Author Topic: New Skate Game! Skater XL  (Read 75211 times)

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
Re: New Skate Game! Skater XL
« Reply #750 on: January 07, 2021, 06:20:35 AM »
This man is not very smart

I mean he's right, this game is shit on console and the stats menu feature has been requested by the community for a while and there's been no word on it. Easy Day's communication is gonna continue to suck unless the community actually presses them about it.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

burm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #751 on: January 07, 2021, 10:48:43 AM »
Expand Quote

I mean he's right, this game is shit on console and the stats menu feature has been requested by the community for a while and there's been no word on it. Easy Day's communication is gonna continue to suck unless the community actually presses them about it.

I get the argument that mods make the game better, and he has every right to make it, he's just not very intelligent in his argumentation. But show me one game that isn't better with mods.

Sure, if they made it so that you could move a bunch of sliders to tweak every aspect of the gameplay it would make it more fun for you. On the flipside there is all of the rest of the console players who don't want to have to move a bunch of sliders to make the game playable. When you give players the control to affect how the game plays, the developers lose control of the game. How do you design a map when every player has different physics? How do you test the game when every player has a different mixture of stats? When you make a mod you can say "if it breaks, it breaks" but that doesn't fly with Sony or Microsoft.

I'm cynical and biased since I work in a small gaming company and I get misguided but goodhearted ideas every day from players about what we need to do to make the game great, while I see that 95% of players don't want that and when we test it out it makes no different or has negative effect. And then the same suggestion the next day, for the rest of days. For us SkaterXL is a skateboarding simulator more than a game, and admittedly it's very light on the "game" part so maybe they should move it even more to the sim direction, but I'm doubtful that there is business to be made with a sandbox skateboarding simulator. Like I said earlier, something like a hardcore mode I could see, and I'm happy to be wrong about the stats menu, but I just mainly see it as game-breaking in the larger scheme of things, instead of the path to being "the greatest game of all time".
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #752 on: January 07, 2021, 11:14:41 AM »
Yeah console players need to emphasize requesting just a Hardcore mode rather than full stats. We'll never get full stat mods and I wouldn't even want them for every reason above me.  Skate 3 successfully had different difficulties so this game can too

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #753 on: January 07, 2021, 11:55:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I get the argument that mods make the game better, and he has every right to make it, he's just not very intelligent in his argumentation. But show me one game that isn't better with mods.

Sure, if they made it so that you could move a bunch of sliders to tweak every aspect of the gameplay it would make it more fun for you. On the flipside there is all of the rest of the console players who don't want to have to move a bunch of sliders to make the game playable. When you give players the control to affect how the game plays, the developers lose control of the game. How do you design a map when every player has different physics? How do you test the game when every player has a different mixture of stats? When you make a mod you can say "if it breaks, it breaks" but that doesn't fly with Sony or Microsoft.

I'm cynical and biased since I work in a small gaming company and I get misguided but goodhearted ideas every day from players about what we need to do to make the game great, while I see that 95% of players don't want that and when we test it out it makes no different or has negative effect. And then the same suggestion the next day, for the rest of days. For us SkaterXL is a skateboarding simulator more than a game, and admittedly it's very light on the "game" part so maybe they should move it even more to the sim direction, but I'm doubtful that there is business to be made with a sandbox skateboarding simulator. Like I said earlier, something like a hardcore mode I could see, and I'm happy to be wrong about the stats menu, but I just mainly see it as game-breaking in the larger scheme of things, instead of the path to being "the greatest game of all time".

I get what you're saying. But the implementation of the stats has kind of become a core feature of the game if you're on PC. A lot of people don't really care to play this game in it's vanilla state I mean just look at the previous pages in this thread. As for the scaling I could be totally wrong here but I don't think it'd have a super drastic effect on map development since the main flaw with this game is it's gravity not the pop height. Pop height itself could be improved but it's not the worst.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #754 on: January 07, 2021, 11:58:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I agree the argument was really weak, although it was sound for the most part, he really falls into his own feelings rather than what gamers (outside of skater) want.  Skate was successful IMO because of its ability to be a video game.  Skate XL can be just that. 

If was designed to be a simulator they should say so, make it as one...and make it like those racing games (where you can engineer your car and driving style). 

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #755 on: January 07, 2021, 12:19:09 PM »
@rawbertson.

do you have a new discord link to send you clips?

got discord now running, just need the link.
@Frank
https://discord.gg/wJTbWS72
ONTARIO CANADA

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #756 on: January 07, 2021, 12:51:04 PM »
I will admit I haven’t played the PC version so I might be a bit more OK with the console than I should be.

Someone mentioned the lead programmer leaving and I thought that might not be too bad, you can get new developers, but looking closer at the company now he was the co-founder (and former pro skater?) as well and now they have like 3 people left on Linkedin so I’m slightly worried.

With the amount of bugs still in the game and the lack of game mechanics it actually might be their best bet to turn this into a simulation platform and turn the mod browser into a marketplace. Be the Roblox of skate games or whatever. Or is that what they are doing already... I might have been looking at this all wrong.

Trilogy

• Rep: -230
« Reply #757 on: January 07, 2021, 03:11:40 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f55emLnbwM&t=225s&ab_channel=Milky

just look at how realistic this version looks compared to my Xbox version, this guy is TOTALLY RIGHT!

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #758 on: January 07, 2021, 10:21:44 PM »
My best attempt at a Bryan Herman nollie inward heel on console

https://youtu.be/klWJXy-BjOU

How did you do this?
Please
listen to cosmic psychos

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #759 on: January 07, 2021, 10:46:04 PM »
it's like when you do a backlip without the shoulder buttons, but just the sticks. you tilt left foot/stick to the right and the rigth stick to the left at the same time to do a shifty basically.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #760 on: January 07, 2021, 11:51:40 PM »
Ohh yep like how you do 360s on flat, I hadn’t thought about that or even doing lip slides without the shoulder buttons

Thanks, Frank

Edit

That’s so sick, back tails and back lips didn’t look right before

Spewing about no stat mod cause it seems the most realistic looking way for a lot of stuff is with both joysticks but as everyone has said you go too high on console
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 01:24:51 PM by matty_c »
listen to cosmic psychos

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #761 on: January 11, 2021, 08:07:17 PM »
@rawbertson.

Are you still planning to do a Pals edit? I have a few clips saved that I never used for anything, however they have some feedback sound from my microphone but it's all just dead air buzzing and totally usable if you plan to add music in your edit.

I'm not expecting you to use all clips btw lol, just whichever ones you like if any.

https://youtu.be/AcGRzdej9OA

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #762 on: January 12, 2021, 09:17:36 AM »
Wow those maps look so damn fun. Dope clips

foureyedjim

« Reply #763 on: January 12, 2021, 10:59:05 PM »
I spent an embarrassing amount of time filming some of these, hope y'all enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2FGMMLKmQo

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #764 on: January 13, 2021, 07:04:34 AM »
Expand Quote
@rawbertson.

do you have a new discord link to send you clips?

got discord now running, just need the link.
[close]
@Frank
https://discord.gg/wJTbWS72

If you're still doing this I have a bunch of stuff I could give to ya.

No probs if not.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #765 on: January 13, 2021, 07:56:53 AM »
@rawbertson.

Are you still planning to do a Pals edit? I have a few clips saved that I never used for anything, however they have some feedback sound from my microphone but it's all just dead air buzzing and totally usable if you plan to add music in your edit.

I'm not expecting you to use all clips btw lol, just whichever ones you like if any.

https://youtu.be/AcGRzdej9OA

I will use em buddy!!  join the discord! thnaks for posting the youtube i can use this it will look a bit ghetto but w/e maybe next time u guys can send me the clips directly through discord
ONTARIO CANADA

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #766 on: January 13, 2021, 07:58:01 AM »

just look at how realistic this version looks compared to my Xbox version, this guy is TOTALLY RIGHT!

lol yeah honetsly really does not add much value to me to have faster spinning 3 flips and shit! looks fine the way it is.
ONTARIO CANADA

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #767 on: January 13, 2021, 12:02:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

lol yeah honetsly really does not add much value to me to have faster spinning 3 flips and shit! looks fine the way it is.
faster spin is like the tip of the iceberg to me. Not floating a foot above a ledge when you pop out of grinds or being able to skate low obstacles without clearing most of it is where the stat mods shine.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 472
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #768 on: January 13, 2021, 03:16:53 PM »
This shits gonna die on the vine.

foureyedjim

« Reply #769 on: January 14, 2021, 11:12:55 PM »
This shits gonna die on the vine.
If session develops the way they've been going it's definitely going to overtake skaterxl.
In the meantime, skaterxl's modding community is keeping it more fun for me. 

Some guy is making a really fun SF hills map.  I just spent two whole days skating one map
http://youtu.be/lPIZarWIJUQ

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #771 on: January 18, 2021, 03:47:38 PM »
I like the video editor a lot man, stats or no stats.
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #772 on: January 18, 2021, 11:36:28 PM »
I always instinctively hit O when I'm like 80% done with a clip and just exit out of the editor without saving anything and don't have the willpower or time to do it again.

That's why I only save the clips unedited thinking I might go back some day to make them proper.

doyle

• Rep: 210
« Reply #773 on: January 19, 2021, 07:40:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I always instinctively hit O when I'm like 80% done with a clip and just exit out of the editor without saving anything and don't have the willpower or time to do it again.

That's why I only save the clips unedited thinking I might go back some day to make them proper.

If you've set keyframes and exit out of the editor they should still be there when you return. Just press the touch pad button thing (or xbox equivalent) to switch to toggle "Use Keyframes" on and it should show you the previously edited version.

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #774 on: January 22, 2021, 08:37:34 AM »
new map for console, hopefully this means more maps are gonna be added regularly

http://www.instagram.com/p/CKWi0XQsep5/?igshid=1gn16mj120edk

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #775 on: January 22, 2021, 09:34:38 AM »
new map for console, hopefully this means more maps are gonna be added regularly

Stoked to play this when I get off work today, hopefully they add a hardcore mod soon
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

hmmmokay

« Reply #776 on: January 22, 2021, 09:51:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Stoked to play this when I get off work today, hopefully they add a hardcore mod soon

This level would benefit from that for sure. Just played for a bit and as with Quebec skate plaza, it feels small with current physics/stats.

But as it was said, hopefully this is indeed a sign that maps will be added more regularly.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #777 on: January 22, 2021, 10:04:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They confirmed in a Q&A there won't be any stat modifications or hardcore mode coming soon.

As for the park, got excited and 30 seconds in the place already sucks. Still hyped to see a new one come out a month after the last batch tho so I'll be happy if they can continue at this pace of getting something new to us.  Also there's custom grip mod now for a chipped deck, couldn't help but get excited about that

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #778 on: January 22, 2021, 12:24:33 PM »
I'm barely playing this lately.

I'm just at bummed on the console look and feel.

I guess everyone is.

If I had a computer I would make a GG Allin character.

Then I could have fun.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #779 on: January 23, 2021, 11:30:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They confirmed in a Q&A there won't be any stat modifications or hardcore mode coming soon.

As for the park, got excited and 30 seconds in the place already sucks. Still hyped to see a new one come out a month after the last batch tho so I'll be happy if they can continue at this pace of getting something new to us.  Also there's custom grip mod now for a chipped deck, couldn't help but get excited about that
As it stands right now on console, can confirm that this level is only fun for 15 minutes (if that)
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post