Author Topic: New Skate Game! Skater XL  (Read 75222 times)

dumptruck12

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: -102
Re: New Skate Game! Skater XL
« Reply #720 on: December 17, 2020, 06:52:47 PM »
That Quebec level sucks, it’s so small, and tightly packed, even the hockey rink spot is wack. Coulda been better

City of Drunken Totems

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #721 on: December 17, 2020, 09:35:25 PM »
that's what I mean, all the work and effort I'm sure it took to get the modded content on console and those are the levels they choose?

of all the levels I've seen PC players play, I can't imagine anyone wants some fucking tiny skatepark in quebec.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #722 on: December 18, 2020, 01:00:20 AM »
I have a feeling it's very complicated to get all of this shit through the bureaucracy of Microsoft/Sony/Steam bullshit and this is a small startup company who don't know exactly what they're doing nor do they have the power to push things through as quickly as EA or a similar company would.

That being said, I downloaded the 3 maps and a shirt and the fake AWS decks and my game crashed 4 times before I gave up and just said fuck it. I was able to play Riverfern and I liked the map, but the framerate was noticeably way worse.

I do like the game, but I will not play it in it's current state. It's a shame. Hope they can fix it.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #723 on: December 18, 2020, 06:25:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I REALLY WANT TO LIKE THIS GAME
[close]

I enjoyed it for the first month on the consol....after seeing all the clips people put together with their modded PCs and it just doesn't seem worth while using on PS4.
[close]

I mean it's also not worth putting together a gaming PC for either if you don't already have one. I think for the price it's a really fun experience on consoles (recent bugs and performance aside) I'll gladly take this gameplay on current consoles over nothing.
[close]

so just playing a on a standard PC wont work?  I just bought a new HP Pc with good specs for doing 3D CAD  work,  should be okay for playing video games then right?  Not trying to build a pc just for games

This game runs on a toaster bro
ONTARIO CANADA

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #724 on: December 19, 2020, 12:12:07 AM »
There's a new patch that fixes crashes and donwload problems

https://twitter.com/skater_xl/status/1340169588483354624?s=21

Anyway framerate problems are still there, I know they're an small team without much experience but their way to communicate is really poor.

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #725 on: December 24, 2020, 08:41:30 AM »
There's a new patch that fixes crashes and donwload problems

https://twitter.com/skater_xl/status/1340169588483354624?s=21

Anyway framerate problems are still there, I know they're an small team without much experience but their way to communicate is really poor.
this helped immensely with playing on my base ps4, mod gear and levels seem to work much much better
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #726 on: December 25, 2020, 01:18:16 AM »
Alright I’ve got maybe 20 hours on this thing I already remember why I hate video games
It’s really hard for me to get a proper nice line

I wish you could place and move objects like skate3
One can also do nice catches with the joysticks on ps4 front foot for flips and back foot for shoves but you guys probably already know this but if you didn’t hit the other joystick you didn’t catch with right after

I’m trying to do a bunch of shit grecs did at those banks but I just fucking can’t
Still trying though
This will sound funny but that dtla map got me fucked up there’s so many video famous spots there

holy moly I love it
listen to cosmic psychos

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #727 on: December 26, 2020, 02:46:40 PM »
It's a shame that a very vocal fanbase asked for customized gear and maps when what they really needed to ask for is stat customization. Even with the base maps, not having the ridiculous gravity and pop heights would make the game a million times more fun for you guys. Even if you guys had the hottest pc maps, it would be pretty lack luster when you can barely hit anything when you're soaring over every obstacle.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #728 on: December 26, 2020, 02:57:05 PM »
i had the opposite impression actually. as in on steam it seems in the discussions people would have rather have a physics update or implementation of stats menu than easier gear implementation, especially since the gear is wack as fuck and it all looks like it's designed by little kids downing cough syrup recreationally.

ffs get wallrides and no complys in the game you stupid devs.

game is still the fucking same as in alpha without mods.

Trilogy

• Rep: -232
« Reply #729 on: December 27, 2020, 04:23:09 AM »
It's a shame that a very vocal fanbase asked for customized gear and maps when what they really needed to ask for is stat customization. Even with the base maps, not having the ridiculous gravity and pop heights would make the game a million times more fun for you guys. Even if you guys had the hottest pc maps, it would be pretty lack luster when you can barely hit anything when you're soaring over every obstacle.

exactly, when I just want to do an ollie the skater makes an insane shove-it, when i just to do a kicklip the skater does a crazy forward double flip, when i just want to do an hardflip and the skater makes an insane crazy trick that is practically physically impossible.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #730 on: December 28, 2020, 04:16:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

exactly, when I just want to do an ollie the skater makes an insane shove-it, when i just to do a kicklip the skater does a crazy forward double flip, when i just want to do an hardflip and the skater makes an insane crazy trick that is practically physically impossible.
Fortunately you can still do those tricks without the stats mod. Just be more deliberate with your joysticks and the pop and flick timing. I'm more talking about the ridiculous height you pop at at vanilla settings that make the maps unfun.

i had the opposite impression actually. as in on steam it seems in the discussions people would have rather have a physics update or implementation of stats menu than easier gear implementation, especially since the gear is wack as fuck and it all looks like it's designed by little kids downing cough syrup recreationally.

Unfortunately, I think console users are at the helm of demanding what actually gets implemented since its the biggest market in gaming despite pc growing over the years. Hopefully that will change in the future since next gen is getting expensive and the price points are closing in. PC has a bigger buy in cost but actually saves you money over time over consoles.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #731 on: December 28, 2020, 04:57:55 AM »
Sometimes I overshoot stuff but I reckon less likely just doing ollie with one joystick and just like letting it go rather than going back in the opposite direction
Still, could be better tho
listen to cosmic psychos

Trilogy

« Reply #732 on: December 28, 2020, 01:04:50 PM »
OK, so after playing this game for a few hours the main issue I have with it is that it's really hard to just do a proper 180 bs/fs shove-it, so it's almost impossible to dominate hardflips, inward hellflips, varial heelfips and varial flips, which is really not cool.

It's a shame, because the game has a lot of potential and the graphics are really good.

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #733 on: January 01, 2021, 08:09:25 AM »
OK, so after playing this game for a few hours the main issue I have with it is that it's really hard to just do a proper 180 bs/fs shove-it, so it's almost impossible to dominate hardflips, inward hellflips, varial heelfips and varial flips, which is really not cool.

It's a shame, because the game has a lot of potential and the graphics are really good.
The stat customization mod has options that really make a huge difference with this I think but unfortunately that’s still not even available for the console version

Trilogy

« Reply #734 on: January 02, 2021, 03:38:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
The stat customization mod has options that really make a huge difference with this I think but unfortunately that’s still not even available for the console version

do you think it will be available?

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #735 on: January 03, 2021, 08:27:20 AM »
it's almost impossible to dominate hardflips, inward hellflips, varial heelfips and varial flips, which is really not cool.

Definitely disagree here. If you try them in different ways they can look so good. Can do them so they look terrible or you can do them so they look like Bryan Herman. Keep messing with it

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #736 on: January 03, 2021, 09:38:46 AM »
Expand Quote
it's almost impossible to dominate hardflips, inward hellflips, varial heelfips and varial flips, which is really not cool.
[close]

Definitely disagree here. If you try them in different ways they can look so good. Can do them so they look terrible or you can do them so they look like Bryan Herman. Keep messing with it

i agree. even better when you can use stats menu to manipulate how the board flips and how your feet catch it. i managed to tweak it just right to get herman hardflips. but my treflips have suffered. i haven't found stats that make all tricks look equally stylish. it's definetly possible to create a few different styles of flicking via stats menu, or just by being really good at the game.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #737 on: January 03, 2021, 10:36:41 AM »
im hella out of the loop, just found out this exists last week (had heard of it but never looked into it bc i had no way to play. got out of the hospital and my lil brother gave me his old xbox 1 to fuck with) only put a few hours in so far but i fucks with it.

we need stats customization on console. and wide boards.

fun for a game thats nowhere near finished. better than skate in terms of how you play/learning tricks/ reality if youre trying.

its fucked watching some of these youtube kids, i cant listen to them talk, but god damn that Milky kid makes the PC version look so much better. that dude is pretty fucked up at this game kids crazy with it

overall definitely something i will do while avoiding shitty weather and recovering from some recent health complications. thanks skaterxl

is session worth $20? guess i gotta check that thread too. any games in general actually for the xboxone hit me with recomendations i got nothing but time to kill for 2 months.

free max b
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:15:38 AM by Pete »
FREE MAX B

foureyedjim

« Reply #738 on: January 03, 2021, 12:36:52 PM »
Apparently the lead developer left the company.  Not sure what this means, the game will probably die on console and survive off PC mods...

Session seems to be chugging along as far as development goes.  It’s slowly getting better and they’re taking time with it.  The latest update seems like a step in the right direction, 20 dollars seems worth it to me.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #739 on: January 03, 2021, 01:53:58 PM »

is session worth $20? guess i gotta check that thread too. any games in general actually for the xboxone hit me with recomendations i got nothing but time to kill for 2 months.

free max b

With the new 0.0.0.6 update coming this month, Session is a much better game and they’re only half way through development. They’re concentrating on getting the game fundamentally right whereas Skater XL felt like a cashed up dash that they ran out of money to finish. It’s pretty hollow.

Brief list of things session gets right;
Levels: it’s levels are modelled off real cities, and they feel great. You ‘find’ spots and it’s super satisfying
Flips and Ollies feel way better. Not as floaty, look rad.
Grinds have better resistance to them, not everything feeling like coping as in XL.
Sound is great. Grinds sound spot on
Gravity exists
Can walk
Can’t quickzoom anywhere and have to skate/walk. Small thing but for me it keeps me in the right skating headspace.

Turning is still shit on both games which drives me nuts. Have any of these devs actually turned on a skateboard?

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #740 on: January 03, 2021, 06:03:48 PM »
My best attempt at a Bryan Herman nollie inward heel on console

https://youtu.be/klWJXy-BjOU

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #741 on: January 03, 2021, 07:45:50 PM »
I'm sure some of ya'll have seen this thread:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114428.0

This got me more motivated to play on console. I thought Quebec was whack at first, however, am warming up to it and enjoy the challenge of having to slow down and be more precise.

It would be a wildly different game for me if console had stat modifications. That said, it's been nice to have a couple of new levels to fuck around with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEhVYE0y66A

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #742 on: January 04, 2021, 06:43:22 AM »
sup guys I am looking to make a pals edit I have stacked footage over the past month and would like to cut deadline soon, hit me up in the discord with your footage plz!
ONTARIO CANADA

Trilogy

« Reply #743 on: January 04, 2021, 10:51:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i agree. even better when you can use stats menu to manipulate how the board flips and how your feet catch it. i managed to tweak it just right to get herman hardflips. but my treflips have suffered. i haven't found stats that make all tricks look equally stylish. it's definetly possible to create a few different styles of flicking via stats menu, or just by being really good at the game.

maybe if you customize stats, but I have the Xbox version...

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #744 on: January 04, 2021, 11:34:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

maybe if you customize stats, but I have the Xbox version...

it’s possible to do all those tricks on console, i play on xbox and can do all of those only one i have trouble with is varial flips. you just gotta flick the stick slower and less of a rotation and if it over flips you can still catch manually with the sticks to get a hard flip or varial heel

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #745 on: January 04, 2021, 11:13:46 PM »
@rawbertson.

do you have a new discord link to send you clips?

got discord now running, just need the link.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #746 on: January 05, 2021, 02:18:22 PM »
I would be really surprised if there was ever a stats menu released for consoles. Maybe an easy, normal, hardcore setting like in ea skate, but I doubt the pc stats mod type stuff would go through the platform guidelines/QC. But then again they did get all of their previous bugs through as well so maybe I’m in for a surprise.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #747 on: January 05, 2021, 02:28:28 PM »
PC has a bigger buy in cost but actually saves you money over time over consoles.
How do you mean? I’m playing on a PS4 that came out seven years ago, and everyone I currently know who are really into PC gaming buy GPUs that cost about a consoles worth atleast every 2 years. When I used to build my PCs I definitely did upgrades during a 5 year cycle even if I wasn’t buying to top of the line GPUs. I also payed 80 bucks for the PS4 but thats an unfair comparison.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #748 on: January 06, 2021, 01:53:00 PM »

burm

• SLAP Pal