Author Topic: New Skate Game! Skater XL  (Read 75278 times)

ek27

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: New Skate Game! Skater XL
« Reply #210 on: July 28, 2020, 04:01:07 PM »
Expand Quote
What was kicking my ass at first was that you don’t have to flick the right stick up (regular foot) to do an Ollie. You just hold the stick down and let go and it will do an Ollie.
[close]

Does this concept pretty much force you to always pop out of noseslides and crooks?

No, you can just kinda 'bump' out by clicking in the stick of the side you want to pop out on.  Feels super cool.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #211 on: July 28, 2020, 04:09:14 PM »
Waiting on ups ... been "out for delivery" for 9 hours

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #212 on: July 28, 2020, 04:14:46 PM »
Can you upload your own music to it like EA Skate?  So you don’t have to listen to whatever crap they have on it?

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #213 on: July 28, 2020, 04:21:44 PM »
Not being able to get off your board and walk around kind of sucks. I hope that can be updated.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #214 on: July 28, 2020, 04:31:06 PM »
How the hell is the ghost getting so much speed with such little run up on these challenges?

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #215 on: July 28, 2020, 04:38:10 PM »
I still feel like the stick sensitivity is a little too high. Oddly enough it’s too low when it come to starting a manual.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #216 on: July 28, 2020, 04:40:29 PM »
Not being able to get off your board and walk around kind of sucks. I hope that can be updated.

Doesn't bother me at all. You can zip around pretty quick with the spot marker, so running around would just be superfluous.

As people have said, grinding is the hardest part. I can't quite figure out how to crook consistently, and blunts/ noseblunts are stupid hard. I got a sketchy front noseblunt on a handrail, but they're definitely a work in progress.

Wallrides are not a thing at this point, I guess.

Saw Jamal Smith doing some cool stalls on transition in his stream. Next session I'm gonna figure out how that works. My passing attempts at transition stuff have been feeble so far.

It'd be cool if there was more songs, and if you could change the track.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #217 on: July 28, 2020, 05:59:13 PM »
Can you upload your own music to it like EA Skate?  So you don’t have to listen to whatever crap they have on it?

I don’t think you can (PS4) and you can’t skip songs or choose/negate any playlist. And scratch what I said about the soundtrack earlier, after a couple hours of gameplay I had to mute the music in the settings. Need some Muska Beats.

I still feel like the stick sensitivity is a little too high. Oddly enough it’s too low when it come to starting a manual.

Agreed. You gotta dip halfway down to start the manual, and once your in it’s locked as you can’t possibly scrape. Not trying to compare, but I loved the balance gradient in EA.Skate manuals.

Really wish you could wallride and slappy, I know there are mods for PC but it’d be nice to see it on console. Also would like to see more community maps on console. Also hats make you bald unless you’re Tom Asta, and the baggiest pants in the game are exclusive to Tiago. T-Shirt sleeves are cut pretty high, and there are only 4 skin tones, why not just include a skin tone gradient? My last grievance is that you cant 360 on flat, the spin mechanism starts hella slow.

Pickiness aside, this game is hella fun.

edit: Wish you could no comply, boneless, and early grab. Feel like it’d be a super easy addition to the game, control wise.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:06:41 AM by YungJugg »

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #218 on: July 28, 2020, 06:12:11 PM »
Really not feeling the controls, especially having to use the trigger buttons to turn. I have to unlearn everything I learned in Skate, which I mastered.

Rest seems fine, but I have a feeling this game is going to test my patience.

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 82
« Reply #219 on: July 28, 2020, 06:32:13 PM »
This shit sucks compared to Session... Really wish there was a demo or something I could of played before purchasing it... The fakie and switch make no sense. 

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #220 on: July 28, 2020, 06:53:31 PM »
Fun and very difficult

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #221 on: July 28, 2020, 07:00:01 PM »
This is the hardest fucking game I've ever played.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Mongey

• Rep: -5
« Reply #222 on: July 28, 2020, 07:05:42 PM »
Put a few hours in and did a bunch of challenges. They are good for learning the mechanics. My grind game is a little better.

My biggest annoyance is shuvs weirdly enough. When I want to do 180 I do 360. When I wanna do 360 i do 180. Haven’t really worked out the flick to get the one I want.

Digging the maps. Downtown does feel pretty empty though. Allot of empty space.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #223 on: July 28, 2020, 07:10:31 PM »
^ same.

for one of the challenges i had to do a varial flip BS 5-0 and i keep doing a laser flip.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #224 on: July 28, 2020, 07:18:27 PM »
Got it first thing this morning, put like an hour in before work and I’m figuring it out pretty decent but FUCK grinds are hard to hold. I thought I liked Session more but the more I’ve been playing XL the more I’m liking it.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Glurmpz

« Reply #225 on: July 28, 2020, 08:14:16 PM »
Just played it for a while at a friend's house. The spots look great but the skating/motion isn't so hot. Not feeling the controls at all.

I'm just gonna wait for SKATE 4 cause' I don't even own a console anyway. Based off my experience tonight I'd say even SKATE 3 is still superior to this.   
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 10:33:01 PM by Glurmpz »

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #226 on: July 28, 2020, 08:15:31 PM »
This game is quite fun so far. Hard as fuck but I like the challenge, reminds me of when Skate first came out. Looks pretty floaty but doesnt feel as floaty while playing. 360 spins look awkward as hell right now.

Soundtrack has a good amount songs from classic skate parts, got me feeling nostalgic. Love the 411vm gear too.
Had to go back and watch Janoskis Transworld part because of the soundtrack.

Broken_Ankle

• Rep: -4
« Reply #227 on: July 28, 2020, 08:49:48 PM »
For those who don’t know already- to revert you have to either point the two analog sticks toward each other or opposite one another and hold R2 or L2 (ps4) depending on which way you want to revert.

Surprised they didn’t teach that in the tutorial since I find that pretty essential in a skateboard video game.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #228 on: July 28, 2020, 09:35:16 PM »
Wow this game is challenging for sure. I spent a couple hours today trying to figure it out and just barely got the hang of basic flip tricks. I'm loving it so far. Can't wait to see a clips thread on here

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #229 on: July 28, 2020, 09:51:10 PM »
This game is fucking amazing. You have to really work your ass off to get a decent trick but it's all possible to do almost anything in a good looking way. I played skate 3 religiously but the tricks always looked the same. I did 10 different switch lipslides on the Jkwon handrail and they all had different and realistic styles to them. Feels like relearning Skate all over again but 1000x harder, easy to lose your mind trying shit

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #230 on: July 29, 2020, 07:46:07 AM »
Kinda getting used to the controls, had some pretty good tricks this morning. My back smiths and nollie crooks are looking real good.

Still... having to use the trigger buttons to turn pisses me off.

Also I wish the create-a-skater was more detailed.

I feel like this is a work in progress and patches will be available in the future.

I like it more than I did yesterday.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #231 on: July 29, 2020, 08:19:48 AM »
Picking this up after work, pretty excited.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #232 on: July 29, 2020, 08:40:28 AM »
Played for a couple hours last night and thought it was amazing only complaint is the tutorial doesn’t let you switch to goofy.

I did some crazy ass tony hawk pro skater tricks that I’ve never done in skate3 ...I did a fucking double 360 hardflip with tiago !?!? I laughed for a min

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #233 on: July 29, 2020, 09:55:29 AM »
Kinda getting used to the controls, had some pretty good tricks this morning. My back smiths and nollie crooks are looking real good.

Still... having to use the trigger buttons to turn pisses me off.

Also I wish the create-a-skater was more detailed.

I feel like this is a work in progress and patches will be available in the future.

I like it more than I did yesterday.

This is the biggest adjustment for me as well though it does seem like the only decent option given the control scheme of each stick being a foot

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #234 on: July 29, 2020, 10:01:03 AM »
Picked it up as well. Might as well throw some money at those developers that spend so much time making this game. But it's very much a sim game. On one side, you have THPS and what used to be the other side would be SKATE. Now Skate XL just sent the bench mark on how sim you can get. Performing tricks and doing stuff just take so much time (for now) but even like SKATE, I am sure everyone is going to get the flow of things.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Glurmpz

« Reply #235 on: July 29, 2020, 10:12:00 AM »
Picked it up as well. Might as well throw some money at those developers that spend so much time making this game. But it's very much a sim game. On one side, you have THPS and what used to be the other side would be SKATE. Now Skate XL just sent the bench mark on how sim you can get. Performing tricks and doing stuff just take so much time (for now) but even like SKATE, I am sure everyone is going to get the flow of things.

Really? I only played for a bit but I'd say Skate 3's skating was more realistic, hands down. This one has you clearing Wallenberg with 2 lazy pushes while you do a 720 double hardflip.

That being said - the 3 of us only played for an hour and not one of us did a simple, clean ollie. Hard to make a final call on anything without getting comfortable with the controls.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 10:23:47 AM by Glurmpz »

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #236 on: July 29, 2020, 10:24:05 AM »
Are you telling me that you don't have your 720 double hardflips on lock in real life?

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #237 on: July 29, 2020, 10:27:53 AM »

I've been playing Skater XL since it's launch on Steam, it was frustrating for about the first week or two but afterwards it became easy. It just requires a little patience at first. All the amazing edits players have put out really showcase what's possible once you get a hang of the controls.

I prefer Skater XL over Session but I'm glad I supported and own both games because having to wait an entire decade for a big company like EA to announce a new Skate game is ridiculous.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #238 on: July 29, 2020, 10:31:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Really? I only played for a bit but I'd say Skate 3's skating was more realistic, hands down. This one has you clearing Wallenberg with 2 lazy pushes while you do a 720 double hardflip.

That being said - the 3 of us only played for an hour and not one of us did a simple, clean ollie. Hard to make a final call on anything without getting comfortable with the controls.

It’s arguably more realistic that it lets you try any trick rather than confine you to 180/360 rotations. I do wish Wallenburg was a lil more challenging though.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #239 on: July 29, 2020, 10:56:54 AM »
Are you telling me that you don't have your 720 double hardflips on lock in real life?

Yoo I did a 1080 shove it on the mega ramp ...shit was too much lolz

For music I just play Spotify playlists and turn the music off in the game