Author Topic: New Skate Game! Skater XL  (Read 75172 times)

AlexOlsonsDashiki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 39
Re: New Skate Game! Skater XL
« Reply #420 on: August 18, 2020, 12:19:08 PM »
I just downloaded the update for ps4 really quick but havent had a chance to play yet. Anyone able to tell me what the update contained?
Every time the McRib comes out I buy it. I don't even like the damn things.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #421 on: August 18, 2020, 04:53:05 PM »
I just downloaded the update for ps4 really quick but havent had a chance to play yet. Anyone able to tell me what the update contained?

from what I can tell they added goofy challenges and then just fixed some glitches that I was not experiencing to begin with. saw some people saying the game felt smoother but im not really noticing anything different. didnt stop me from playing for another hour haha

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #422 on: August 18, 2020, 06:43:20 PM »
Separate gripe, if they have grimple stix decks why can't I get an eagle deck? Also some shaped decks would be sick, like in session.

yeah i've popped a few Anti hero and Krooked decks in there, you checked out mod.io?  Mostly dogshit decks as gamers are fuckin' goons but there's some good ones.  if I get time, i'll blast thru a few sick ones.

The no shaped boards thing sucks.  I had shaped boards in an early version, dunno what happened to them.  I had a Cab long dragon with Red slime balls, was fuckin sick as shit.

Also, have they done a cheeky update?  Felt way easier to get into nose and tail slides last night.  Or maybe i'm just fuckin' killing it.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #423 on: August 18, 2020, 11:14:11 PM »
man, the consoles need some kinda mod power or im gonna be over this quicker than i realized.

its great for putting together tricks on ledges, rails, manuals, etc, but its a lot of the same. a lot of similar spots.

its making me realize how in depth the ea skate games were. i understand this is an indie game, but the levels in skate especially the first one felt so alive in comparison and had so many unique spots and ways you could skate them. for example needing to skitch into some spots to have enough speed or taking a hill route. also the feeling of bombing hills was well done in those. you never really feel like youre character has enough weight in this and session

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #424 on: August 19, 2020, 01:28:05 AM »
Expand Quote
I feel like the tricks should flip faster in general, and the same goes for the spins. I like the wind up but the 180s and 360s still feel off.

I also kinda wish that ollies and nollies could only be activated by using both sticks, rather than one. I don't know how many times I'm trying to steer only to pop shove and get stuck facing the wrong direction.
[close]

That's because you are steering with the joystick. Steer with the triggers exclusively like the game intends and you will not have this problem.

I get ghost shoves a lot steering w the triggers
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #425 on: August 19, 2020, 07:05:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I feel like the tricks should flip faster in general, and the same goes for the spins. I like the wind up but the 180s and 360s still feel off.

I also kinda wish that ollies and nollies could only be activated by using both sticks, rather than one. I don't know how many times I'm trying to steer only to pop shove and get stuck facing the wrong direction.
[close]

That's because you are steering with the joystick. Steer with the triggers exclusively like the game intends and you will not have this problem.
[close]

I get ghost shoves a lot steering w the triggers

Fuck man I get them endlessly when trying to Ollie. It’s killing the game for me.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #426 on: August 19, 2020, 07:07:36 AM »
man, the consoles need some kinda mod power or im gonna be over this quicker than i realized.

its great for putting together tricks on ledges, rails, manuals, etc, but its a lot of the same. a lot of similar spots.

its making me realize how in depth the ea skate games were. i understand this is an indie game, but the levels in skate especially the first one felt so alive in comparison and had so many unique spots and ways you could skate them. for example needing to skitch into some spots to have enough speed or taking a hill route. also the feeling of bombing hills was well done in those. you never really feel like youre character has enough weight in this and session

Yeah it’s kinda like steering a balloon. I want some momentum to 180s, not fidgeting the right angle in, feels terrible.

Dr Waffles

• Rep: 15
« Reply #427 on: August 19, 2020, 07:28:50 AM »
bombing hills to hit something ridiculous was my favorite part about the skate games. I would pay money to have the map from skate 1 in this game.
In 5 years skateboarding will be dirtbiking

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #428 on: August 19, 2020, 07:36:25 AM »
Fuck man I get them endlessly when trying to Ollie. It’s killing the game for me.

oh man does this drive me crazy. i usually find myself starting to do it after i've been playing for a bit and i guess my thumb just starts getting lazy and moving a smidge to the side. i usually take a break when it happens so i dont end up shopping online for a new tv lol.

MareVitals

• Rep: -38
« Reply #429 on: August 19, 2020, 08:00:15 AM »
bombing hills to hit something ridiculous was my favorite part about the skate games. I would pay money to have the map from skate 1 in this game.
Those hills and just a better sense of momentum would be awesome in this game. Would love to put those reverts to the test. Maybe I'm missing something but is there a way to push harder/faster in this game?

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #430 on: August 19, 2020, 08:15:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Separate gripe, if they have grimple stix decks why can't I get an eagle deck? Also some shaped decks would be sick, like in session.
[close]

yeah i've popped a few Anti hero and Krooked decks in there, you checked out mod.io?  Mostly dogshit decks as gamers are fuckin' goons but there's some good ones.  if I get time, i'll blast thru a few sick ones.

The no shaped boards thing sucks.  I had shaped boards in an early version, dunno what happened to them.  I had a Cab long dragon with Red slime balls, was fuckin sick as shit.

Also, have they done a cheeky update?  Felt way easier to get into nose and tail slides last night.  Or maybe i'm just fuckin' killing it.

I only have it on console, I bought it on steam hoping I could use it on Nvidia GeForce now, but that didn't pan out so I eventually just got a refund and played session until skater xl came out on PS4. Hopefully with the next update we can get some better decks and some shapes. I loved that session has so much shit I have in real life, Roger shirts and no comply shirts and the heroin curbcrusher and egg decks made me so happy.

I feel like the dudes that made session are full on skate nerds while the dudes that made skater xl are the dudes that tell you how much they used to skate until they got a car.

That being said I really enjoy both and it makes for a great way to pass a rainy day. Fuck, I even bought a switch so I could play skater xl, but that shit got pushed back.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #431 on: August 19, 2020, 09:02:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://skaterxl.mod.io/board-utilities
I'm using this mod right now and there are tons of shapes available.

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #432 on: August 19, 2020, 10:09:12 AM »
This game is sick but I keep running into some annoying issues. Has anyone ran into any issues with the replay mode ? I spent nearly 2 hours getting a specific clip and editing it for my first time with keynotes. Now whenever I try to open that clip it sort of just freezes and doesn't let me replay the clip no matter what.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #433 on: August 19, 2020, 10:11:13 AM »
This game is sick but I keep running into some annoying issues. Has anyone ran into any issues with the replay mode ? I spent nearly 2 hours getting a specific clip and editing it for my first time with keynotes. Now whenever I try to open that clip it sort of just freezes and doesn't let me replay the clip no matter what.

yea this annoyed the shit out of me...took an hour to get a clip trimmed right and saved.  Still have fun with the game tho

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #434 on: August 19, 2020, 11:04:21 AM »
game still needs updates pretty bad. transition skating still barely works. it's still fun but i'd take updates on the physics over any fancy customization tools or levels, since these can be modded in easily.

this and session still have one big problem that is just traversing the levels on board is very wonky and unenjoyable. there's also plenty places in the school and la lvls where collision detection sucks and you can't really grind some stuff because of it or the game will think your skater goes up transition and will magnetically change the skaters angle mid air. powerslides are much appreciated and you can do some cool stuff with them, like little 360s over speed bumps, but you come to too hard of a stop even down a hill, and since you still don't really gain any momentum going downhill or into a bank they just make you stop too soon and it doesn't feel like bombing a hill at all. no complies and wallies would be sick too, as would be the ability to early grab off stuff.

tbh the game hasn't changed much at all since a year or so. it plays almost the same since it came into early access and i thought there would be more to it than a lose sandbox with ok physics and missing like 20% of all possible tricks on flat. i feel like they ran into some sort of roadblock about a year ago and spent too much time licensing skaters and do mocap instead of making the game play better.

both these games are a 6-7/10 for me so far. but skater xl is honestly too devoid of actual content and still too unpolished to be fully released imo.

it must be super hard to program the physics right for stuff like wallrides and transition in the context of the respective engines the devs chose or their actual abilities to code. it's actually baffling to me that both games have no way to proper wallie or wallride. as much as i appreciate the games that they do their own thing with the controls, skate 2 at least got all that done more than ten years ago. at this point i have exhausted most tricks i could do in both games but there is nothing to explore and cruising around on the board just sucks and is so glitched out in both games it's a bit frustrating.

MareVitals

• Rep: -38
« Reply #435 on: August 19, 2020, 11:14:19 AM »
game still needs updates pretty bad. transition skating still barely works. it's still fun but i'd take updates on the physics over any fancy customization tools or levels, since these can be modded in easily.

this and session still have one big problem that is just traversing the levels on board is very wonky and unenjoyable. there's also plenty places in the school and la lvls where collision detection sucks and you can't really grind some stuff because of it or the game will think your skater goes up transition and will magnetically change the skaters angle mid air. powerslides are much appreciated and you can do some cool stuff with them, like little 360s over speed bumps, but you come to too hard of a stop even down a hill, and since you still don't really gain any momentum going downhill or into a bank they just make you stop too soon and it doesn't feel like bombing a hill at all. no complies and wallies would be sick too, as would be the ability to early grab off stuff.

tbh the game hasn't changed much at all since a year or so. it plays almost the same since it came into early access and i thought there would be more to it than a lose sandbox with ok physics and missing like 20% of all possible tricks on flat. i feel like they ran into some sort of roadblock about a year ago and spent too much time licensing skaters and do mocap instead of making the game play better.

both these games are a 6-7/10 for me so far. but skater xl is honestly too devoid of actual content and still too unpolished to be fully released imo.

it must be super hard to program the physics right for stuff like wallrides and transition in the context of the respective engines the devs chose or their actual abilities to code. it's actually baffling to me that both games have no way to proper wallie or wallride. as much as i appreciate the games that they do their own thing with the controls, skate 2 at least got all that done more than ten years ago. at this point i have exhausted most tricks i could do in both games but there is nothing to explore and cruising around on the board just sucks and is so glitched out in both games it's a bit frustrating.
I agree, both are nowhere near done. The fact XL claims 1.0 concerns me because I'm not sure how much more they will actually add. I think they were just rushing to be first to market which is not a bad business decision but they still have to deliver if they want any staying power. I'm on console so I don't have access to all the mods people are praising. Feels pretty empty for $40 without the ability to access the mod content

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #436 on: August 19, 2020, 12:14:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I agree, both are nowhere near done. The fact XL claims 1.0 concerns me because I'm not sure how much more they will actually add. I think they were just rushing to be first to market which is not a bad business decision but they still have to deliver if they want any staying power. I'm on console so I don't have access to all the mods people are praising. Feels pretty empty for $40 without the ability to access the mod content
I have over 200 hours of the PC version since beta and paid 20. I was so happy witht he purchase I was gonna get it for my ps4 on launch just to support but they definitely are robbing the console players hard with that 40 dollar price tag for the current vanilla build

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #437 on: August 19, 2020, 01:03:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
I have over 200 hours of the PC version since beta and paid 20. I was so happy witht he purchase I was gonna get it for my ps4 on launch just to support but they definitely are robbing the console players hard with that 40 dollar price tag for the current vanilla build

yeah i'm ok with having paid 20 quid and i knew i was buying early access with possibility of the whole project failing. i'd never pay 40 for this game in this state, especially not if i can't mod in more content if it is that sparse and rushed on that. granted i played it a lot, but half my playtime is probably consisting of waiting for a pizza to be done and passing the time fucking around in it for ten minute bursts. same with session. i probably rack up an hour of playtime everyday because i play it waiting for coffee to be done or something like that and i do that a few times each day or night. but i get pretty bored after 15 minutes or so. i tried getting into the video editor but it's also glitchy as fuck in terms of collision detection and i find it hard to find nice angles on lines, never mind the fact that its usage is totally obtuse imo.

hope future updates fix and add some things at least before the funds dry up at some point because it's just not skate 4 and i can't see many non skaters getting into this game and buying it with this lack of polish and the bland look.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #438 on: August 19, 2020, 01:33:56 PM »
If the game went for 20, I wouldn’t have gotten it...everyone who’s bought video games since the 80s knows that these cost sorta determines how good a game might be...60 is standard for a lot of new games, A new game at 20 reeks of shit

It’s not quite a 20 game probably closer to 35

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #439 on: August 19, 2020, 02:56:24 PM »
thing is they shouldn't have released it as finished for full price, but stayed in early access some more. but they clearly wanted to stick to the schedule. there's literally nothing in the full release that couldn't be modded in before on pc. it looks slightly nicer in terms of shaders and runs a bit better but that's pretty much it. and you still have to mod the really cool stuff in. for double the price now you get two three glitchy new levels with one having a few famous spots but they are totally lifeless still, one other being a megaramp. animations have changed only subtly and you can choose a few famous skaters as skins for your character or choose clothes and decks that mostly look horrible with a few exceptions. most of the shoes suck, too. so you have to mod it in unless you're on console where this isn't possible.

what is still like beta/ea is basically everything else. basically the same as day one, except you can grab your board, but only if your wheels leave the ground. and you can sort of powerslide which doesn't really work if you want to control your speed. and the skater faces where he goes instead of looking like going fakie when going switch and you have this weird video editor that acts like a ghost, not a real filmer. a lot of stuff in the full release was actually done by modders that are now part of the team. i'm not trying to dunk on the devs. but this game has only seen incremental progress in almost two years.

i still hope it will eventually bloom into a really good game, but i feel like i am having fun because i skate and i make the game work, if i wouldn't skate i probably wouldn't bother with this game because probably wouldn't know what to do and compared to a game of skate it's all a little bit more random control wise, as if you are at the mercy of the level designer to let you grind. as dumb as it is that thps has a grind button, the level designers would at least make sure you could grind what you wanted to grind. in skater xl(and session) there's a lot of spots that look like you are supposed to do a grind but the coding is botched and you can't really do it because you fall through the obstacle or can't lock in or get stuck on texture seams. even if i get the controls down to an artform, the coding in both these games is so shoddy that some spots are almost unskatable, although the level designers clearly put them there to be skated and not just as scenery.

some curbs in skater xl will make you fling full speed ahead at landing after doing a fairly slow grind. or how many grinds look like you actually roll on the curb or how it is hard to just fifty fifty because if your front truck hits the ledge first your character will do a pretend nosegrind or go straight into willy. which is all managable if you try to be more precise, but are things i wished they would have already patched out for the full release. just tons of little annoyances that add up to the game feeling more like it barely makes the sum of its parts but hasn't really made the connection yet.

alright i'm done ranting long ass posts, still hope everyone has fun. this game could be so much more though and my guess is feature creep and then money issues held back development. now they have to sell it for full price so they can work one or two years on making it better because ea pricing won't pay the bills. i actually hope it pays out.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #440 on: August 19, 2020, 04:35:50 PM »
Yea I get it ...I am on another forum for gran Turismo sport and people are always tearing that game a new asshole, mainly for how real it actually simulates reality

Thing with Sony is they are in no correspondence with developers and push timetables when shit isn’t done

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #441 on: August 19, 2020, 06:40:47 PM »
If the game went for 20, I wouldn’t have gotten it...everyone who’s bought video games since the 80s knows that these cost sorta determines how good a game might be...60 is standard for a lot of new games, A new game at 20 reeks of shit

You don't play indies ever?
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #442 on: August 19, 2020, 09:46:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You don't play indies ever?

Nah not enough time to play every new video games...I gotta stick to shit in the ps store for now

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #443 on: August 19, 2020, 11:23:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
https://skaterxl.mod.io/board-utilities
I'm using this mod right now and there are tons of shapes available.

Oh shit!  Thanks!  Looks like that got an update.

vhsfisheye

« Reply #444 on: August 21, 2020, 11:49:27 PM »
Made a little something. This game is pure gold with all the mods for PC.

https://streamable.com/mishss

Big fire! loved the music choice

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #445 on: August 22, 2020, 07:37:12 AM »
The revert challenge at the court house is fucked.

I know why it won't register a switch nose Manny. There's no such thing.

It's Fakie!!!
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #446 on: August 22, 2020, 11:41:03 AM »
Downloading this now, going to try it out tonight

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #447 on: August 23, 2020, 05:50:25 PM »
i fucked around with the editor and then another editor and made an edit that i added to reddit. i mean youtube.

http://youtu.be/LMTvK7HMXS8

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #448 on: August 23, 2020, 09:00:33 PM »
so jealous of yall on pc mods.

my threads baby! i need that drip. my friend came over to play and said my character looked like micky papa. hes on a time out for that

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #449 on: August 24, 2020, 03:59:33 AM »
so jealous of yall on pc mods.

my threads baby! i need that drip. my friend came over to play and said my character looked like micky papa. hes on a time out for that

LOOOOOOOL. But yeah the clothing/deck options are ass, cosmetics are always a huge part of games for me. I was beyond disappointed to see the one pair of Vans is Kwalks.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?