Author Topic: Older companies that are struggling to stay relevant  (Read 11526 times)

augustmoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
Re: Older companies that are struggling to stay relevant
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2018, 10:37:31 AM »
Enjoi
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

calvinsdream

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2018, 10:48:20 AM »
More importantly, what older board companies are still relevant?

Foundation (as of late)

Has anyone seen a foundation deck in the wild in the last five years?

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2018, 11:00:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Your list is biased to the cool guy factor. Plan B, DGK, Skate Mafia, and Almost all have a fan base and they sell a good amount of boards. Kids love it.  I'm sure Blind does but, has been whack for so long. Dudes backing small brands and being too cool for Black Label are fucking hypocrites. Creature wanted to be AH for so long and now they are turning into a weird contest skater thing. By far, Girl/Chocolate is chasing it's own tail looking for an identity in 2018.
[close]
You sure about it? Never seen one live, nor have hear anyone ever talks about them... rest of those brands for sure but almost.... and kids love youtube pros more than actual companies these days.
[close]

i know this sounds weird but judging a brands overall popularity based on what you see in person can be extremely misleading. i travel between the east and west coast frequently enough to see huge variances in what kids are riding. at home in the dc area i dont think ive ever seen a primitive deck and the local shops dont even stock them. i certainly wouldnt say they arent a big brand.

Yeah Same here I went to a park in a small town and every grom there was rocking Supra Sky Tops , Why? cause the local shredder they all looked up to rocked em. I see this everywhere I go trends vary depending on who's emulating Who.  I have seen so many Ben Kadow clones recently I'm starting to wonder if there is an online cult I don't know about.
" I did not say this I am not here"

Tortoise

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2018, 11:22:29 AM »
The year is 2364. Frog will be the only skateboard company.

slobplant

• Rep: -12
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2018, 11:25:35 AM »
Expand Quote
with the complete avalanche of new companies entering the skate scene, i feel like there are several companies that I remember being kind of staples and contributed a lot to the skate scene. but now, they're just not what they used to be and just not that relevant anymore or have gone some direction that I just don't understand
companies that immediately come to mind:
almost
plan b
blind
darkstar (do I even need to say it?)
DGK
sk8mafia (I love wes kremer still don't get me wrong)
stereo (yes, yoshi. but other than that? no clue what's keeping up board sales)

ADDITIONS:

girl/chocolate- all the collabs and reissues seem like a cover for a lack of creative ideas.
toy machine, as much as I hate to say it.
creature/santa cruz- idk even know what's going on there. saving grace of the creature team is david gravette
I would say foundation but idk I feel like since king of the road they've been killing it

what am I missing?
[close]

Plan b has chris joslin, trevor mcclung, and Felipe ya dumb cunt!!

Yeah but their graphics are god awful..

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2018, 11:29:29 AM »
Conversations of this theme have already been thru the ringer on slap.  All these points have been made repeatedly for 4 years id say.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2018, 11:38:03 AM »
Real and antihero are the first ones that come to mind.
Grant, Ishod, Dennis are all that’s good about them.
I would say BA but I don’t think we are gonna get anything new that’s not a boneless into a trick.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2018, 12:04:05 PM »
I don't think any skateboard company should ever go more than ten years. Maybe five, arguably one.

calvinsdream

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2018, 12:05:48 PM »
Expand Quote
with the complete avalanche of new companies entering the skate scene, i feel like there are several companies that I remember being kind of staples and contributed a lot to the skate scene. but now, they're just not what they used to be and just not that relevant anymore or have gone some direction that I just don't understand
almost
plan b
blind
DGK

ADDITIONS:

girl/chocolate- all the collabs and reissues seem like a cover for a lack of creative ideas.
creature/santa cruz- idk even know what's going on there. saving grace of the creature team is david gravette
I would say foundation but idk I feel like since king of the road they've been killing it

what am I missing?
[close]

Clown, worthless, more worthless

Backheels

• Rep: -160
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2018, 12:18:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
almost
plan b
blind
DGK

ADDITIONS:

what am I missing?
[close]

[close]

Yeah but their graphics are god awful..

They have some good graphics, even if you dont like their graphics that doesnt make them "irrelevant" thats supremely disingenuous

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2018, 12:21:45 PM »
Sounds like y'all are confusing relevancy for quality.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Tortoise

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2018, 12:22:48 PM »
High Speed Productions since 2016.

Backheels

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2018, 12:42:01 PM »

Sounds like you cant separate your opinions from the reality of the industry......

C. R. E. A. M

• Rep: -74
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2018, 12:48:23 PM »
Stabbed myself in the anus trying to hardflip a gap with a foundation board back in the day.. Those Tum Yeto boards turn to fucking swords after chipping

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2018, 01:02:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sounds like you cant separate your opinions from the reality of the industry......
Nah, what I'm trying to say is that although certain companies are whack (Plan B for example) it's ludicrous to say that they're not relevant. Joslin, Felipe, Leticia, etc are all some of the biggest names in skating right now. Saying they're clinging to relevancy because they're not relevant within our demographic completely ignores the rest of the industry, I think you're the one that doesn't understand the reality of it. The kids love skaters like the ones I just mentioned, and kids who skate outnumber "core" (using that term loosely) adults by far.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 01:06:40 PM by planman »

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Backheels

« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2018, 01:09:44 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Nah, what I'm trying to say is that although certain companies are whack (Plan B for example) it's ludicrous to say that they're not relevant. Joslin, Felipe, Leticia, etc are all some of the biggest names in skating right now. Saying they're clinging to relevancy because they're not relevant within our demographic completely ignores the rest of the industry, I think you're the one that doesn't understand the reality of it. The kids love skaters like the ones I just mentioned, and kids who skate outnumber "core" (using that term loosely) adults by far.

Exactly,  reguardless of what you think they're aren't irrelevant. Anyone who says is either ignorant or doesn't know the definition of "relevancy". Separate logic from emotions.

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2018, 01:24:36 PM »
Expand Quote

Foundation (as of late)
[close]

Read the other comments in this thread, but yeah I'm currently on my third foundation this year I'm pretty sure.

Just Giver

• Rep: 17
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2018, 01:42:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Your list is biased to the cool guy factor. Plan B, DGK, Skate Mafia, and Almost all have a fan base and they sell a good amount of boards. Kids love it.  I'm sure Blind does but, has been whack for so long. Dudes backing small brands and being too cool for Black Label are fucking hypocrites. Creature wanted to be AH for so long and now they are turning into a weird contest skater thing. By far, Girl/Chocolate is chasing it's own tail looking for an identity in 2018.
[close]
You sure about it? Never seen one live, nor have hear anyone ever talks about them... rest of those brands for sure but almost.... and kids love youtube pros more than actual companies these days.
[close]

i know this sounds weird but judging a brands overall popularity based on what you see in person can be extremely misleading. i travel between the east and west coast frequently enough to see huge variances in what kids are riding. at home in the dc area i dont think ive ever seen a primitive deck and the local shops dont even stock them. i certainly wouldnt say they arent a big brand.

I know this is slightly besides your point, but have you ever been to Olney skatepark or Lake Fairfax?  There are a ton of kids on Primitive boards at those parks. 

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2018, 01:47:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I know this is slightly besides your point, but have you ever been to Olney skatepark or Lake Fairfax?  There are a ton of kids on Primitive boards at those parks.

ive only been to olney once and it was a weekend morning with mostly old dudes and lake fairfax once a long time ago.

im sure there are primitive decks out there. the fact that vu doesnt carry them says a lot about local demand.

one time i saw a svrn deck at woodside and i almost passed out.

Roast beef

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -733
  • My daughter is my world.
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2018, 02:13:30 PM »
The best way to narrow this down would be to start thread asking which brands actually are relevant.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It’s the courage to continue that counts.

Just Giver

• Rep: 17
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2018, 02:14:12 PM »
Vú has had a few of the more popular Primitve series but typically doesn’t have any in stock.  It does tend to be irrelevant skatepark lurkers who purchase Primitive around here.  Also, Woodside is the epicenter of Art House DMV, and that’s the absolute worst thing in DC skateboarding besides that one kid Splif at Pulaski. 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 02:19:35 PM by Just Giver »

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2018, 02:38:37 PM »
Expand Quote

Foundation (as of late)
[close]

After kotr ive been seeing them around here in the midwest, Almost everyone was a cole wilson board
I thought about trying one out

humanflies

• Rep: 7
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2018, 02:40:57 PM »
(DO NOT READ UNTIL JANUARY 2019)

Fallen

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2018, 05:23:09 PM »
Expand Quote

Baker
Foundation (as of late)
Maybe that's it?
[close]
deluxe
and Creature

Tally810

• Rep: -9
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2018, 07:11:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Foundation (as of late)
[close]

[close]
After kotr ive been seeing them around here in the midwest, Almost everyone was a cole wilson board
I thought about trying one out
After the foundation video and kotr two of my locals stocked up on foundation decks and they have been moving pretty well.  Especially the glick models

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2018, 07:26:20 PM »
zoo york, but it doesn't really seem like they're trying to be relevant. Pretty sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmUYlIPHXyY

Skating mixed with all the freestyle footage from Stretch and Bobbito is so sick. Except I wasn't really feeling Jeff Pang's song too much. I like his part but that track is pretty fucked up.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 07:28:26 PM by Bristol_Palin »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2018, 07:36:12 PM »
Last I heard, Zoo York cut their skate team so I think they don't count at all. Fully failed to stay relevant or however you wanna say it.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Soft Boiled

• Rep: 21
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2018, 07:40:34 PM »
Mocha

Ducky Fucky

• Rep: -75
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2018, 09:06:34 PM »
Expand Quote
almost
plan b
blind
DGK

ADDITIONS:

what am I missing?
[close]

Yeah Plan B  Fucking Sucks !!!!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 09:33:13 PM by Ducky Fucky »

cilantro

• Rep: 44
  • human bean
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2018, 09:14:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Yeah Same here I went to a park in a small town and every grom there was rocking Supra Sky Tops , Why? cause the local shredder they all looked up to rocked em. I see this everywhere I go trends vary depending on who's emulating Who.  I have seen so many Ben Kadow clones recently I'm starting to wonder if there is an online cult I don't know about.

Local friend recently started getting flowed for Stereo, so now there’s usually a good 9 of us at the local park skating his old stereo decks at any time