Author Topic: New Skate Game! Skater XL  (Read 75199 times)

Dracula

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
Re: New Skate Game! Skater XL
« Reply #330 on: August 02, 2020, 07:23:58 AM »
Tried playing it, I really just don’t care to learn new controls. I played the session demo the other night and I honestly prefer it to XL. It has legacy (ea skate) controls and the map is nyc. I kind of wish session got more funding and was the main skateboarding game coming out.

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #331 on: August 02, 2020, 08:48:59 AM »
Day 3, everything started coming together. Still not solid on ledges/rails and am horrible on tranny (stalls) but can roam each map and control the speed of my flip tricks (PS- a massive, slow rotating hard flip is amazing in this game).

Anyone know where I can find the leap of faith?

On the Easy Day High map there's a road on the left side of the map, at the end of the road turn right and there should be a long handrail with a "Go Tigers" banner above it, Leap Of Faith is in that same area opposite of the handrail.

Dr Waffles

• Rep: 15
« Reply #332 on: August 02, 2020, 12:07:40 PM »
I made a little part because I'm bored and out of weed. Really need that camera settings mod to come back out.

https://youtu.be/ssJ30QbZi5M
In 5 years skateboarding will be dirtbiking

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #333 on: August 02, 2020, 01:51:31 PM »
Decided to buy it expecting barebones exp with a deep trick / style / gameplay system and have gotten exactly what I expect. Slightly dissatisfied with the character customisation- literally 3 pairs of jeans in the same style and the exact same fit T-Shirt with different logos, no variation.

I'm glad I supported this studio by paying full welly and I really hope there is more coming to console with updates because the mechanics of this game are fantastic. You can tell these guys are skaters or at least have huge input from skaters because at its core it allows for unique ways of doing tricks.
A particular moment of joy came when doing two different styles of fakie tre on flat - one with back foot catch but no yo'd out, the second with my skater seeming to jump higher, tucking her feet to allow the board to rotate more vertically, caught differently to the first.
It's SO much fun nailing tricks in varying styles.

I just hope it gets expanded over time with maps (as a minimum) and additional features on console.

If you're a skateboarder you'll probably get as much joy as I have from it because no other skating game has really done what this is doing. I could see people perfecting specific pros style and recreating video parts like we did with skate, but the tricks actually resembling the skater in question.

Quick fire thoughts-

- I played skate 3 for two hours before playing this. This was both advantageous and a detriment.

- Loading to your marker is instantly done, unlike Skate 3 on PS3. This feels so much better.

- I didn't notice two hours going past while first playing.

-The style aspect is just delightful. Catching a fake flip with the back foot hanging off and skater looking distinctly fakie.

- Day one patch on PS4 is nearly as big as the game (just shy of 8GB compared to +11GB)

- I could have printed better quality box art.

-OST has some skate vid tracks - Stefan from Subtleties, JJ Mindfield
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #334 on: August 02, 2020, 10:39:14 PM »
I made a little part because I'm bored and out of weed. Really need that camera settings mod to come back out.

Yoo this was sick! First line was crazy!

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #335 on: August 02, 2020, 10:40:04 PM »
Here’s a lil week one montage I made. I still got  more banger lines at JKwon & the school but ima save em

https://streamable.com/bujuvc

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 40
« Reply #336 on: August 03, 2020, 12:36:39 AM »
That Fakie Tre down Wallenberg makes me want to see one in real life so bad.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #337 on: August 03, 2020, 09:20:55 AM »
Pro Tip: do the challenges first. it gives you a better handle on which sticks to use and when.

(anyone complaining about the physics being too floaty are using both sticks to ollie instead of one)

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #338 on: August 03, 2020, 09:24:10 AM »
Pro Tip: do the challenges first. it gives you a better handle on which sticks to use and when.

(anyone complaining about the physics being too floaty are using both sticks to ollie instead of one)

The challenges especially helped with ledge/rail tricks.

Though I dunno if anyone else has had this experience, but a lot of the advanced challenges feel WAY too picky. I did one where a line ends with a front blunt 270 out on a flatbar and I did it BETTER than the demo clip but they didn't count it. I heard for certain tricks that they only count it if you actually revert but the one that was a "success" was done the same way just slightly under rotated lol.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #339 on: August 03, 2020, 11:30:41 AM »
I'm goofy foot so I haven't touched those whack ass challenges

Best way to learn is to watch youtubers and PRACTICE. Also, it's easy to flick your tricks timing the same pace you do in skate. DON'T do that. if you want crispy Tre's, hardflips, etc. get used to scooping one stick at a certain speed and flicking with another. Remember there are no canned animations but once you get the muscle memory down, you can pretty much just LOOK at your board and intuitively control it.

If you wanna reverts, powerslides, or just any kind of 90 degree twist, point your sticks <--> or -><-. Use the triggers to spin with it. You can do smiths and feebles this way too if you figure out the little nuances tweaks and approach towards the rail/ledge

Blunts/Noseblunts are done by approaching at the correct angle/trajectory, ollie, turn about 90 degrees, the point both sticks down or up depending on stance/trick

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #340 on: August 03, 2020, 11:47:20 AM »

If you wanna reverts, powerslides, or just any kind of 90 degree twist, point your sticks <--> or -><-. Use the triggers to spin with it. You can do smiths and feebles this way too if you figure out the little nuances tweaks and approach towards the rail/ledge

Blunts/Noseblunts are done by approaching at the correct angle/trajectory, ollie, turn about 90 degrees, the point both sticks down or up depending on stance/trick

If you want to tweak into noseblunts, you can also angle the powerslide up or down and tweak without using triggers.

Glurmpz

« Reply #341 on: August 03, 2020, 03:42:13 PM »
Looked up edits on youtube and this was one of the first ones that came up. The dude has some fisheye mod that makes it look a lot better, but he also seems to be good at making it look fairly realistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtAQNp-VyM

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #342 on: August 03, 2020, 04:51:33 PM »
Looked up edits on youtube and this was one of the first ones that came up. The dude has some fisheye mod that makes it look a lot better, but he also seems to be good at making it look fairly realistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtAQNp-VyM

wow! this is how i aim to play the game which basically makes it a never ending challenge. but his looks so realistic! its so hard to keep away from that floaty look even without the high pop

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #343 on: August 03, 2020, 08:42:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The challenges especially helped with ledge/rail tricks.

Though I dunno if anyone else has had this experience, but a lot of the advanced challenges feel WAY too picky. I did one where a line ends with a front blunt 270 out on a flatbar and I did it BETTER than the demo clip but they didn't count it. I heard for certain tricks that they only count it if you actually revert but the one that was a "success" was done the same way just slightly under rotated lol.

For my weekend I Knocked out half the challenges.  Can get the skater to do most of what I want kind of dope getting kickflip back tails on lock

Need to learn to film and edit next I guess

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #344 on: August 04, 2020, 06:07:00 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Di2e0WbSNI
Raw footage turning up gravity and using manual catch with mods. Hopefully they implement some of these features for consoles cause the vanilla version is unplayable for me.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #345 on: August 04, 2020, 06:37:17 AM »

Did not know there was Nike gear in this? I've only got to play it 2 or 3 times but I didn't see any? X Box version.
My son keeps playing it instead and he has my guy all NB'ed out

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #346 on: August 04, 2020, 06:38:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did not know there was Nike gear in this? I've only got to play it 2 or 3 times but I didn't see any? X Box version.
My son keeps playing it instead and he has my guy all NB'ed out
Mods on pc. You can pretty much have any gear you want.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #347 on: August 04, 2020, 09:11:07 AM »
Got it on PC, game is dope when you dwell into all the different mods and custom gear. You can also easily make your own gear using blank gear templates and using paint/photoshop. Smith grinds be looking a little awkward though.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #348 on: August 04, 2020, 09:44:07 AM »
Drats. I haven't bought a PC game in like 18 years.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #349 on: August 04, 2020, 09:46:28 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4X3kwNmMb0
pretty much learned all my techniques from this guy. He also did a filming tutorial if you want to get better at that. He has mods on but techniques should work for everyone.

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #350 on: August 04, 2020, 12:31:30 PM »
Got it on PC, game is dope when you dwell into all the different mods and custom gear. You can also easily make your own gear using blank gear templates and using paint/photoshop. Smith grinds be looking a little awkward though.

thats a cool pic
mArLeY

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #351 on: August 04, 2020, 01:58:21 PM »
Well those videos effectively ruined console version for me.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #352 on: August 04, 2020, 02:18:08 PM »
Well those videos effectively ruined console version for me.
The developers have been very good at integrating mod content (they even included three modder maps in the console version) so I believe they will add more features from pc. I hope you guys get to adjust stats because the game is on another level with custom physics and manual catch. Much more rewarding.

Dr Waffles

« Reply #353 on: August 04, 2020, 02:25:13 PM »
Here’s a lil week one montage I made. I still got  more banger lines at JKwon & the school but ima save em

https://streamable.com/bujuvc

Good shit man. That fakie tre was great. didn't even think to film from up there. I love how people have a unique style on the game. definitely carries it compared to any other skate game ever made.

I made another little edit just to dick around. Need better camera mod options before I start stacking clips for some sort of full length part.

https://youtu.be/8UhV3d3pZwU

Dr Waffles

« Reply #354 on: August 04, 2020, 02:27:40 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Di2e0WbSNI
Raw footage turning up gravity and using manual catch with mods. Hopefully they implement some of these features for consoles cause the vanilla version is unplayable for me.

Really liked that filming. I need that squares map back. Not sure if it works or not with the new version of the game.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #355 on: August 04, 2020, 03:22:01 PM »
Stacking clips in this game is addicting, real talk.

https://streamable.com/h8yyta

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #356 on: August 04, 2020, 03:30:40 PM »
About 2 hours in and I actually like this a lot better than Session. It just feels a lot better to land tricks and the maps we get straight from launch on Xbox are better than Session's. And the gameplay is a lot more solid. I know it's kinda unfair to compare them being Session is on like version 0.0.5? I think. And SXL is on build 1.0 if I'm not mistaken. And the filming is easily the best out of any skateboarding game. It's probably the most fun part of the game for me right now.

Just found out you can also do anti flips so that's pretty fucking cool.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #357 on: August 04, 2020, 05:16:33 PM »
idk how to upload from my playstation

Who's got this one?

http://streamable.com/zh711f
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Hypnotoad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #358 on: August 04, 2020, 10:40:44 PM »
Holy shit my brain and hands are having a hell of a time not playing SKATE.

Feels like I’m playing this:

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html

Excited to figure some stuff out though, looks like tons of fun once one stops completely sucking.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #359 on: August 05, 2020, 06:42:10 AM »
Holy shit my brain and hands are having a hell of a time not playing SKATE.

Feels like I’m playing this:

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html

Excited to figure some stuff out though, looks like tons of fun once one stops completely sucking.

Give it a few day’s and I bet it will click. It took me a bit to get used to controls. So much fun once you get it though.