Author Topic: Snowboard Appreciation  (Read 54007 times)

Shtonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -287
Re: Snowboard Appreciation
« Reply #870 on: March 21, 2024, 12:34:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This thread started with a yawgoons shoutout and Dylan gamache is my all time fave. What happened to them, why are there no more edits? Ran out of steam?
[close]

That cab (?) from flat he did over a legit full-size picnic table in one of the last edits is mind-blowing.
[close]

I think the filmer Dr. Brendan is a full time dentist and films occasionally still.  Dylan Gamache is super lowkey, but still boards in the NE.  Marcus Rand still boards and lives in Portland.

Thx for the update. I heard Gamache was just not made for the travelling lifestyle although Capita was pretty much ready to turn him pro. I mean we were over here in the Alps suddenly snubbing pow rides for fresh groomed piste to try and imitate him. I had so many hangup belly flops trying to replicate the 270 on with the nose going under the rail. Guy pretty much ushered in a new genre of style and riding from some little bluff on the icecoast and no real sponsors to start out with. A year later dropped street footy that was so hard it made 90% of videograss look like fools and a couple years after just faded back into obscurity. One of the true mythical legends of my generation's snowboarding alongside Keegan Valaika, Wyatt Stasinos and Jonas Michilot. Everyone else turned into abysmal social media milkers.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #871 on: March 22, 2024, 05:56:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This thread started with a yawgoons shoutout and Dylan gamache is my all time fave. What happened to them, why are there no more edits? Ran out of steam?
[close]

That cab (?) from flat he did over a legit full-size picnic table in one of the last edits is mind-blowing.
[close]

I think the filmer Dr. Brendan is a full time dentist and films occasionally still.  Dylan Gamache is super lowkey, but still boards in the NE.  Marcus Rand still boards and lives in Portland.
[close]

Thx for the update. I heard Gamache was just not made for the travelling lifestyle although Capita was pretty much ready to turn him pro. I mean we were over here in the Alps suddenly snubbing pow rides for fresh groomed piste to try and imitate him. I had so many hangup belly flops trying to replicate the 270 on with the nose going under the rail. Guy pretty much ushered in a new genre of style and riding from some little bluff on the icecoast and no real sponsors to start out with. A year later dropped street footy that was so hard it made 90% of videograss look like fools and a couple years after just faded back into obscurity. One of the true mythical legends of my generation's snowboarding alongside Keegan Valaika, Wyatt Stasinos and Jonas Michilot. Everyone else turned into abysmal social media milkers.

Dylan Gamache and the Yawgoons edits are the best. That's the first thing I got into when I started snowboarding. I know they've been slow in the last few years but hopefully there's some sort of edit coming from this season as well. At least Brian Skorupski posted some IG stories riding Yawgoo.

Gamache is the king but I always really liked Marcus Rand's riding too, his signature tricks. He used to post a lot of snowboarding, riding with Scott Stevens a lot at Mt. Baker, those edits were always a treat. He suddenly stopped posting anything like a year ago, this season he hasn't posted one single clip, I think. And he hasn't been in any of Scott Stevens's clips either.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 44
« Reply #872 on: March 22, 2024, 11:31:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Met Keegan and Frank April in Mammoth over Thanksgiving weekend in 2016. I was trying to smoke a blunt and lost my lighter so was hanging out at the bottom of chair 6 looking for someone who might have one. As Keegan approached the line I asked him if he wanted to smoke a blunt and that he'd have to ride the lift with me so we wouldn't get in trouble. He was like hell yeah I'll ride the lift with you, we get on the lift, Frank lets me use his lighter and smokes a cigarette while me, Keegan, and their friend smoke this blunt. The next day I ran into their friend, he offers me dabs so we went to his car and dabbed and he's like did you know that was Keegan Valaika and Frank April. I'm like no way, always loved his part in Bozwreck. We chatted a bit, I remember asking if he knew how Boznutz was doing as I remember he went thru a lot.  Anyways sorry for the long post, just saw Keegan mentioned and had to jump in

Shtonk

« Reply #873 on: March 24, 2024, 12:14:03 AM »
Do yourself a favour and don't try to find out how Bozung is doing. This guys last 10-15 years have been one continuous serious bummer.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #874 on: March 26, 2024, 06:01:39 PM »
I just got back from a New Hampshire trip that I booked several weeks ago expecting to ride pure late-season junk. Instead we lucked into a fresh 22” or so. Here on the east coast that’s like winning the lottery. And a great reminder of why we do this shit

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 12
« Reply #875 on: March 29, 2024, 11:16:10 PM »
Do yourself a favour and don't try to find out how Bozung is doing. This guys last 10-15 years have been one continuous serious bummer.

Yeah I just watched his latest interview with stoney buds. The problem is those guys (the bombhole etc) all blow smoke up his ass so he still thinks he’s relevant and riding off his early days on forum etc. he looks like snowboardings version of Johnny Depp now

Shtonk

« Reply #876 on: March 30, 2024, 04:35:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I just watched his latest interview with stoney buds. The problem is those guys (the bombhole etc) all blow smoke up his ass so he still thinks he’s relevant and riding off his early days on forum etc. he looks like snowboardings version of Johnny Depp now

After all the stuff he's said and done it's awful that he still gets given a platform but grenier and e-stone are just spineless like that. The Bennee and first JP itvs are awesome, all due to the guests tho, not the hosts

Mywm

• Rep: 4
« Reply #877 on: April 01, 2024, 02:32:16 PM »
Tail/nose presses and butter tricks and this kind of shit must feel amazing. Never got anywhere near a snowboard, but watching vids they look so satisfying.
I have a bad habit of doing those lil ollie tail scrapes that people often do over manholes all the time, also learned Ray Barbee's no comply tailscrape thingy recently, it feels great just holding it even for a split second with a foot on the ground. An actual springy ass tail press must by the shit.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #878 on: April 10, 2024, 02:35:34 PM »
had a fun season, got a solid 30 days in, got lucky with tons of powder days.

snowboarding keeps me sane during the winters. already looking forward to next season.