-130 likes. We asked about in our group chat and he said he was "also surprised, maybe is the beach, landscapes, or the tattoos because according to the instagram algoritm when it see skin the post appears on the search".. They bought likes for sure, they came back and never had that amount of likes, and the othere day speaking of that and searching those post, most of the likes are from accounts with weird names, not pictures, followers etc..   Big liar, maybe they wanted to fell like influencers in their trip, but would be great if they accept, IDK if that make you happy is ok, if people pay for prostitutes, drugs, gambling, booze or anything that make you happy is ok, dont have to hide it.

If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2019, 08:32:39 AM »
Unless your livelihood or company depends on you having a ton of followers, buying followers and likes is next level pathetic.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2019, 08:34:44 AM »
just think, bawtawd could easily make a few thousand instagram accounts. you pay him to have those accounts follow you, before you know it you'll be rubbing insta elbows with mikey taylor.

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2019, 08:52:30 AM »

He’s a sad ex-pro/human-horse hybrid that makes videos with lots of generic advise for entrepreneurs or some shit. He’s also involved in some sort of gentrification investment scam.

I’m all for pros moving on after skating. Salman Agah seems to be doing good with his pizza thing. But something about Miley Taylor bothers the shit out of me. Produce something. Make a thing, sell that thing. This motivational speaker act is super lame. Charging people to listen to your ideas like you’re somehow smarter than everybody else is so narcissistic and isn’t going to help anybody get rich. But I guess wanting to get rich is what people do. Just seems like and ego stroke and has no value in the real world.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2019, 09:05:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He’s a sad ex-pro/human-horse hybrid that makes videos with lots of generic advise for entrepreneurs or some shit. He’s also involved in some sort of gentrification investment scam.

I’m all for pros moving on after skating. Salman Agah seems to be doing good with his pizza thing. But something about Miley Taylor bothers the shit out of me. Produce something. Make a thing, sell that thing. This motivational speaker act is super lame. Charging people to listen to your ideas like you’re somehow smarter than everybody else is so narcissistic and isn’t going to help anybody get rich. But I guess wanting to get rich is what people do. Just seems like and ego stroke and has no value in the real world.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larissafaw/2018/03/02/the-scam-of-millennial-motivational-coaches/#233e8689d14e

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2019, 11:22:50 AM »
#authenticity 🙏

Seems to have picked up almost another 100k followers since the thread was posted.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2019, 11:43:43 AM »
he has an engagement rate of 0.81%  ;D

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1304
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2019, 12:07:00 PM »
Uh oh Rick Kane you just got a gnar.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 982
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2019, 12:09:15 PM »
The company i work for offered me a 12% raise to run their instagram and facebook accounts but I turned them down. You can't even pay me to be involved with those platforms. I think most social media is cancer and is negatively affecting society. I feel sorry for people who's livelihood depends on people engaging with them on social media. That must really suck.

this is hilarious in retro perspective
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2019, 12:46:39 PM »
The company i work for offered me a 12% raise to run their instagram and facebook accounts but I turned them down. You can't even pay me to be involved with those platforms. I think most social media is cancer and is negatively affecting society. I feel sorry for people who's livelihood depends on people engaging with them on social media. That must really suck.

You should try going on FB or IG, you can find some good jokes in the comments that you can use as your own on SLAP.

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2019, 03:46:04 PM »
Opposite situation today : kingpin skatemag's old account just got bought (hacked?) by this :
https://www.instagram.com/the__big__trip/

Was wondering about this
:) I must have been tripping last night

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3318
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2019, 03:54:26 PM »
Yeah, I could see Mikey Taylor paying for sex.

Looks like I have something in common with Mikey Taylor.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2019, 06:10:06 PM »
Chase Webb begs to differ.

Rollininpretty

• Rep: -36
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2019, 06:46:04 AM »
Expand Quote
The page for this isn't showing any data anymore:
https://theboardr.com/globalranksocial

I wonder if Boardr didn't like what their charts might be revealing.

Easy to tell phony from real
My thing is when companies buy into how fake the person is.
[close]

haha! Classic skateboard industry.
Anyway, that data is publicly available if you care enough to search for it.