Author Topic: New Skate Game! Skater XL  (Read 75181 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: New Skate Game! Skater XL
« Reply #540 on: September 29, 2020, 07:18:22 AM »
more scrateboarding for yo virtual asses.

https://youtu.be/DtH8Sh0iLb4

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #541 on: September 29, 2020, 08:21:24 AM »
Haven't played this in a few weeks due to Tony Hawk. Really do dig the downtown LA and school levels though. Still horrible at grinds. So brainwaashed by THPS and Skate

Patey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #542 on: October 02, 2020, 12:33:40 PM »
something a little different for ya

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF2JFxRgVHa/

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #543 on: October 02, 2020, 01:17:16 PM »
something a little different for ya

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF2JFxRgVHa/
Aha the overalls were a nice touch and added to the vibe.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #544 on: October 02, 2020, 02:32:31 PM »
^

yeah that was cool, what map is that?

Patey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #545 on: October 05, 2020, 11:04:33 AM »
^

It's actually three different maps. Arnsenal park, 100 Sunset Station, and The Forest.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #546 on: October 05, 2020, 11:06:40 AM »
Expand Quote
^

[close]

It's actually three different maps. Arnsenal park, 100 Sunset Station, and The Forest.

cool, thanks! actually have 100 sunset station, but haven't fully explored yet. you made it look like it was one map, good editing.

Patey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #547 on: October 05, 2020, 05:59:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^

[close]

[close]

Thanks dude. Took some crafty color grading. Too bad instagram compresses the shit out of videos and it looks pretty crappy.

cool, thanks! actually have 100 sunset station, but haven't fully explored yet. you made it look like it was one map, good editing.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #548 on: October 06, 2020, 06:21:16 AM »
I'm getting really bummed out I can do a kickflip out of a nose grind. Or a nollie flip out of a 5oh.

And why is it so hard to do a proper ollie out of back lip on ledges?

Pops too high. Frickin
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Trilogy

• Rep: -230
« Reply #549 on: October 06, 2020, 11:43:54 AM »
This game had the potential to be really cool, but they wanted to make it so realistic that it is too hard and loses dynamic.

Also, the way we view the skater is to close to the him, we lose angle to the place were we going to make the trick.

The mobile phone app game was much better.

Disapointed.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 01:16:45 PM by Trilogy »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #550 on: October 06, 2020, 12:15:27 PM »
This game had the potential to be really cool, but they wanted to make it so realistic that it is too hard and loses dynamic.

Also, the way we view the skater is to close to the him, we lose angle to the place were we going to make the trick.

The mobile app game was much better.

Disapointed.

more disappointed the devs pretty much abandoned the game or at least suck at communication. probability that it even gets updated is gonna be low the more the game relies on mods on pc. console players got ripped off imo. they should still sell it for 15 or 20,- imo and left it in early access.

the game is great fun if you are willing to put in the work to mod it out, but fuck the devs, seriously. they've done shit since it went early access. the modding community did 90% of the stuff that makes this game really worth playing. otherwise it would be too frustrating to keep up with it.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #551 on: October 06, 2020, 02:17:49 PM »
Expand Quote

Disapointed.
[close]

more disappointed the devs pretty much abandoned the game or at least suck at communication. probability that it even gets updated is gonna be low the more the game relies on mods on pc. console players got ripped off imo. they should still sell it for 15 or 20,- imo and left it in early access.

the game is great fun if you are willing to put in the work to mod it out, but fuck the devs, seriously. they've done shit since it went early access. the modding community did 90% of the stuff that makes this game really worth playing. otherwise it would be too frustrating to keep up with it.
agreed on them shorthanding consoles but pc players don't really have to "put in work" to mod. I'm a computer idiot and each new map is literally a click, open, and drop in folder. The mod manager is also idiot proof imo.

The main thing that needs to come to consoles is the stats menu. It would make even the existing console maps work way better since it unlocks obstacles and lines that you would float over before on the console's moon physics.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #552 on: October 06, 2020, 02:37:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Disapointed.
[close]

[close]
agreed on them shorthanding consoles but pc players don't really have to "put in work" to mod. I'm a computer idiot and each new map is literally a click, open, and drop in folder. The mod manager is also idiot proof imo.

The main thing that needs to come to consoles is the stats menu. It would make even the existing console maps work way better since it unlocks obstacles and lines that you would float over before on the console's moon physics.

yeah, i get that it's fairly easy, still, other games let you subscribe to mods simply via steam and then they just show up in game. and it's true that maps, clothes, decks etc. can be simply added via drag and drop. but that doesn't change that you actively have to keep up with the mods and updates and all that. the more complicated the mod economy gets the less incentive the devs will have to fix it up because people will expect that all the mods work.

the stat menu just won't come to consoles unless the devs buy the mod and implement it into the game officially. and rn they seem to be chilling, which is cool, but they could say aight guys, we're taking some time off and then we will come back and work with all the modders on the next update and see how we can polish things up further.

just hoped the game would be way more polished than this, it seems the devs put resources into the wrong things, like mo capping, which didn't have that much impact on how good the animations looked imo. i don't get why the stat menu and camera presets, or a exit game option, music options, aren't part of the final release. there's no excuse imo, especially when you call it a sim. sims usually have all kinds of options to customize experience. i see people saying on steam "bro it's a sim, it doesn't need a music menu or too many options, it's for purists only!" yet everyone plays with tons of mods to customize every aspect of the game. the only people reeking in money are the devs.

my main problem is the devs being scummy by releasing the game and apparently peacing out on the project on the grounds that the community will develop the rest of the game for them while they continue to rake in the money, a good amount of which they rightfully deserve. but imo they should then honor their claim of supporting the game after release or at least work with the modding community to implement the most popular mods and pay these people from the money they made from the release. anyways, if easy day studios abandons this game, they will be a burnt dev anyway. apparently the mobile precursor of skater xl has been abandoned right after release as well.

i guess we will see what happens.

Dr Waffles

• Rep: 15
« Reply #553 on: October 06, 2020, 02:55:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure the devs are stuck trying to get the switch port to work. They didn't communicate an awful lot while it was in early access, so this isn't surprising. I'm assuming an update will come with or after the switch release, but not before.
In 5 years skateboarding will be dirtbiking

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #554 on: October 06, 2020, 03:27:48 PM »
I'm pretty sure the devs are stuck trying to get the switch port to work. They didn't communicate an awful lot while it was in early access, so this isn't surprising. I'm assuming an update will come with or after the switch release, but not before.

yeah alright, but i still think it's wack they didn't learn to communicate. it's just expected from a good dev. imagine dlx acting like that, haha. we'd give them so much shit. the devs need to be held under more scrutiny and not glorified under some false gatekeeping mentality that they made a game for "hardcore real life skaters only" which is what i read a dude say, which made me chuckle hard.

anyways, hope you are actually right.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #555 on: October 07, 2020, 12:12:34 AM »
I don't know... as an independent dev trying to get mods/updates through to companies like Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo I assume they're at the very bottom of those companies' lists of priorities. They have FIFA updates to approve and implement. Or Fortnite. Or Call of Duty. Or any number of high profile games that will make a company like Sony probably one million times the money as a game like Skater XL will make them.

It's a shame that the game doesn't have more content, but I really like to turn on the game, turn on a podcast and just chill for 30 minutes or so.

But that is also the way I approach skating. I don't film often. I don't try a lot of tricks that I will get hurt doing. I honestly skate flatground and curbs 90% of the time. Maybe I'm just a boring skateboarder and I like this boring skateboarding video game.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #556 on: October 07, 2020, 02:50:54 PM »
Modded some polar big boys with the Tiago mesh on a custom character. There's clipping with shirts but I much rather run this than the default pant fit. Easy day get on this.
Screenshot (1) by , on Flickr

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #557 on: October 09, 2020, 08:38:40 AM »
Can’t believe there hasn’t been an update, console players truly got fucked. Game had a lot of potential, and still does, but I don’t see an update happening in the future.

Patey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #558 on: October 09, 2020, 11:02:31 AM »
Can’t believe there hasn’t been an update, console players truly got fucked. Game had a lot of potential, and still does, but I don’t see an update happening in the future.

The devs have said they are currently working on content and there will be an update soon. This team is full of good dudes. They care about the game, their not just gonna drop it.

In the meantime, bask in the glory that is PC:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGIRXNugVCb/

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #559 on: October 09, 2020, 12:50:26 PM »
What do you have your stats at? I've been enjoying it around here and tuning it to the map

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #560 on: October 09, 2020, 12:58:42 PM »
i dunno man, full on gravity, but a bit more pop. i have my skater pop just as high so i can clear the highest thing i want to skate. still dabbling with it though. grind and manny pop is the same for me and at a about 0.5 i think. i sometimes think the stats are a lil buggy though. and i play with high and low pop, not strictly baby pop. i think sometimes it looks weird when people have pop too low. i like it better to have it float a little bit, just looks better in footage. sometimes the skaters look like they carry weights or something.

max possible speed.

grind pop off straight or to the side depends on what i skate.

i'd like to have manual catch on but need to set my controller up differently i guess. i hate catching with clicking the stick, i find it to be unreliable. most the time manual catch looks like a yo flip, too. i just keep the flip going via holding the flick and then let it autocatch when it's not super perfect so it doesn't look too generic.

tons of stuff i didn't change or dabble with yet. i'm fine where i am at rn. plays good and i can wallie lots of things, doesn't look or play too floaty, reasonable pop height.

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #561 on: October 09, 2020, 01:52:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The devs have said they are currently working on content and there will be an update soon. This team is full of good dudes. They care about the game, their not just gonna drop it.

Ah shit, ignore my negativity in that case. What platform do the devs communicate through?

Patey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #562 on: October 14, 2020, 10:40:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ah shit, ignore my negativity in that case. What platform do the devs communicate through?

In all fairness, what I read was an instagram comment from the dev team. No official announcement for new content. They have been relatively quiet post release but I have faith in them.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #563 on: October 15, 2020, 08:04:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

In all fairness, what I read was an instagram comment from the dev team. No official announcement for new content. They have been relatively quiet post release but I have faith in them.

Yea since ps5 is dropping soon a lot of game devs have gone silent... i havent seen updates for the few games that i play for last 2-3 months

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #564 on: October 15, 2020, 09:07:26 AM »
I haven't played this in a few weeks, but if they do some updates for console version I will be re-psyched on it. More levels and more customizable options and I'll be good again.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #565 on: October 15, 2020, 01:05:21 PM »
I’m really hoping they release it for switch and include an update with it for all console versions. I’m really wanting some shaped decks.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Hypnotoad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #566 on: October 20, 2020, 02:34:03 PM »
I’ve gotten a lot better and am enjoying myself.

My chief complaint, I want it to be easier to do 180 shuv-it flip tricks, and harder to do the 360 version.

I want to do laser flips, 360 hard flips, and 360 inward heels exactly never.  You should really have to whip it around to do those tricks.

Is there something I’m missing?

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #567 on: October 20, 2020, 02:57:00 PM »
100% agree. I'm getting closer to feeling it out but you have to be so delicate to do a big heel or ghetto bird or something similar. I found turning the little stick display on and practicing helped a bit

doyle

• Rep: 210
« Reply #568 on: October 20, 2020, 04:04:01 PM »
As annoying as it sounds, it just takes practice to be able to do varial/inward/hard flip/heels easily (instead of the 360 variations).

I'm building a PC right now and being able to play modded Skater XL is one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

Dr Waffles

• Rep: 15
« Reply #569 on: October 22, 2020, 03:28:10 PM »
it also helps to manually catch the varial tricks I've found. I still get annoyed with them, but they are much easier when you use the manual catch.
In 5 years skateboarding will be dirtbiking