Author Topic: Active Ride Shop on Pyramid Scheme? "Lifetime Commission" for Joining "The Crew"  (Read 3668 times)

cloudy

yesterday, in perusing active ride shop's "green monday" sale, a speech balloon promoting something called "the crew" caught my eye:

https://crew.activerideshop.com/signup

apparently, the idea of "the crew" is so revolutionary that it merited a write-up from retailwire - "retailing’s premier online discussion forum":

On its website, the California-based skateboard-themed chain describes the lifetime commission this way: “Nick joins The Crew. Nick shares his link with Sallie. Sallie shops at Active using Nick’s link and receives 20 percent off her purchase. Nick earns one point for every dollar Sallie spends on this purchase and all of her future purchases, for life. That’s how lifetime commission works.”

be sure to check out the five "expert" comments at the end of the article from people with very fancy-sounding titles - https://www.retailwire.com/discussion/will-active-ride-shop-customers-be-stoked-over-lifetime-commissions/

whenever something like this comes up, i can't help but think of ways to exploit it.

my first thought was, what's stopping someone from creating two accounts - one the "point-earner" and the other the "buyer"? i'm sure a few of us have created new email accounts just to take advantage of "first-time subscriber" promotions. i can't imagine this being much more difficult?

my second, more grandiose scheme was, let's set up a master slap "point-earner" account that would be collecting lifetime commissions from every slap "buyer" that made a purchase through active. we would never cash-in on any of the points, until, one day, the account had amassed so much credit that active couldn't possibly pay it out. as a compromise, they'd offer us all vote-holding status on their executive board, where we would strong-arm them into stocking nothing but fred gall re-issues and manchester cupsoles.

now, who's coming with me?!

Technique

YES.
This is what skateboarding needs.

Andmoreagain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 51
I didn't read any of that but they've been TEXTING ME ads recently and it's fucking pissing me off. I've probably ordered from them twice in 5 years. Don't ever recall giving the fuckers my number.

SHIREFLIP

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
Everything about this points to a pyramid scheme. This is incredibly funny.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3325
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
They could have at least named it "The Krü" to lend it an air of legitimacy.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
My local shop did something similar just recently. Buy 500€ worth of shop gear and market the shop on InstaSnap and FaceTube and get a commission. Something like that. Didn't look into it very much but I was strongly put off by it all. Seems like a very dishonest cash grab to me.  :-X

Trickflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
Let's see a tre flip on this pyramid, Palmquist

ungzilla

do you guys know what a pyramid scheme is? i don't think you can go bankrupt bothering your friends to buy stuff through your partner-link.

pinkbananastatus

• Rep: 10
Let's see a tre flip on this pyramid, Palmquist
I don't really understand what's going on and I haven't read this thread yet, but I can tell I'm angry.

pizza bitch

• Rep: 129
  • mhmmmmmmmm
Joining a pyramid scheme involves investing in to a business and expecting to see no return of it. This shit is basically just a rewards program.

Good luck on that tre flip Palmquist

cloudy

do you guys know what a pyramid scheme is? i don't think you can go bankrupt bothering your friends to buy stuff through your partner-link.

Joining a pyramid scheme involves investing in to a business and expecting to see no return of it. This shit is basically just a rewards program.

hey guys, we're just lowly skateboarders. tell that to ken morris! (but i think you may be confusing pyramid schemes with ponzi schemes.)

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
Rise and grind, you’re just not seeing the vision

pizza bitch

• Rep: 129
  • mhmmmmmmmm
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

hey guys, we're just lowly skateboarders. tell that to ken morris! (but i think you may be confusing pyramid schemes with ponzi schemes.)

Touche Ken Morris. He's absolutely right though. Gen Z loves this shit. Expect to see this from a lot more brands and online webstores.

Trendwatch 2k19

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1059
They could have at least named it "The Krü" to lend it an air of legitimacy.

Read this, in my head, with Clint Walker's yell.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2192
If you shop at Active you deserve to be robbed.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
I signed up for this cause my buddy always buys shit from active . Your link also gives them 20% off. Not saying I’ll ever get anything out of it but if my friends use it enough to get some free socks for myself I’m not complaining.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

bo golden

If you shop at Active you deserve to be robbed.

theotherguy

• Rep: -26
It's just a standard affiliate program, calm the fuck down. Imagine, companies trying to form additional streams of revenue fucking cooky right?

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
This is an old karma loop thing.

Seeing as karma loop went bankrupt I’m gonna day this is a bad idea. All it really does is hurt your margins.
I need a coffee

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
It's a GDPR thing. We have the same kinda scheme where I work. Basically you feed them your info, and recruit your friends to feed them their info for a tiny kickback.

It's airmiles on the ground.

CoMpLeMenTs4Uonlysometime

I didn't read any of that but they've been TEXTING ME ads recently and it's fucking pissing me off. I've probably ordered from them twice in 5 years. Don't ever recall giving the fuckers my number.
I gave them your number and specifically said you wanted marketing texts. Should've paid me back for that "Thrasher" lower back tattoo I did on you bucko.

TD

• Rep: -2
Manchester Cupsole re-issues? Where?