Author Topic: New Skate Game! Skater XL  (Read 75274 times)

Big Skatefase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
Re: New Skate Game! Skater XL
« Reply #360 on: August 05, 2020, 11:37:27 AM »
The edits I’ve been seeing on Skater XL look more fluid and realistic than Session or Skate 3. Makes all the other games look stiff, but that’s what you get with a physics based system than a canned animation system.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #361 on: August 05, 2020, 12:07:05 PM »
The edits I’ve been seeing on Skater XL look more fluid and realistic than Session or Skate 3. Makes all the other games look stiff, but that’s what you get with a physics based system than a canned animation system.

Yea I dunno about sessions but I definitely like the controls better and the fact that the consol levels are small is nice because you think more like a skater finding dope lines in cramp areas

Also seems more “Core” people are playing it ...I could be wrong tho

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #362 on: August 05, 2020, 12:39:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yea I dunno about sessions but I definitely like the controls better and the fact that the consol levels are small is nice because you think more like a skater finding dope lines in cramp areas

Also seems more “Core” people are playing it ...I could be wrong tho
session def felt more true to skating at first...until i discovered all the little ways you can make your tricks look personalized in SXL. The whole vibe and image is definitely cooler in session tho. Pluse my local shop no comply is featured in session which is pretty cool.

Dr Waffles

• Rep: 15
« Reply #363 on: August 05, 2020, 10:06:27 PM »
The lack of canned animations are what I think makes it special. Session just looks so stiff and there's no real style to the skating. I haven't played it since it was in super early release though. The maps look great, but it's just so stiff and lacks the fluidity of skater xl.

This took me so long to do. I've been looking for a place to do a nose slide pop out.
https://streamable.com/1m36z7
https://streamable.com/lvdtye
In 5 years skateboarding will be dirtbiking

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #364 on: August 06, 2020, 09:07:02 AM »
from reddit:

« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 09:33:03 AM by Big Skatefase »

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #365 on: August 06, 2020, 09:20:32 AM »

Down to the back foot catch. Well done.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #366 on: August 06, 2020, 03:46:48 PM »
Been watchin Mike Mo get back into the youtube game...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFpY86KAnuQ

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #367 on: August 06, 2020, 05:39:48 PM »
I wish you could change the controls around on console. Session lets you change so much, down to the orientation of your flick direction for flipping out of tricks. Manual catch is just essential tbh. I spend more time in XL trying to land a trick in the right way, as opposed to at all. It's a cool diversion, but I feel like Session's gonna go beyond skater xl gameplay-wise. XL feels really good though, like playing skate 1 for the first time again
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

nocomply900

• Rep: 2
« Reply #368 on: August 06, 2020, 06:02:06 PM »
Been watchin Mike Mo get back into the youtube game...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFpY86KAnuQ

This was surprisingly entertaining... haha I’m eagerly awaiting this game on switch.

foureyedjim

« Reply #369 on: August 06, 2020, 11:54:35 PM »
The lack of canned animations are what I think makes it special. Session just looks so stiff and there's no real style to the skating. I haven't played it since it was in super early release though. The maps look great, but it's just so stiff and lacks the fluidity of skater xl.

This took me so long to do. I've been looking for a place to do a nose slide pop out.
https://streamable.com/1m36z7
https://streamable.com/lvdtye

First angle was great, this game looks best with the fisheye.  Anything else makes the guy look unrealistically fast.

More cell phone footy for y’all lol
https://streamable.com/ps1j3s

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #370 on: August 07, 2020, 12:23:09 AM »
I wish you could change the controls around on console. Session lets you change so much, down to the orientation of your flick direction for flipping out of tricks. Manual catch is just essential tbh. I spend more time in XL trying to land a trick in the right way, as opposed to at all. It's a cool diversion, but I feel like Session's gonna go beyond skater xl gameplay-wise. XL feels really good though, like playing skate 1 for the first time again

Exactly, the switch controls are super weird.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

thomas kook

« Reply #371 on: August 07, 2020, 01:32:00 AM »
great game, beats doing dishes any day but a but wonky on the physics. needs a flippity switch for more realistic gravity and pop-outs pronto, they keep boasting the physicist dev guy but he must have been asleep for some of the tweaks they made.

I wish you could change the controls around on console. Session lets you change so much, down to the orientation of your flick direction for flipping out of tricks. Manual catch is just essential tbh. I spend more time in XL trying to land a trick in the right way, as opposed to at all.t's a cool diversion, but I feel like Session's gonna go beyond skater xl gameplay-wise. XL feels really good though, like playing skate 1 for the first time again

this is very true also. it's very forgiving with the landing and catching but it would be very frustrating for new players otherwise, i can see why they've gone this direction but it would have been nice to make it an option, kinda like difficulty settings idk

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #372 on: August 07, 2020, 07:15:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Switch makes perfect sense when you realize it's just mirror'd.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #373 on: August 07, 2020, 07:57:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This. In XL, a switch flip is the same input as a nollie flip, just rolling switch instead. I prefer this scheme. Session is promising, but as of right now, there is only one way to make a trick look. I agree that manual catch is the way to go. That's how I play my modded SXL. Hopefully the devs smell the coffee and implement the option in the console version.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #374 on: August 07, 2020, 09:19:31 AM »
I think people woulda have just preferred that switch was like Skate, where the inputs are exactly the same just the sticks are switched, but the way the sticks are switched and inverted in Skater XL accurately recreates the awkwardness of skating switch.

When I first tried skating switch IRL I felt like a baby giraffe trying to walk for the first time. In Skater XL, I had that similar feeling when I was trying to string a line together switch.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #375 on: August 07, 2020, 10:30:49 AM »
I think people woulda have just preferred that switch was like Skate, where the inputs are exactly the same just the sticks are switched, but the way the sticks are switched and inverted in Skater XL accurately recreates the awkwardness of skating switch.

When I first tried skating switch IRL I felt like a baby giraffe trying to walk for the first time. In Skater XL, I had that similar feeling when I was trying to string a line together switch.

I dig the xl switch set up ...since I skate goofy and learning  the controls for regular and It made the goofy controls cleaner since the brain had the reverse the signals ...feels kid of cool

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #376 on: August 07, 2020, 12:52:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I guess it's cause I'm used to Session flipping the controls for you. I'm getting used to it though.

Dr Waffles

« Reply #377 on: August 07, 2020, 03:57:14 PM »
once you get used to it, it's second nature. I like how the controls are set up now that I've sunk a couple 100 hours into it. I hope they do add some way to adjust the physics on console. The mods really are a game changer.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #378 on: August 08, 2020, 05:14:11 PM »
Whose got the gnarliest switch tre so far. I switch ollied onto the flat of the staples center hubba and switch tred down the whole fuckin thing

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #379 on: August 08, 2020, 07:31:49 PM »

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #380 on: August 09, 2020, 12:40:11 PM »
(PS4) Alright, a week or so later, I’ve got this game 90% down. I’ve done every challenge except for the mega ramp (grabs with spins feel impossible) and all the powers life challenges... because they’re wack.

It took me forever to do some of the challenges at the courthouse because I missed the subtleties in tapping L2/ R2 to decide the direction you pop out and pressing down on the joysticks to simply pop out of a trick. Loving most of the gameplay now, outside of how you’re always facing fakie when doing switch grinds.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #381 on: August 09, 2020, 12:54:52 PM »
(PS4) Alright, a week or so later, I’ve got this game 90% down. I’ve done every challenge except for the mega ramp (grabs with spins feel impossible) and all the powers life challenges... because they’re wack.

It took me forever to do some of the challenges at the courthouse because I missed the subtleties in tapping L2/ R2 to decide the direction you pop out and pressing down on the joysticks to simply pop out of a trick. Loving most of the gameplay now, outside of how you’re always facing fakie when doing switch grinds.

I fucked with the mega ramp level ...there are some smaller setups and a lot of the trophies are there

I pretty much figured out the coping dance ...I think I need 5 more trophies before I get platinum...lol And the ones I got , I got a
by accident too

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #382 on: August 09, 2020, 01:07:46 PM »

This pisses me off beyond reason. Also does anyone know if it's possible to just kind of slide out of a grind instead of popping out?

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #383 on: August 09, 2020, 01:36:37 PM »
I’ve been playing for a couple of weeks now and I really starting to grasp a lot of the features / different ways to slide around , spin , etc.. but I can’t for the life of me do a shove out of a nosegrind or krook. Any ideas what I’m fucking up?

Dr Waffles

« Reply #384 on: August 09, 2020, 09:06:52 PM »
Another little edit because I have nothing better to do.

https://youtu.be/j-6Kx3aJaCU

HeavyLow

• Rep: 8
« Reply #385 on: August 09, 2020, 09:30:09 PM »
Made a little something. This game is pure gold with all the mods for PC.

https://streamable.com/mishss

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #386 on: August 09, 2020, 11:26:09 PM »
https://vimeo.com/446375538

a little ting. xbox one

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #387 on: August 11, 2020, 06:21:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This pisses me off beyond reason. Also does anyone know if it's possible to just kind of slide out of a grind instead of popping out?

click on a stick
the one you click is the direction youre going to slide out

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #388 on: August 11, 2020, 03:18:08 PM »
any tips on 180 out of grinds on ps4 without popping? would like to do a front 5-0 back 180 or back 5-0 front 180 at a spot but even with a little drop i cant seem to turn out without popping or doing a 540 hardflip when trying to "powerslide" in the air.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #389 on: August 11, 2020, 05:01:43 PM »
any tips on 180 out of grinds on ps4 without popping? would like to do a front 5-0 back 180 or back 5-0 front 180 at a spot but even with a little drop i cant seem to turn out without popping or doing a 540 hardflip when trying to "powerslide" in the air.

I ran into this on back 5-0 front 180's, and it honestly took a while to get it to where I was satisfied. Get into the grind, start turning with the shoulder button before you reach the end of the hubba (or whatever you're doing it on). When you are about to land, move both sticks to the outside like you're doing a fs powerslide. This will make you revert the last of the front 180 out and it'll look a lot more natural than straight ollieing out of it. Same principles should apply for front 5-0 back 180 out, just reversed, and put the sticks towards the middle like you're doing a bs powerslide.