Author Topic: New Skate Game! Skater XL  (Read 75229 times)

Broken_Ankle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Re: New Skate Game! Skater XL
« Reply #300 on: July 31, 2020, 01:10:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Anybody having this problem? -

I tried saving a couple of clips and then after a while I couldn’t view them anymore and it says not enough storage space (which is bullshit because I checked my ps4 storage and there is plenty of storage left plus an external hard drive.) I then restarted the game and my “saved character” went back to the original male default skater.
[close]

same here! ps4

I’m so bummed. It took me like a half hour to make this one clip after getting the perfect angle and figuring out the key frames etc lol. I even tried uninstalling it and installing it again and still doesn’t work.

busch

• Rep: 74
« Reply #301 on: July 31, 2020, 01:23:22 PM »
Never in a million years would I think I’d be better at skateboarding in real life than in a video game but here we are. This game is fucking hard!

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #302 on: July 31, 2020, 01:54:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I love getting ripped and playing this. I have so many random clips saved on my computer, I'll eventually make some sort of edit.

https://streamable.com/mrbjh3
https://streamable.com/3aggcm
[close]

Damn those were both pretty sick! I’m in the same boat having too much fun learning the trick and replay mechanics.

Here’s some stuff I got from today figuring out how to film lines and single shot tricks
https://streamable.com/ljbv05
[close]

Damn how are you both so good already

Lifelong gamer who actually got into skating via THPS. then back when the first skate was about to come out, the fluckit forums were the first message board I was ever a part of. Pretty much both my lifelong passions wrapped into one so it's easy for me to binge free skate and just practice shit lol

foureyedjim

« Reply #303 on: July 31, 2020, 02:15:27 PM »
Liking all these clips, so fun to film in this game

Here’s my phone cam footy haha
https://streamable.com/q6b9gu

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #304 on: July 31, 2020, 03:15:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody having this problem? -

I tried saving a couple of clips and then after a while I couldn’t view them anymore and it says not enough storage space (which is bullshit because I checked my ps4 storage and there is plenty of storage left plus an external hard drive.) I then restarted the game and my “saved character” went back to the original male default skater.
[close]

same here! ps4
[close]

I’m so bummed. It took me like a half hour to make this one clip after getting the perfect angle and figuring out the key frames etc lol. I even tried uninstalling it and installing it again and still doesn’t work.

somehow mine fixed itself! i hope the same for you.

ALSO - those clips! dudes...my gf is gonna be pissed at me after dinner lol

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #305 on: July 31, 2020, 03:16:07 PM »
HOLY SHIT did you guys know that you can hit L1 or R1 on the Maps menu and there is a user created section? I'm only seeing 3 so far but wow what a discovery.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #306 on: July 31, 2020, 04:14:28 PM »
I played with it last night. Trying to make a character for my girlfriend.

There’s less options for tops but there’s a decent amount.

Skin tones are the same.

Less hair options but the hair stays if you put a hat over it unlike the men who go bald when you put a cap on them.

Pants are where it’s really lacking. They’re all tight and only like 3-4 colors. My girlfriend doesn’t wear tight clothes so she will not be happy.

Thanks to you all that addressed my question.
If a game offers character customisation I always hope for variety, but it's not a deal breaker.
 I'll be playing on PS4 if anything but the more I'm hearing about the game and  mods is making me wish I had a gaming rig.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #307 on: July 31, 2020, 04:24:53 PM »
skating transition on here his hard den a bitch, but it's so fun when you get the hang of it.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #308 on: July 31, 2020, 05:08:16 PM »
skating transition on here his hard den a bitch, but it's so fun when you get the hang of it.
Can you get off the board and walk around or is it like Skate 1?
Dueces Bitch's

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #309 on: July 31, 2020, 05:26:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Cant get off the board, but there is a spawn point where you can mark to any point in the map and spawn in that specific spot and direction.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #310 on: July 31, 2020, 07:44:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Cant get off the board, but there is a spawn point where you can mark to any point in the map and spawn in that specific spot and direction.

Yeah, it’s really convenient and I don’t miss being able to step off the board at all, although it would make sense if there was a mechanic where you could do like caveman tricks and shit

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #311 on: August 01, 2020, 02:36:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I love getting ripped and playing this. I have so many random clips saved on my computer, I'll eventually make some sort of edit.

[close]

Damn those were both pretty sick! I’m in the same boat having too much fun learning the trick and replay mechanics.

Here’s some stuff I got from today figuring out how to film lines and single shot tricks
[close]

[close]

Lifelong gamer who actually got into skating via THPS. then back when the first skate was about to come out, the fluckit forums were the first message board I was ever a part of. Pretty much both my lifelong passions wrapped into one so it's easy for me to binge free skate and just practice shit lol

what was your screenname ?
I am Slamooh (Animal Machine)

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #312 on: August 01, 2020, 06:23:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Yeah, it’s really convenient and I don’t miss being able to step off the board at all, although it would make sense if there was a mechanic where you could do like caveman tricks and shit
Just got it and I'm hyped for it

Good looks
Dueces Bitch's

masturskater

• Rep: 21
« Reply #313 on: August 01, 2020, 06:38:25 AM »
HOLY SHIT did you guys know that you can hit L1 or R1 on the Maps menu and there is a user created section? I'm only seeing 3 so far but wow what a discovery.
Yeah these were 3 popular community made maps that they announced to be packaged into the game. If you're on PC you can easily download user made maps to play. Hope they figure a way to bring this to console soon.

Loving the game. Been playing the early access for awhile so this official release just feels like more of the same but now they brought the pros, official maps and some music tracks.

Double dipped and bought it for PS4 ($33 on Amazon and Walmart today). Don't usually buy games at launch but if I'm gonna support some devs it should definitely be these guys. According to Steam I've sunk more than 100hrs into the game and will easily sink hundreds more. Can't wait for a portable Switch release. Expecting it to be of lower quality but will be sick to play it anywhere anytime.

Looks like the reviews have come in and they are middling. Hope that doesn't hurt them too much. It's kind of sick to hear in reviews people's experiences struggling with the controls, then slowly progressing in the same spirit as real skating. Sounds like people are "getting" it which is a success in my book. Too bad they're lacking the content for higher review scores.

Has anyone played the phone game Skater? They had a good mechanic where you can save your lines and upload them as challenges (similar to the built in challenges/tutorials they built into this game). For the mobile game, playing challenges was required to unlock more maps which helped get a better feel for the game. And creating challenges was a good way for showing off and creating content for others. Really hope they build that into this game at some point.

masturskater

« Reply #314 on: August 01, 2020, 06:43:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sick edits. Did you guys know you can get a faster spin by prewinding? While you're crouched down for a high pop using both sticks just hold down one of the rotation triggers and they'll wind up. Let's you spin faster and has a different animation.

busch

« Reply #315 on: August 01, 2020, 12:07:23 PM »
Are you guys doing the challenges? It really helps learn the tricks but I’m goofy so only being able to do them regular is frustrating seeing as the controls are reversed. Most of them are fairly easy but the 540 mute grab one is impossible. Anyone do it?

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #316 on: August 01, 2020, 12:14:43 PM »
Are you guys doing the challenges? It really helps learn the tricks but I’m goofy so only being able to do them regular is frustrating seeing as the controls are reversed. Most of them are fairly easy but the 540 mute grab one is impossible. Anyone do it?
I gave up on the tutorial for that reason it throws me off learning the game regular footed and then playing goofy.

masturskater

« Reply #317 on: August 01, 2020, 12:45:32 PM »
Try prewinding your spin. With both sticks down hold down the trigger for spinning. You'll see your skater wind up. That will make you spin faster. If you still need more rotation learn how to revert the landing.

busch

« Reply #318 on: August 01, 2020, 12:55:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Try prewinding your spin. With both sticks down hold down the trigger for spinning. You'll see your skater wind up. That will make you spin faster. If you still need more rotation learn how to revert the landing.
I’ll try it thanks. That doesn’t just make you turn though? I’m not too coordinated with video games anymore because old and this game is really tough. You have to be doing different things with both joysticks plus both top buttons at the same time, it’s a lot but again, old...

masturskater

« Reply #319 on: August 01, 2020, 01:11:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I’ll try it thanks. That doesn’t just make you turn though? I’m not too coordinated with video games anymore because old and this game is really tough. You have to be doing different things with both joysticks plus both top buttons at the same time, it’s a lot but again, old...
I think you'll still turn with only one stick down. But when you have both sticks down for a high pop and hold the trigger, they'll wind up for a faster spin. You'll get used to it over time when muscle memory starts kicking in. Awkward at first for sure. Took me a while to spin using triggers. EA skate didn't do that at all. It's to play EA skate after playing XL for a long time.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #320 on: August 01, 2020, 02:21:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

what was your screenname ?
I am Slamooh (Animal Machine)

Fifty Scent. I helped start La Familia shortly after skate 1 released. We even had a full length that got lost to the Internet after Vimeo started purging all the video game clips that started to flood the site around that time

busch

« Reply #321 on: August 01, 2020, 02:56:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
I think you'll still turn with only one stick down. But when you have both sticks down for a high pop and hold the trigger, they'll wind up for a faster spin. You'll get used to it over time when muscle memory starts kicking in. Awkward at first for sure. Took me a while to spin using triggers. EA skate didn't do that at all. It's to play EA skate after playing XL for a long time.
I almost broke down today and said fuck this and just plugged in skate but held strong. I don’t want to ruin my muscle memory progress so far. I will say it is VERY satisfying landing a trick perfect and with style in this game, it just takes as long as actually doing it on a skateboard in real life

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #322 on: August 01, 2020, 03:18:33 PM »
Finally completed all the challenges. Some of them shits made me want to rip my hair out. If I never have to do a double flip again it will be too soon. Billy Marks must have came up with some of those challenges.

busch

« Reply #323 on: August 01, 2020, 06:00:36 PM »
Finally completed all the challenges. Some of them shits made me want to rip my hair out. If I never have to do a double flip again it will be too soon. Billy Marks must have came up with some of those challenges.
Agreed having to do a 720 shove it is whack but they’re probably just trying to get the younger market in for revenue. If that leads to income which makes the game getting better with updates i’ll let it slide

Dr Waffles

• Rep: 15
« Reply #324 on: August 01, 2020, 07:47:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

good shit man. that first line was great

Anyone know a decent video editing program for windows? I don't want to deal with moving all the clips to my macbook.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 08:09:47 PM by Dr Waffles »
In 5 years skateboarding will be dirtbiking

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
« Reply #325 on: August 01, 2020, 08:51:03 PM »
Guys this is important and i can't stress this enough.

Learn the advanced way to do each trick, if your goofie and you just flick down and right to do a kickflip it's not going to look realistic as the board just sucks to the feet without a real catch. If you want a realistic kickflip you need to flick down then bottom right, then instantly hold the rs top right while holding the left stick down Then click Ls in to catch the board at the right moment.

If you do this the board will bone itself out so that it actually hits the catching foot instead of sucking to your feet. holding ls down isn't needed BUT if you don't do it your foot will morph through the board.

Now that's just kickflips, every trick has as advanced way you can do it to reach 100% realism, i'm not your dad though so figure the rest out on your own and BTW 99% of people's clips look unrealistic because they aren't doing this stuff. If you want props from me you better find out how to do this shit proper. Especially you little cum bags that hate on Nyjah for having no style, every one of you who doesn't do the tricks the advanced way are NYJAH.

Glurmpz

« Reply #326 on: August 01, 2020, 09:04:00 PM »

If you want props from me you better find out how to do this shit proper. Especially you little cum bags that hate on Nyjah for having no style, every one of you who doesn't do the tricks the advanced way are NYJAH.

Guys! You're not impressing... hold on... SlapRhaters? Sorry - is this supposed to be someone of note?

Of course a Nyjah fan would equate playing a video game to real skateboarding. Lol.

Dr Waffles

• Rep: 15
« Reply #327 on: August 01, 2020, 09:43:05 PM »
i'm not your dad though

wait, you're not?
In 5 years skateboarding will be dirtbiking

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #328 on: August 01, 2020, 10:48:42 PM »
Day 3, everything started coming together. Still not solid on ledges/rails and am horrible on tranny (stalls) but can roam each map and control the speed of my flip tricks (PS- a massive, slow rotating hard flip is amazing in this game).

Anyone know where I can find the leap of faith?

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
« Reply #329 on: August 01, 2020, 11:36:58 PM »
Expand Quote

If you want props from me you better find out how to do this shit proper. Especially you little cum bags that hate on Nyjah for having no style, every one of you who doesn't do the tricks the advanced way are NYJAH.
[close]

Guys! You're not impressing... hold on... SlapRhaters? Sorry - is this supposed to be someone of note?

Of course a Nyjah fan would equate playing a video game to real skateboarding. Lol.

I'm just dropping knowledge you should be paying for but im nice, Tired of watching people who claim to love skating who don't even realize the boards magically sucking to their feet, I don't like Nyjah but I Don't like You either.