Author Topic: New Skate Game! Skater XL  (Read 75180 times)

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: New Skate Game! Skater XL
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2020, 11:18:40 AM »
Seems like we'll finally have agame with transition / coping mechanics that looks good and realistic
EA Skate was terrible at this

Ghostrider

• Rep: 4
« Reply #151 on: May 27, 2020, 02:11:52 PM »
Is there any info about what the controls are going to be like on consoles?
Wish it to be similar to EA Skate

foureyedjim

« Reply #152 on: May 27, 2020, 02:43:40 PM »
ftp://

You can only play this game with a controller.  Console controls probably won’t change.  Session, the other skate game had an option for EA skate controls

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #153 on: May 27, 2020, 08:13:49 PM »

Ive played the early access for about 20 hours or so and I love it. Much more difficult than skate but very satisfying to land stuff and you can be much more nuanced with how you flip your tricks

Basically you have one stick to pop/scoop one leg and another stick to flick. You can kinda turn with the sticks but you mostly turn (and rotate your body) with the triggers. Grinds are similar compared to skate there’s just the added complexity of using two sticks to lean/position your grinds instead of one.

Turning with the triggers had me skeptical but it actually works out pretty well overall. It’s a more evolved, more difficult control scheme but once your unlearn your muscle memory from playing skate you start to appreciate the amount of control you have

Ghostrider

« Reply #154 on: May 27, 2020, 11:49:21 PM »
ftp://
Expand Quote
[close]

You can only play this game with a controller.  Console controls probably won’t change.  Session, the other skate game had an option for EA skate controls

By the way did I get it right that out of the two Skater XL is the better option?

Ghostrider

« Reply #155 on: May 27, 2020, 11:51:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ive played the early access for about 20 hours or so and I love it. Much more difficult than skate but very satisfying to land stuff and you can be much more nuanced with how you flip your tricks

Basically you have one stick to pop/scoop one leg and another stick to flick. You can kinda turn with the sticks but you mostly turn (and rotate your body) with the triggers. Grinds are similar compared to skate there’s just the added complexity of using two sticks to lean/position your grinds instead of one.

Turning with the triggers had me skeptical but it actually works out pretty well overall. It’s a more evolved, more difficult control scheme but once your unlearn your muscle memory from playing skate you start to appreciate the amount of control you have

Sounds great to me. Can't wait to be filming realistic profiles like I used to back in all three parts of EA skate.
Still deciding if I should get it on PS4 of Switch though.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #156 on: May 28, 2020, 04:05:58 AM »
new update is pretty good. i switched back from session since i got a bit bored by it and it's cool to skate the miniramp and learn backlips on it. controls have been tweaked a bit since the last time i played and i still think manuals still look and feel worse than in session imo but it's fun and looks promising for the full release.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #157 on: June 02, 2020, 01:54:08 AM »
What is the create a skater like in terms of appearance customisation? Ie can I create Male and female skaters and customise their look and outfits?
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #158 on: June 02, 2020, 03:58:41 AM »
not yet, hope that you can in the full release though. it's just the default skater with a few colors for hoodies, pants and shoes to choose as for the beta.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #159 on: June 02, 2020, 08:51:38 AM »
What is the create a skater like in terms of appearance customisation? Ie can I create Male and female skaters and customise their look and outfits?

You can in the full release on July 7th. For the current beta it's just a couple clothing options unless you wanna mess with PC mods, where you can do just about anything, but takes work to get set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNz4LJAY4Fc

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #160 on: June 04, 2020, 04:59:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You can in the full release on July 7th. For the current beta it's just a couple clothing options unless you wanna mess with PC mods, where you can do just about anything, but takes work to get set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNz4LJAY4Fc

Thanks a lot for the response and vid. I’m console / handheld only so I’ll just be playing the PS4 full release.

At least that vid showed one female character although she was dressed rather generically. I’m hoping there are decent options for customisation all around and not just different logos on a handful of hoodies.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #161 on: June 05, 2020, 04:37:37 PM »

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #162 on: June 07, 2020, 12:07:05 PM »
I know it's a small detail but I like how you can see wax on ledges. I can wait a few more weeks if it means the 1.0 release is as crispy as possible

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #163 on: June 14, 2020, 06:08:33 PM »

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2020, 06:17:35 PM »
The Switch version is looking rough, but I might still consider getting it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDI9MwunFBc

masturskater

• Rep: 21
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #165 on: June 15, 2020, 05:54:21 AM »
Indeed looking rough. Whoever's playing doesn't do too great of a job making it look interesting either. Bummed that the initial Switch trailer must have been from the PC build. I'll definitely get it though since it'll still be the best handheld skate game (i hope?)

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #166 on: June 15, 2020, 07:43:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Indeed looking rough. Whoever's playing doesn't do too great of a job making it look interesting either. Bummed that the initial Switch trailer must have been from the PC build. I'll definitely get it though since it'll still be the best handheld skate game (i hope?)

I can live with the terrible textures, although I do hope they improve them, but as long as the gameplay itself feels the same as the PC version I'd be happy.

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #167 on: June 15, 2020, 09:51:31 AM »

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2020, 03:57:46 PM »
I preordered.  Really like the new school map, and I have a feeling that there will be several more updates to fine-tune the gameplay.

Only thing that I think Session has on it is impossibles.  Would also love to see no-comply's and boneless' and other street plants.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2020, 06:34:34 AM »
I've been playing it for the last hour or so.  Needs some work of course (still early access) but I'm liking it quite a bit. It's definitely better than Session(as it is now) imo. You can control how your tricks look more and it's also a lot smoother.
Can you pick up your board and walk around
 Or is it like Skate 1?
Dueces Bitch's

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #170 on: June 25, 2020, 08:44:12 AM »
Expand Quote
I've been playing it for the last hour or so.  Needs some work of course (still early access) but I'm liking it quite a bit. It's definitely better than Session(as it is now) imo. You can control how your tricks look more and it's also a lot smoother.
[close]
 Or is it like Skate 1?

not yet, think this will evt be in the full release. you can do that in session though.

i've been coming back to skater xl after playing a ton of session. i have like 150 hours in each game and that is just from playing in 15-20 min bursts. i play these games while waiting for dinner to be done or something like that.

i can't even decide which one i like more. i can't play both at the same time though, fucks up my muscle memory. i need to adjust to the controls everytime i switch. just steering/turning sucks in both games though, which is a shame. i'd also like some force feedback from different grounds and grinds and slides.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2020, 09:01:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
 Or is it like Skate 1?
[close]

not yet, think this will evt be in the full release. you can do that in session though.

i've been coming back to skater xl after playing a ton of session. i have like 150 hours in each game and that is just from playing in 15-20 min bursts. i play these games while waiting for dinner to be done or something like that.

i can't even decide which one i like more. i can't play both at the same time though, fucks up my muscle memory. i need to adjust to the controls everytime i switch. just steering/turning sucks in both games though, which is a shame. i'd also like some force feedback from different grounds and grinds and slides.
What all these skate game’s should have as an option is skate controls or their own controls.

As far as the new controls it seems very robotic and nonlinear when in comparison to skate controls the turning part bums me out.
Dueces Bitch's

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2020, 11:16:40 AM »

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2020, 05:45:23 PM »
https://youtu.be/hNV14LE8LAE
The "Streets" map looks great! I hope this means community made maps will be available to access on console.

masturskater

• Rep: 21
« Reply #174 on: June 30, 2020, 06:29:25 PM »
Expand Quote
The "Streets" map looks great! I hope this means community made maps will be available to access on console.
damn, i'll have to scope these out. I've played the Hudland one a bunch. it's a fun one.

what mods is everyone using? I'm not using any at the moment and have been too lazy to look into it. I have the mod manager I've been having trouble downloading and installing any good mods.

dpelevator

• Rep: 6
« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2020, 12:21:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
damn, i'll have to scope these out. I've played the Hudland one a bunch. it's a fun one.

what mods is everyone using? I'm not using any at the moment and have been too lazy to look into it. I have the mod manager I've been having trouble downloading and installing any good mods.

I dont think you need the mod manager anymore if you switch to the beta version of the game. I could be misunderstanding. But when I switched and got the skater customizer, map selector and all that and didnt need the mod manager anymore.

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2020, 11:48:11 AM »

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #177 on: July 16, 2020, 02:17:38 PM »
cool
mArLeY

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #178 on: July 21, 2020, 10:36:05 AM »

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
« Reply #179 on: July 21, 2020, 12:23:28 PM »
wow, the lip skating looks way better now. i'm stoked to get this shit next week
:) I must have been tripping last night