Author Topic: Truly Independent Trucks and Wheels Brands E.G. Consolidated Decks.  (Read 4961 times)

whorific

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
 Probs could do a day of research but this is a great resource wondering if there are other Brands like Consolidated that make decent wheels and trucks but absolutely hate Zumiez and online big box Mall sell out culture. That will not sell to big online shops or mall shops but only to INDY skater run Shops.
That that kind of attitude is in their mission statement. I'm old and when I began skating I was treated like a young Hell's Angel now all I see is Nike this and Red Bull that , and Independent Trucks and Spitfire wheels at Zumiez makes me fucking sick to my stomach. Are there any brands that will not sell out to the mall or big online warehouses?

edit ,,,

I dont know how in the holy fuck this got confused for me shitting on Consolidated Their rabbit giving another rabbit his foot for luck is gonna be my open/shut sign on my shop door , fucking Love consolidated don't be regular I'm way more Jaded than you but I can still fucking read Im praising Consolidated not shitting on them for fucks sake read before you reply
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 11:25:09 AM by whorific »
" I did not say this I am not here"

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
Re: Truly Independent Trucks and Wheels Brands E.G. Consolidated Decks.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 11:16:23 AM »
don't confuse consolidated not 'selling out' with no one wanting their shit.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 11:17:18 AM »

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 11:17:27 AM »
You know before everyone shits on this dude for being a new poster and his post is kind of stupid, but the gist of the thread ain’t that bad. Who are the independent brands that actively turn down malls that are currently relevant in the skateboarding market, UNLIKE consolidated. FA and Hockey come to mind, but I’m pretty sure u can buy their shit in vans stores, sooo I’m not even sure about them.

Edit: Also can supreme be thought of as selling out to a mall chain in a way. They sure as fuck aren’t an independent skateshop considering being backed by the Carlyle group. Also for those on slap who haven’t seen Hassan Minaj’s new show patriot act on Netflix, I’m pretty sure he straight up ripped his supreme episode of the thread in this message board about Carlyle and supreme.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 11:20:01 AM by cheetahsheets »

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

whorific

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 11:27:23 AM »
 Also can supreme be thought of as selling out to a mall chain in a way. They sure as fuck aren’t an independent skateshop considering being backed by the Carlyle group. Also for those on slap who haven’t seen Hassan Minaj’s new show patriot act on Netflix, I’m pretty sure he straight up ripped his supreme episode of the thread in this message board about Carlyle and supreme.

THIS

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 11:44:32 AM »
Probs could do a day of research but this is a great resource wondering if there are other Brands like Consolidated that make decent wheels and trucks but absolutely hate Zumiez and online big box Mall sell out culture. That will not sell to big online shops or mall shops but only to INDY skater run Shops.
That that kind of attitude is in their mission statement. I'm old and when I began skating I was treated like a young Hell's Angel now all I see is Nike this and Red Bull that , and Independent Trucks and Spitfire wheels at Zumiez makes me fucking sick to my stomach. Are there any brands that will not sell out to the mall or big online warehouses?

edit ,,,

I dont know how in the holy fuck this got confused for me shitting on Consolidated Their rabbit giving another rabbit his foot for luck is gonna be my open/shut sign on my shop door , fucking Love consolidated don't be regular I'm way more Jaded than you but I can still fucking read Im praising Consolidated not shitting on them for fucks sake read before you reply

No one is offended if you don’t like consolidated. They’ve been shit on so hard one of the owners has tried to defend them and sway the PALS opinion. The whole “don’t do it” is cringeworthy at this point. They even made ripoff dunks and janoskis when they did their shoe runs so they know what sells. Not a Nike fan but they support skating and skateboarding more than consolidated ever has or would. However it’s not like they wouldn’t sell to mall stores, their buyers know that they sell shit China wood and mainly just shit on Nike as their marketing strategy. Since they make more from Nike than decks, consolidated gets left behind. Guarantee birdo would take orders from every mall chain if they tried ordering.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

whorific

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 11:57:01 AM »
Expand Quote

edit ,,,

[close]

No one is offended if you don’t like consolidated. They’ve been shit on so hard one of the owners has tried to defend them and sway the PALS opinion. The whole “don’t do it” is cringeworthy at this point. They even made ripoff dunks and janoskis when they did their shoe runs so they know what sells. Not a Nike fan but they support skating and skateboarding more than consolidated ever has or would. However it’s not like they wouldn’t sell to mall stores, their buyers know that they sell shit China wood and mainly just shit on Nike as their marketing strategy. Since they make more from Nike than decks, consolidated gets left behind. Guarantee birdo would take orders from every mall chain if they tried ordering.

Good to know, I'm actually interested in brands that will not sell to Zumiez and all that. I mean everyone likes money I'm surprised that some millionaire/billionaire with plenty of FU money has not tried to create a brand that actually says fuck you to corporate skateboarding, sure, it would loose money in the beginning but gain huge in the long run  for itself and skateboarders/skateboarding in general.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 12:08:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

edit ,,,

[close]

[close]

Good to know, I'm actually interested in brands that will not sell to Zumiez and all that. I mean everyone likes money I'm surprised that some millionaire/billionaire with plenty of FU money has not tried to create a brand that actually says fuck you to corporate skateboarding, sure, it would loose money in the beginning but gain huge in the long run  for itself and skateboarders/skateboarding in general.

It’s definitely a double edged sword imo. Many brands can’t survive without a mall shop as their core account ie crail, baker boys. It allows them to travel, pay riders etc. when state started they made it very clear that without having a Zumiez account and that size of order each season they couldn’t survive or even get going. Only brands I haven’t seen in mall stores are fa/hockey, theories brands, and quasi. Maybe that would be a good start?

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 12:27:18 PM »
The closest thing we have is state for the shoe game, but state probably wouldnt exist at all if the didnt sell at zumiez and shit. Same for board companies. If you want to support some real shit get a shop board or a local company.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 12:31:40 PM »
Consolidated? Holy shit what a worthless company.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 12:45:03 PM »
Just buy what you like. But consolidated lol, they are not the sick operation you’re picturing.

How about Roger skateboards?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:53:22 PM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 12:54:06 PM »
Man just why. I thought the only reason we even heard about
This brand in the last 20 years was coz some of the staff respond to some psters nonsense about Andy Roy and shit.. I remember this shite brand from the 90’s who paid them any attn
They might as well of been rollerblades they were just NOT going to sell in any shop I’ve ever been in.

I never rember seeing a freind or aquentince with one ever just leave em to die

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 01:00:08 PM »
Consolidated was Jason Jesse's company ! Birdo sucks !

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 01:06:38 PM »
The fact they've been around since '92 and haven't died yet. who is buying their shit??

Mobkickflipper

• Rep: -1
  • is this real or is this really real ?
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2018, 02:17:26 PM »
Consolidated? Holy shit what a worthless company.
This remembered me about a Spain tour article where Consolidated came out as a company that treated their riders very poorly.
Just an excerpt from TWS 2003 April issue:

"Instead of receiving the usual per diem check or envelope of cash for our travels, we received four or five boxes of Consolidated gear, which included a bunch of small boards (this would later be a big problem because the whole team rides big boards). Off we went with whatever money we had to our name and a bunch of skate gear that we were supposed to sell to help us eat and sleep. After a week of small-budget living on the road, money was becoming a problem, which caused some stress and flare ups.
Once we arrived in Barcelona, we were out of gear, which meant we were out of money. We were hooked up with a warehouse-like flat to sleep in through Jose's friend, Fortunately, the warehouse came with a bunch of dirty and yellow soiled matresses to sleep on."

Nice company to ride for!

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2018, 02:41:00 PM »
Op now you know how much we all think Consoldated sucks.
So the lesson here is that not selling To mall shops is relatively meaningless in consideration to a brand being good or special or whatever.
It can be cool when a brand wants to keep their integrity to a certain extent but if you really want to do your part,
Just buy the brands you like from your local (if you have one).

So this is my guess to the brands, Roger, Fa, Hockey, Frog, Terror of Planet X.
Acid wheels maybe?
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 03:06:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
consolidated is by far much worse and less respectful than any brand that has had to resort to whatever selling out means to any of you.

free max b
FREE MAX B

Buck Bundy

• Rep: 38
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 03:42:46 PM »
Probs could do a day of research but this is a great resource wondering if there are other Brands like Consolidated that make decent wheels and trucks but absolutely hate Zumiez and online big box Mall sell out culture.

Consolidated trucks turn so damn good and don’t even get me going on the feel of a sick backside powerslide with their amazing urethane!!! Oh man!!!

Surf-goth

• Rep: -677
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2018, 03:51:35 PM »
This brand in the last 20 years was coz some of the staff respond to some psters nonsense about Andy Roy and shit.. I remember this shite brand from the 90’s who paid them any attn
They might as well of been rollerblades they were just NOT going to sell in any shop I’ve ever been in.

Have you suffered a massive head injury?
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 05:12:19 PM »
The fact they've been around since '92 and haven't died yet. who is buying their shit??
it’s a really small company with only a few employees who probably also do other work and there are people in the santa cruz area who buy their stuff

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2018, 05:49:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Have you suffered a massive head injury?

Haven't we all never rember seeing a freind or aquentice with one ever at some point in our lives?

whorific

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2018, 08:22:59 PM »
 Sweet thanks for all the feedback, So there are no small Truck or Wheel Companies that will refuse to "mall out" but it seems like a lot of Indy decks will be the ticket. I already respect a lot of the brands mentioned. I don't know much about Consolidated but their anti mall and Nike kick which I obviously dig. Makes sense you never see them if the are Santa Cruise centric and though the slogans are cool, obviously art direction is pretty bad.  I actually thought there would be more small brands thee fuck this corporate shit attitude wish I had some FU money. we'll see what happens.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2018, 09:18:28 PM »

edit ,,,

wut?

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2018, 09:04:11 AM »
If a good skate brand starts selling their stuff at Zumies to stay alive, and they don't alter their product based on the demand of non skaters, I'd hesitate to criticize that brand. I'd rather they not sell at those kinds of stores, but I can understand the necessity.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2018, 10:38:23 AM »
SCUM, Black Label and maybe Ace trucks? Whatever isn't in a Zumiez is the answer,someone go check. Say Leticia 3 times in the mirror and she'll pop in here to defend Consolidated.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2018, 11:20:06 AM »
Just a friendly reminder that neither Birdo nor Letcia skate and are employing worse shitty company ethics than nike without a 100th of the success 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 11:21:38 AM by Jehoshaphat Augustus »

GollyIamGully

• Rep: -8
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2018, 11:54:14 AM »
Ive absolutely seen consolidated decks at zumiez. Dont let that "dont do it" crap fool you.

tony volume

• Rep: -13
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2018, 12:11:53 PM »
My cousin was a Co-founder of Skidmark, and he sold it off to the douche that runs it now. That was the dumb ass that Andy Roy ran into in his Epicly laterd episode. Basically, Fuck consolidated and Skidmark.

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2018, 12:24:39 PM »
My local charges $55 for a set of regular ass indys. That place can burn to the ground for all I care.

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2018, 12:27:22 PM »
Oops, wrong thread, standing by it though.