Author Topic: Dustin Dollin | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 125  (Read 33852 times)

Lurk or die

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Re: Dustin Dollin | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 125
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2018, 11:53:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You have to come from a place of privilege to criticize Dustin.
[close]

Or (hear me out)...he's just a fucking wet brain pile of shit and that's why we can criticize him.
[close]

I'm just here to offer a different perspective, and I tend to like anti-heros. I think he's an anti-hero and his skating and contribution to skateboarding is nuts.

The interview dragged, but it had some gems. It helped me get through Christmas, what more can I ask for.
[close]
He isn't an Anti Hero because Julien doesn't like him.

Ha, I was hoping someone would catch that.

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2018, 12:00:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Or (hear me out)...he's just a fucking wet brain pile of shit and that's why we can criticize him.

If that was true I'm sure he wouldn't be in the position he is. Y'all are just jealous you can't make a career out of being nuts.

ShitNuts

• Rep: -2
« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2018, 12:31:48 PM »
A couple interesting insights but overall this was a mess.
I can't stand people's drunken philosophical ramblings so that last 10 minutes was rough.

"The only people that are rich enough to afford to live in a routine are the only people that can afford to live in a routine."

This was some particularly dumb shit to hear.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2018, 02:30:23 PM »
My only Dollin interaction was at A bay area trade show called the Bayview Rumble.
I believe this was 2003/04? Dan Wolfes video Closure had just released, they were premiering it at Highspeed.
I was watching and Dollin wandered in and sat down next to me and instantly started going off about Wolfe needing new music etc, I said that it was a retrospective look at all his videos and he continued his rants about all the sf skaters that appeared in it.
I can't really add much beyond what was said about this 9 club that hasn't been said already.
The bit about people smoking weed was pretty funny, like being drunk hasn't destroyed multiple peoples lives directly and indirectly.
Some funny anecdotes mixed in with a mostly tough to decipher mess.
Would love to hear why Roger doesn't care for him.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 05:32:52 PM by 144p »

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2018, 02:35:12 PM »
Dustin definitely helped Lewis Marnell make it as a Pro.

What a boring listen. Dollin is a bigger narcissist than Dill.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2018, 03:45:29 PM »
Dustin is lucky he is good at skating and got out of that place, all those people he knew are junkies or deadbeats at the pub talking shit and drinking their dole money everyday. He can get paid to do it on podcasts and skatevids instead.
yeah I think we need some context here because of where he was actually born/ grew up. The blue mountains is a bit of a cesspool (or at least it was back in the day) so within that context Dustin is actually winning at life if you compare him to his peers. I had friends that went to high school with him (and he even talked about it previous interviews) but going to school in your pajamas on LSD is not a rarity up in those parts. Yes, hes a fully functioning alcoholic but he’s a somewhat successful one based on his upbringing
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 10:35:38 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

quaintly

• Rep: 11
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »
he may , or may not  actually drink as much as you'd be lead to believe. (especially for an australian)
it could  be said that he's simply selling you an image, (which has worked very well for him) , and he's very conscious of it . he's been known to pretend / act  drunker than he actually is , and uses beer /  drinking as a prop. it  could even be said he's a lot more intelligent than he would appear.

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2018, 04:55:46 PM »
he may , or may not  actually drink as much as you'd be lead to believe. (especially for an australian)
it could  be said that he's simply selling you an image, (which has worked very well for him) , and he's very conscious of it . he's been known to pretend / act  drunker than he actually is , and uses beer /  drinking as a prop. it  could even be said he's a lot more intelligent than he would appear.

He also tried to spread the idea that vodka in a water bottle was one of his favourite ways to drink. Which is a convenient way to make people think you're drinking more often than you really are.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2018, 04:59:00 PM »
Would love to hear why Roger doesn't some of you care for him.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Soft Boiled

• Rep: 21
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2018, 07:05:38 PM »
I was hoping that he would get into the inspiration behind all his sick hot-topic style bat tattoos.

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2018, 07:06:28 PM »
listen up trogs this guy yadda yadda bootstraps bla bla bla did it for the culture
who also bailed 5 mins in cause he kept joking abt sucking dick

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2018, 07:33:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm just here to offer a different perspective, and I tend to like anti-heros. I think he's an anti-hero and his skating and contribution to skateboarding is nuts.

The interview dragged, but it had some gems. It helped me get through Christmas, what more can I ask for.
[close]

I can’t remember, did he bring this up?

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Multiple times, apparently he was way more annoying than Trujillo which is next level shit.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2211
« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2018, 07:38:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Yea somewhere an hour in,talking about meeting Mic-E and getting on Stereo.

Edit: what Monkey said too

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2018, 07:52:39 PM »
What's Dustin gonna do when he's 50. Pretty sure his sponsors won't be paying him anymore by then.
I believe he runs one of the main skate distributions in Australia, PD. They briefly mention it in this but then say they’ll get back to it, which they never did.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2018, 08:31:03 PM »
What's Dustin gonna do when he's 50. Pretty sure his sponsors won't be paying him anymore by then.
My guess is he’ll go to the pub

Algar

• Rep: 28
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2018, 08:57:45 PM »
This ugly little old lady sure does like to drink the beers

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2018, 11:04:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same as anyone else in skating.....life is long....less Steve Rocco...is there anyone that gets to actually never work again? 

I wonder if there's any correlation with his editing skills and his amphetamine kick....

thisisnotepic

• Rep: 88
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2018, 01:27:10 AM »
This head ass gossip board ain't gossiping about what's up between him and Rog in lieu of trying to convince each other why y'all should or shouldn't respect the dude? Gimme the fucking juice.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2018, 04:16:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He knows his way around editing softwear and knows a LOT o people, hell be fine.

didnt realise so many people hated the dude. I was always a fan, who doesnt say some off kilter shit whenntheir 9 beers deep? dude is entertaining, this and hermans episodes have been the best two in a long ass time

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2018, 04:30:50 AM »
are there any good Baker stories or anything I should skip to?  Because I don’t think I’m gonna make it through all of this one.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2018, 06:27:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My nigga dustin dollin. That was like top 5 nine club I dont know why you guys are so mad. You guys sound like gay faggot stoners without any lesbian friends.
[close]

Can you imagine what kind of person would ever type out the phrase "my nigga dustin dollin"? LOL

[close]
Yes

perfect

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 995
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2018, 07:03:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He also tried to spread the idea that vodka in a water bottle was one of his favourite ways to drink. Which is a convenient way to make people think you're drinking more often than you really are.
What's more likely – Dollin pretending to be an alcoholic for decades just to sell an image, or Dollin being an actual alcoholic pile of garbage that drinks vodka from a water bottle because you can carry it around in public without getting a ticket/arrested?

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2018, 09:10:44 AM »
For all the annoying rambling and self-righteous drinking justifications it is refreshing to hear people "go there" for example saying volcom paid him a lot.  All the Baker guys on the show seem open about that kind of stuff.  I'd hate it/him as a whole if I knew him in person but as a skate figure it's pretty entertaining
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2018, 10:03:40 AM »
This is one of the worst interviews I've ever heard.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2018, 10:24:17 AM »
If you’re complaining about having watched/listened to the whole thing, joke’s on you.

Did anyone actually expect any kind of coherent interview with Dustin Dollin? He said some pretty cringey, non-PC shit, but to say it was not at least interesting is pretty ridiculous.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2211
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2018, 11:42:43 AM »
Dustin was nice when I met him,even though he was mustarding up a hot dog at the moment I said whats up. This episode was equivalent to him being at the corner of a dive bar you walked into for a couple, and got tangled into a long conversation.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2018, 12:43:48 PM »
This episode was equivalent to him being at the corner of a dive bar you walked into for a couple, and got tangled into a long conversation.

This actually happened to me with Dustin and he was super cool.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2018, 03:16:09 PM »
I love these kind of interviews, the ones where the guest barely has a filter, makes for some interesting talk. I don't think I'd ever wanna hang with the dude because he'd probably get on my nerves to no end but you can't deny this episode was entertaining as fuck, even if it's entertaining more like a car wreck where you wanna look away but you can't.

totally! he was candid which made for a good listen even if it was cringy at times
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 03:27:34 PM by redcurb12 »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2018, 03:39:31 PM »

You mean he's NOT 50?