Author Topic: is slap dying  (Read 11994 times)

Alan

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2531
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: is slap dying
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2018, 10:47:13 AM »
No, but you are.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2018, 11:05:08 AM »
What is dead may never die.

And with strange eons even death may die.

FLstrange

• Rep: 324
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2018, 11:14:08 AM »

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2018, 11:35:10 AM »
It's just the beginning.

Dusty Hotman

• Rep: 7
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2018, 11:51:12 AM »
I hope not, I just made an account.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2018, 11:56:38 AM »

sms_b

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2018, 12:05:53 PM »

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2018, 12:12:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think Slap skateboarding is the perfect representation of how lame skateboarding has become.
[close]
Fixed
now focus
Then do the Chris Benoit Challenge on Christmas
[Choke your wife and kids to death then shoot yourself]
[close]

Unfortunately, my wife already left me and took the kids with her. I don't even know where they live. I'm not going anywhere, Slap is my new family now.

and just like your old family, everyone in your new family hates you

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2018, 12:18:38 PM »
Slap Pals need a guest board on Krooked at this stage to prevent the black death plague!

Pretty Serious

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2018, 12:21:02 PM »
Is Fred Gall still alive?

What was the question?

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2018, 01:54:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think Slap skateboarding is the perfect representation of how lame skateboarding has become.
[close]
Fixed
now focus
Then do the Chris Benoit Challenge on Christmas
[Choke your wife and kids to death then shoot yourself]
[close]

Unfortunately, my wife already left me and took the kids with her. I don't even know where they live. I'm not going anywhere, Slap is my new family now.
[close]

and just like your old family, everyone in your new family hates you
[close]

Yes, it's been a pretty seamless transition.
here on SLAP we treat pals mo betta

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2018, 02:40:59 PM »
no not never... you should too
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2018, 02:49:08 PM »
Slap is Dead for Life. 13 pt bolts. Stealies and nose wheelies. Tre flips, and Trey Phish lips on this Grateful dick

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 389
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2018, 02:52:48 PM »
slap of life
it needs the slap of life

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2018, 03:47:56 PM »
Slap is a crook-backlip

Algar

• Rep: 28
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2018, 07:26:54 PM »
Slap has been TMZified, with its constant obsessing over minute details of lame pro's personal lives, with social media being the fuel for this garbage fire.

Tortoise

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2018, 10:16:50 PM »
Slap has been TMZified, with its constant obsessing over minute details of lame pro's personal lives, with social media being the fuel for this garbage fire.

JosephSmith

• Rep: 49
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2018, 01:26:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Such is this modern life. Shouldn't SLAP (as supposed skatebawrd enthusiasts) all warm our hands collectively by the glorious light of this garbage fire? It's cold outside. Snuggle next to me. 

Algar

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2018, 05:51:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Such is this modern life. Shouldn't SLAP (as supposed skatebawrd enthusiasts) all warm our hands collectively by the glorious light of this garbage fire? It's cold outside. Snuggle next to me.

Yes Sir

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2018, 06:26:11 AM »
I'm still gonna be posting in the music section years after it's been deserted, like those Japanese WWII soldiers who got stranded on an island and thought the war was still going on for decades.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2018, 06:36:55 AM »
Jesus died for SLAP's sins, so it may have eternal life.

Algar

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2018, 07:13:19 AM »
I'm still gonna be posting in the music section years after it's been deserted, like those Japanese WWII soldiers who got stranded on an island and thought the war was still going on for decades.

A lot of the non-useless wooden toy banter threads are great and bullshit free.  They could all use a lot more action though.  I just waded through a ton of stuff in the books thread to find my next holiday read. A lot of good stuff in there.

Lurk or die

• Rep: -4
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2018, 07:40:07 AM »
I thought there just wasn't much going on in skateboarding, so it slowed the conversation down.  It's fucking cold outside. Everyone is probably inside reading this shit instead of skating.

MC3

• Rep: 142
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2018, 08:27:10 AM »
I mean you could go to r/skateboarding, and I just checked it to see what those people are up to. First post I saw was a collective agreement in the comments that mallgrabbing was perfectly ok and people should stop hating
(Cool Trick GIF)

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 533
    • swarm life avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2018, 08:42:48 AM »
Point me in the direction of another relevant skateboard message board.

FLstrange

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2018, 09:34:07 AM »
Point me in the direction of another relevant skateboard message board.
its kinda scary that slap is the last remaining legit skate message board. any others are either gone, inactive, or completely kooked out like the r/skateboarding subreddit that has lots activity, but only used by normies who repost mainstream or personal instagram/youtube edits because theyre desperate for more views and karma, and actual discussion doesn't happen. despite slap's abrasiveness and numerous trolls, its still a bastion of skate related opinions and conversation and if it or something similar were not to exist skate culture as a whole would be one step closer to fully losing its self awareness and being engulfed by youtuber, social influencer and corporate style generic soullessness. many in the skate industry seem to think that slap is a bad thing because of the shit talking and peoples careers getting ended because of threads on here, but consider the negative results of a slapless future.

FLstrange

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2018, 11:18:41 AM »

Yeah because skateboarding totally sucked before internet message boards.

youre missing the point entirely. im not suggesting things were worse off before message boards.  if people who skate are frequently communicating through online outlets and many are using heavily watered down online communities (instagram, reddit, youtube comments) to talk to each other and express opinions publicly, this has an effect on peoples conversations and actions offline as well, and could result in future generation's legitimacy becoming more deluded than it has already. i think slap is a good counterculture to help keep things balanced with the abundance of new kids who's knowledge of skateboarding doesn't extend past the things they see on youtube channels like revive.

HHH

• Rep: -4
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2018, 11:37:08 AM »
Better question is instagram dying? Maybe soon it will be taken over with all the swag boys that perform low skill tricks in slow mo to horrendous music. Whats after instagram? What will be the next social platform? Will we go back to facebook or will youtube turn into a more interactive platform? Time will tell.

No slap is not dying. As long as humor lives slap will live too.

Mobkickflipper

• Rep: -1
  • is this real or is this really real ?
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2018, 11:40:00 AM »
Expand Quote

Yeah because skateboarding totally sucked before internet message boards.
[close]

youre missing the point entirely. im not suggesting things were worse off before message boards.  if people who skate are frequently communicating through online outlets and many are using heavily watered down online communities (instagram, reddit, youtube comments) to talk to each other and express opinions publicly, this has an effect on peoples conversations and actions offline as well, and could result in future generation's legitimacy becoming more deluded than it has already. i think slap is a good counterculture to help keep things balanced with the abundance of new kids who's knowledge of skateboarding doesn't extend past the things they see on youtube channels like revive.
You are a truly optimistic person if you think that the Slap message board can counterbalance all the kookness on youtube, not to speak about the watered down social communities you mentioned.
Anyway Slap is still a good niche to read about what other skateboarders think about this or that and maybe even to have fun in the process.
Personally I don't think Slap is dying or anything like that, indeed if you look at 2006 posts there were as many (if not more) silly threads everyday, you just have to read and search for the good ones.

FLstrange

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2018, 11:54:34 AM »

You are a truly optimistic person if you think that the Slap message board can counterbalance all the kookness on youtube, not to speak about the watered down social communities you mentioned.

dont get me wrong it definitely doesn't, its not possible for the good parts this community to outweigh the damage done by the other much larger ones, but at least it tips the scales in the right direction a little. i think the thing that really sets slap apart from it's alternatives is that criticism is more allowed here, where in the others any amount non-positivity is usually immediately dismissed as unfounded.