Author Topic: New Skate Game! Skater XL  (Read 75207 times)

Silky Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
Re: New Skate Game! Skater XL
« Reply #870 on: September 03, 2021, 12:19:46 PM »
The multiplayer makes it more enjoyable on console imo, the maps don't feel so lifeless when there's other skaters in the lobby.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #871 on: September 04, 2021, 10:19:03 AM »
The multiplayer makes it more enjoyable on console imo, the maps don't feel so lifeless when there's other skaters in the lobby.

True although it feels lifeless again when you start to see that the entire room consists of 540 shove lipslide 540 shove outs

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #872 on: November 09, 2021, 10:31:52 AM »
Dope new object drop feature added to the game similar to skate 3.  Decent objects too like good ledges, slappy curbs, and a wood board you can get creative with stacking shit.   Heard multi-player gets wild with people just making mountains of bullshit tho

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #873 on: November 14, 2021, 12:29:30 AM »
I actually came here to complain about the multiplayer. Clearly there are far more Minecraft-loving children playing than actual skate rats. Most levels are rendered completely useless. Some of it is entertaining I guess, but a little ledge or handrail session used to be fun and now that shits covered in fire hydrants.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #874 on: November 17, 2021, 06:56:48 AM »
Yeah I'd guess 5/6 turn into some lego world nightmare instead of any attempt of a practical session

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #875 on: December 24, 2021, 04:24:51 PM »
Dope new street community map out

CaptainBushwacker

• Rep: 13
« Reply #876 on: December 31, 2021, 10:02:09 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24vedBf-MHI

Cooked up this lil montage right before the new years. Have a good 2022!

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #877 on: January 04, 2022, 03:06:42 AM »
Really liked the realistic way you skate. They editing was on point, enjoyed it

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 211
« Reply #878 on: January 04, 2022, 03:28:37 PM »
Hi peeps,

I haven’t played a skating game since Tink Hawk waaay back in the day so I’m definitely out of touch.

I have a Xbox one and need some advice on what to buy.

I really like the look of skater xl. Is this better than the new Tony Hawk games??

I just wanna cruz around and do back tails lol. Not really into the mega combo triple backflip grinds etc.

Thanks in advance

hmmmokay

« Reply #879 on: January 04, 2022, 03:59:39 PM »
Hi peeps,

I haven’t played a skating game since Tink Hawk waaay back in the day so I’m definitely out of touch.

I really like the look of skater xl. Is this better than the new Tony Hawk games??

I just wanna cruz around and do back tails lol. Not really into the mega combo triple backflip grinds etc.

Thanks in advance

I think that once you get a hang of the controls skater XL can be really fun to pop on when you've got some spare time. That said, it definitely did not deliver for a lot of people; game bugs, slow updates (on console, mod community is big on pc from what I can see), and for a lot of folks the physics. And I agree with pretty much every gripe about the game, but it's still fun.

Like a lot of things it is what you make it really.

Edit: I'm on ps4, but Session is also on Xbox and my buddy really enjoys that over skater xl FWIW.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #880 on: January 04, 2022, 08:34:44 PM »
Hi peeps,

Thanks in advance

You will absolutely love skater xl, just takes a few hours to get it down but I love it for cruising and doing basic tricks.

Session is also a great looking game that delivers on other levels but you can't go wrong with either.

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #881 on: January 05, 2022, 10:20:33 AM »
Skate and Skate 3 are also on EA Play/Game Pass (and Skate 2 is backwards compatible as well).

Ambient Johnny

• Rep: -14
« Reply #882 on: January 06, 2022, 02:51:01 AM »
Session Skate might be really glitchy but overall I think it looks a lot more realistic than XL. It's a shame progress is so slow, and the locations are quite limited, at least I've grown rather tired of skating the same spots at this point. The game should turn out incredible once they get more work done since it's already better than XL while still being in development.

The worst issue is the lack of a proper sensation of weight.

I put on Ea Skate 3 the other day and it looks so smooth compared to either XL or Session, but that's all, going back to those controls feels impossible and restrictive.

CaptainBushwacker

« Reply #883 on: January 12, 2022, 03:52:19 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTplrCnTUg

Don't wanna spam too much but had a lot of fun making this, as I felt the last montage was missing something. So got straight to work on a new one.

anillusionofthepants

• Rep: 14
« Reply #884 on: January 13, 2022, 07:31:24 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTplrCnTUg

Don't wanna spam too much but had a lot of fun making this, as I felt the last montage was missing something. So got straight to work on a new one.

nice work on that clip at 2:14 - feels like a realistic transition with the drums coming in right after

anillusionofthepants

• Rep: 14
« Reply #885 on: January 13, 2022, 07:58:58 AM »
Made my first edit. I mostly tried to have a trick & spot selection that you might find in a Nawrocki, Joey Guevara, Surrey, Max Palmer, or Suciu part.
https://youtu.be/Eriur1PLiIE
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 08:11:19 AM by anillusionofthepants »

CaptainBushwacker

« Reply #886 on: January 13, 2022, 10:32:21 AM »
Made my first edit. I mostly tried to have a trick & spot selection that you might find in a Nawrocki, Joey Guevara, Surrey, Max Palmer, or Suciu part.
https://youtu.be/Eriur1PLiIE

That was very cool! Good trick and song selection, the edit was rich in good vibes.

briarman

• Rep: 0
« Reply #887 on: January 14, 2022, 07:37:40 AM »
I am very old and not at all "a gamer," but I got COVID 3 weeks ago and at the same time, got Skater XL on Xbox One and played it a lot. I love that there are community mods you can download but what I see on Xbox is a whole lot more limited than what I stumbled across for PC users (& very little for female characters). AND I don't see any new mods from the first time I was on. The newest mod featured is from December 22. Am I doing something wrong or is it supposed to be that limited with new stuff coming out rarely? Specifically, I see 69 pages of mods with what- 6-8 on a page? Only 8-10 spots and the rest, gear. Thanks in advance.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #888 on: January 15, 2022, 11:11:38 AM »
I am very old and not at all "a gamer," but I got COVID 3 weeks ago and at the same time, got Skater XL on Xbox One and played it a lot. I love that there are community mods you can download but what I see on Xbox is a whole lot more limited than what I stumbled across for PC users (& very little for female characters). AND I don't see any new mods from the first time I was on. The newest mod featured is from December 22. Am I doing something wrong or is it supposed to be that limited with new stuff coming out rarely? Specifically, I see 69 pages of mods with what- 6-8 on a page? Only 8-10 spots and the rest, gear. Thanks in advance.

Thats exactly correct. The developers are slow as hell to get more maps to counsel players like us, we get one every few months if lucky. Supposedly they're always still working on new features and maps but just don't hold your breath.  If I had a gaming computer I'd definitely play on that but I'm stuck to ps4

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #889 on: January 16, 2022, 06:57:06 AM »

The fact that there’s mods on console at all is surprising as it’s typically a thing that’s pc only for any kind of game. Only exceptions I can really think of is some Bethesda games.

Ambient Johnny

• Rep: -14
« Reply #890 on: January 27, 2022, 08:46:45 AM »
Been checking out people's XL footage. Wish I could skate those areas in Session...

To me eyes the Session animations look smoother. Already posted this in the other thread but for comparison my last Session edit;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz0ybeA458g

ek27

• Rep: 6
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #891 on: February 02, 2022, 07:22:06 PM »

Looks like they are having a live Street League style event on Saturday on Milky's Twitch.... Sounds kinda interesting

Berky

• Rep: -19
« Reply #892 on: February 03, 2022, 11:52:58 AM »
I actually made it in the Xbox catagory! Should be fun!

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #893 on: February 03, 2022, 01:41:25 PM »
Map fuckin sucks. But at least it wasn't 6 months since the last so I hope the can keep the momentum of new maps

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #894 on: February 28, 2022, 10:33:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The fact that there’s mods on console at all is surprising as it’s typically a thing that’s pc only for any kind of game. Only exceptions I can really think of is some Bethesda games.

They aren’t actual mods. It says mod browser on the console menu but it’s just downloadable maps and fan made clothes/hardgoods.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #895 on: March 02, 2022, 08:17:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They aren’t actual mods. It says mod browser on the console menu but it’s just downloadable maps and fan made clothes/hardgoods.

I mean they're still mods, they're just officially adopted and supported by the devs. I understand they don't hold a torch to what's on PC, though.

Trilogy

• Rep: -230
« Reply #896 on: March 04, 2022, 02:34:02 PM »
This game for consoles is a fraud, it had a lot of potential, but the fact we cant control the stats makes the game impossible to play coherently and have fun with it.

If you have consoles dont waste money on this game.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #897 on: March 08, 2022, 12:31:57 PM »

Agreed, played it yesterday night with two friends. It was pretty entertaining. I was told you still need mods to get the best experience.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #898 on: March 12, 2022, 07:04:52 AM »
it had a lot of potential

To he it still has

Just drop a good map every month, add a Mode where you can play skate against others (you have to call the Trick before you do it) and add some new gear

Trilogy

• Rep: -230
« Reply #899 on: March 12, 2022, 08:38:12 AM »
Expand Quote
it had a lot of potential
[close]

To he it still has

Just drop a good map every month, add a Mode where you can play skate against others (you have to call the Trick before you do it) and add some new gear

nah...

I dont care about maps or gear if the physics and controls in the game are all fucked up, no precision, no realism, no fun at all...

If they put this game with stats control and modded on consoles yes, it can be an amazing game, but the way it is right now really sucks.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 08:48:44 AM by Trilogy »