Author Topic: TRUE DETECTIVE SEASON THREE  (Read 7556 times)

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
Re: TRUE DETECTIVE SEASON THREE
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2019, 10:29:59 PM »
Jumms- That's cool the Deadwood movie is actually happening. I had stopped reading news about it, cause I thought for sure it was never gonna be made after all the delays and everything.

Expand Quote

I'm so used to binging shows now, it's kind of cool to watch one week-to-week again, been watching these episodes on my Monday train rides the last few weeks.
[close]

Same! My fiancee and i make a dope dinner monday nights and catch it on HBO GO. So used to instant satisfaction of finishing a show in its entirety, but im kinda in to having to wait. makes me think about each episode alot more. when i binge i usually forget so many details

I usually watch it on my laptop on cramped rush hour trains, always ready to turn it off if a sex scene or something too wild pops up. Yours sounds way better.

Reading episode recaps is another good way to remember details/find out about stuff you missed also:
https://www.avclub.com/true-detective-is-playing-with-puzzles-instead-of-explo-1832309749

That tracking shot from the first season was a work of art, but I think one of the biggest misses from the second season was when they tried to recapture its magic, by doing that big dumb street shootout scene.

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2019, 11:57:47 PM »
ok , so the daughter is implying the dad was harming the kids ? the detectives did something bad , maybe killed the dad ? i’m glad we got to see how’s the indian took down all those men that were after him . Also when Hazes teacher girl friend came to see her he mentioned something about the way she smelled & what about the kids laughing in her book and then finding the old letter that was sent to the police station . it’s mentions somthing about the kids laughing . i need to rewatch the last two maybe go back to the beginning .

I think the call was implying that Scoot wasn't her real father, which is news to him. The language in the book and the ransom note repeat the phrase "children should laugh" which implicates the children's mother in writing the note. She knew more and was involved more than just as a grieving mother. The detectives killed the Uncle Patrick O'Brien and dumped him in a quarry but we don't know why yet.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2019, 05:56:09 AM »
Expand Quote
ok , so the daughter is implying the dad was harming the kids ? the detectives did something bad , maybe killed the dad ? i’m glad we got to see how’s the indian took down all those men that were after him . Also when Hazes teacher girl friend came to see her he mentioned something about the way she smelled & what about the kids laughing in her book and then finding the old letter that was sent to the police station . it’s mentions somthing about the kids laughing . i need to rewatch the last two maybe go back to the beginning .
[close]

I think the call was implying that Scoot wasn't her real father, which is news to him. The language in the book and the ransom note repeat the phrase "children should laugh" which implicates the children's mother in writing the note. She knew more and was involved more than just as a grieving mother. The detectives killed the Uncle Patrick O'Brien and dumped him in a quarry but we don't know why yet.
oh right cause they keep showing this skeleton of the uncle who lived in the house for while . thanks !

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2019, 06:26:47 AM »
If I had to guess, the daughter was saying that, because the kidnappers told her that her parents took her and her brother, and they were just rescuing her.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2019, 08:27:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
oh right cause they keep showing this skeleton of the uncle who lived in the house for while . thanks !

Woahhhhh
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

hangontoyourego

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 07:49:13 PM »
what an ending to ep 6! the pink room . the man with one eye again .

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Lexapro
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2019, 11:26:14 AM »

THE MAN WITH THE ONE EYE MADE ME ACTUALLY GASP

hangontoyourego

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2019, 04:51:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

that was a different one eyed man , correct . the 1st guy had his right eye out and the one at the book signing had his left eye . also i heard ona podcast that one the kids classmates is the landscaper getting out of the truck when emilia is interviewing the girl in the room that new julie .   
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 05:08:38 PM by hangontoyourego »

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Lexapro
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 07:02:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
that was a different one eyed man , correct . the 1st guy had his right eye out and the one at the book signing had his left eye . also i heard ona podcast that one the kids classmates is the landscaper getting out of the truck when emilia is interviewing the girl in the room that new julie .

My fiancee thought it was a different guy too, so could totally be a different guy but initially i thought it was the same guy... because you know, how many one eyed black guys can they have in one tv show?
Like one of punk kids is the landscaper now? i gotta re watch for sure.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 07:18:35 AM »
I also was unsure about the one eyed guy in the latest episode, but it's definitely a different person.
He's a character named Junius, who only appears in this episode, and the final one in a couple weeks.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0931736/

Also definitely didn't notice this.

https://news.avclub.com/true-detective-is-teasing-a-crossover-between-its-first-1832125116

Good episode recap:
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/02/true-detective-hoyt-pink-room-season-3-episode-6-kidnap-julie
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:20:32 AM by childhood »

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Lexapro
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 07:21:04 AM »
I also was unsure about the one eyed guy in the latest episode, but it's definitely a different person.
He's a character named Junius, who only appears in this episode, and the final one in a couple weeks.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0931736/

Also definitely didn't notice this.

https://news.avclub.com/true-detective-is-teasing-a-crossover-between-its-first-1832125116

Good episode recap:
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/02/true-detective-hoyt-pink-room-season-3-episode-6-kidnap-julie

Holy shit !

hangontoyourego

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 06:30:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

My fiancee thought it was a different guy too, so could totally be a different guy but initially i thought it was the same guy... because you know, how many one eyed black guys can they have in one tv show?
Like one of punk kids is the landscaper now? i gotta re watch for sure.
no , one of her friends from elementary school .
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/still-watching-true-detective/id1328561705?mt=2&i=1000429599429

oh man that vanity fair article is great ! thanks for sharing.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:08:22 PM by hangontoyourego »

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2019, 04:16:37 AM »
This show would be sooooo much better without that marital tension storyline between the author lady and the cop. I really don't care about them and their relationship at all... And there is so much of it.

I do like the relationship between the 2 main cops a lot, it's very real feeling, like they really have a long history together and I want to know more.

And the relationship that those 2 cops have to the rest of the police force is also quite interesting. I'm waiting to find out who is doing better detective work, these main guys, or if their investigation is so far off it's throwing of the rest of the work the police are doing. The show keeps hinting that they really fucked up and there's all this mention of planted evidence and all that, it could be something.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2019, 01:19:06 PM »
I can't think of a story where the main character has known the truth and then just forgotten. Maybe Memento I guess? Still, I dig the idea of a detective so forgetful he forgot that he solved the case that's eaten at him for decades decades ago. At least I think that's where this is going?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2019, 04:49:41 PM »
it’s possible, they seemed to add so much last weeks i don’t see how they can tie it all up this week . we will even find how and when hayes’ wife died , why he doesn’t talk to his daughter , why was roland so helping to tom rumors speculate roland could have been gay as well .

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2019, 08:08:25 AM »
Finale is 81 minutes.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2019, 12:39:09 PM »
it’s possible, they seemed to add so much last weeks i don’t see how they can tie it all up this week . we will even find how and when hayes’ wife died , why he doesn’t talk to his daughter , why was roland so helping to tom rumors speculate roland could have been gay as well .

Roland's scene with the dog in the finale made his relationship with Tom clear to me. A broken dude looking out for a slightly more broken friend. Stephen Dorff was pretty amazing in this and I didn't even recognize him until about half way through.

Front Blunt

• Rep: -4
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2019, 12:59:38 PM »
I really enjoyed that ending. A beautiful way to wrap up the character development and the whole concept that time is a flat cirlce. The last scene with him in the jungle, legendary. Well done.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2019, 09:07:02 PM »
I really enjoyed that ending. A beautiful way to wrap up the character development and the whole concept that time is a flat cirlce. The last scene with him in the jungle, legendary. Well done.
All those parts where each character looks and sees himself either older or younger reminded me of the end of 2001 Space Odyssey

this was the best season yet

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2019, 06:10:32 AM »
No it wasn't, you're seriously dumb as fuck about everything.

Apparently Amelia just died in her sleep, in a part that wound up getting cut out of the episodes.
https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a26531067/true-detective-season-3-amelia-death-hays-wife/

Larry Dallas

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2019, 08:46:54 AM »
The acting was incredible this season, but I didn’t feel any sense of urgency.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2019, 04:29:37 PM »
I thought the underwhelming ending was ballsy as hell. It put a mirror on the reddit crowd who overanalyze everything to a detrimental level.

That said the best parts of season 3 are when old man Hays has his eyes opened super wide as if he accidentally walked in on some perky boobs.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2019, 12:39:03 AM »
I thought the ending was so corny, sorry. A shell-shocked vietnam vet? C'mon, how many times must lazy writers rely on this? I understand that tons of people came back fucked up but it can be written in a much more interesting way.

But, I REALLY did not like the wife (can't tell if I didn't like the actress or the character)... So spending so much time explaining the relationship between her and the cop was just uninteresting to me. And the whole hallucination/ghost appearance of his wife to deliver one of the corniest monologues that I can remember really made me roll my eyes. "What if time never ended...?" Oooooooh, so deep.

HOWEVER, the evolution of the relationship between the 2 cops and concluding the story with them all sitting on the porch together drinking iced tea was pretty great. I thought that was written very well. I agree that Steven Dorff was excellent in the show.

Season 4? Is it coming?

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2019, 05:26:44 AM »
This was a very frustrating season. The ending made the first two investigations seem irrelevant.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2019, 05:31:59 AM »
I thought the underwhelming ending was ballsy as hell.
Yeah, this is mostly how I felt. Gonna re watch it today.

The fourth season is apparently "percolating".
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/game-of-thrones-prequels-true-detective-season-4-hbo-2019-1202042626/
Seems like they learned their lesson from rushing out season two, so it probably won't be coming out for a bit.

I thought Ali's old age makeup was done really well.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Lexapro
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2019, 10:51:36 AM »
Kinda bummed all of the "mysteries" were solved in one conversation practically. Great season, but i thought the ending could have been better. Trillion times better than season two, none the less.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2019, 05:06:49 AM »
Finally finished it. I thought it was a good season and that the characters and the writing were really good.

That said, they really gave you everything you could want in a package that was a bit too neat. Sort of a fan service for people who thought the first season didn't wrap things up enough. It would have been unbearably dull in a straight chronological timeline.

tinydicksk8r

• Rep: -6
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2019, 07:24:02 PM »
YO the dad looked so much like Nick Merlino

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Lexapro