Author Topic: New Skate Game! Skater XL  (Read 75210 times)

masturskater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: New Skate Game! Skater XL
« Reply #390 on: August 11, 2020, 05:49:10 PM »
any tips on 180 out of grinds on ps4 without popping? would like to do a front 5-0 back 180 or back 5-0 front 180 at a spot but even with a little drop i cant seem to turn out without popping or doing a 540 hardflip when trying to "powerslide" in the air.
Sounds like you're powersliding too early. Make sure you're fully dismounted before moving the sticks to powerslide out.

Patey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #391 on: August 11, 2020, 08:04:44 PM »
this game shits on any skating game before it, period. logged 500 hours so far.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDUI3C1l0Un/

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #392 on: August 12, 2020, 06:29:13 AM »
this game shits on any skating game before it, period. logged 500 hours so far.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDUI3C1l0Un/

so sick!

thanks above on the tips, going to try that out today.

Technique

« Reply #393 on: August 12, 2020, 07:29:47 AM »
Expand Quote
(PS4) Alright, a week or so later, I’ve got this game 90% down. I’ve done every challenge except for the mega ramp (grabs with spins feel impossible) and all the powers life challenges... because they’re wack.

It took me forever to do some of the challenges at the courthouse because I missed the subtleties in tapping L2/ R2 to decide the direction you pop out and pressing down on the joysticks to simply pop out of a trick. Loving most of the gameplay now, outside of how you’re always facing fakie when doing switch grinds.
[close]

This pisses me off beyond reason. Also does anyone know if it's possible to just kind of slide out of a grind instead of popping out?

Ye, just don’t release the joystick at the end of the ledge, release it when you’re in the air. You can also do the powerslide move to turn 90 degrees if you’re getting out of a boardslide for example.

live, laugh, love

« Reply #394 on: August 13, 2020, 06:26:23 PM »
Got this for Xbox One last night. Started to get hang of it today. Last night I was ready to throw my console out the window.  It was like watching two blind guys play pattycake seeing me try to grind a rail or ledge without it being a Willy grind.

Must of been the coffee cause I woke up this morning and shit clicked after looking at some tips. Still struggling with blunt slides. But learning reverts and catching tricks with the right foot makes everything look much better.

Checkpoints are cool but I think the game would flow better if you started off where you last fell instead off being spawned back to your last checkpoint.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #395 on: August 13, 2020, 07:10:26 PM »
New content on the way

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #396 on: August 14, 2020, 03:59:33 AM »
The modded multiplayer on PC is pretty sick. I'd love to see an official multiplayer be brought into the game. Feel bad for the console players.

Technique

« Reply #397 on: August 14, 2020, 12:39:18 PM »
New content on the way

Yeah hopefully THE T-SHIRT WILL FOLD WHEN YOU BEND DOWN TO POP INSTEAD OF COLLIDING WITH YOUR LEGS. Wtf.

Patey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #398 on: August 14, 2020, 01:40:26 PM »
looking forward to bug fixes mostly, PC has unlimited maps honestly

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD3z4tNlaI7/

Dr Waffles

• Rep: 15
« Reply #399 on: August 14, 2020, 04:19:39 PM »
half cab flip crooks was dope. so was that back lip to front blunt.

Made myself a shirt the other day and got some clips. https://streamable.com/el0i6b
In 5 years skateboarding will be dirtbiking

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #400 on: August 15, 2020, 01:34:21 AM »
Been having a bunch of fun nerding out on this game when I’m not skating. 
Just figured out reverts, was super stoked on this line.

https://streamable.com/bkivn8

Sorry for the tv screen recording

Dr Waffles

« Reply #401 on: August 15, 2020, 10:12:30 AM »
the reverts are game changing when you figure them out.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #402 on: August 15, 2020, 10:59:11 AM »

Lines galore +1

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #403 on: August 15, 2020, 03:01:24 PM »
Update: I still suck shit at this game, and it’s immensely frustrating, but it’s also really cool.

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #404 on: August 15, 2020, 03:57:39 PM »
Just bought the game on PS4
Yes it’s buggy. Yes it’s not the prettiest game on the console.

I struggled landing a backside tailslide on a ledge. I started to get frustrated so I did the same as we all did IRL : learning basic tricks...

Great learning curve.

Now I’m hooked.
Started playing a 9 it’s now 1 am haha

MareVitals

• Rep: -38
« Reply #405 on: August 15, 2020, 05:54:13 PM »
Started playing today after a week or so with session. Feels way too easy in comparison, like it's hard to actually bail (I can see some people would prefer that) but the tricks feel less rewarding to me. I like XLs revert system and the spins feel more responsive. The fact you can style tricks is great too but I think I prefer session overall.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #406 on: August 16, 2020, 08:35:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Lines galore +1

that was sick. i've logged some serious hours doing lines on some of the same obstacles. i love that big bank

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #407 on: August 16, 2020, 11:34:47 AM »
Not being able to pump puts a huge dent on transition skating. It seems like you should be able to (like when you slide the back foot up to crouch without popping), but it doesn’t actually pump. Hope to see this in the future.

*nevermind I guess that does some pumping
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 05:55:37 PM by YungJugg »

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
« Reply #408 on: August 16, 2020, 05:50:02 PM »
I feel like the tricks should flip faster in general, and the same goes for the spins. I like the wind up but the 180s and 360s still feel off.

I also kinda wish that ollies and nollies could only be activated by using both sticks, rather than one. I don't know how many times I'm trying to steer only to pop shove and get stuck facing the wrong direction.
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #409 on: August 16, 2020, 06:31:40 PM »
Not being able to pump puts a huge dent on transition skating. It seems like you should be able to (like when you slide the back foot up to crouch without popping), but it doesn’t actually pump. Hope to see this in the future.

*nevermind I guess that does some pumping

Use both sticks in opposite directions and I think it pumps harder.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Dr Waffles

« Reply #410 on: August 16, 2020, 08:32:00 PM »
I feel like the tricks should flip faster in general, and the same goes for the spins. I like the wind up but the 180s and 360s still feel off.

The mods on pc really solve both of those issues. I played for a while without them, once you can take away the floatiness and make the board flip faster it really is great. I'm imagining they will add some sort of stats adjuster or a hardcore mode or something on console soon enough.

Put together a little edit this morning.
https://youtu.be/_riSX2JurrA

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #411 on: August 16, 2020, 08:58:29 PM »
Started playing today after a week or so with session. Feels way too easy in comparison, like it's hard to actually bail (I can see some people would prefer that) but the tricks feel less rewarding to me. I like XLs revert system and the spins feel more responsive. The fact you can style tricks is great too but I think I prefer session overall.
I agree with this, i am literally a better skater IRL then i am on session and just landing a kickflip back tail took me 30 minutes and i was stoked, i hopped on skater xl and my very first try i accidentally did a 360 hardflip back tail 360 shove out, then did the kickflip back tail in a couple more tries.

Now that i've mastered skater xl it's basically just Ea skate and the only way i struggle for tricks or feel any real joy is when i'm doing stuff like 360 flip to hurricane popping into to a switch front feeble and switch 360 flipping out.

Not to mention the grinds, in session they've really mastered the pinch with all grinds, on skater xl the crook pinch is really good but i prefer session for the rest.

Sounds/graphics and how the board moves during manuals is all better on session as well imo:

With all this said i still enjoy skater xl more purely because it's more polished and it's frustrating playing a super hard game like session when it still has glitches, super hard games shine once there are no glitches and all mistakes are user error.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 10:18:06 PM by SlapRhaters »

Dr Waffles

« Reply #412 on: August 17, 2020, 01:18:22 PM »
I can’t get past the awful animations in session. Everything looks and feels so stiff. Maps look great though. I’d probably play it if I couldn’t have modded xl gameplay for some reason though.

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #413 on: August 17, 2020, 01:52:05 PM »
I can’t get past the awful animations in session. Everything looks and feels so stiff. Maps look great though. I’d probably play it if I couldn’t have modded xl gameplay for some reason though.

Those animations are place holders for what they are working on right now.

Dr Waffles

« Reply #414 on: August 17, 2020, 03:26:26 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing what they do with the update. Seems weird to not prioritize the physics, but it does look like it has a bunch of potential.

Patey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #415 on: August 17, 2020, 07:17:26 PM »

I also kinda wish that ollies and nollies could only be activated by using both sticks, rather than one. I don't know how many times I'm trying to steer only to pop shove and get stuck facing the wrong direction.

That's because you are steering with the joystick. Steer with the triggers exclusively like the game intends and you will not have this problem.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #416 on: August 17, 2020, 10:49:09 PM »
my friends and i did a king of the road type thing in skater xl(no, YOU'RE a nerd!). i can post the pdf if anyone wants, it was kind of a trial run tho

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
« Reply #417 on: August 17, 2020, 11:55:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's because you are steering with the joystick. Steer with the triggers exclusively like the game intends and you will not have this problem.
I know. You're right... I'm still so heavily influenced by skate, it's really difficult to break those habits
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #418 on: August 18, 2020, 04:07:20 AM »
Separate gripe, if they have grimple stix decks why can't I get an eagle deck? Also some shaped decks would be sick, like in session.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #419 on: August 18, 2020, 08:48:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I know. You're right... I'm still so heavily influenced by skate, it's really difficult to break those habits

it took me a week to realize i wasn't supposed to be turning with the sticks. game changer for sure once you adjust.