Author Topic: New Skate Game! Skater XL  (Read 75214 times)

doyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: New Skate Game! Skater XL
« Reply #570 on: October 22, 2020, 06:46:08 PM »
Finally got the PC version and it feels like a totally different game (in a good way). Some clips from Berlin: https://streamable.com/jjp20r

Trilogy

• Rep: -231
« Reply #571 on: October 23, 2020, 02:00:53 AM »
My chief complaint, I want it to be easier to do 180 shuv-it flip tricks, and harder to do the 360 version.

I want to do laser flips, 360 hard flips, and 360 inward heels exactly never.  You should really have to whip it around to do those tricks.

I agree!

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #572 on: October 23, 2020, 12:18:05 PM »
Finally got the PC version and it feels like a totally different game (in a good way). Some clips from Berlin: https://streamable.com/jjp20r
Good on you! Welcome to pc gaming. Enjoy the free online play, modding, frequent sales, and ability to upgrade when you want without buying a 500 dollar hype machine everytime Sony or Microsoft decides you can upgrade. Sorry got carried away. I hate those two companies so much.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #573 on: October 23, 2020, 04:05:22 PM »
haha, i have sort of a creative block.

got all kinds of footage that i can't seem to edit right.

i made some mini edits, some longer ones, they all were fucked in a way. can't explain. i feel like i'm becoming super neurotic about rhythm and music. so i finished a bunch of vids that i discarded then. i guess that's normal when you edit stuff.

Granka

• Rep: 2
« Reply #574 on: October 23, 2020, 04:28:49 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0jv1vTW_ho

Super fun skating Southbank, the map is still in beta but is really promising. No idea when the final version will be released.

Trilogy

• Rep: -231
« Reply #575 on: October 24, 2020, 07:51:32 AM »

Super fun skating Southbank, the map is still in beta but is really promising. No idea when the final version will be released.

That was SICK!!!

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #576 on: October 24, 2020, 01:10:59 PM »
They haven't published anything on social media in the last 50 days, people is constantly asking about updates and maps and there's no answer.

Also it's been more than 3 months since they launched the game and there's no new content for consoles or any news about the switch version.

Maybe they're taking a rest but looks suspicious that they stopped the content on social media. There's someone from the pc comunnity knows something more?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #577 on: October 24, 2020, 03:29:29 PM »
dental plan web intertainment presents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtmdVfSQHik&t=1s

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #578 on: October 24, 2020, 04:48:30 PM »
They haven't published anything on social media in the last 50 days, people is constantly asking about updates and maps and there's no answer.

Also it's been more than 3 months since they launched the game and there's no new content for consoles or any news about the switch version.

Maybe they're taking a rest but looks suspicious that they stopped the content on social media. There's someone from the pc comunnity knows something more?
Porting to nintendo is a famously difficult process. I agree the communication is bad but I wouldn't be surprised if a PS5/new xbox and switch version are what's holding things up

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #579 on: October 24, 2020, 05:50:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That was SICK!!!

yeah super good, lighting looks great! i struggle so hard with that.

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #580 on: October 26, 2020, 07:45:22 AM »
http://www.instagram.com/p/CGz2z7Agtlo/?igshid=1dzf5jlmmz8ek

knew they wouldn’t have gone ghost on social media if they weren’t working on a good update. community maps gonna be available on consoles 

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #581 on: October 26, 2020, 07:48:39 AM »
OOOOOOH BOY!

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #582 on: October 26, 2020, 12:23:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Good on you! Welcome to pc gaming. Enjoy the free online play, modding, frequent sales, and ability to upgrade when you want without buying a 500 dollar hype machine everytime Sony or Microsoft decides you can upgrade. Sorry got carried away. I hate those two companies so much.
I personally think it’s just fine that I haven’t needed to upgrade the PS4 in 7 years. I also haven’t upgraded my PC in the same timespan, and guess how many new games that runs?

But community content on consoles can’t come soon enough, fantastic news!
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #583 on: October 26, 2020, 02:18:51 PM »
Went back to the vanilla version for a bit playing on my Xbox at my homeboys house. Mannnnnnn.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #585 on: October 26, 2020, 06:22:00 PM »
can ne1 figure SKATER XL out. i hav iT insTaLLed.. Skate 3 was coo1
mArLeY

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #586 on: October 27, 2020, 07:28:17 AM »
Any idea what these updates are? Just playing online or ?

Anyway, played this morning (after 3 weeks of Tony Hawk). I prefer this (and Skate) STYLE of control. Even though I can't do grinds worth a shit, I prefer the controls as my feet. Xbox needs some updated gear to use though! The school and Downtown LA are fun af.

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #587 on: October 27, 2020, 05:42:35 PM »
Any idea what these updates are? Just playing online or ?

Anyway, played this morning (after 3 weeks of Tony Hawk). I prefer this (and Skate) STYLE of control. Even though I can't do grinds worth a shit, I prefer the controls as my feet. Xbox needs some updated gear to use though! The school and Downtown LA are fun af.

community maps,clothes etc. i would imagine it's gonna be similar to fallout/skyrim's mod system
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #588 on: October 28, 2020, 09:22:55 AM »
Cool. Played both yesterday.. Fun for different reasons. T Hawk brings back that nostalgia and video game style play (AKA unrealistic crap) but Skater XL is more similar to SKATE. Skating switch in Skater XL fucks me up though because I have to do the tricks in reverse of how I should? Would be nice to have more shoe options though!

doyle

« Reply #589 on: October 28, 2020, 10:04:53 AM »
Cool. Played both yesterday.. Fun for different reasons. T Hawk brings back that nostalgia and video game style play (AKA unrealistic crap) but Skater XL is more similar to SKATE. Skating switch in Skater XL fucks me up though because I have to do the tricks in reverse of how I should? Would be nice to have more shoe options though!
I just think of it the same as doing them nollie.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #590 on: October 29, 2020, 09:24:21 PM »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #591 on: November 01, 2020, 02:33:49 AM »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #592 on: November 04, 2020, 04:51:19 PM »
https://youtu.be/gmUkY_AwTTw

I never did one of these like this.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #593 on: November 05, 2020, 06:13:34 AM »
I need some game advise.

I'm almost always nollie out of lips. Every time I try to pop out properly I fail. What's my problem?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

doyle

« Reply #594 on: November 05, 2020, 07:43:54 AM »
I need some game advise.

I'm almost always nollie out of lips. Every time I try to pop out properly I fail. What's my problem?

It sounds like you're letting go of the joysticks too early.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #595 on: November 05, 2020, 11:54:22 AM »
I need some game advise.

sounds like you dip the nose down while doing the backlip. if you just rotate with the shoulder buttons and just land in the backlip and leave the sticks, you can either nollie or ollie out. that unvoluntary nollie happens to me as well when i dip the nose down during the trick.

what doyle said is also possible. if you turn via the sticks, like a powerslide in the air. if you do em like that you want to hold the position until the skater disenganged by himself from the obstacles, then you can let the sticks go without him doing any sort of pop out. you can also push the sticks to disengage to left or right without pop. looks a bit weird tho.

doyle

« Reply #596 on: November 05, 2020, 12:00:26 PM »
http://www.instagram.com/p/CHNwB--nhrS/

Been posting clips on a new insta account here.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #597 on: November 05, 2020, 12:44:20 PM »
http://www.instagram.com/p/CHNwB--nhrS/

Been posting clips on a new insta account here.

That was really good, the skating and the NYC map. I'm currently playing this on console and cursing myself when I see these really great edits from PC players

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #598 on: November 06, 2020, 03:06:58 AM »
So... for those of those making maps and gear... how does the creation work? Is it like a lego type of thing with pieces to move around and then put like a "street" or "park" or whatever texture over them? Do you create a wireframe?

I'm just curious how close the console version of the mods will be to the pc version. I know it won't be the same at all and will probably still be relatively VERY limited in comparison but I'm still excited about it and I don't intend to buy a pc to play this any time soon.

Regardless, I still play the base console game and enjoy it. It's a fun way to waste time, as a video game should be.

Patey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #599 on: November 09, 2020, 05:42:29 PM »
So... for those of those making maps and gear... how does the creation work? Is it like a lego type of thing with pieces to move around and then put like a "street" or "park" or whatever texture over them? Do you create a wireframe?

I'm just curious how close the console version of the mods will be to the pc version. I know it won't be the same at all and will probably still be relatively VERY limited in comparison but I'm still excited about it and I don't intend to buy a pc to play this any time soon.

Regardless, I still play the base console game and enjoy it. It's a fun way to waste time, as a video game should be.

With custom maps, most of the ones that come out are literally modelled in 3D modeling softwares like Blender and Unity. They certainly not drag and drop pieces in an in-game map editor. They are designed the same way any video game is designed, which involves a lot of learning and practice. Working on it myself at the moment.

However, there is a mod (Dawg's Map Editor Mod) that lets you add pre-fab obstacles to existing maps, so people have been using an empty warehouse map to create their own layouts with said objects. It is limited, though.

As for custom gear, people edit the default textures in photoshop and then port them into the game by placing them in the correct folder. Luckily Easy Day made it convenient for us to do so in a semi recent update. Before that we had to literally rip and edit the game files using third party software which was a drag.

Lastly, when it come to console mods I am pretty sure they are just going to be integrating the skaterxl.mod.io website into the game so that console players can access community content at the click of a button. This will not, however, give those player access to mechanic changing mods like the stats menu, unfortunately. The only way for them to add that feature would be to code it into the game. I suspect they will eventually, as it's a highly requested item and arguably changes the game completely (for the better).