Author Topic: tyshawn blessed  (Read 15614 times)

euro tm

Re: tyshawn blessed
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2018, 01:58:27 PM »
is the LA triple set trick staged? They bolt cut a chain? security does nothing after getting assaulted. i feel like if I grabbed a guards bike like that I would get maced. hella people standing around watching. The make shot has nak(a movie star; mid 90s) pushing the security guard out of the way in the foreground as TJ rolls up for the make. the shots too perfect and seems fake. with nak and jonah hill in the mix a permit to shoot there seems possible.

haha what the fuck. this is the funniest shit i’ve read in the thread so far. just go there yourself and see what happens.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2018, 02:07:51 PM »
The tricks are great, the filming is horrible ... is that debatable?
ugh yes, fine. it is. i've kind of come to unintentionally enjoy it though. i had a reading in school one time discussing analog and digital technology which mentioned that appeal still remains for analog technology because it's not perfect and leaves gaps that your brain has to fill in with what is essentially it's own interpretation of the subject matter. not that it's entirely the same, i think of that with bill's filming, though some of it is flat out pretty bad. the angle on the courthouse barrel ollie does it no justice.

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2018, 02:09:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This was impressive but is it what makes him SOTY?
[close]

Ollie-ing subway stations
Front boardsliding moving construction vehicles
Popping tricks to heights we’ve never seen except maybe Tiago
20/50 w Gonz
Blessed part

Dude has been ripping all year with good style and is obviously one of the best skaters in the world, why wouldn’t he be SOTY?
[close]

This sounds impressive on paper but the moving construction is basically still and he taps it. That nollie flip is contentious too.
That switch tre at the end of Blessed is sloppy as hell too.
I think he’s good but I’m not blown away by what he’s done this past year.

jesus do u people like anything ?
all year u wanna talk about how soty doesnt matter anymore and then still cry about who wins soty

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2018, 02:20:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

20/50 w Gonz
Blessed part

Dude has been ripping all year with good style and is obviously one of the best skaters in the world, why wouldn’t he be SOTY?
[close]

This sounds impressive on paper but the moving construction is basically still and he taps it. That nollie flip is contentious too.
[close]

all year u wanna talk about how soty doesnt matter anymore and then still cry about who wins soty

You’ve taken that out of context. I’ve said multiple times in this thread I think he’s good, ie I ‘like’ it. I’m, like others, questioning whether it warrants skater of the year. A lot of other skaters ripped pretty hard this year and in the past so it’s pretty high standard one must skate at to win SOTY.

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2018, 02:30:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

20/50 w Gonz
Blessed part

[close]

[close]

[close]

You’ve taken that out of context. I’ve said multiple times in this thread I think he’s good, ie I ‘like’ it. I’m, like others, questioning whether it warrants skater of the year. A lot of other skaters ripped pretty hard this year and in the past so it’s pretty high standard one must skate at to win SOTY.

the thing with tyshawns part is that it felt special and felt like a moment in skateboarding for alot of people (not everyone obviously) but i cant say the same for evans element part and i think thats why they gave tyshawn soty

coneklr

« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2018, 02:35:08 PM »
Expand Quote
The tricks are great, the filming is horrible ... is that debatable?
[close]
ugh yes, fine. it is. i've kind of come to unintentionally enjoy it though. i had a reading in school one time discussing analog and digital technology which mentioned that appeal still remains for analog technology because it's not perfect and leaves gaps that your brain has to fill in with what is essentially it's own interpretation of the subject matter. not that it's entirely the same, i think of that with bill's filming, though some of it is flat out pretty bad. the angle on the courthouse barrel ollie does it no justice.

That and that switch flip are two that really come to mind for me.  Also if that bump to bar backside flip is the rail I'm thinking of that somehow came off as way less gnarly than when I looked at it years ago ... in which case I feel bad for Tyshawn because he's risking himself only for it to not even come across as crazy as it is

coneklr

« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2018, 02:36:15 PM »
To be fair though, I'm old and jaded and a lot of shit is not appealing to me these days.

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2018, 02:54:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

20/50 w Gonz
Blessed part

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

the thing with tyshawns part is that it felt special and felt like a moment in skateboarding for alot of people (not everyone obviously) but i cant say the same for evans element part and i think thats why they gave tyshawn soty

Sure I get that.

Personally it felt a bit too fabricated.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2018, 03:51:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

20/50 w Gonz
Blessed part

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sure I get that.

Personally it felt a bit too fabricated.

It felt special because every trick was punctuated with other skaters celebrating and chasing him around

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2018, 05:36:03 PM »
Expand Quote
is the LA triple set trick staged? They bolt cut a chain? security does nothing after getting assaulted. i feel like if I grabbed a guards bike like that I would get maced. hella people standing around watching. The make shot has nak(a movie star; mid 90s) pushing the security guard out of the way in the foreground as TJ rolls up for the make. the shots too perfect and seems fake. with nak and jonah hill in the mix a permit to shoot there seems possible.
[close]

haha what the fuck. this is the funniest shit i’ve read in the thread so far. just go there yourself and see what happens.
what does that even mean? what do you think will happen when i go there? ill get to skate and discover I'm wrong? nope. I've actually been there and you can barely even walk around there with a skateboard. security was ready taze my ass...peeps in the biz know how to get permits to shoot on location.

everythingisgreat

• Rep: -130
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2018, 06:09:16 PM »
"Bless" whoever made that edited down version on SLAP that made the whole video 38 minutes. So much useless bullshit in here that I didn't see before, especially him shoving the fences out of peoples hands and telling them to fuck off when they're peacefully trying to do their job. Sometimes I hate skateboarders so much.

Felt the same way- it was hard as a father and a taxpayer to not think of these fucking kids as brats and entitled. Especially when they were pretty close to harassing regular people who were just working. In my day, we would just come back. Not confront and punch glass windows like Nakel did. That was a bit extreme. I’m all for the skate or die attitude but sometimes it feels like some of the behavior is a bit unnecessary if not completely uncalled for. It’s right on the line. That said, I completely believe Tyshawn deserved SOTY. For everything that I mentioned above (dedication) plus style and a refreshing approach, he deserves the accolade. Plus he looks damn good skating down the street in New York with the city going on in the background. Finally, Will Stroebeck should’ve had some consultation in the editing room. But what do I know I’m drinking Gin.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 06:11:35 PM by everythingisgreat »

everythingisgreat

• Rep: -130
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2018, 06:13:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
what does that even mean? what do you think will happen when i go there? ill get to skate and discover I'm wrong? nope. I've actually been there and you can barely even walk around there with a skateboard. security was ready taze my ass...peeps in the biz know how to get permits to shoot on location.

As funny as this is to say... it might not actually be that far off from being a truth about skate videos in the next decade lol.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2018, 06:28:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you don't need any inside resource to get a permit (https://www.filmla.com/for-filmmakers/permits/), but it can get pricey.  Hell, two blocks down the street it that really low 20 stair rail Dyrdek shot for that DC commericial/Hard Day's Night parody, though that was an actual production.  I'd be curious to see if Jenkem could do an article about permitting a high traffic/bust spot somewhere to see if they can get away with a session

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2018, 07:08:58 PM »
Here’s the TJ interview that was in his Thrasher
cover issue. Pre-blessed and SOTY
http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/tyshawn-jones-interview/

The way he did that fakie ollie is nuts. Same with this switch flip. Photo definitely looks like he’s gonna sw backside flip
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:14:50 PM by VHS ERA »

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2018, 08:26:51 PM »

The way he did that fakie ollie is nuts. Same with this switch flip. Photo definitely looks like he’s gonna sw backside flip

it's bonkers how much better these photos are than the footage. the photos actually make the tricks look as hard as they are.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2018, 08:35:40 PM »
heard he got soty cause he got away with the garret hill pants unscathed

thebacker

« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2018, 09:12:41 PM »

some really fucking sick photos in this, wow

UL8

• Rep: 29
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2018, 10:06:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

some really fucking sick photos in this, wow
Love this story too:
L: The day you landed, though, it was a battle and a half. What happened while you were trying it?
I was skating the spot, getting really close—I might’ve even stuck it and some big-ass 18-wheeler truck pulls up next to us. Out of nowhere, the door at the top of the bump to bar just swings open. I’ve never even seen that thing open before. The superintendent pops out and puts a brick in it to prop the door open. We’re trying to figure out what’s going on and tell him we’re just trying to skate this thing and get out of there. He tells us that they hired a trash company and had to take all of the trash out of the building. We look inside and there was something like 100 cases of empty bottles, cans and 200 trash bags. The trash company had two guys and they told us it was going to take about two or three hours for them to finish it. We were, like, ten deep so we were, like, Fuck it, we all gonna pitch in. Everyone took off they shirt and got busy. The company didn’t even do shit and we ended up doing the job in less than 30 minutes. They loaded the truck up and thanked us. We told them that we were going to have to bill them later for the extra hands. Anyway, they left and I had to warm up again, then started to get in the groove again. Out of nowhere I just did it. That was the hardest trick I’ve ever tried and we had to put in work just to make it skateable that day. It was the happiest day of my life.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2018, 04:25:51 AM »
^^^ that’s hilarious. I bought this Thrasher because the cover is ill but apparently haven’t read all his interview. I had a door open right in front of me like that (except, ya know, it was on a 2 step manny pad not an enormous bump to bar). I was one second from popping onto a nose manual and door comes flying open followed by a school janitor with trash bags.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2018, 05:28:13 AM »
you don't need any inside resource to get a permit (https://www.filmla.com/for-filmmakers/permits/), but it can get pricey.  Hell, two blocks down the street it that really low 20 stair rail Dyrdek shot for that DC commericial/Hard Day's Night parody, though that was an actual production.  I'd be curious to see if Jenkem could do an article about permitting a high traffic/bust spot somewhere to see if they can get away with a session

there's people who get permits for a living, you pay them to go get it for you.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2018, 07:03:11 AM »
Man thrasher took his part down way too soon.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2018, 07:28:43 AM »
Those were firemen not security guards.

grasping at straws level 9000

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2018, 08:03:44 AM »
Man thrasher took his part down way too soon.

Yea that shit should stay up for free by now tbh. Supreme has enough money.

thebacker

« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2018, 09:25:32 AM »

here's a shortened version someone put up a few days ago

buckfitchesmetgoney

• Rep: 9
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2018, 11:55:20 AM »
I think the security guard in the beginning is the same security guard at 15:45 in Shanahan's Street Sweeper part

Roast beef

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -734
  • My daughter is my world.
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2018, 12:32:00 PM »
It’s a good part but overall I was more blown away by Glicks souvenir part.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It’s the courage to continue that counts.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2018, 01:07:26 PM »
I wonder who would have won if Tyshawn skated for element instead of Supreme. An element rider isn’t gonna make Trasher any money. so if it hadn’t been about the money, who knows.
I really like this part tho.
Tyshawn is an incredibly talented athlete.
He’s our own Lebron. Kinda wild that in 2018 so many of the best up and coming skateboarders on the planet are jocks.
Skateboarding is weird.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:30:10 PM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2018, 01:18:13 PM »
Alt-angle of the switch flip. Definitely didn’t appreciate how high it had to be. I’m not as mad at Strobeck as some of yall but it does seem like some clips needed different angles to show how fucked up what TJ is doing really is.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2018, 01:43:25 PM »
I wonder who would have won if Tyshawn skated for element instead of Supreme. An element rider isn’t gonna make Trasher any money. sonif it hadn’t been about the money, who knows.
I really like this part tho.
Tyshawn is an incredibly talented athlete.
He’s our own Lebron. Kinda wild that in 2018 so many of the best up and coming skateboarders on the planet are jocks.
Skateboarding is weird.
Did you read the interview? I definitely would not consider Tyshawn a jock

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

zuma

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2018, 01:59:13 PM »
Alt-angle of the switch flip. Definitely didn’t appreciate how high it had to be. I’m not as mad at Strobeck as some of yall but it does seem like some clips needed different angles to show how fucked up what TJ is doing really is.

in the vid he wears a white t shirt so he did it twice