Author Topic: Honolulu  (Read 1128 times)

doyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 212
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Honolulu
« on: April 29, 2019, 11:53:27 AM »
Heading to Honolulu in June, staying near Waikiki Beach I think. I don't think we'll have a car, but does anyone have any suggestions of things to do/see/skate?

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
Re: Honolulu
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 12:12:02 PM »
Go Aala park for sure.  In June, skating it during the day is going to be brutal heat wise but won't be crowded at all. It has lights and gets crowded later.

Just a heads up. Waikiki is tourist central but majority of residence are pretty territorial and do not like foreigners even though tourism is the only thing really bringing in money to Hawaii. It's a completely backward mentality. So don't be surprised if people are rude because you are super white.
You're from up north right? Obviously definitely wear sunscreen.
Do not wear an aloha print shirt.

Not sure what destinations you want to check out but I am pretty sure Oahu has the worst traffic in the U.S. so not renting a car might actually make your stay more enjoyable

Not to be a negative nancy but definitely be weary of the ocean. it's obviously super unpredictable and deceiving.  Countless tourists drown every year because of them underestimating the oceans in Hawaii.

Just be cautious and you will have a good time!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 12:36:27 PM by HateFV »

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 04:36:32 PM »
Aala park is the epicenter of oahu skating
kapolei skatepark has 3 bowls that are all amazing
hawaii kai skatepark is all transition and is a good time.
bonzai skatepark on the north shore is all trannny and alot of fun. traffic is bad in oahu depending on what time day.
Highly reccomend getting a car and driving around the island though,If hiking is your thing theres tons of good hikes most are pretty tough if your going into the mountains.
I highly reccomend trying all the local dishes hawaii has very diverse food scene.  Shrimp trucks on north shore will be the best shrimp you have ever had.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 05:25:39 PM »
The above posters have the skate spots covered very well.  APB Skateshop is killer.

For food:

-Alicia’s Market in Kalihi (the char siu pork is insane.)
-Marukame Udon in Waikiki
-Iyasume Musubi in Waikiki
-Shirokiya Food Court at the Ala Moana Center (my personal favorite.  Japanese street food as far as the eye can see and cheap beer. It’s fucking glorious.  My moms first job was there in the 1960’s behind the makeup counter)
-Kahuku Superette for poke on the North Shore
-Paala Kai in Waialua for fried chicken and Spam musubi
-Irifune in Waikiki (the cream cheese and curry gyozas are heaven)
-Teds Bakery in Pupukea
-Opal Thai on the North Shore is some of the best Thai I’ve had in my life.
-Don Quixote in Honolulu is basically a Japanese Wal Mart and it’s fucking amazing for food and beer and candy and all kinds of cool gadgets.  I can’t recommend this place enough.
-Cholos in Haleiwa is a tourist trap and the food blows.

Don’t drive fast in residential areas.  Driving too fast in residential areas is a great way to get into a conflict.  Be nice to the kids in the skatepark even if they accidentally cut you off or snake.  Yell at a local kid and they may have a gnarly 300 pound Hawaiian  uncle that will give you slaps....even if the local kid looks white.  Respect is key.  Be nice and smile and appreciate the people and their beautiful culture and you’ll be fine.

The Polynesian Cultural center is fucking rad.

Have fun!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:36:24 PM by Dr Hfuhruhurr »

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 01:19:19 PM »
Bumped cause I didn’t want to start a new topic, anyone know where this spot in Oahu is at?

0:53 Nora does lip pop in
http://youtu.be/gyBr1OnF7Nc

Rick_Kane

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 04:14:51 PM »
The homeless encampment in Waianae has some of the best meth on the planet.

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 41
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 09:12:41 AM »
I’m heading to my the island in May. Where are the hood street spots/ curbs at?

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2024, 10:22:23 AM »
Seconding that APB is an awesome shop. Checked it out when I was on Oahu last year

They released a cool shop vid about a month ago:
https://youtu.be/s0GuMcATBzM?si=LLJByN1ti8UrUkLb
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 11:08:28 AM by Huell Howser »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2024, 08:52:25 PM »
I can't find it...but I watched the recent shitty kids vid and it seems pretty consistent to the spots/type of skating in oahu, just ok spots but still pretty fun.....