Author Topic: SF Chronicle: "Thrasher: skateboard culture’s hot spot on Sixth Street"  (Read 8720 times)

TheLurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 655
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: SF Chronicle: "Thrasher: skateboard culture’s hot spot on Sixth Street"
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2018, 03:59:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Phelps mentally challenged ass still thinks thrasher is the corest thing in skating while utterly ruining it.
[close]

I remember when he almost got fired about 10 years ago. Too bad he held on to his job.
[close]

What’d he do?
[close]
I think the conspiracy theory (at least the one I heard) was that Burnett saw some value in having Phelps be the face, so he (Burnett) could just run things behind the scenes. Burnett's move to set himself up for big things after skateboarding, like Spike and Tremaine, etc.
[close]

It has been forever since this happened, but I thought Phelps said something he shouldn't have said to someone he shouldn't have said it to? I think this all went down around the time that Rowley punched Phelps.

But, I honestly, have no clue at this point. I just remember one day everyone was like, "Phelps is getting fired because [of something]."
[close]
5 days of hate. Phelps was gonna talk shit on a different black listed skater each day for a week. the first episode was about Frank Hirata and how he designed shitty parks, and his girlfriend designed an add or something for the mag that Jake wiped his ass with. Jake was shut down after the first episode and made a vid saying he was fired, and then a day later made another vid saying hes not fired anymore but cant do things that slanderize people. It was the first time i realized that Thrasher cant actually do and say whatever they want.

Damn, you've got a pretty good memory. This sounds right to me.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2018, 04:37:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Phelps mentally challenged ass still thinks thrasher is the corest thing in skating while utterly ruining it.
[close]

I remember when he almost got fired about 10 years ago. Too bad he held on to his job.
[close]

What’d he do?
[close]
I think the conspiracy theory (at least the one I heard) was that Burnett saw some value in having Phelps be the face, so he (Burnett) could just run things behind the scenes. Burnett's move to set himself up for big things after skateboarding, like Spike and Tremaine, etc.
[close]

It has been forever since this happened, but I thought Phelps said something he shouldn't have said to someone he shouldn't have said it to? I think this all went down around the time that Rowley punched Phelps.

But, I honestly, have no clue at this point. I just remember one day everyone was like, "Phelps is getting fired because [of something]."
[close]
5 days of hate. Phelps was gonna talk shit on a different black listed skater each day for a week. the first episode was about Frank Hirata and how he designed shitty parks, and his girlfriend designed an add or something for the mag that Jake wiped his ass with. Jake was shut down after the first episode and made a vid saying he was fired, and then a day later made another vid saying hes not fired anymore but cant do things that slanderize people. It was the first time i realized that Thrasher cant actually do and say whatever they want.
[close]

Damn, you've got a pretty good memory. This sounds right to me.
selective. I cant remember names of people ive met over 3 times. I was really juiced on the 5 days of hate, then bummed when it got blocked. Was also excited for a potential new era of thrasher without phelps at the helm. Not that i dont like phelps. I just like when things change around. here is a link to a thread about it.
http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=32516.msg822154#msg822154

Trickflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2018, 05:31:33 PM »
Phelps is trying to pursue his career as an SF skate history teacher. Every convo I've had with him would instantly turn into an "I remember when"
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 05:37:14 PM by Trickflip »

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2018, 06:13:33 PM »
I like that phelps never had the
"Oh fuck I'm a super old dude chilling with preteens"
alarm go off in his head

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2018, 06:56:43 PM »
I like that phelps never had the
"Oh fuck I'm a super old dude chilling with preteens"
alarm go off in his head

It’s the carhartt vest. He believes it gives him super cool status. That’s why you never see him without it
Suns out, im going skating. chow

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2018, 07:15:35 PM »
Don't forget "the kiss" article about him.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2018, 02:10:48 AM »
drove past it today. Place was crawling with bums.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2018, 05:20:47 AM »
What’s the bathroom policy like?

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2018, 09:03:13 AM »
phelps only likes #1 on his chest no #2 allowed in the store

colin

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2018, 09:30:58 AM »
Expand Quote
you don't make money selling magazines
[close]

I didn't insinuate that they did. I just said I was curious how much money they have made selling their cheap t-shirts.

I haven't done screen printing, but I did embroidery for a while. Wholesale t-shirts are like two bucks a pop and other supplies are like pennies per shirt. So $25 - $3 x however many millions of those things they've sold

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2018, 09:58:19 AM »

take a piss anywhere you like

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2018, 10:19:16 AM »
The last time I walked down 6th street the smell of bum piss was stuck in my nose for a few days.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2018, 10:24:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Quote from: gaseous clay link=topic=103008.msg2926366#msg2926366 date=1546154510
[quote author=Bony cawk link=topic=103008.msg2926194#msg2926194 date=1546127486
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What’d he do?
[close]
[close]

Didn’t he shoot some kid with a BB gun at a demo and there was a mini uproar about that?

I think Thrasher makes most of its money as a website for video content where it just slaps its watermark on other companies products.   Annoying, but on the other hand, Atlantic Drift was Vitello’s idea, so at least they’re inspiring/commissioning good stuff
[/quote]

Where did that random info just come from?!
p-shuvs and v-flips

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2018, 10:51:29 AM »
I have some friends that went to the Carbondale Run in 2004. It was a big camp out at a new Grindline park hosted by Thrasher for KOTR. Hundreds of skaters camped and raged for a few days. They were having a bb gun gauntlet where you had to run through a little obstacle course while everyone shot at you with bb guns. My friends have lots of stories from that trip, some of which are about Jake shooting people with the bb gun.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 655
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2018, 01:06:33 PM »
This story reminds me of the Foundation demo where that kid takes a dart in the ass for a Foundation deck.

5:48

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2018, 02:04:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quote from: gaseous clay link=topic=103008.msg2926366#msg2926366 date=1546154510
[quote author=Bony cawk link=topic=103008.msg2926194#msg2926194 date=1546127486
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What’d he do?
[close]
[close]

[close]

Didn’t he shoot some kid with a BB gun at a demo and there was a mini uproar about that?

I think Thrasher makes most of its money as a website for video content where it just slaps its watermark on other companies products.   Annoying, but on the other hand, Atlantic Drift was Vitello’s idea, so at least they’re inspiring/commissioning good stuff

Where did that random info just come from?!
[/quote]

The interviews with AD guys said Vitello wanted to do a series with Tom Knox’s crew and hit them up to do it

Coffee Shop George

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2018, 02:12:12 PM »
drove past it today. Place was crawling with bums.
Welcome to San Francisco.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2018, 02:12:47 PM »

No pads

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2018, 04:43:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
San Francisco has been utterly ridiculous for several generations.
[close]
GX1000 made the best video in years SF still got a little something.
[close]
sf is still awesome just nobody can live there anymore
[close]

I'm going in the spring...I have never been to Cali in my 43 years. I wanna bring my board but I also know that I am not bombing a hill. More like heck ride, am I right? Guys?

Go get a carve at the China Banks before it gets ripped out
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea