Author Topic: New Skate Game! Skater XL  (Read 75228 times)

Glurmpz

Re: New Skate Game! Skater XL
« Reply #240 on: July 29, 2020, 11:01:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Picked it up as well. Might as well throw some money at those developers that spend so much time making this game. But it's very much a sim game. On one side, you have THPS and what used to be the other side would be SKATE. Now Skate XL just sent the bench mark on how sim you can get. Performing tricks and doing stuff just take so much time (for now) but even like SKATE, I am sure everyone is going to get the flow of things.
[close]

Really? I only played for a bit but I'd say Skate 3's skating was more realistic, hands down. This one has you clearing Wallenberg with 2 lazy pushes while you do a 720 double hardflip.

That being said - the 3 of us only played for an hour and not one of us did a simple, clean ollie. Hard to make a final call on anything without getting comfortable with the controls.
[close]

It’s arguably more realistic that it lets you try any trick rather than confine you to 180/360 rotations. I do wish Wallenburg was a lil more challenging though.

I'm not following you there... what do you mean confining to 180/360 rotations?

beatifk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #241 on: July 29, 2020, 11:12:03 AM »
This game is dope. I only played it for about 30 mins as I drank my coffee this morning, but I definitely had a real "oh shit" moment when I realized that you can shift the the position of your front foot on the board to do a "high" ollie. That made me kinda get the whole thing right then an there.

Out of boredom I read a few reviews people posted online on google or whatever and a lot of people are complaining that there's no story, or challenges, or tasks, or all that other shit. Or that the menus are too bare bones. Or that there's not enough gear to customize the skaters. Or that the world isn't "alive" because there's no cars or pedestrians or other bullshit.

Who cares about all of that?

I'm so fucking glad I don't need to listen to Reda's stupid commentary all the time.

I'm glad I don't have to race down a stupid ditch. Or do ridiculous hall of meat challenges.

I'm glad I don't get hit by a car when I try a trick or some stupid idiotic NPC is in the way of a ledge I want to get to.

Tony Hawk and Skate have all the big name skaters and brands. Who cares, it's not important. These guys got what they could for gear, and I like the 4 skaters in this game a lot. Tiago and Westgate are 2 of my favorites of all time, and I hope they get paid for this. And those other 2 guys are pretty good too.

This game reminds me of Minecraft, y'know, the most popular video game (maybe) of all time, ever heard of it? There's no menu, no tutorial, the game just starts and doesn't tell you what to do. And it's super fun. Use your fucking brain, what a concept.

The game I just finished before I got this was GTA V, and you know what?, that game sucks. It cost $140 million to make all those "cool" menus. And to make every single one of the 600+ vehicles customizable. The story is boring. The voice acting is pretty good, I'll give it that, but it's not really important to the game play. And it takes forever to play the fucking thing. If I never play a game that takes me 30+ hours to play through again, I'll be happy.

Granted, just before that, I played Horizon Zero Dawn for 80+ hours and loved every minute of it, but that's because the game was fun.

Skater XL is fun. "Here's a skateboard, use your brain and figure it out". That's cool.

I haven't bought a game on launch day since maybe Final Fantasy VII, the original playstation version, but I knew I had to get this right away.

And I hope the developers get a lot of people buying this game. To make anything independent of big bullshit companies these days is difficult, and I gotta say, these guys must love skateboarding and must be pretty fucking smart to make a video game, so, yeah, sure I'll give them $40, no problem.

I have a feeling they'll add more in time, but even if they don't, fine. Maybe they'll all move onto bigger and better things after, and good for them.

Great independent game, this is what skating is about, DIY, fucking love it.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #242 on: July 29, 2020, 11:24:40 AM »
This game is dope. I only played it for about 30 mins as I drank my coffee this morning, but I definitely had a real "oh shit" moment when I realized that you can shift the the position of your front foot on the board to do a "high" ollie. That made me kinda get the whole thing right then an there.

Out of boredom I read a few reviews people posted online on google or whatever and a lot of people are complaining that there's no story, or challenges, or tasks, or all that other shit. Or that the menus are too bare bones. Or that there's not enough gear to customize the skaters. Or that the world isn't "alive" because there's no cars or pedestrians or other bullshit.

I'm so fucking glad I don't need to listen to Reda's stupid commentary all the time.

I'm glad I don't have to race down a stupid ditch. Or do ridiculous hall of meat challenges.

I'm glad I don't get hit by a car when I try a trick or some stupid idiotic NPC is in the way of a ledge I want to get to.

Tony Hawk and Skate have all the big name skaters and brands. Who cares, it's not important. These guys got what they could for gear, and I like the 4 skaters in this game a lot. Tiago and Westgate are 2 of my favorites of all time, and I hope they get paid for this. And those other 2 guys are pretty good too.

This game reminds me of Minecraft, y'know, the most popular video game (maybe) of all time, ever heard of it? There's no menu, no tutorial, the game just starts and doesn't tell you what to do. And it's super fun. Use your fucking brain, what a concept.

The game I just finished before I got this was GTA V, and you know what?, that game sucks. It cost $140 million to make all those "cool" menus. And to make every single one of the 600+ vehicles customizable. The story is boring. The voice acting is pretty good, I'll give it that, but it's not really important to the game play. And it takes forever to play the fucking thing. If I never play a game that takes me 30+ hours to play through again, I'll be happy.

Granted, just before that, I played Horizon Zero Dawn for 80+ hours and loved every minute of it, but that's because the game was fun.

Skater XL is fun. "Here's a skateboard, use your brain and figure it out". That's cool.

I haven't bought a game on launch day since maybe Final Fantasy VII, the original playstation version, but I knew I had to get this right away.

And I hope the developers get a lot of people buying this game. To make anything independent of big bullshit companies these days is difficult, and I gotta say, these guys must love skateboarding and must be pretty fucking smart to make a video game, so, yeah, sure I'll give them $40, no problem.

I have a feeling they'll add more in time, but even if they don't, fine. Maybe they'll all move onto bigger and better things after, and good for them.

I’m the same everytime I replay skate 3 I’m irritated by getting hit by cars and people in the way of ledges...I also didn’t enjoy gta5. I waited till the game was 60% off before I got it.  Only game I bought on launch and finished it on platinum status was that New spider man ...it’s what a immersive game feels like to me

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #243 on: July 29, 2020, 11:41:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Picked it up as well. Might as well throw some money at those developers that spend so much time making this game. But it's very much a sim game. On one side, you have THPS and what used to be the other side would be SKATE. Now Skate XL just sent the bench mark on how sim you can get. Performing tricks and doing stuff just take so much time (for now) but even like SKATE, I am sure everyone is going to get the flow of things.
[close]

Really? I only played for a bit but I'd say Skate 3's skating was more realistic, hands down. This one has you clearing Wallenberg with 2 lazy pushes while you do a 720 double hardflip.

That being said - the 3 of us only played for an hour and not one of us did a simple, clean ollie. Hard to make a final call on anything without getting comfortable with the controls.
[close]

It’s arguably more realistic that it lets you try any trick rather than confine you to 180/360 rotations. I do wish Wallenburg was a lil more challenging though.
[close]

Maybe rotation was the wrong word, as you can spin however many times you want in Skate.

But a shuv for example, in Skate you can only do a shuv or a 360 shuv, which is limiting. Not that you see people flinging 540 flips irl too often (probably because it’s ugly), but it is more than possible.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #244 on: July 29, 2020, 12:10:49 PM »
I got it yesterday and have put about 3 hours in since.  Flip tricks are great, and are making more and more sense to me.

I don't know if it's because I was so used to Skate 3, and tried doing everything Mach 3 all the time, but the grinds are really giving me the business as others have noted.  Enjoying it so far save for the limited music, and lack of Wallrides and no complies.  The team behind it seems super passionate about skating so I think we'll get more.

It does suck though that I feel like a lot of brands blackballed this game.  I'd love more customization options.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #245 on: July 29, 2020, 12:45:27 PM »
Good to see bs tailslides are kicking my ass in video games just like in real life :)

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #246 on: July 29, 2020, 01:10:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The big difference between Skate 3 and Skater XL is that the Skate series tricks were all preprogrammed and you just used the controller to activate them where Skater XL is actually physics based and you're simply controlling the feet and manipulating the board. On paper that might not sound like much of a difference but it gives you much greater control on how you manipulate the board and is more realistic, even though maybe the speed/gap clearance settings aren't.

Speakr

• Rep: 61
« Reply #247 on: July 29, 2020, 01:32:14 PM »
Played it for a couple of hours, and it's great if you get the hang of it. Hardest part is unlearning steering with the left stick.

It does feel pretty empty tho. Would have liked some pedestrians of at least have the challenge trick locations visualized/marked in free skate, just so there's some movement.

Also, whoever came up with the skate 40,000 kilometer trophy can take a mean shinner. Those aren't even funny in racing games.

Glurmpz

« Reply #248 on: July 29, 2020, 01:43:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m the same everytime I replay skate 3 I’m irritated by getting hit by cars and people in the way of ledges...I also didn’t enjoy gta5. I waited till the game was 60% off before I got it.  Only game I bought on launch and finished it on platinum status was that New spider man ...it’s what a immersive game feels like to me

Then turn off pedestrians and traffic. Problem solved.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #249 on: July 29, 2020, 02:08:02 PM »

It does suck though that I feel like a lot of brands blackballed this game.  I'd love more customization options.

Curious as to why? Because of contracts with THPS and Skate 4?

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #250 on: July 29, 2020, 02:23:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Then turn off pedestrians and traffic. Problem solved.

Did not know I could do that ...shit

jamersonbass

« Reply #251 on: July 29, 2020, 02:36:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Curious as to why? Because of contracts with THPS and Skate 4?

I would assume.  It's apples and oranges when you compare an indie developers foray into the genre, vs something like NBA 2K or Live, where they both have deals with Nike, Adidas, etc.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #252 on: July 29, 2020, 05:04:50 PM »
Can I change my characters stance? I'm not a regular footed weirdo

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #253 on: July 29, 2020, 06:31:39 PM »

Yes in the character customization menu. You can change the pros stances too if you want.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #254 on: July 29, 2020, 06:32:06 PM »

Yeah just go into settings, its in there.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #255 on: July 29, 2020, 07:01:44 PM »
Ok good. I panicked and just started using Evan Smith  :P

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #256 on: July 29, 2020, 07:10:39 PM »
This game is so far from being a full priced product on a console.  I bought the demo on the PC, and i'm really enjoying it but I think it's dogshit to put it on console now, and might bite them in the ass as if i'm playing this on my Playstation & dont give a shit about being part of an alpha build, I dont want this half assed empty world with questionable physics & a general unfinished vibe. 

That said, i'm enjoying the new parks & the best fun is still just fucking around on a ledge, which is great.  Pretty crazy how many grind splines they left out of the game though.  Can't grind curbs, slappies are still a hack job and barely work on anything.  Pretty surprised the gameplay hasn't advanced at all since the beta to the 1.0, and doesn't really fill me with confidence.

And when i'm loading up to ollie I still do a weird half pop shuvit more times than i'd care to admit.  After 30 hours you'd think id have learnt how to keep my sticks straight.

foureyedjim

« Reply #257 on: July 29, 2020, 08:23:57 PM »
I'd love more customization options.

Just give me baggy pants and i'll be happy. 

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #258 on: July 29, 2020, 10:56:42 PM »
Don't have my own ps4 so I bought it 'for' my girlfriends little brother who is 18 and new to skating. Everytime he gets to play alone I come back and my dude has been transformed into a damn soundcloud rapper. Why did they include so many sweatpants and graphic grip options? Its gross.

Gameplay wise, I got the hang of it quick after doing challenges. Pretty bummed on the lack of diversity, its really just a collection of handrails. Annoying you cant really do grind trick grind combos. The transition doesnt work at all especially cause you are forced to do a trick out of any coping trick. The board flipping is too much, the kid keeps being like 'look what i did!' and it'll be a 540 inward heelflip 5050 nollie 360 hardflip out. I now am longing for an update and or the new skate game.
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

G raham

• Rep: -47
« Reply #259 on: July 30, 2020, 03:55:17 AM »
id kill for skater xl to have a mod where the arms perpetually stay by the skaters side thus makig every trick g as fuck
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #260 on: July 30, 2020, 05:17:58 AM »
Picked it up last night. Put in about 2 hours, woke up early today to get some in before work. Pretty addictive and challenging. Got a couple of clips I was psyched on but still have a lot to learn and a long way to go.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #261 on: July 30, 2020, 07:01:55 AM »
If you guys haven't already done them I highly recommend doing the challenges, did them last night and it taught me a ton of shit that the tutorial doesn't, mostly how to do 'high ollies' and how you can use that any time you pop into any trick from any stance.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #262 on: July 30, 2020, 07:16:51 AM »
I’ve got a few hours in on it now. So far the grinds are hard as fuck. Like I think I figure crooks out and it’s a willy or losi. Smiths and feebles are just by chance. It seems. Even a 50/50 is hard. Definitely need a grind tutorial.
But I’m having a lot of fun. It’s been fun finding spots and making a trick look good at the spot. Flip tricks aren’t as hard as I expected them. I still steer with the left stick. The super Ollie thing is kinda cool just wish it didn’t make stuff look so floaty.

I don’t understand how to trim and edit clips. I found the buttons that say trim etc but when I do I still have the entire video.

It kinda is a bummer you don’t have to hold manuals and grinds once your in you don’t have to balance. I ollied off this huge thing on the la map and it landed fine I was expecting there to be like impact like skate where you may wreck or speed has to be on point to carry out the land.  It kinda makes doing gnar shit not gnarly. Cause you’ll land that big Ollie and look floaty all the way down. Big rails? No need to balance. Ollie over the staples hubba no problem. I wish there was an option to turn gravity up a bit. Like Make the staples hubba harder. Make landing a big drop work like speed and landing straight important or something. Because it’s a dope sim then goes full on tony hawk with anything gnar. So tech stuff is the only thing that’s kinda difficult.  I mean game is fun I just wished it made drops slightly hard like in skate. Also if I fall off my board let me just start where I fell instead of teleporting to the marker. I marked it for a reason if I wanna go back I’ll hit the up button

But respect to skate xl for making a game when EA didn’t do shit for a decade aside ignore fans.

I also like just cruising around skating shit it’s what I did in skate it’s just more difficult now which is cool.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #263 on: July 30, 2020, 08:00:20 AM »
This Ollie, Manual, Backside Tail 180 Revert, Switch Nose Manual, Ollie challenge at the courthouse makes no sense.

Edit* nvm got it.

Now the next challenge is even more brutal lol
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:48:54 AM by Big Skatefase »

jamersonbass

« Reply #264 on: July 30, 2020, 09:37:57 AM »
This Ollie, Manual, Backside Tail 180 Revert, Switch Nose Manual, Ollie challenge at the courthouse makes no sense.

Edit* nvm got it.

Now the next challenge is even more brutal lol

I've been struggling on that one...

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #265 on: July 30, 2020, 10:04:23 AM »
got it last night, put a couple hours in so far. really challenging. i cant stop doing nollie pop shuvits on accident and its driving me nuts lol. trim button on the replay doesnt seem to work either.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #266 on: July 30, 2020, 10:06:24 AM »
https://www.twitch.tv/dreamspa_inc/schedule
Gonna be streaming it tonight at 6-8pm CT if anyone is curious. Will be playing with mods for realistic physics. Might range from 2 ppl to no one watching so get ready for awkwardness.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #267 on: July 30, 2020, 10:06:56 AM »
already stacking clips . Shit the hardest thing for me is learning the camera angles in the replay editor

https://streamable.com/lv60q9
https://streamable.com/xthizv

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #268 on: July 30, 2020, 10:28:40 AM »
Is there any way to change the default skate view besides just changing to the other shoulder? Would really prefer a zoomed-out and higher view point angle

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #269 on: July 30, 2020, 10:30:53 AM »
I’ve got a few hours in on it now. So far the grinds are hard as fuck. Like I think I figure crooks out and it’s a willy or losi. Smiths and feebles are just by chance. It seems. Even a 50/50 is hard. Definitely need a grind tutorial.
But I’m having a lot of fun. It’s been fun finding spots and making a trick look good at the spot. Flip tricks aren’t as hard as I expected them. I still steer with the left stick. The super Ollie thing is kinda cool just wish it didn’t make stuff look so floaty.

I don’t understand how to trim and edit clips. I found the buttons that say trim etc but when I do I still have the entire video.

It kinda is a bummer you don’t have to hold manuals and grinds once your in you don’t have to balance. I ollied off this huge thing on the la map and it landed fine I was expecting there to be like impact like skate where you may wreck or speed has to be on point to carry out the land.  It kinda makes doing gnar shit not gnarly. Cause you’ll land that big Ollie and look floaty all the way down. Big rails? No need to balance. Ollie over the staples hubba no problem. I wish there was an option to turn gravity up a bit. Like Make the staples hubba harder. Make landing a big drop work like speed and landing straight important or something. Because it’s a dope sim then goes full on tony hawk with anything gnar. So tech stuff is the only thing that’s kinda difficult.  I mean game is fun I just wished it made drops slightly hard like in skate. Also if I fall off my board let me just start where I fell instead of teleporting to the marker. I marked it for a reason if I wanna go back I’ll hit the up button

But respect to skate xl for making a game when EA didn’t do shit for a decade aside ignore fans.

I also like just cruising around skating shit it’s what I did in skate it’s just more difficult now which is cool.

It's not a tutorial per-se but there's grind challenges that show then challenge you how to do specific grinds on certain objects