Author Topic: Andy Macdonald | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 126  (Read 16575 times)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
Re: Andy Macdonald | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 126
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2019, 05:47:21 PM »
After reading the Pro Spotlight posted above, two things stood out:

1) "The walls in his room are plastered with skateboard paraphernalia and his living room has plastic, phony TVs and VCRs. (He hates TV with a passion... "

So back in 1999, his room had fake TVs and VCRs because he hates TV. This is obviously part of his "offbeat" humour. No wonder he rubbed so many people the wrong way, who would find fake TVs and VCRs funny? It's the same thing with that whole Ben Hatchell helmet brouhaha. Still, it's cool that he doesn't like TV.

2) "There is even a skater out there who is a racist shitheel, and he doesn’t get treated like Andy has."

This sentence. I'm not sure who wrote the article, but I'm wondering if he's referring to 1010? And if so, how long has the journalistic urge to reveal what's been going on with 1010 been around? And isn't it kind of telling that out of all the skate outlets for opinion and information out there, Slap was the one to really break the camel's back?

quadcuff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2019, 05:50:38 PM »
I’m curious how many people out there actually asked for this

regardless, it's interesting

quadcuff

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2019, 05:52:22 PM »
Andy Mac is 100% authentic cornball.

given the chance you would 100% make every move andy mac did if you were offered the money

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2019, 06:35:15 PM »
I liked it. Andy Mac is fine with me. I thought he was cool A kid.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2019, 06:47:01 PM »

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2019, 07:47:38 PM »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2019, 08:08:45 PM »
Does anyone remember a trick tip he had in an early 411VM that was like a 360 to fakie with a kickflip that you grabbed mute in mid spin but your body turned around and you landed in a backside grab?

It was so clear that almost no one was ever going to be learning that trick and perhaps no one but MacDonald EVER did one so the whole point of the "Trick Tip" was mainly just to show off this thing that looked like a very difficult body varial.

The best part? Andy explains how to do the trick whilst doing a doubles juggling routine with Laban Pheidas.

Edit: Oh shit, I found it. I'll try to time stamp but it's at 27:00

http://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=DK4cU7bTVzo#t=27m00s
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:58:51 AM by Willie »

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2019, 10:14:55 PM »

Street Mac doing flatground nollie tres in full pads made me wake up my chick from laughing. She didn't find the humour in it.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2019, 07:48:00 AM »
I find Andy punk-rock to a small extent. Take what you can get, don't give a shit what anybody thinks, and do it all with a smile on your face. Everyone else is worried about safeguarding their image, or how not to cheapen the act of being a sponsored skater within itself.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2019, 07:54:43 AM »
Just finished the episode. Dude is a full blown narcissist. Forget what ever questions Crob asked him, he would go off on a tangent how he was the first athlete to do something. I get the point of the show, but it almost seems like he's trying to validate his own dorkiness.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2019, 08:16:07 AM »
dude that nollie tre was really nice .. my shits barely pop
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2019, 08:28:02 AM »

Kelly Hart doin it "yeah right" style?
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2019, 08:29:11 AM »
unironically, this episode was rock'n

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2019, 09:21:19 AM »
After reading the Pro Spotlight posted above, two things stood out:
2) "There is even a skater out there who is a racist shitheel, and he doesn’t get treated like Andy has."

This sentence. I'm not sure who wrote the article, but I'm wondering if he's referring to 1010? And if so, how long has the journalistic urge to reveal what's been going on with 1010 been around? And isn't it kind of telling that out of all the skate outlets for opinion and information out there, Slap was the one to really break the camel's back?

the only readon jason jesse got a pass over andy mac = this REAL, unedited skateboardmag cover.

the industry only sponsers the cool guy on top,
just look at todd falcon, no room for the actual best
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:29:44 AM by behavioralguide »

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2019, 10:28:22 AM »
Gnarred. I wonder if that's actually possible.

Also, Andy should get his dental situation sorted out. Not looking too good.

Definitely have a lot of respect for him for promoting sustainability so much, though.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2019, 10:54:52 AM »
https://skateboarding.transworld.net/magazine-archive/andy-macdonald-pro-spotlight/

Maybe I've interpreted this article wrong, but the letter really isn't that bad. From what I can tell reading this Transworld article, a younger Andy Mac wrote a letter as if it was in the future and he had established his professional skateboarding career. Dude was just channeling his dreams through this letter and it sounds like with a little bit of embellishment for humors sake.

Honestly, Andy Mac is the suburban dad's favorite skater. If my dad had an interest in skateboarding, he'd love the hell out of the Mac. I found it interesting listening to him talk about his contest skating strategy, and doing doubles with Tony. As well as making his own brand to make skateboarding more accessible to those who can't afford 100+ for a new set up, let alone a full kit of shoes, pads (ramps), helmet whatever. I almost feel like he's a pioneer of not caring about all the people talking shit, and taking on all these other crazy sponsors. I grew up with the philosophy of keeping skateboarding in skateboarding, but with that said, having grown up, and certain revelations about the darker side of skateboarding, I feel like that's changed for me.

Within reason, why not take advantage of certain opportunities? Make the most of a career that most are very fortunate to see last ten years. As much as I feel like a red bull hat can take away style points, I also can look past that because I'd rather see talented dudes get properly taken care of regardless of a hat or not. I love skateboarding but sometimes I'm watching these GX1000 dudes and I can't help but thinking these guys are fucking morons, but I love it! Bunch of maniacs. Roll Up was so much fun to watch, they all are, but goddamnit I worry about those dudes!

Talent usually shuts people up and if you're a humble, charming person, that will shut people up even more. Andy probably rubs a lot of skaters the wrong way because he's actually a smart, mature person and that is intimidating in its own right.

As well as licensing his name to a brand of garbage that will be sold at Walmart, Amazon, Big Lots etc.

artskool

• Rep: 31
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2019, 02:12:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Andy Mac is 100% authentic cornball.
[close]

given the chance you would 100% make every move andy mac did if you were offered the money

It would never happen, my personal brand is not authentically in line with all the bullshit that has paid his bills over the years. I don't even think it's that lame to have goofy sponsors if you're genuinely stoked on them like he is. Way worse when people take checks from Monster but are embarrassed about it.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3330
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2019, 02:28:10 PM »
He's a more successful, less sexy Doug Brown.

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2019, 08:45:52 PM »
Chris was really trying to make that Clinton impression a thing

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1191
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2019, 09:28:11 PM »
I find Andy punk-rock to a small extent. Take what you can get, don't give a shit what anybody thinks, and do it all with a smile on your face. Everyone else is worried about safeguarding their image, or how not to cheapen the act of being a sponsored skater within itself.

I feel the same way.  Besides the fact that he campaigned for the opportunity to assist Amazon in putting even more skate shops out of business, I really can’t hate on him.

He’s far more self-aware and pragmatic than the average pro; and he just flat-out refuses to alter who he is to try to fit in.   

I liked what he said about Powell Peralta’s position in the industry: often making the best stuff, but marketing themselves horribly... as well as the hypocracy of a lot of pros not using the products they endorse (in the case of the open secret that a lot of guys skate bones Swiss while repping some other brand.)
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Get the strap

« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2019, 10:58:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes definitely fuck I thought Andy Mac actually did one till I read your post. I saw a pic of them pic wearing the same outfit too, the arm, shrug and knee steeze is obviously Kelly.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2019, 11:24:40 PM »
The phrase "skateboarder extraordinaire" is a loathsome combination of words. It was in one of those dorky trailers that got posted in the best skateboarding video of all time thread and I wondered how in the hell that phrase ever got used more than once. If Andy Mac coined it like I think he did well then he has a lot to answer for.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Tally810

• Rep: -9
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2019, 11:38:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes definitely fuck I thought Andy Mac actually did one till I read your post. I saw a pic of them pic wearing the same outfit too, the arm, shrug and knee steeze is obviously Kelly.
I just realized Mac comes walking up on the left side after the trick after Kelly rolled to the right lol

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2019, 12:36:34 AM »
Never given a shit about Andy Mac but enjoyed this. Dude cut his own path and doesn’t give a shit about being a cornball.  Gettin it done, good on him.

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2019, 01:25:12 AM »
I didn’t notice how much he bragged until I went on slap during the middle of interview and saw that’s what the comments were. After that, I couldn’t not see it
But that’s kind of how this episode became more interesting. he took initiative to tell stories rather than just directly tell the history of sponsors he’s had. He’s a goofy guy but at least he doesn’t pretend to be something he’s not

quadcuff

« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2019, 10:11:02 AM »
yeah it's getting to the point where if the guest doesn't lead the episode to stories based off the standard questions it usually isn't that interesting

tura

• Rep: 45
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2019, 04:02:25 PM »
Reckon the contrast between the last two guests was by design? Like skateboarding's veteran shithead-and-proud-of-it followed by the professional rad dad. Not too long ago, everyone would've been on Dollin's nuts and calling Andy a fag; now it seems like the majority are more appreciative of Andy Mac's wholesomeness. Pretty funny that several people in this thread have described Andy Mac as being the true punk, while in the Dollin thread is full of folk laughing at him for thinking he's punk. I'd love to hear Dollin respond to the assertion that Andy Mac embodies the punk ideology haha

DM

• Rep: 25
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2019, 04:58:19 PM »
Kelly Hart is tagged in the nollie tre.

Bagelskate

• Rep: 62
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2019, 05:28:34 PM »
Kelly’s underrated imo. His knowledge of 411 is always impressive and it’s cool to see him fan out/appreciate with certain pros.

Not a bad episode, and the street clip after was pretty funny

Algar

• Rep: 28
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2019, 08:15:23 PM »
Patagonia sponsorship is pretty sick, Alex Olson is so jealous