Author Topic: Kareem Campbell  (Read 14530 times)

mboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -25
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Kareem Campbell
« on: January 16, 2019, 07:38:11 AM »
What the fuck happen to this guy back in the day to go from such a high profile skateboarder to pretty much invisible in every aspect?
Always though he probably had too much of an ego to ride for someone else company after running Menace/MNC/All-City/City Stars 1.0, but even second coming of City Stars was horrible and hardly any sign of footage from the guy himself.

Remember he had an interview in Juice a bunch of years back, never read it unfortunately. Would be awesome if someone for example could hook up some scans!

Beeda Weeda

Re: Kareem Campbell
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 07:46:36 AM »
he didn't have a part n street cinema, and I pretended to be surprised.
He didn't even look at a skateboard in the 411 day in the life.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 07:47:56 AM »
Calling Chopps. Let’s get a Chromeball going w Kareem!  Him and Rocco are the 2 I would love to know what they’re up to these days.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 07:48:12 AM »
Real estate business in Houston TX Area

C. R. E. A. M

• Rep: -74
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 07:54:54 AM »
He moved out of Cali now lives in Texas still skates and still runs City Stars as a local company he also does real estate... He owned Axion shoes also back in the day and was in Tony Hawk pro skater when they were making big money so he is paid... He said he was just over how wack the industry was at the time so he fell back around 2003...dude is a legend couldn't really see him riding for any of these companies tho...

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 08:50:16 AM »
Threatened to sue Bobshirt over Menace tees.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 08:54:49 AM »

That's so lame.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3288
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 08:56:54 AM »
Are you speaking specifically of Kareem "The Dream" Campbell?

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 09:02:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's so lame.
does that mean Bobshirt is responsible for MNC 2.0? who is that guy?

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 09:07:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

That's so lame.
[close]

Menace 2.0 or MNC, the current company that's making boards, is different. Bobshirt is a really nice guy named Tim, he runs the Deckaid board exhibit with his wife as well as the interviews. He made Menace tees awhile ago as an homage to/appreciation of the company in its heyday. I have one, he sent one to me when I bought some boards off him. He obviously wasn't making them to greatly profit off the Menace name so it's bizarre why Kareem would get litigious. I guess money really changes people.

goldenbullcow

• Rep: -406
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 09:41:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

That's so lame.
[close]
[close]

Menace 2.0 or MNC, the current company that's making boards, is different. Bobshirt is a really nice guy named Tim, he runs the Deckaid board exhibit with his wife as well as the interviews. He made Menace tees awhile ago as an homage to/appreciation of the company in its heyday. I have one, he sent one to me when I bought some boards off him. He obviously wasn't making them to greatly profit off the Menace name so it's bizarre why Kareem would get litigious. I guess money really changes people.

Homage or not... Nice guy or not... Dude probably should have asked..... If someone I didn't know from Adam started running reproductions of something I created and was proud of and was now defunct I'd be bent out of shape too.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 09:55:27 AM »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 10:03:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

That's so lame.
[close]
[close]

[close]

Homage or not... Nice guy or not... Dude probably should have asked..... If someone I didn't know from Adam started running reproductions of something I created and was proud of and was now defunct I'd be bent out of shape too.
Pretty much. You can’t just bootleg shit because you like it.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 10:25:10 AM »
Time for some Axion

https://youtu.be/pyL5H7q3Xfw

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 10:27:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

That's so lame.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm not saying your wrong but to me, since Tim ran the excellent Bobshirt site for many years and helped keep the World/Menace legacies alive in many ways, plus the fact that he only made a few shirts and didn't mass-produce them to cash in, that doesn't mean a lawsuit should be the outcome. I don't know all the facts but based on what I do know, it's petty to me. Like when Nikki Sixx sued Vans because they used a picture of him with Trujillo in an ad.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 10:46:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

That's so lame.
[close]
[close]

[close]

Kareem lost that trademark (never had one in the first place?) in the 90s, what kind of claim does he have to Menace now?
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

rapscallion

• Rep: -3
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 10:56:26 AM »

goldenbullcow

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 10:59:12 AM »
I don't know if he has the trademark or not but it's still wack to just start making shirts of someone else's design........ maybe not illegal... but still lame.

goldenbullcow

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 11:00:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

That's so lame.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm not saying your wrong but to me, since Tim ran the excellent Bobshirt site for many years and helped keep the World/Menace legacies alive in many ways, plus the fact that he only made a few shirts and didn't mass-produce them to cash in, that doesn't mean a lawsuit should be the outcome. I don't know all the facts but based on what I do know, it's petty to me. Like when Nikki Sixx sued Vans because they used a picture of him with Trujillo in an ad.

who's to say that Kareem even knew of or cared about what bobs shirt was about?  and do we know that he actually filed a law suit? 

UserFame

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 11:01:19 AM »
I already said this, but Kareem and Tyshawn Jones have really similar styles.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

goldenbullcow

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 11:03:33 AM »
I'm going to start selling knock off Louis vuitton bags on canal street as an homage

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 11:04:30 AM »

Tyshawn's thrasher cover reminded me of this as soon as I saw it:

I used to have that ad on my wall in high school.

UserFame

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 11:08:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tyshawn's thrasher cover reminded me of this as soon as I saw it:

I used to have that ad on my wall in high school.

Damn I remember that ad, everything Kareem Campbell related was so fresh back in the late 90s.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 11:11:53 AM »
i started skating when thps came out and he was the one guy out of everyone who i never saw anything about in skate media. seems he really dropped right out of the industry
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

cynical cow

• Rep: 27
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 11:43:16 AM »
I'm going to start selling knock off Louis vuitton bags on canal street as an homage
Not Louis.. they have scouts n shit who go to popular areas where knockoffs are sold and will sue your face off. Go with Gucci  :P

Dermbot

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2019, 12:14:22 PM »
He gave up Paul Rodriguez and said "you are welcome" then dipped

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 12:53:15 PM »
Menace was sick, but I always thought it would have been amazing if Kareem actually went to Chocolate like he was supposed to.

goldenbullcow

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2019, 12:59:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Not Louis.. they have scouts n shit who go to popular areas where knockoffs are sold and will sue your face off. Go with Gucci  :P

It won’t be an issue ... it’s an homage they will feel honored just like Kareem should have when Robert Shirt ripped him off

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »
Can we just get like two clips from him in 2019? I just wanna see a ghetto bird.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2019, 01:25:59 PM »

Two different situations there, Kareem.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

It won’t be an issue ... it’s an homage they will feel honored just like Kareem should have when Robert Shirt ripped him off

Don't refer to yourself in the third person, Kareem.