Author Topic: New Skate Game! Skater XL  (Read 75269 times)

Jordan Wiens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
Re: New Skate Game! Skater XL
« Reply #810 on: April 10, 2021, 09:55:41 PM »
https://streamable.com/jtca3t

footage for an upcoming crew edit
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #811 on: April 11, 2021, 12:31:11 AM »
Going back to  this after getting used to Session and it feels so lifeless.  Grinds are just static and slide like ice, there's no friction, no inertia.  Session ain't perfect but they've definitely taken the lead.  Skater XL is fun in a Skate 3 / Arcadey doing dumb shit way still though

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #812 on: April 11, 2021, 02:32:05 AM »
Going back to  this after getting used to Session and it feels so lifeless.  Grinds are just static and slide like ice, there's no friction, no inertia.  Session ain't perfect but they've definitely taken the lead.  Skater XL is fun in a Skate 3 / Arcadey doing dumb shit way still though

yeah, same. i'm not sure what it is with session that makes it feel a little better to me. it's probably that grinds and mannys just feel way better, but are also harder to do. stat menu was definetly good move for session.

i want to check out skaterxl multiplayer, anyone know how the stats will work? anyone tried it? will everyone have the same settings on a server and can those be changed? if i have to play default controls i kind of don't want to play it.

both games still lack feeling of momentum and weight. like increasing gravity doesn't really make the player heavier, it just increases magnetism. i miss some sense of impact and momentum in both still. rolling around still off in both titles.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #813 on: April 12, 2021, 05:34:10 AM »
From the video I saw, each player in the multiplayer session apparently could have their own stats from any mods they were using. It might not be a good look to do that in the official release, especially if you want to have cross-platform play or competitive modes in the future. But it seems like their vibe is to make it unstructured so they might not even try to make a "S.K.A.T.E" mode.

take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #814 on: April 12, 2021, 05:37:29 AM »
I haven't been rooting for multiplayer since I don't have any friends, much less friends who would want to play Skater XL, but it did look like it could be kind of fun to try especially with familiar people and a voice chat so you could call out trick before you do them.

I don't understand why they insist on having the player always spawn at the marker, it kind of breaks the immersion for me to teleport everytime I fall instead of just getting back up.

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #815 on: April 13, 2021, 02:47:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah, same. i'm not sure what it is with session that makes it feel a little better to me. it's probably that grinds and mannys just feel way better, but are also harder to do. stat menu was definetly good move for session.

i want to check out skaterxl multiplayer, anyone know how the stats will work? anyone tried it? will everyone have the same settings on a server and can those be changed? if i have to play default controls i kind of don't want to play it.

both games still lack feeling of momentum and weight. like increasing gravity doesn't really make the player heavier, it just increases magnetism. i miss some sense of impact and momentum in both still. rolling around still off in both titles.

There are currently mods for the PC version where you get a stats menu and you can mess with anything really.

Easy Day Studios have been getting a lot of heat from a bunch of the most influential players in this game in order to release some kind of stats menu so that people on console don't get so far behind on the skating experience.

I recommend you check out Milky. He's this canadian dude that I've been following since the first lockdown and you should see him playing... You take his gameplay and put it up next to a vanilla gameplay and you are basically looking at two different games, it's unreal.

But hey, I'm more of a Skater XL guy myself.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #816 on: April 13, 2021, 04:58:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There are currently mods for the PC version where you get a stats menu and you can mess with anything really.

Easy Day Studios have been getting a lot of heat from a bunch of the most influential players in this game in order to release some kind of stats menu so that people on console don't get so far behind on the skating experience.

I recommend you check out Milky. He's this canadian dude that I've been following since the first lockdown and you should see him playing... You take his gameplay and put it up next to a vanilla gameplay and you are basically looking at two different games, it's unreal.

But hey, I'm more of a Skater XL guy myself.

yeah yeah, i know that, i played the game for hundreds of hours and modded the shit out of it, made a couple edits you can find on the earlier pages, too, until i was over it. that doesn't change the fact that both games still don't get momentum right, which the skate games did, and apart from being dragged down, the gravity settings do nothing to the skaters actual weight. the way the skater bails in both games confirms this to me, as the characters usually just sink into themselves like stickfigures. the modding doesn't help. it feels like steering a balloon person around. there's no texture to the different grounds you roll on, there's no sensation of actual rolling, powerslides don't feel like actual slides.

and i know milky and all those guys but seriously they are not critical enough of this game. they are basically doing pr work for easy day and that sucks. instead of apologizing on behalf of the game maker for the half assed state of the game and continuing to say "hey, at least you can mod it on pc and then it's cool!" they should give the devs more shit, but skateboarders are just super complacent consumers all around, hence we buy trash shoes by trash corps for insane money and fund trash games like skater xl. and i don't mean this in the game is not fun, it's just a trash product when held to wider standards in the video game industry. session is less bad but i'm over it as well. they are both glitched out or unfinished. also how hard can it be to figure out wallies/wallrides and no complies.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #817 on: April 13, 2021, 05:19:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

100% agree.  They both still feel like they're balloons, and it drives me mad.  Session is better at hiding it, but i'm worried the actual physics just dont allow momentum & g force to matter.  Weight shifting & the impact of the ground need to be more important to these games.  Turning needs to be totally redone too, so you can lean into turns use your weight to break traction and to lean into slappies & wallies etc.  I hassled Session for a while on this and they said turning is pretty close to done which bums me out massively.  The main thing that is skateboarding is using your weight & momentum with the board. From pushing, turning, ollieing, landing tricks, its the fundemental thing.  I'd love someone to make a game ground up that just focuses on turning.  Build the physics around how skateboarding actually works, and make turns & carves fun & satisfying, then go from there.  Sure that's next to impossible, but it'd be incredible.

I think if you're focused on just doing tricks, they're fun but if you want them to feel fun to just 'skate' then they fall apart.  Skate 3 did it better.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #818 on: April 13, 2021, 05:38:51 AM »
Unrelated to the above topic, but I just played the emb map for the first time. Bummed they didn’t drain the fountain, added a bunch of shit to it that was never there, and it didn’t seem very accurate to the actual lay out.

That being said, I got to live a life long fantasy of pretending I was the mayor in 1993.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #819 on: April 14, 2021, 10:14:15 PM »
Unrelated to the above topic, but I just played the emb map for the first time. Bummed they didn’t drain the fountain, added a bunch of shit to it that was never there, and it didn’t seem very accurate to the actual lay out.

That being said, I got to live a life long fantasy of pretending I was the mayor in 1993.

Yeah, they royally fucked that one up.  Nearly as ridiculous as their LA Carwash bank

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #820 on: April 15, 2021, 09:07:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, they royally fucked that one up.  Nearly as ridiculous as their LA Carwash bank

Biggest fuck up to me was the Hyatt rail ...it’s just some huge curb

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #821 on: April 16, 2021, 04:49:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

100% agree.  They both still feel like they're balloons, and it drives me mad.  Session is better at hiding it, but i'm worried the actual physics just dont allow momentum & g force to matter.  Weight shifting & the impact of the ground need to be more important to these games.  Turning needs to be totally redone too, so you can lean into turns use your weight to break traction and to lean into slappies & wallies etc.  I hassled Session for a while on this and they said turning is pretty close to done which bums me out massively.  The main thing that is skateboarding is using your weight & momentum with the board. From pushing, turning, ollieing, landing tricks, its the fundemental thing.  I'd love someone to make a game ground up that just focuses on turning.  Build the physics around how skateboarding actually works, and make turns & carves fun & satisfying, then go from there.  Sure that's next to impossible, but it'd be incredible.

I think if you're focused on just doing tricks, they're fun but if you want them to feel fun to just 'skate' then they fall apart.  Skate 3 did it better.
If you look at how they build the physics and vehicle dynamics in the modern racing games, I doubt a skateboard would be impossible. Just requires a different level of resources.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #822 on: April 16, 2021, 04:58:40 AM »
been playing the multiplayer with a buddy at emb last night. it's sick that most mods work in the beta branch as well as the xxl beta branch mod. played a game of skate over the gonz gap. there was some desync, so i couldn't really see my dude skating in real time. rather he was teleporting around. if this gets better it could be pretty fun. also thinking about skating along a buddy to film his line should be pretty cool. sucks that you don't get to wear custom items, but not a dealbreaker.

i still think the devs are total amateurs and most cool shit has been done by modders but i am pleased by this addition.

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #823 on: April 16, 2021, 05:05:39 AM »
I don't know if it's confirmed but someone gave a story that the original developers of the game abandoned the project some fans/testers picked it up and are now Easy Day Studios. So "total amateurs" would be pretty much correct. It makes sense therefore for them to focus on setting up a user-created content if they don't have the capabilities to create that stuff themselves.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #824 on: April 16, 2021, 05:19:55 AM »
I don't know if it's confirmed but someone gave a story that the original developers of the game abandoned the project some fans/testers picked it up and are now Easy Day Studios. So "total amateurs" would be pretty much correct. It makes sense therefore for them to focus on setting up a user-created content if they don't have the capabilities to create that stuff themselves.

i heard the lead dev left, and the remaining team tries to save the project and that they actually employed some of the modders. i don't wish anything bad on them. if they took over and try to save it that's cool. the whole production just seems unprofessional. especially since the game was announced as a full blown skate sim, then after releasing the game in a state barely altered from when it hit early access, they called it a sandbox, which to me was a cop out to have the rest of the game be pretty much done by modders. and if the current devs don't have the know how to implement wallies and wallrides and stuff and implement momentum i think they should ask for help. maybe some ex racing game dev could fix the momentum issues. black box, the skate devs, where actually a racing game dev, they made need for speed games before the skate series and you can feel it as the skating itself is enjoyable like a good racing game. they need some expertise from that genre to fix momentum and refine collisions imo.

Trilogy

• Rep: -233
« Reply #825 on: April 16, 2021, 09:30:34 AM »
this game on XboX One with the original moon physics is so shitty, I cant even play it more than 5 minutes anymore, why dont they make the physics MOD???

Screw this game for real, It had so much potential, but physics are so LAME!!!!!!

easier to make some stupid ass trick that isnt even possible in real life than some cool basic tricks.

this game is a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!!

I used like the Skater app to cell phone much more than this Xbox Skater XL game, oh, but I cant even play this app anymore on my cell phone, because I payed for the app, but my last 2 cell phones are Huawei and this app dont run on Huawei mobile phones...FFS!!!!!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:14:42 PM by Trilogy »

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #826 on: April 18, 2021, 06:34:20 PM »
^^dude you sound exactly like Donald Trump

Trilogy

« Reply #827 on: April 22, 2021, 12:26:10 PM »
^^dude you sound exactly like Donald Trump

your comment :

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #828 on: April 25, 2021, 12:51:39 PM »
modded or not modded, this game is brilliant for filming fake parts, which is something I always wanted to do w the ea skate games but I never had a proper set up. now I just film something, clip it w the nvidia app, toss it on a timeline. it's the stuff of dreams. i do think session is a better sim out of the box, and the ea skate games feel better than anything, but the functioning video editor does a lot for this game
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #829 on: May 07, 2021, 08:25:32 PM »
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #830 on: May 08, 2021, 02:19:36 PM »
https://youtu.be/8nqipidWxLY

that was sick! mind posting what settings you're using? Also where did you find the glasses skin and the used boards, all the used board skins I find have just abysmal sticker jobs for some reason.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #831 on: May 08, 2021, 02:58:58 PM »
https://mod.io/members/bongofiles

this guy make sick used shit, he's working on making some ace af1's rn too. but i also use normal decks with DeckFX with the board wear mod, i just made the wear colour to brown. glasses and mustache are from GearUtils. by settings do you mean XXLMod? there's a lot to go through with that one, but main settings are -15 grav, 3.5 pop force, 0.5 high pop force, and make sure to turn grind stabilization off. So many settings but its all personal preference, and more so how you manipulate the tricks to look a certain way. fisheye is from millenia optics (with chromatic abberation turned off and tint dialed down) and i play in 1920x1440 at 144hz.

https://skaterxl.mod.io/millennia-optics-3x-ultra-fisheye-adapt-mk1-lens
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #832 on: May 08, 2021, 09:50:34 PM »
appreciate it man! I've been fiddling with my stats off and on so it's neat seeing what other people use.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #833 on: May 10, 2021, 09:47:50 AM »
this game on XboX One with the original moon physics is so shitty, I cant even play it more than 5 minutes anymore, why dont they make the physics MOD???

Screw this game for real, It had so much potential, but physics are so LAME!!!!!!

easier to make some stupid ass trick that isnt even possible in real life than some cool basic tricks.

I used like the Skater app to cell phone much more than this Xbox Skater XL game, oh, but I cant even play this app anymore on my cell phone, because I payed for the app, but my last 2 cell phones are Huawei and this app dont run on Huawei mobile phones...FFS!!!!!

I got it for ps4 and easily play tony hawk 1+2 a million times more. There's just not enough to do goal wise. I personally don't lie the controls either. Seems All the good content is community made on PC.

Trilogy

« Reply #834 on: May 10, 2021, 01:00:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I got it for ps4 and easily play tony hawk 1+2 a million times more. There's just not enough to do goal wise. I personally don't lie the controls either. Seems All the good content is community made on PC.

EXACTLY!

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #835 on: May 15, 2021, 02:39:29 PM »
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #836 on: June 01, 2021, 12:01:56 PM »
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/729939983196225596/849359873555955752/43VIGS.zip

2 4:3 vigs i made for the game. Crop them, darken them, lighten them, tint them, flip them. Lemme know what you guys think.

also new/old part from me

https://youtu.be/hSiLCIbcVsk
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

TimmyB88

• Rep: -11
« Reply #837 on: June 08, 2021, 10:24:56 AM »
I fucking hate skater XL. skating transistion is fucking regular. I went back to skate 3 until they lazy fucks make skate 4.

QixHexagon

• Rep: 31
« Reply #838 on: June 08, 2021, 02:54:19 PM »
https://youtu.be/8nqipidWxLY

Damn, that's so nice. Loved everything about this. Gonna check all your videos now.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 652
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #839 on: June 11, 2021, 10:42:27 AM »
personally i never found skating transition good on any of these games. i think that may be the 1 thing the tony hawk series acutally did well.
no one has really come up with a good way to make lip tricks look / feel good though yet

its wild like when these games come out i get super hype but i just lose interest so fast. i can pick it up very quickly and i see some people struggle hard with the controls. they have made this game to target someone like me, but i just cant get into it like some guys do, streamin it like every damn day! lol

i feel like time spent landing something that takes a lot of tries is not worth my time - i would be getting more value practicing street fighter combos lol

i do think its cool how people make the clothes / graphics etc. i feel like if i was more in tune with that stuff i would get more enjoyment out of it. oh aslo building spots  -if i had the means to make spots i would have so much more fun too. just cant be bothered though at my age
ONTARIO CANADA