Author Topic: New Skate Game! Skater XL  (Read 75190 times)

Stu Pickles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 95
Re: New Skate Game! Skater XL
« Reply #600 on: November 10, 2020, 10:24:59 AM »
Harsh winter is coming and want to get this game for PC to get my skate fix on days where I cant book time at the indoor (thanks covid) or am too broke to do so. Dont want to pay full price in CDN, anyone know of any deals? Missed the steam sale a week or two back.

Dr Waffles

• Rep: 15
« Reply #601 on: November 10, 2020, 11:19:08 AM »
I just checked a few of the shady steam key resellers and didn't really see anything that much cheaper. I imagine it will go back on sale when the update comes out.
In 5 years skateboarding will be dirtbiking

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #602 on: November 10, 2020, 12:20:50 PM »
Anyone here put some serious time into Skater XL but still like EA Skate better? I was super into Skate and got Skater XL recently for Xbox and have put in maybe 7-8 hours and can do lots of tricks but it's honestly just not that fun to me.

Trilogy

• Rep: -230
« Reply #603 on: November 10, 2020, 02:32:13 PM »
Anyone here put some serious time into Skater XL but still like EA Skate better? I was super into Skate and got Skater XL recently for Xbox and have put in maybe 7-8 hours and can do lots of tricks but it's honestly just not that fun to me.

I am exactly Iike you, this game becomes boring after a while, it's too technical.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #604 on: November 10, 2020, 03:57:10 PM »

Yeah ...I played it all weekend a few months back and havent played it since...they need a new upgrade

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #605 on: November 10, 2020, 04:52:50 PM »
i pretty much only play it when i want to get creative and do a video. i get bored with it quickly otherwise. i also kinda fucked up settings to a point where i don't know how to get em right again. rn i feel very uninspired. might just post single clips on the reddit for now.

i agree about skate, even though they didn't look as real, skate 1 and 2 still felt better to play than skater xl. for me it's really about the visual appeal of the tricks looking real in replays, but sometimes it's not that much fun to get the footage. like i never just skate around the level like i did in the skate games. it doesn't help that the levels are very lifeless because there's no pedestrians or other skaters and no traffic.

Dr Waffles

« Reply #606 on: November 10, 2020, 08:49:10 PM »
I go through phases where I'm into making clips and shit, but a lot of the time I'm playing I'm just fucking around while I'm high and watching something.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #607 on: November 11, 2020, 12:33:57 AM »
i pretty much only play it when i want to get creative and do a video. i get bored with it quickly otherwise. i also kinda fucked up settings to a point where i don't know how to get em right again. rn i feel very uninspired. might just post single clips on the reddit for now.

i agree about skate, even though they didn't look as real, skate 1 and 2 still felt better to play than skater xl. for me it's really about the visual appeal of the tricks looking real in replays, but sometimes it's not that much fun to get the footage. like i never just skate around the level like i did in the skate games. it doesn't help that the levels are very lifeless because there's no pedestrians or other skaters and no traffic.

Being able to get up and continue when you fall or get of the board to walk up stairs and stuff like in Skate 3 would make cruising around more immersive.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Patey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #608 on: November 11, 2020, 04:25:55 PM »
the fun in XL is perfecting your tricks and filming edits, imo

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHRUAg-gdYf/

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #609 on: November 12, 2020, 08:50:46 AM »
yeah, this is exactly how i feel

patiently waiting on skate 4....

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #610 on: November 12, 2020, 09:06:44 AM »

Try out Jboogie or Milky's settings they both feel pretty good.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #611 on: November 12, 2020, 10:46:02 AM »
Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just see so much hype around Skater XL and I just am not into it and felt like I was taking crazy pills.

Not to take away anything from people who love it. My main thing regarding the two is I like to really cruise around and hit spots in ways that they maybe weren't planned for. And I feel like the controls of Skater XL make that way too hard. I feel like even if I mastered the controls and could do any trick on command I still wouldn't be able to interact with the levels the way I want to. Also the fact that if you slam you automatically go back to whatever the last spawn point you created drives me crazy. Really makes pushing around and looking for spots frustrating as hell.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #612 on: November 12, 2020, 11:00:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Try out Jboogie or Milky's settings they both feel pretty good.

nah, i don't like the way the skating looks in their videos. everyone skates with minimum pop, every trick looks like the skaters are artificially dragged down. i hate that. the reason i started making my own edits was because i didn't like most edits. and i'll have my own settings because i don't like how the skating looks in their videos. i try to keep pop height realistic but have some actual airtime, as in real life. i don' want to copy their shit. i'm not even a fan. i care for pals edits and occasionally go through the reddit and vote some shit up. all these youtube talking heads don't interest me.

just riding your boards still sucks ass. no amount of settings tweaking can change that.

Patey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #613 on: November 19, 2020, 11:28:44 AM »
transition skating is super bugged and needs a ton of work but it is possible

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHxwwMwAWaV/

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #614 on: November 19, 2020, 11:45:10 AM »
hope this December update (what day?) is going to make me be more into this game

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #615 on: November 20, 2020, 08:52:11 AM »
hope this December update (what day?) is going to make me be more into this game

live, laugh, love

« Reply #616 on: November 20, 2020, 08:57:59 AM »
Yeah I see people enjoying this game way more on PC. I have it for Xbox. And I haven't touched it since shortly after it was released. Whereas with the Skate series, I was fucking glued to those games to the point where that was all I played. Hopefully EA don't fuck it up with Skate 4.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:01:32 PM by live, laugh, love »

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #617 on: November 20, 2020, 09:24:11 AM »

yea i spent a whole weekend learning transition and agree.

dig the 666 phonk music

Patey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #618 on: November 20, 2020, 04:53:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yea i spent a whole weekend learning transition and agree.

dig the 666 phonk music

thanks doggy

Dr Waffles

« Reply #619 on: November 21, 2020, 10:14:39 AM »
You've been killing it lately Lew.

May as well spam my latest here.
https://youtu.be/mFN6mbyfLbo

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #620 on: November 21, 2020, 01:18:51 PM »
You've been killing it lately Lew.

May as well spam my latest here.
https://youtu.be/mFN6mbyfLbo

I am feelin your vibe bro, the skateing and the editing go so well together!

I have around 200 hours on my skaterxl-clock and I still love it. It is perfect to chill for me and I can see myself putting another 200 hours in it ...

Dr Waffles

« Reply #621 on: November 21, 2020, 01:57:52 PM »
Thanks man, I appreciate that.

I don't really know what I'm doing as far as editing goes, but its been a good creative outlet during this pandemic shit.

Glurmpz

« Reply #622 on: November 21, 2020, 08:50:14 PM »
Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just see so much hype around Skater XL and I just am not into it and felt like I was taking crazy pills.

Not to take away anything from people who love it. My main thing regarding the two is I like to really cruise around and hit spots in ways that they maybe weren't planned for. And I feel like the controls of Skater XL make that way too hard. I feel like even if I mastered the controls and could do any trick on command I still wouldn't be able to interact with the levels the way I want to. Also the fact that if you slam you automatically go back to whatever the last spawn point you created drives me crazy. Really makes pushing around and looking for spots frustrating as hell.

I admittedly didn't give Skater XL more than an hour, but even the edits by people who have it mastered look kind of "off" somehow to me - like the motion and gravity isn't quite right.

With Skate 3 I was hooked after about 2 minutes and could spend endless hours cruising around and searching the roof tops etc. I was able to figure out how to do tricks in different ways to make them look more unique, so I don't really buy into the argument that the tricks always look the same. I assume Skate 4 is gonna be unreal. Can't wait.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #623 on: November 21, 2020, 09:56:20 PM »
i don't like most popular skaterxl vids. gravity seems way too heavy, tre flips almost rolling on the ground. the community fetishizes low pop/ankle weight skating and reverts to an extent it makes a lot of vids unwatchable for me. what i'm missing in most edits is hangtime of tricks and speed. everything looks slow.

rn can't be bothered to play anymore. i have this mountainbike game called descenders which is pretty sick, maybe i'll try and make videos with that since i learned some basic editing chops with skaterxl.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #624 on: November 22, 2020, 04:32:27 AM »

I feel ya. There’s no character to the game. Technically it’s more expressive but it sure doesn’t feel like it.  I think the physics are kinda dogshit and put flips ahead of feel. Both this and Session feel like pushing a balloon around,  there’s no momentum or weight about them which leaves me flat.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #625 on: November 25, 2020, 06:48:33 AM »
Kinda fun finding different ways to skate this semi shitty spot

https://youtu.be/yykaKDcpVMU

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #626 on: November 25, 2020, 11:14:18 AM »
i find myself going back to it every now and then i just cant be bothered to make all these edits and stuff. I jsut have way better things to do with my time i feel like lol. It is a great game and I have found cool ways to have my own take on the game.

Some of your guys complaints particularly Watson you made a comment about how you dont like to skate around and look for stuff, its super painful... The game is not meant to be played that way unfortunately. You have to come to the realization that this is an indie game made by a super super small team on a low budget. If they were to build animations for the guy getting off the board and stuff like that it would cost a lot more money. They spent the budget imo in the correct places first that needed it - simulating skateboarding on a controller.

I wont disagree the game doesnt look / feel like shit doing certain things. That is somewhat of the charm though seeing if you can "hack" the game to make it do something that normally isnt possible. you have to ride down grass to get speed for certain gaps and shit that you wouldnt do irl. have to think outside the box a little bit. sometimes you have to just find a trick that does look good on that spot and that's that.

not gonna lie though I would be more invested into the game if i had people to play with + make edits with + boards + clothes and stuff. would be cool to make a SLAP team + edit I think i am thinking the same thing as a lot of you guys i just want to stay away from those wild ass fat bill camera angles and trap edits and just make something that has cool skating in it lol
ONTARIO CANADA

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #627 on: November 26, 2020, 04:49:37 AM »
Yeah it's the fact it's a 'trick simulator' more than a 'skating simulator' that leaves me flat.  Skate 1 was a better skateboard game for the fact it felt closer to skating & discovery.  This is all small levels with a few spots that arent that surprising.  Sure, it's an indy game, and is amazing for that, but it's now been released, and even with updates still coming out, the core of what it is isn't going to change. 

Same for session, they had all the right intentions, but that games stiff as a board and still glitchy and I doubt it's in their roadmap to make the game feel fun to play over looking right, if that makes sense.  None of these games feel good.  Skater XL at least looks good when people make replays, but shit i'd rather watch real skating.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #628 on: November 26, 2020, 07:07:48 AM »
Yep i cant agree with you more on that buddy. The game in no way represents what a holistic view of what skateboarding actually is about, they just wanted people to be able to stack clips. I think if you consider that was their aim they did a decent enough job of it but yeah it gets boring after awhile. can see why the appeal is geared towards a certain crowd... I still go back to thrasher: Skate and Destroy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3XIcKzC3SY
ONTARIO CANADA

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #629 on: November 26, 2020, 07:14:36 AM »
that game was so good. imagine rockstar made a skateboarding game nowadays. there's potential for greatness.