Author Topic: New Skate Game! Skater XL  (Read 75418 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
Re: New Skate Game! Skater XL
« Reply #270 on: July 30, 2020, 10:34:50 AM »
Picked it up yesterday. I feel like they still have some polishing to do that'll hopefully come with some updates but I'm having a good time. It's pretty hard but if you played Session then the controls sorta translate.

I hope this doesn't get flagged for the background music but I filmed a couple lines at a ledge in the first level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-KukVoDxwo

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #271 on: July 30, 2020, 11:18:29 AM »
The reverts have helped me a lot. They're motherfucking frustrating but look sick when you get em right.

This video also helped:
http://youtu.be/Ohyuvu0XFh0
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #272 on: July 30, 2020, 11:51:17 AM »
SKATER XL SUX
mArLeY

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #273 on: July 30, 2020, 02:07:36 PM »
Doing basic ledge trick lines feels so good when done properly. The BS nosegrind pop outs (click joystick) are so damn clean. Try a front shuv back nosegrind pop out and tell me you dont like this game. If you dont like this game you either have no patience or just suck at it tbh.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #274 on: July 30, 2020, 02:28:05 PM »
Swongo looks so purposeful and well done in this game.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1287
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #275 on: July 30, 2020, 03:23:33 PM »
If anyone wants to watch gameplay and shoot the shit, I will be streaming in 40 minutes.
www.twitch.tv/dreamspa_inc

Broken_Ankle

• Rep: -4
« Reply #276 on: July 30, 2020, 03:55:21 PM »
Anybody having this problem? -

I tried saving a couple of clips and then after a while I couldn’t view them anymore and it says not enough storage space (which is bullshit because I checked my ps4 storage and there is plenty of storage left plus an external hard drive.) I then restarted the game and my “saved character” went back to the original male default skater.

Tuff Lover

• Rep: 4
« Reply #277 on: July 30, 2020, 04:00:06 PM »
Would be nice if they had a demo version to see check it out. I'm notgoing to shell out $40 for something i might not. Into at all

AlexOlsonsDashiki

• Rep: 39
« Reply #278 on: July 30, 2020, 04:55:43 PM »
If anyone wants to watch gameplay and shoot the shit, I will be streaming in 40 minutes.

whered you get your glasses?
Every time the McRib comes out I buy it. I don't even like the damn things.

Dr Waffles

• Rep: 15
« Reply #279 on: July 30, 2020, 05:02:22 PM »
I love getting ripped and playing this. I have so many random clips saved on my computer, I'll eventually make some sort of edit.

https://streamable.com/mrbjh3
https://streamable.com/3aggcm
In 5 years skateboarding will be dirtbiking

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #280 on: July 30, 2020, 07:07:24 PM »
I love getting ripped and playing this. I have so many random clips saved on my computer, I'll eventually make some sort of edit.

Damn those were both pretty sick! I’m in the same boat having too much fun learning the trick and replay mechanics.

Here’s some stuff I got from today figuring out how to film lines and single shot tricks
https://streamable.com/ljbv05

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #281 on: July 30, 2020, 07:37:18 PM »
Second day of playing and I got used to the controls ...manuals and grinds are pretty cool.  The  courthouse is glitchy or it might be me but can’t seem to get enough pop into manual.

Had some fun with trying NAC grinds on hubbas

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #282 on: July 30, 2020, 07:41:26 PM »
Second day of playing and I got used to the controls ...manuals and grinds are pretty cool.  The  courthouse is glitchy or it might be me but can’t seem to get enough pop into manual.

Had some fun with trying NAC grinds on hubbas

“Load” the pop for both feet instead of just the ollie foot to get the High pop for tricks.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 560
« Reply #283 on: July 30, 2020, 08:09:14 PM »
After spending significant time playing this, I'm satisfied with my purchase. I came in with low exceptions, knowing this is a game made by a small studio, and I think Easy Day did a decent job. It's frustrating at times (but then again so is skateboarding in real life), the graphics are kinda PS3-ish, the soundtrack gets old fast to the point where you just mute it, the customization sucks, I can't flip the spitfire wheels graphics in, etc, but the controls are so much deeper than any skateboarding game before it. It truly is the most hardcore skateboard sim to date, so much that it's going to turn away the casual skateboard fan, but luckily they have THPS 1+2 for that. The game is hard, but rewarding. It feels like those Beagle tapes videos seeing guys like Reynolds or Bryan Herman struggling with a trick for hours until they finally get that one make.

I waited 10 years for a skateboarding game after Skate 3, and this will hold me over until Skate 4, which I'm sure is at least 3 years away.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #284 on: July 30, 2020, 09:24:29 PM »
^^^ your review sums up my experience perfectly. Hope they continue to develop and smooth things out and offer more maps too.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #285 on: July 30, 2020, 10:31:52 PM »
Yeah this game is the most difficult and infuriating game I’ve played in years. Excited to get it down eventually.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #286 on: July 31, 2020, 05:51:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

whered you get your glasses?
Glassy prescription glasses. They are the Lincolns in black and gold.
https://glassyeyewear.com/collections/prescription/products/lincoln-premium-prescription

Not that hyped on supporting a company that gave david loy signature glasses but they do offer a quick and easy way to order prescription glasses online.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #287 on: July 31, 2020, 06:27:05 AM »
Anybody having this problem? -

I tried saving a couple of clips and then after a while I couldn’t view them anymore and it says not enough storage space (which is bullshit because I checked my ps4 storage and there is plenty of storage left plus an external hard drive.) I then restarted the game and my “saved character” went back to the original male default skater.

same here! ps4

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #288 on: July 31, 2020, 06:42:28 AM »
360 flipped Wallenberg.
Felt like Cobra Cole, time to go home and climb in bed with Red

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #289 on: July 31, 2020, 07:05:55 AM »
If you have a decent windows pc please get this game there and skip the console version. There are endless gear and physics mods as well as maps that make this game in another league.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2020, 08:29:22 AM »
I know alot of Pals won't care but can it matters quite a bit to me.

Can anyone who has bfiddled with the character creator tell me about the female skater options specifically?
I mean in terms of body / face / hair as well as clothing selections?
I'm still not sure I've seen any other female characters other than the blue jeans white t-shirt girl model in the recent-ish trailer.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

AlexOlsonsDashiki

• Rep: 39
« Reply #291 on: July 31, 2020, 08:34:55 AM »

Can anyone who has bfiddled with the character creator tell me about the female skater options specifically?
I'm still not sure I've seen any other female characters other than the blue jeans white t-shirt girl model in the recent-ish trailer.

ill check after my class today but I would imagine it is as limited on console as the male character is. 4 skin tones, generic hair options in 3 colors, hats all have one fit and can only be worn forwards, etc.
Every time the McRib comes out I buy it. I don't even like the damn things.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #292 on: July 31, 2020, 08:43:38 AM »
I played with it last night. Trying to make a character for my girlfriend.

There’s less options for tops but there’s a decent amount.

Skin tones are the same.

Less hair options but the hair stays if you put a hat over it unlike the men who go bald when you put a cap on them.

Pants are where it’s really lacking. They’re all tight and only like 3-4 colors. My girlfriend doesn’t wear tight clothes so she will not be happy.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #293 on: July 31, 2020, 09:05:07 AM »

vanilla is kind of lacking but good enough. PC mods pretty much let you do whatever you want

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #294 on: July 31, 2020, 09:06:28 AM »
I think this game is super fun. Learning the controls makes me feel like I'm learning to write with my non-dominant hand, and while it's infuriating, I keep coming back to it because I know that I can do it. After playing it for a couple hours, coming back the next day feels exponentially easier. It just takes time for the muscle memory to set in, then it gets really fun. The clip editing is wonky at first but once you understand how the keyframes work, it makes things much more manageable. My brother in law and I have been filming our TV's, sending each other clips at random times throughout the day, it's been fun and will take the place of the much needed multiplayer for now....

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #295 on: July 31, 2020, 09:24:53 AM »
Found the leap of faith. That was pretty cool. Is there a hubba hideout anywhere? There needs to be an SF map. Hillbombs house spots EMB hubba hideout pier 7 etc.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #296 on: July 31, 2020, 10:20:38 AM »
Day two. The learning curve from skate 3 to this has been gnarly. I keep trying to control my tricks and turning from the joysticks.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #297 on: July 31, 2020, 11:13:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn those were both pretty sick! I’m in the same boat having too much fun learning the trick and replay mechanics.

Here’s some stuff I got from today figuring out how to film lines and single shot tricks

Damn how are you both so good already
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #298 on: July 31, 2020, 11:46:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Damn how are you both so good already

For real that one with all the tech tricks murdered

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #299 on: July 31, 2020, 12:40:22 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/SkaterXL/comments/hxsfoz/first_time_filming_sxl_clips_so_much_easier_to_do/

Posted my little edit on reddit. This was made right before the 1.0 release.