Author Topic: Show Me Your Curbs  (Read 53937 times)

jsettle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 134
Re: Show Me Your Curbs
« Reply #240 on: March 04, 2022, 05:02:03 AM »
found a new curb spot last night so decided to make a lil edit there

https://www.instagram.com/p/Caq71FJgyez/

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #241 on: March 04, 2022, 06:01:26 AM »
Ive found some nice shaped curbs, how do I get them started? All curb here are pretty crusty and not painted.

Is it clear coat first then wax or just clear coat?

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #242 on: March 04, 2022, 07:54:20 AM »
Ive found some nice shaped curbs, how do I get them started? All curb here are pretty crusty and not painted.

rub brick, dust, 2 coats of clear coat, then wax to desired feel, you wont need a lot but you might need some

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #243 on: March 04, 2022, 10:05:57 AM »
Has anyone tried rub bricking on a rainy day? Seems like a good way to avoid inhaling concrete dust and give you something to do when you can't skate anyway.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #244 on: March 04, 2022, 11:10:18 AM »
Has anyone tried rub bricking on a rainy day? Seems like a good way to avoid inhaling concrete dust and give you something to do when you can't skate anyway.

I feel like that would reduce the friction between the concrete/asphalt and probably not work as well, I imagine itd be similar to when you rub brick after waxing without actually ruining the rub brick

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #245 on: March 04, 2022, 11:31:41 AM »
found a new curb spot last night so decided to make a lil edit there

https://www.instagram.com/p/Caq71FJgyez/

Dope spot and clips!
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #246 on: March 04, 2022, 11:38:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

rub brick, dust, 2 coats of clear coat, then wax to desired feel, you wont need a lot but you might need some

Allright sweet, thanks man!

Does it need any maintenance more than new wax? Prob not gonna skate it too much as the local is really close

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #247 on: March 04, 2022, 11:49:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Allright sweet, thanks man!

Does it need any maintenance more than new wax? Prob not gonna skate it too much as the local is really close

Definitely don't skip the rub brick, I just set up a new curb and started with the spray enamel instead of rub bricking first. It slides super nice, but isn't grinding very well yet.

However, I've found that just skating it is the best maintenance, at a certain point you won't have to apply new wax very often if at all.

jsettle

« Reply #248 on: April 16, 2022, 07:27:52 PM »
I just did 2 cans of clear enamel spray and alot of wax on this curb right down the road from my house and skated it for the first time today and definitely notice the difference between a rub bricked curb and non rub bricked like i did this one. It was super crusty at first and the more grinds i did and wax i added while skating it, it eventually started going pretty nicely and it wasn't the smoothest cement to begin with. Wish i would of done the rub brick, but the extra crust makes it that much more awesome while grinding through it. Got sketched out trying to rub brick it since its on the navy base but hyped i finally have one right by my house to skate whenever now. I think with enough clear enamel spray and wax you can get a curb going if you skate it alot, but the rub brick definitely makes it alot smoother of a grind. First 3 clips are on the new curb i fixed up and other random curbs/clips in the mix.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcbeOCRJMt4/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2022, 08:53:54 AM »
I just did 2 cans of clear enamel spray and alot of wax on this curb right down the road from my house and skated it for the first time today and definitely notice the difference between a rub bricked curb and non rub bricked like i did this one. It was super crusty at first and the more grinds i did and wax i added while skating it, it eventually started going pretty nicely and it wasn't the smoothest cement to begin with. Wish i would of done the rub brick, but the extra crust makes it that much more awesome while grinding through it. Got sketched out trying to rub brick it since its on the navy base but hyped i finally have one right by my house to skate whenever now. I think with enough clear enamel spray and wax you can get a curb going if you skate it alot, but the rub brick definitely makes it alot smoother of a grind. First 3 clips are on the new curb i fixed up and other random curbs/clips in the mix.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcbeOCRJMt4/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I’ve found the same thing, if you skip the brick but spray/wax and skate a curb enough, it’ll grind nice eventually. The biggest difference rub bricking makes (I think) is for slides. I rub bricked a taller curb nearby and it slides better than some skate park ledges. Super fun for slappie to tailslide/noseslide combos

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #250 on: May 06, 2022, 04:26:22 PM »

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #251 on: May 06, 2022, 04:28:54 PM »

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #252 on: May 06, 2022, 04:27:41 PM »

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #253 on: May 06, 2022, 04:44:32 PM »

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: May 06, 2022, 04:58:23 PM »
Rhymes with Bong Leech

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #255 on: May 06, 2022, 11:43:57 PM »

damn that little gap to double sided curb! so much options here.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2022, 06:35:31 PM »

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #257 on: May 10, 2022, 09:46:09 PM »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2022, 10:50:34 PM »
I am jealous of your slick American curbs. Here‘s what I work with. The truck eater. Makes nice grooves tho.

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #259 on: May 11, 2022, 03:06:45 AM »
Any grain size recommendations from rub brick users? Does it matter? Thanks!

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #260 on: May 11, 2022, 06:55:31 AM »
Any grain size recommendations from rub brick users? Does it matter? Thanks!

Not even sure what I have, the hardware store only had one when I bought it. I’ll check my kit and report back.

Edit: 20 grit. That’s worked well for me so far. I’ve done a long length of curb with spray, and I’m going to do a ledge nearby as well.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 07:23:46 PM by BartHarleyJarvis »

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #261 on: May 12, 2022, 03:10:25 PM »
Enjoying this kink today.

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 173
« Reply #262 on: May 12, 2022, 07:42:12 PM »
One a mate got going recently. Lots of potential at this spot. Mind the shitty fs slappy only learnt them that day

https://youtube.com/shorts/r91TxZMQvv8?feature=share

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #263 on: May 13, 2022, 05:31:45 AM »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #264 on: May 14, 2022, 07:15:13 PM »
https://youtube.com/shorts/Yw9XQiL7lPY?feature=share

Been meaning to show these off and a picture doesn’t do them justice. I got rained out after 15 minutes tonight but hey there was a rainbow.

I had no hand in getting these going and I’m forever grateful to the folks that did. I stumbled upon them going grocery shopping after moving to a different part of town, they are like 3 minutes from my house. I love this place.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #265 on: May 20, 2022, 04:20:18 PM »

Been meaning to show these off and a picture doesn’t do them justice. I got rained out after 15 minutes tonight but hey there was a rainbow.

I had no hand in getting these going and I’m forever grateful to the folks that did. I stumbled upon them going grocery shopping after moving to a different part of town, they are like 3 minutes from my house. I love this place.
Good lookin spot!!!

jsettle

« Reply #266 on: May 23, 2022, 04:13:38 AM »

These are in Virginia, correct? Norfolk/VA Beach area? My friend that runs the Curb Junkies instagram always skates here with alot dudes. There's a solid crew of old dudes who session there every weekenn im pretty sure. The corner always looks so perfect when they skate it.

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #267 on: May 24, 2022, 04:00:52 PM »
@jsettle yeah that's right! I've met some of the guys since I started skating the spot but my schedule never matches up with their big sessions. All really nice guys, and again I'm so thankful for the spot. Just realized that video is terrible too, just went from my phone to YouTube. Oh well.

jsettle

« Reply #268 on: May 24, 2022, 06:45:54 PM »
@jsettle yeah that's right! I've met some of the guys since I started skating the spot but my schedule never matches up with their big sessions. All really nice guys, and again I'm so thankful for the spot. Just realized that video is terrible too, just went from my phone to YouTube. Oh well.

Thats awesome! I lived in virginia beach area from 2010-2015....really good skate scene out there and that new woodstock park looks amazing too if your into parks. Williams farm is awesome too. Lots of really cool, nice skaters out there forsure.

ilovegay

• Rep: 9
« Reply #269 on: May 25, 2022, 07:05:06 PM »

That curb is so fun. I love to hit that thing up and then get a tasty burrito at el burrito jr.